PDA

View Full Version : Canada will host Israel (fed cup) in....Kamloops

itzhak
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
KAMLOOPS CHOSEN AS FED CUP SITE

Canada to host Israel in World Group II tie

Tennis Canada announced Tuesday that Kamloops Sport & Wellness Centre in Kamloops, British Columbia will play host to Canada’s upcoming Fed Cup by BNP Paribas competition. Canada will face Israel from April 21-22, 2007 in the World Group II on Taraflex (carpet), indoor courts. The event will mark the first Fed Cup tie in the City of Kamloops and third time in the Province of British Columbia (Vancouver, 1987 and 1996). Historically, Canada captured its lone tie against Israel in Fed Cup play, having won their World Group tie in 1972 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg, South Africa.

“Kamloops is a terrific Canadian sporting locale and our team is excited to host Israel in April,” expressed Rene Simpson, Canadian team captain. “We look forward to showcasing this world-class city to the international tennis community.”

Canada advanced to the World Group II following its 3-2 victory over Argentina at Edmonton in July. The Canadian team of Aleksandra Wozniak (Blainville, Québec), Stéphanie Dubois (Laval, Québec), Marie-Ève Pelletier (Repentigny, Quebec) and Sharon Fichman (Toronto) finished 2006 with an all-time best ranking of No. 10 in the ITF.

The countries that are victorious in the World Group II tie will advance to the World Group I playoffs, while the losing nations will compete to remain in the World Group II competitions for 2008.

“Hosting the Canada-Israeli Fed Cup teams is a fantastic way to showcase this new multi-sport facility that puts the Tournament Capital of Canada on the international stage,” says Kamloops mayor Terry Lake " The Fed Cup of tennis will be the first prestigious event held in Kamloops’s new $25 million indoor fieldhouse."

Day One begins at 1 p.m. local time and Day Two will begin at 12 p.m. Tickets, which start at $20 per day, will go on sale on January 29, 2007 and are available through Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.ca.

About the Fed Cup

Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the largest annual international team competition in women’s sport, with 89 nations entered in 2007. The event was established in 1963 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the ITF. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas, the Official Bank of Fed Cup, while Wilson Sporting Goods (Official Ball) is an international partner.

About Tennis Canada

Founded in 1890, Tennis Canada is a non-profit, national sport association responsible for the development of tennis across the country. It is one of the oldest national sport associations in Canada. Tennis Canada owns and operates two of the premier events on the ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA tours, Rogers Cup men’s and women’s events that rotate annually between Rexall Centre in Toronto and Uniprix Stadium in Montreal. Tennis Canada is a member of the International Tennis Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Canadian Paralympic Committee and the International Wheelchair Tennis Association, and serves to administer, sponsor and select the teams for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, the Olympic Games and all wheelchair, junior and senior national teams.

About Kamloops

The City of Kamloops is the Tournament Capital of Canada. Situated between Vancouver and the Alberta border, Kamloops�is the business and travel hub of British Columbia's southern interior.� It is a thriving cosmopolitan city of 85,000 residents, where shopping, entertainment, artistic expression, and sporting challenge are found in full measure.� Kamloops is renowned for its enthusiastic volunteer base when hosting regional, provincial, national,and international events. Residents recently committed to their support of tournaments by investing more than $43 million in world-class sport, recreation, and wellness facilities.

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/Pub/DisplayNewsStory.aspx?NavID=43&ContentID=3800

It is indeed very nice place but the real reason is that if they would play in one of the big cities, it would became Home clash for Israel- there are huge jewish and Israeli communities in these cities...

shirgan
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well, sounds interesting

Good luck Israel :)

Ryan
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
If only I could go....

Anyway, good luck to both teams. What do the Israelis think of the surface selection? Our girls - Aleks especially - does her best on the clay I think, but overall I think its a pretty good choice to play Israel indoors. I disagree about creating a Canadian/Israeli clash in a big city, I think it would be great for the tie. If they wanted Partisan crowds they would have picked Montreal.

shirgan
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I don't exactly know what is taraflex, but clay I think would have been an advantage for Israel

TS
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Wow, Kamloops :eek:

I like both teams, but I'll go for Canada!

P_Fer
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Go Canada!

Or Levy
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone here is really happy about the surface, Shahar can handle it (though she didn't play much on it), but Anna favors clay a lot better than any other kind of surface. Wouldn't be our first choice, or the second.

The location could be so much better, I've been to kamloops several years ago, and it's a beautiful place, but not exactly the best place if you want to find Israelis/the Jewish community.

Smart move by Canada, LOL.

Dor Y
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Good luck Israel!!

Drake1980
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm so excited. I hope I can go.

akosiirwyn
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:26 PM
kamloops :rolleyes: why not vancouver??? hehe jk

Reckoner
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Honestly, Kamloops? Seems like a very odd place to me.

Either way, good luck Canada.