PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sisters To Conduct Jamaica Tennis Clinics

Marcell
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Williams sisters to conduct Jamaica tennis clinics

Associated Press

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Venus and Serena Williams will conduct tennis clinics for inner-city youngsters next week at two exclusive Jamaican hotels.

The clinics, which will be open to children from some of the island's poorest communities, will take place Monday at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel in Kingston and the Half Moon Hotel in Montego Bay two days later, Clive Fagan, director of a local group that organized the visit, said Wednesday.
Serena Williams, who won her eighth Grand Slam title last week at the Australia Open, moved up to No. 14 in the rankings. She had been No. 81 before the tournament.

Venus Williams, who has won five Grand Slam titles, had an injury-plagued season last year. She is ranked 50th.

The sisters learned to play tennis on public courts in Compton, California. When they turned professional as teenagers, they moved with their parents to Florida.

venus_rulez
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Awesome. Man these two have a such a big heart. :)

Craigy
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM
That's great, hopefully there will be pics so we can see Venus' wrist.

RenaSlam.
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM
Awesome. Nice to see they engage constantly with young children trying to better their lives :worship:

40-0
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
v´S wrist is back on right?

walk_away
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:42 PM
:eek: OMG. Awesome :cool: :woohoo: I hope Jamaica starts producing some tennis players. That country has so much talent. :bowdown: :worship:

vejh
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
So they will fly to Jamaica next week to come back and play tournies? Where is the link for the article, and where is the date for the article? besides, jamaican kids would much prefer football and cricket.

vejh
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
It's so weird. I only know of high school kids, not from inner-city communities that play tennis. I guess it's to give them a change to meet Serena and Venus? Weird.

Marcell
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/6427938?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199

volta
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM
That's great, hopefully there will be pics so we can see Venus' wrist.

ditts

stkenyi
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
I hope Serena tones some more on this trip

Rocketta
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Good Grief, when do these two ladies plan to give back to tennis! :fiery:

Keep up the good work, ladies. :yeah:

Mina Vagante
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:23 PM
YAY :bounce:

serena_anna
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:27 PM
That's realy great!:worship:

Knizzle
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Oh wow, I thought they were just going purely for vacation.

I'm sure the kids will listen intensely to the OZ champ and her sister. :yeah:

sweetpeas
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks Venus and Serena Williams. thank

ico4498
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
this Jamaican thinks the Williams sisters rock!

dems my kinda people.

akosijepoy
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:19 AM
wow that's good news! :)

vettipooh
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Great for the kids and the Island! :bounce: Keep making noise, Ladies. You're the best!!! :banana: :hearts: :rocker:

Chriskip
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome to Jamaica Venus and Serena. We love you here. Moreso, I think sometimes, than your native country does.

And Serena, your body is just what the men here love too. You will be amongst (like) family if you do come.

vettipooh
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome to Jamaica Venus and Serena. We love you here. Moreso, I think sometimes, than your native country does.

And Serena, your body is just what the men here love too. You will be amongst (like) family if you do come.

:yeah::cool:

calabar
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM

They will be treated like royalty. The Anti - Indian Wells crowd if you will. Jamaicans are normally not big on "bourgeoise" sports like golf and tennis but Tiger and The Sisters have changed all that.

My sister, who lives in Kingston, told me that she happended to be in the market during Venus' first Wimbledon final (2000), and was blown away by the number of higglers (Jamaican for vendors) watching the historic match on portable TVs.

These women will be warmly received and no doubt will be wondering, why can't I get this back home?

Pureracket
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
Two bits of advice for them: Don't take that Zane guy with the watch because people in Jamaica will think he's gay, and he'll be killed. Also, if they are interested in returning to the "beads look," the Jamaican women can braid better than anybody else on the planet, and that includes my younger sister and her friends.

Vlover
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM

So true! As for Serena's body type, there she is a perfect 10. They love healthy looking T & A to boot.:D Hope they have a great time!:kiss: :hearts:

Yonexforever
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
They will be treated like royalty. The Anti - Indian Wells crowd if you will. Jamaicans are normally not big on "bourgeoise" sports like golf and tennis but Tiger and The Sisters have changed all that.

My sister, who lives in Kingston, told me that she happended to be in the market during Venus' first Wimbledon final (2000), and was blown away by the number of higglers (Jamaican for vendors) watching the historic match on portable TVs.

These women will be warmly received and no doubt will be wondering, why can't I get this back home?

you aint never lied... I cant believe the tons of people who dont give 2 shits bout tennis who was up watching Serena's match.
Hence ESPN2 gettings its largets Ever audience for a tennis match!!!
The sport NEEDS the Williams sisters if they are to reach beyond this elitist notion that the sport still maintains amongst non whites.

DEM GONNA LUV OONOO DUNG DERE!!!
:wavey: