PDA

View Full Version : Oh how the stories can change

Chriskip
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:59 AM
It seemed that for a long time when the Williams sisters were being dominant all the critics could talk about and hope for was the day when some other girl (to their liking...and by that we all know what was meant) would beat them at their game and style of play. They had perfected what the likes of Monica Seles had started....the power game. But Lindsay and Jennifer didnt do that much to beat them at it so they had to look elsewhere.

Then came Maria, who beat Serena on her favourite turf at Wimbledon. And oh how they rejoiced because a new darling had been born who they thought hit the ball just as hard and had the "right" looks, exactly what they had been searching for all this time. Didnt matter that the nationality wasnt the one they preferred, but thats a small matter considering they hoped she may even switch allegiance someday. Anybody would do for then to do the job at hand to displace the "out of place" ones. She was hailed for her power, aggression, mental strength among other things and they claimed she was better at it than the misfits. Better yet a number of the other young girls who now it the ball hard kept cropping up from all over the globe. And even they became even more welcomed than the Proven Two.

Gone were the days when the power game was criticized and downplayed as brute force and not real tennis. Now it was the norm and players were rated before games on how "hard" they are able to hit the ball. In fact even players like Justine who adopted the hard hitting game was complimented on this, while they tore down another Proven One, Martina, for not having the will-power to stick it out when the type of play changed (..... well they said that until she came back on the scene last year, when like the hypocrites they are, their stories changed again...blah ...blah...blah).

Then after not even a month into the new year a certain unfit player, over the period of just 2 weeks, showed that its never a good idea to give up on the Proven Ones, and in her words "never to kick them while they are down". She showed that power play is more then just merely hitting a ball hard a few times and screeching for effect. She dismantled a final before some of the naysayers had enough time to round up their gang and chill the champagne that was going to be used in the celebration when their fave won.

They were at a loss. And in keeping with their true style what did they do? After a few hours, when they couldnt ignore what had transpired they offered a few tongue in cheek praises. Then they resorted to their tactics of a few years back.....lets all just bash her style of play, the same style they were praising the finalist and others for just 2 week before. They had good reason to do this, because if its one thing they are sure of its that when it comes to bashing the Proven Two they will always have support in numbers from many others "in the know".

Only time will tell what happens from here where the Proven Two are concerned, but one thing we can all be sure of, nothing they do will ever be enough, even if they are being copied by many of the other upstarts. All these so called journalists need to be more objective in their thinking and talking. Some seem never to learn that the more you put down some players its the more motivated they become to prove them wrong. They criticize them when they are playing and winning and when they take time off they knock them for not being serious about the game.

Also many of whom they have relied so heavily on to carry the torch and knock the "out of place" ones out of the game, have buckled under the pressure. Why cant they realizes that these girls will go when they are good and ready?

Since it seems everybody has become a journalist in the last few days, I have written my piece too. Who knows, maybe I will be "discovered" by one of those agencies that pay for some of the crap I have seen put out recently. I may have something to do later on when this medical field becomes too much for my liking.

RJWCapriati
Jan 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Good piece you got there :)

cellophane
Jan 30th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Did you copy and paste this recycled "HATERS!!!!!!" piece from the 1347304573056405 other threads on the subject? :) Actually, you might have saved all the space just by writing that one word.

shooze4ever
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Really liked this Chrisip, thanks for sharing.

"Topaz"
Jan 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
:yeah: Right on, Chriskip!

I kind of knew this power thing wouldn't go away for ever. This is why I kept my signature the same since the heydays of power bashing. As you can read below, Serena had to tell people she wasn't only using her power. Has Sharapova ever had to make such an apology for using power? Nope, in her case, power was (is) celebrated: "make every shot a power shot".

Obviously, as you insinuated, Chriskip, power is not and never was the real issue.

Infiniti2001
Jan 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
:worship: :worship:

hotandspicey
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM
word!! You did a damn good job on that piece.:yeah:

venusdemilo
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I liked this very much Chriskip. :worship: (Gosh I use that icon a lot LOL)