PDA

View Full Version : The attitude of the British Tennis Establishment

laurie
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
A member of my forum posted an interesting article about a speech that was done by the Director of the Stella Artois Championships here in London. http://www.svetlanakuznetsovafans.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21

Apparently he believes only privilidged young people should be given the opportunity to play Tennis and get to the highest level simply because they would be more intelligent (through the privilege of a first class education) and therefore would be able to win more matches through their brain power.

This is a story that seems to have gone unnoticed almost when it should be a big story about why we never produce anyone over here of any note if attitudes like that continue.

Just wondered what your thoughts are on it?

jamesuk
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Reading that, I am glad Murray showed such contempt for the English. With attitudes like that of the Queens Club director, the English dont deserve any success on the world stage.

Mike_T
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Didnít stop Jennifer Capriati

laurie
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
Jebbifer Capriati :confused:

hingis-seles
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:54 PM

She won, like, 3 Grand Slam singles titles, an Olympic gold and was world #1, and shit, you know!?

laurie
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
She won, like, 3 Grand Slam singles titles, an Olympic gold and was world #1, and shit, you know!?

What are you saying exatctly? Are you saying she won despite the establishment in America?

Did you read the article?

jazar
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
the attitude of so many people regarding tennis in britain is soo shocking. you could talk about the problems all day.

in a way you have to be middle/upper class to get far, as coaching is expensive, especially at the top level. academies around the country are rejecting talented players who arent able to afford entry into the academy, in favour of quite frankly shit players, who have no potential and whose parents have shitloads of money. this means that players from less well off backgrounds are ignored. its just ridiculous.

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Apparently he believes only privilidged young people should be given the opportunity to play Tennis and get to the highest level simply because they would be more intelligent (through the privilege of a first class education) and therefore would be able to win more matches through their brain power.The problem there is that all you need to get an education at 'the highest levels' is parents with money. George Bush went to Yale. I rest my case.

canoe.
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:35 PM
It may also be worth remembering that Britain's last Wimbledon champion, Fred Perry 70 years ago,I bet this drives Virgina Wade, nuts.

Monica_Rules
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Education has nothing to do with how well you'll do in tennis:rolleyes:

Drive and a need to win is the important thing. Frankly i think the opposite to him is ture. People from less well off backgrounds who maybe didn't do so well in school would be best as they strive to make something of their lives.

Kart
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM
I've seen plenty of evidence that Tim Henman was middle class and priviliged but never much evidence that his tennis was better off because of it.

As I see it, the British tennis establishment's biggest problem is inspiring young people to be tennis players.

Not really that surprising thought given that this country only pays proper attention to the sport for two weeks in the year.

laurie
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Jon Henderson, the guy who wrote the article in The Observer newspaper, has given me the contact number of Ian Wight at the Queens Club. I contacted Jon today. Do you think its worth contacting Ian Wight and registering what people's thoughts are? I could always send him an email with links to the forums. What do you think?

jazar
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
i think ian is pretty old, so he probably wont really care

Mike_T
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Not being the sharpest pencil in the box.

laurie
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ok brainbox, didn't stop Jennifer Capriati from doing what? What has she got to do with the British establishment attitude? Cut to the chase.

BlkCampbell
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
As a Yank, I have always wonderered why Britain, home of Henry VIII, and other monarchs who enjoyed the game, has produced few champions. Well, this explains it, you have to be an aristocrat, landed gentry of some sort, or upper class to have access to facilities and training. It is very sad to imagine a world without Billie Jean King (played on public parks) and Evonne Goolagong who was born into poverty. I learned to play tennis through an inner city public parks program. By the time I was in the 8th grade I placed fourth in our city wide tournament. It saddens me that poor children in Britian do not have the same opportunities.

Geez, you have to be the daughter of a Laird to play tennis. No poor people allowed. Hopefully, new programs will be developed to teach ALL interested children the game of tennis. Until that time, it is highlly unlikely that Britain will produce any outstanding champions.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Well my thoughts are he said what he wanted to say in a totally wrong manner hahaha. Maybe he just meant that players nowadays should not only rely on power as their tool to winning. :P

A_S
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
That is one of the most obserd things ive ever read. I dont know what to say but thank god for andy murray. Hes pretty middle class to be fair but he has the attitude, drive and character to influence "the working class" as this ian wright would say, much more attitude than tim nice but dim henman (as much as i love him). I think he shot himself in the foot there. Tims nice conservative middle class nature is exactly what the game needs to move away from, it needs edge.

Pass me on this guys mail address if you could. Thank god he is retiring this year. the stella has always struck me as a bit of a rich boys playground anyway. much rather be at birmingham and nottingham.

Monica_Rules
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think this ones guys opinion counts for everyone at the LTA. With Roger Draper in charge i think a lot of the oldies with this view have gone, so the future looks better.

Essia
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Wow that has to be one of the most antiquated statements that I've heard for a long time. No wonder british tennis is in the state it's in with attitudes like that. :rolleyes:

Nico_E
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM
same old story with the british attitude, or should i say English... they think they deserve to have the greatest at every sport - just like that, but they are shit at most things to be honest, a real mindset of chokers and panickers amongst english athletes. and there is a stench of sad defeat about english sport all the time... just because some have an upper class background like this twit from the Queens Club.. doesnt stop them being as clueless as the rest when it comes to how to be a real street fighting champion of any sport.

they honour their great losers.
and the few who do something good are despised eventually.

laurie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
That is one of the most obserd things ive ever read. I dont know what to say but thank god for andy murray. Hes pretty middle class to be fair but he has the attitude, drive and character to influence "the working class" as this ian wright would say, much more attitude than tim nice but dim henman (as much as i love him). I think he shot himself in the foot there. Tims nice conservative middle class nature is exactly what the game needs to move away from, it needs edge.

Pass me on this guys mail address if you could. Thank god he is retiring this year. the stella has always struck me as a bit of a rich boys playground anyway. much rather be at birmingham and nottingham.

I'm planning on sending something to Ian Wight soon. I'll keep everyone here informed. Should be interesting.