PDA

View Full Version : Your backhand

tennisrocks123
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
What technique do you use on your backhand?

hanxu
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM

I think timing is the most importing thing, if you want to hit the ball hard and error free, hit it on the right time.

sfselesfan
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Two hands. I'm not very sophisticated with my tennis. I hit the ball flat. It's a hobby and I've never gotten too competitive with tennis.

SF

eshell
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I have a one-handed backhand and I love it! Not quite as beautiful as Justine's but often as potent.

darrinbaker00
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Prayer.

njnetswill
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM
I hit the ball very flat off that wing, but hit my forehand with a lot of topspin. Go figure.

Andy.
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:10 AM
My baclhand has and will always be my best shot. I hot it sort of like Lindsay/Masha technique wise and its just hard and flat but seems to always go in.

jacs
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:13 AM
My backhand is probably better than my forehand just because I can attack with it more. I used to hit it with a roll (well, I sometimes I still do) but then I adjusted my stroke to make it more compact (so I can recover better on running shots).

:)

ZAK
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
I use two hands, its my weaker ground stroke. I rarely hit winners off it, maybe once or twice a set. I guess just a consistent shot. I dont even know what my technique is, just boring typical two hander.

Derek.
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM
I have a two-handed backhand.

It's my best shot.

I love to go down the line and it's pretty fluid a la Danka. :angel:

iPatty
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:33 AM
I've taken the Safarova approach.

My left arm (I am right-handed) ends up straightened out after I finish my swing. It looks eerily similar to Lucie's and I didn't even copy hers. :scared:

It's my best shot though. I can basically hit any shot with it.

piercerocks
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:53 AM
two hands.. i'm trying to shorten my swing so it LOOKS like hewitt's lol.

right now its pretty good

matthieu_tennis
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM
My backhand is often very flat and i hit by backhand open stance in the run and attack with close stance

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:23 AM
2 hands, very flat and reminds me of Peschke, but I have a sliced one handed backhand I use

cartmancop
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:28 AM
2 handed, very flat...it's my best shot by far. Lots of pace, but I can use spin if I need to.

Also developing a very painful left wrist injury recently...idk if its from tennis though... Just like Vee :sad: Hopefully it's just sore from typing 1000 papers for school...

SM
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:31 AM
Single handed slice. I use the forehand to attack.

komorli
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:36 AM
I have a two-handed backhand. It use to be my best shot until I beefed up my forehand. but I can do a lot with my backhand, hit heavy topspin, roller, higher more neutral balls. I can flatten it out, but I can't make it totally flat and hard. but I use one-hand on the slice. It's just much easier to reach for balls and has more flexibility, and it's easier to cut through the ball and make it really heavy. Swing-wise: I kind of copied Nalbandian.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:10 AM
Mine is two-handed that is pretty flat, and actually has more bite than my forehand but it's way less consistent.

kinglear
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM
I think timing is the most importing thing, if you want to hit the ball hard and error free, hit it on the right time.

True, timing is important. Also, aren't short backswings the most solid way? My backhand is two-handed. I think another pointer is to always stay low. That's why they say "BEND your knees!" LOL

Porcupine
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:24 AM
2 handed, kinda flat but I'm working hard to put some spin on it. I use backhand in the baseline cos if I go near the net I can't hit a good backhand.
Actually, forehand is my best shot.

tennisrocks123
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:07 AM
does anyone use the open stance backhand??

DutchieGirl
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:10 AM
2 handed, usually pretty hard - it's much better than my forehand! :lol: Maybe I'm the only player to run around my forehand to hit a backhand! :lol:

austennis
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:18 AM
Double handed with plenty of topsin.. when its on its my best shoot

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:21 AM
I don't have a backhand b/c I've never played tennis before :sad:

Apoleb
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:26 AM
One handed. :hearts:

Derek.
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:30 AM
2 handed, usually pretty hard - it's much better than my forehand! :lol: Maybe I'm the only player to run around my forehand to hit a backhand! :lol:

I do that sometimes too. ;)

miffedmax
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:33 AM
I have a natural slice to my backhand. In fact, I can't hit a normal backhand at all. So I try to vary from a little to a whole buttload of slice. Now that I've gotten semi-serious about tennis again, I'm learning how to hit deeper slices.

Lefty.
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:35 AM
One handed. :yeah: I used to have such a big, long swing and if I hit it right, I would hit these great winners and stuff, but they would only go in like half the time. :lol: I compacted the stroke and it's a much more consistent stroke now. :D

No Name Face
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:55 AM
does anyone use the open stance backhand??

i do. exclusively.

aussie_fan
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:02 AM
One handed, i tend to just slice it, don't have much confidence with it all and when i occasionally drive it with my backhand i can get lazy with it, and it go into the bottom of the net or 100 miles long so then i tend to just go abck to slice. I try to run around it and use my double handed forehand which is my strength.

kittyking
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:02 AM
My backhands probably one of my worst shots, my forehands my best shot by far (typical of kiwi players)

I have a single handed backhand

Ben.
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:09 AM
i use 2 hands on my backhand, can hit it flat & s'times with a bit spin on it which makes the ball go a bit higher than what i intended to. my slice backhand is pretty pathetic, tryed it once & it just create a huge amount of spin which wasn't suppose to.

i like it when someone serves to my backhand in the deuce court & that's when i can hit return winners with great penetration.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM
I looks a lot like Vee's. Early takeback, full swing....:unsure: too bad it's not quite as good :lol:

Andy.
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:46 AM
No Sarah your not alone I do it as well :lol:

faboozadoo15
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:51 AM
my backhand is as good as my forehand only because it's super flat and deceptive while being consistent. but as any male player, it's nowhere near as explosive as my forehand. i prefer to return hard serves with my backhand though. i can hit with an open or closed stance and with the same takeback go down the line or crosscourt. it's an unconventional weapon.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM
one handed... strong down the line returns on deuce court and i can get lots of angle and if im having an off day or to break up the rhythm i slice it heaps.

Привет
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:24 AM
Prayer.
:haha:
One handed, i tend to just slice it, don't have much confidence with it all and when i occasionally drive it with my backhand i can get lazy with it, and it go into the bottom of the net or 100 miles long so then i tend to just go abck to slice. I try to run around it and use my double handed forehand which is my strength.
Double handed forehands :rocker2: Although if I ever wanted to play tennis seriously again, I'd have to go back to my single handed forehand, whoever coached me would probably make me :(
my backhand is as good as my forehand only because it's super flat and deceptive while being consistent. but as any male player, it's nowhere near as explosive as my forehand. i prefer to return hard serves with my backhand though. i can hit with an open or closed stance and with the same takeback go down the line or crosscourt. it's an unconventional weapon.
'But as any male player?' I'm a male player? I've always loved my backhand, always felt more natural to me. I've never thought that men generally have to have a better forehand :confused: Is this accepted that male players have better forehands than backhands? I'm not trying to start something, just curious of your opinions. :wavey:

backhand_user
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM
hello eveyone!
well, everything I know comes from watching Justine playing, when I saw the technique of that girl I thought "wow, this is how I want to use my raquet!"
and I have tried a lot to learn how she hits her groundstrokes. my one-handed backhand is very similar to hers, some people even tell me it's the same and it's really effective as well!

jazar
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM
i play a double handed backhand and i use the same grip as my forehand, but i use my left hand to bring the racket face back so it is not quite as closed, otherwise i would hit the ball straight down

Ben.
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:07 AM

your a bit like molik there who slices with her backhand numerous amounts of times. if you want to gain confidence with your backhand then you got to start hitting those drives more often (still use the slices though cause it's good to mix it up) even if you make loads of mistakes in the beginning & just commit to the shot fully without any doubt in your head about your backhand. easier said than done i know but if you can do it, it might pay off in the long run.

or talk to your coach about it if you have private lessons that is. i begin my private lessons on tuesday morning (pretty early :yawn: :lol:)

Alicia Rocks
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:52 AM
Double-handed backhand. Pretty powerful, can get topspin, can't slice with it :help:

Single-handed forehand: Patty S. forehand :lol: (Yes i'm a lefty ;) ), kind of powerful, but rather have heavy topspin, can slice it but not good.

crazillo
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Two hands, a bit flat, sometimes my swing is not 100%, but I'm working on it. Have got a very good slice.
I am consistent, but sometimes I lack the pressure I can definitely exert a lot easier on my FH side.

aussie_fan
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:57 AM
your a bit like molik there who slices with her backhand numerous amounts of times. if you want to gain confidence with your backhand then you got to start hitting those drives more often (still use the slices though cause it's good to mix it up) even if you make loads of mistakes in the beginning & just commit to the shot fully without any doubt in your head about your backhand. easier said than done i know but if you can do it, it might pay off in the long run.

or talk to your coach about it if you have private lessons that is. i begin my private lessons on tuesday morning (pretty early :yawn: :lol:)

I have group lessons which sometime next week again, i'm sure i'll be working on it again there.

Usually, i hit one backhand drive down the line to pass some one and it's usually a good shot but then after i just spray it everywhere. It's a shot i have to work on

DutchieGirl
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM
I do that sometimes too. ;)

pfft - go away - I wanted to be original. :p :angel:

DutchieGirl
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
No Sarah your not alone I do it as well :lol:

Damn it! :p

Ben.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:11 AM
I have group lessons which sometime next week again, i'm sure i'll be working on it again there.

Usually, i hit one backhand drive down the line to pass some one and it's usually a good shot but then after i just spray it everywhere. It's a shot i have to work on

private lessons would be good but then again it's the cost that's the problem. i suppose it'll take you time for your backhand to become a more consistent shot.

aussie_fan
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:16 AM
private lessons would be good but then again it's the cost that's the problem. i suppose it'll take you time for your backhand to become a more consistent shot.

yeah, the cost is the problem, they are fairly expensive.

Ben.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM
yeah, the cost is the problem, they are fairly expensive.

i don't how much my private lessons cost but i can afford it.

although it depends on much clubs charge you.

Mon.
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
2 handed backhand works better for me cause the one handed can go into every direction expect the one where I want it to go :lol:

By far my weakest point, my backhand, so I almost always use it with slice.

supergrunt
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
I have a two-handed backhand and I try to use the open stance which is actually, in my opinion, more effective. I can really only hit good, deep backhands when I hit it cross-court but my dtl is getting much better :) !

papru
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM
I have double-handed backhand which is very flat, especially down the line is whoa! :D and actually i dont like playing backhand crosscourt, its OK but never brings me many winners, contrary to dtl :drool:
My single-handed backhand is used only when i wanna slice it but my slice sucks, it never looks like slice but after it hits the court it just stops without any rotation and an opponent often takes advantage of it :lol: :help:

LDF
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:49 PM
I use a 2-handed backhand :)

My down the line shot has really improved over the last few months, and I'd say it's now at a point where it's more effective than the cross-court. I hit my backhand pretty flat, though it's still a bit less error-prone than my forehand. I normally only resort to a one-handed slice if I'm stretched wide or if I'm lunging for a ball, but I am trying to develop a slice approach.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:58 PM
2 Handed of course :rocker: , Very powerful..., have a very good, natural, one handed slice and use it frequently, and not only when streched... I love to hit my backhand... its very, very flat and i hit many winners i with it... it was the only shot i could hit when i started lol... along with my slice forehand :o

Now for my forehand :o... its not that bad but i hate it... its an EXTREME Western grip so i have mega trouble with high balls which sux big time.. i do hit alot of winners with it.. but i do hit many errros :(

eugreene2
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:23 PM
My back-hand is a mess although getting better. I actually played tennis last night & it was all over the place. By the end of the night, it FINALLY started to go in.

I use a two-handed backhand. However, my forehand is a riot. POWERFUL

Craigy
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Two-Handed, Not as big as my forehand but still less consistent :lol:

I<3Myskina
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:44 PM
I use double handed but my backhand isn't a reliable as my forehand. But I much prefer to hit winner off the backhand than forehand, it just feels much better.But

40-0
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:12 PM
I have a two handed backhand, i learn with it and i will stick with it, since im really flexible, but when i have to run to the left i use slice more like. I have more power with the backhand than the forehand, but i think still is a defensive shot for me, when its on i can do some damage really, i have venus backhand, i play open stand, even tho im not tall. I like my backhand , i doesnt break as much as my forehand!

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Two Hands Flat With Back Leg Rise Often

Mightymirza
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM
one handed flat!!

Dominic
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:26 PM
:haha:

Double handed forehands :rocker2: Although if I ever wanted to play tennis seriously again, I'd have to go back to my single handed forehand, whoever coached me would probably make me :(

'But as any male player?' I'm a male player? I've always loved my backhand, always felt more natural to me. I've never thought that men generally have to have a better forehand :confused: Is this accepted that male players have better forehands than backhands? I'm not trying to start something, just curious of your opinions. :wavey:

Yes it is accepted it's actually accepted that every tennis player has a better forehand than backhand. The forehand is just soooo much easier to master. Most ppl when thay start playing tennis actually dont even have a backhand, they always run around it or not hit the ball at all. Anyways pro players do develop their backhands to be about equal to their forehand but its still much easier to hit hard and to put lots of spin with the forehand and thats why 90% of players will choose their forehand side when they receive a ball in the middle of the court. The backhand is often the shot that is consistant and reliable but the forehand is the shot that wins or loses points.

treufreund
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
very strong one hander or one handed slice. sometimes use two hands when it jams me and that shot is not too bad either.