PDA

View Full Version : Tacticts for clay?

40-0
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Okay is clay season on my country and im playing my very first tourney next week. I just found out that its on clay, i have only play once and i won the match, but i need some tricks so i can pull my first round match, where im gonna draw a top 10 :fiery: . I know drop shots and slice (which i do pretty well/ are pretty important. But what else should i take in consideration!! :p I know long rallies will mean that my shots should be at their best, I can look for almost everyball on the court. I need to learn how to return a kick serve, they drive me nuts. Help :wavey:

UPDATE!

OMG OMG I WON THE TOURNEY!!! On my category of course!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Saved a match point and won 10-9 on the tie break... i was down 6-9 :eek: my fight spirit! :worship:

thanks guys!

Wednesday
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Just be patient with your shots and hit with more topspin than you would on other surfaces.

40-0
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Just be patient with your shots and hit with more topspin than you would on other surfaces.

Talking about topspin! I have lots of it, and my shots are pretty deep, specially when im under pressure! My racket ncode pro 100 helps a little with the top spin. Thanks!

iPatty
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Don't go for big shots early in a rally.

Get a lot of clearance over the net with your shots.

Vary your shots, with a lot of slice, topspin, and occasionaly surprise your opponent by hitting a big flat shot.

Try and slide whenever possible.

To return a kick serve, try and take it as early as possible, so it doesn't bounce to high. If you back up and let it drop, your opponent will take advantage of your positioning.

40-0
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Don't go for big shots early in a rally.

Get a lot of clearance over the net with your shots.

Vary your shots, with a lot of slice, topspin, and occasionaly surprise your opponent by hitting a big flat shot.

Try and slide whenever possible.

To return a kick serve, try and take it as early as possible, so it doesn't bounce to high. If you back up and let it drop, your opponent will take advantage of your positioning.

:wavey:

Hashim.
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM
use lots of topspin...

LefandePatty
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Dropshots ! :drool:

No Name Face
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:11 PM
really, just stay in the point. you CAN play aggressively on clay, but be prepared to hit the shot more than once.

make sure you can slide, it saves time.

i LOVE playing on clay, but it's not for everyone's game. i wouldn't recommend making a clay court game, per se, just make sure your game is consistent enough.

skanky~skanketta
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM
i've lost more matches on clay than won. that's thanks to my old forehand which used to land really really short. baseliners would finish the points off at the net on CLAY against me. plus, the ball always felt a whole lot heavier.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
lie on the ground and bathe yourself in the clay to get the real experience

I<3Myskina
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
lie on the ground and bathe yourself in the clay to get the real experiencenadal style.:lol:

Jem
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM
One really smart tactic is to hit behind people. For example, I love the following combo: hit wide to a forehand, then wide to the backhand, wide to the forehand, then really go for another big shot wide to the forehand. Lots of times, you catch them off guard. If you play your cards right, you can really work people over on the forehand side, especially on clay.

Steffi Graf had a massive forehand, but she was vulnerable to the wide shot on her forehand side.

Stavie
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Okay is clay season on my country and im playing my very first tourney next week. I just found out that its on clay, i have only play once and i won the match, but i need some tricks so i can pull my first round match, where im gonna draw a top 10 :fiery: . I know drop shots and slice (which i do pretty well/ are pretty important. But what else should i take in consideration!! :p I know long rallies will mean that my shots should be at their best, I can look for almost everyball on the court. I need to learn how to return a kick serve, they drive me nuts. Help :wavey:

ask Justine ;)

jujufreak
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
ask Justine ;)

:D Yeah, watch a lot of Justine's matches and just try to do the same :cool:

40-0
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
ask Justine ;)

,exactly i wanted a juju fan so they could tell what the fuck she does to win clay... im not a fan tho

papru
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
I must say I dont see much difference between playing on clay/grass or for example decoturf. I mean of course the way you play and not the way a ball kicks :p I always try to play as flat and deep as it's possible but it's just the way I feel most comfortable in. You shouldnt think 'God Its clay and not synthetic' just do what you can do best and everything gonna be ok :wavey: For me its kinda silly thinking - its clay so i must use topspin, it doesnt help if you dont like it ;)

LoveFifteen
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
,exactly i wanted a juju fan so they could tell what the fuck she does to win clay... im not a fan tho

1. Fake cramps when the momentum shifts in favor of your opponent.

2. Cheer loudly every time your opponent makes an error.

4. Deny, deny & deny again!

jazar
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
when i play on clay, or a hardcourt as well actually, i stand about 6-10 feet behind the baseline. it gives me a few feet extra to hit the ball so i can hit it harder and bring my big forehand into play. it also means a lot of running, so i would only advise it if you are very quick. but slice is also a good tactic, but only if you have a good slice the stays low and skids through

DavidEllul
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
1. Fake cramps when the moment shifts in favor of your opponent.

you're such a psyco..pathetic hater :lol:

UncleZeke
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM
The better you can slide on clay, the closer you'll come to your potential on that surface.

jazar
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
The better you can slide on clay, the closer you'll come to your potential on that surface.

plus its very fun

ce
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
i always go for my shots,but thats me

Andy.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Gosh I hate clay, I have played on it and it just pisses me off, it doesnt suit my style at all (toally one dimentional flat power drives) and people just keep getting the balls back and eventually ill make an error. Plus i hate is when people use variety on me like the slice, looping balls and drop shot. Good luck

Beny
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Patience , topspin, long rallies, don`t try to make it short, attack after a short ball(that`s not only for clay :lol:) + try dropshots after second serves of your opponent. I did it twice yesterday and I succeded both times ;)
I love playing on clay btw.

Europe rocks
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Stay mentally strong. If you feel that you can't do it, you wont. Remain positive and if things are going wrong, don't let your opponent see you are frustrated because they will just let you make the error

40-0
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM
OMG OMG I WON THE TOURNEY!!! On my category of course!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Saved a match point and won 10-9 on the tie break... i was down 6-9 :eek: my fight spirit! :worship:

thanks guys!

LudwigDvorak
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I actually find coming to net on clay to be very effective. I mean, it's not quite as effective as on grass of course, but if someone who's playing on clay and hates it, coming to net is what I'd advise. I hate standing behind the baseline, and I have no power anyway, so slices, spins, and netplay is what gets me around on clay. Granted, I've only played on green clay which is faster anyway, but I've seen Petrova do the net well on red clay, so lolz.

Hashim.
Feb 16th, 2007, 05:40 AM
1. Fake cramps when the momentum shifts in favor of your opponent.

:lol: