PDA

View Full Version : Paris 2007

goldenlox
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Anna plays Paris indoors, which has 10 of the top 13 in the field.
She comes into Paris 9-1 in 2007. Anna won Hobart and reached the AO quarters.

selyoink
Jan 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
This is a very tough field. Anna would do well just to make the quarters.

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Kim is out, it's Justine's first tournament. I expect Anna to get her 4th title in Paris

selyoink
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:29 AM
You have very high expectations for Anna then. I will be satisfied with a semi-final appearance.

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Anna has to stay hungry. That's why Sharapova wins. It's not for money, it's hunger for wins.
Peer just lost her first match in Tokyo after making the AO QF. You have to want to win every match you play. Anna is 9-1 this year, she has to fight for every point.

Wintermute
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Anna was wise to skip Tokyo. (Just wish Daniela had done the same. :sad: )

She is sitting just outside the seeding zone so could be a dangerous floater in the draw unless another top player withdraws. There's a few seeds I think she could take down.

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Anna couldn't play 10 matches at Hobart and the AO, then play Tokyo the next week. Maybe next year she'll skip the week before the AO and play Tokyo.

Wintermute
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
Maybe next year she'll skip the week before the AO and play Tokyo.

I think next year Anna will be Gold Exempt and that will decide her schedule to an extent. So no Hobart next year.

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM
It could be Sydney before the AO, or Tokyo after. Or like Jankovic, play both.

Wintermute
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Open Gaz de France
Paris, France
February 5-11, 2007
Tier II
Prize Money: $600,000
Surface: Greenset/Indoors

Website: www.opengazdefrance.com (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/?page=default&section=open_2007&lg=en)

Prize money and points:
Winner............$88265.....275
Finalist..........$47125.....190
Semi-finalist.....$25240.....125
Quarter-finalist..$13500......70
2nd Round..........$7230......35
1st Round..........$3855.......1

Singles:

(1) HENIN, Justine vs Bye
LOIT, Emilie [WC] vs DANIILIDOU, Eleni
GOLOVIN, Tatiana vs CORNET, Alizé [WC]
BYCHKOVA, Ekaterina [Q] vs (6) SCHNYDER, Patty

(3) KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana vs Bye
SREBOTNIK, Katarina vs COHEN-ALORO, Stephanie [Q]
SAFAROVA, Lucie vs PIRONKOVA, Tsvetana [Q]
REZAI, Aravane vs (5) VAIDISOVA, Nicole

(7) SAFINA, Dinara vs KRAJICEK, Michaella
PIN, Camille [WC] vs SZAVAY, Agnes [Q]
MULLER, Martina vs RADWANSKA, Agnieszka [LL]
Bye vs (4) PETROVA, Nadia

(8) CHAKVETADZE, Anna vs POUTCHKOVA, Olga
MEDINA GARRIGUES, Anabel vs BREMOND, Severine
DECHY, Nathalie vs GARBIN, Tathiana
Bye vs (2) MAURESMO, Amelie

Doubles:

(1) Black/Huber vs Razzano/Rezai [WC]
Bremond/Cohen-Aloro vs Beygelzimer/Szavay
(3) Husarova/Peschke vs Daniilidou/Woehr
Jans/Voracova vs Gagliardi/Sfar

Garbin/Krajicek vs Kuznetsova/Petrova
Bovina/Chakvetadze Foretz/Pin [alt] vs (4) Dechy/Loit
Navratilova/Uhlirova vs Ehritt-Vanc/Muller
Birnerova/Medina Garrigues vs (2) Safina/Srebotnik

Wintermute
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
(8) CHAKVETADZE, Anna vs POUTCHKOVA, Olga

Seriously, Anna and Olga must be getting sick of playing each other. Anna has had two very close matches against her at Hobart and Guangzhou.

Also interesting to see Anna has hooked up with Elena Bovina in doubles. Unfortunately they get a seeded pair in round one.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
It's a decent draw for 2 rounds. This is a strong field for a Tier II.

BUBI
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Has Anna played Amelie before? That could be interesting match :)

Wintermute
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Has Anna played Amelie before? That could be interesting match :)

Oh I'd definitely like to see that. Amelie beat Anna at Berlin last year. But she was riding high then and at the moment she's not playing as well.

P.S. Why Soup?

Pink Princess
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
http://www.admarplus.ru/kremlin/img/chakvetadze_3.gif

Davai Anna:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: Come on!!!

Sund7101
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I think this is a good draw for Anna. She can at least make the quarters and will see against Mauresmo. I think Anna has the game to beat her. I have high expectations for Anna and I think she is going to do very well.

smokovec
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
If Anna reaches QF she can beat Mauresmo for me, it's not the best moment for Amelie, but we play in French...

Good luck Anna in this Tournament.

selyoink
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
It is a great draw through two rounds. And Mauresmo is very beatable but I'd expect her to play well here since she did poorly at the Australian Open.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Get the first win. That's what Anna should be thinking about.

Cat's Pajamas
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Anna has a great draw to the quarters, but Amelie is Amelie and this is Paris, she doesn't seem to get the wierd nerves like at Paris RG. Still I think Anna can beat her, and she's got a great draw to get there.

Bovina/Chakvetadze :hearts: Great team, I hope they can win some rounds! :yeah:

Ballbasher
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM
All the best Anna :D

Wintermute
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Get the first win. That's what Anna should be thinking about.

Exactly! Check the head-to-head:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8036/chakpouth2h1qa9.png

Ignore the first meeting which was ages ago. Their last two matches have been really close and both involved tie-breaks in the first two sets. A player can have a lucky day and a tie-break can go either way. I think it could be tough. A difference in Paris is that it's indoors so no weather conditions to contend with; I think that'll help Anna who bases her game on minimising errors.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Good luck Anna :D :hearts:

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Anna in Paris

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1064/insidetennischakvetadzeww3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Anna has been very consistent. If she keeps that up, the top 10 is within reach

selyoink
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Anna's hair is even longer than I realized.

Foot's Fingers
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
vs Olga - hate the draw

Nice to see her playing doubles with Lena B

Wintermute
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
So Anna is out of the doubles now Lena has withdrawn with a trapped nerve. :sad:

Pink Princess
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Anna does not play until Wednesday.

cosmoose
Feb 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Good Luck Anna! :banana:

goldenlox
Feb 6th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Should be a good match with Olga. I'm looking forward to Anna playing again.
She had a lot of chances against US trained, US raised, US based Sharapova. But couldn't take advantage of her chances. You have to close when you're up 5-3.

selyoink
Feb 6th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Should be a good match with Olga. I'm looking forward to Anna playing again.
She had a lot of chances against US trained, US raised, US based Sharapova. But couldn't take advantage of her chances. You have to close when you're up 5-3.

She will learn from that experience.

goldenlox
Feb 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Melbourne was a success, even with the loss in the QF.
Now Anna has to stay healthy. There's the super Tier I's, and 3 more majors coming up.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Olga and Anna are first up tomorrow

Foot's Fingers
Feb 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Good Luck Anna!!!

GeorgianFan
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Go Go Anna:cool:

NyCPsU
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
good luck anna :D
i hate that your playing olga though :(
but of course i want anna to pull through :bounce:

soul
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone!
Ihave been searching here for a long time and finally i managed to create my own account here.I hope u all do welcome me
And ı wish ANNA ALL THE BEST in this tournament and get the ranking she has already deserved

BUBI
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Welcome!

Anna's match should start in 25 minutes :bounce:

soul
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
:) :) Hello everyone!
Ihave been searching here for a long time and finally i managed to create my own account here.I hope u all do welcome me
And ı wish ANNA ALL THE BEST in this tournament and get the ranking she has already deserved

Pink Princess
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Come on Anna:bigclap:

Pink Princess
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
3-2 for Anna

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Anna won 62 60

cosmoose
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Anna wins! :worship:

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Anna is now 10-1 this year.

Pink Princess
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Anna won:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: with a donut :devil:

BUBI
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Good start for Anna! :bounce:

Foot's Fingers
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Impessive scoreline Anna :eek: :banana:

Sund7101
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Great match from Anna, she is playing so well.

GeorgianFan
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
6-2 6-0 Wow:bounce:

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Impressive start. Things will get tougher

TennisPlayingFox
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Very nice win Anna! keep it up!

Ballbasher
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Really impressive Anna :worship:

selyoink
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
A great start to the tournament. I was confident that Anna would win but she really demolished her.

smokovec
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Anna continue to play very well! :worship:

Next match against Medina, 4-0 for Anna in the H2H, on Carpet, Hard and Clay.
The only possible problem is to understimate the Spanish, but I think Anna don't make this error.

goldenlox
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Anna should win this next one.

Wintermute
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wow! Great result for Anna. :) I was wrong about this match, I thought it would be a really close contest but once again Anna is sending out a message.

Is Olga going into a bit of a sophomore slump after breaking through last year? Anna romped all over her service games winning 60% of return points.

Anyway I think this win means that for the first time Anna's ranking will comprise 17 tournaments where she has won at least one match in all of them. :yeah:

Next up AMG. Go Anna!

Wintermute
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Anna Chakvetadze (defeated Olga Poutchkova 6-2, 6-0):
My opponent did not play very well today, I guess she had troubles with the surface here, which she had not had the opportunity to practice on yet. At times, she was almost not there, but I know that is not her usual level because I have had much tougher matches against her in the past.

I lost my first matches here two years in a row, so I am definitely not going to complain after this win! If I reach the quarterfinals, I will have to face a French player and I know the fans will not be cheering for me, far from it. But that is sport, and I am the one helped by the fans when I play in Moscow. I will try to remain focused and to pay to much attention to how spectators cheer for my opponent.

Anabel Medina Garrigues (defeated Séverine Brémond 6-2, 7-5):
I am very happy to have won this match, all the more since the second set was a close call. Between the first and the second set, she started playing more sliced shots. It hindered me. Spanish players are keener on balls with higher rebounds.

With Chakvetadze we know each other well, we’ve played against each other four times and I’ve always lost. She’s a strong player, we’ll see what happens tomorrow but I am already really happy to have won a match because indoor is not my favourite surface. It gives me confidence for tomorrow.

Official Site (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/article_151885_Quotes.html)

Wintermute
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
This is from the tournament website's preview of Thursday's play.

Two Russians seeds will also hit the court to try to qualify for the quarterfinals. Nadia Petrova (n°4) is the big favourite in the match opposing her to the German Martina Muller (n°37) whom she always blatantly dominated in their only two previous confrontations. Anna Chakvetadze (n°8), nicknamed the « Russian Hingis » because of her outstanding style amid a Russian school slightly stereotyped, should overcome without any major difficulty the unexciting tennis of Anabel Medina-Garrigues.

Well they get straight to the point don't they? :lol: I know it's translated from French into English but still...

Foot's Fingers
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Good Luck Anna

Make it 5-0
in h2h

It would be the first time in matches between them when Anna will be ranking higher
+ from last meeting Anya won 3 titles already

Foot's Fingers
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Anna Chakvetadze (defeated Olga Poutchkova 6-2, 6-0): « My opponent did not play very well today, I guess she had troubles with the surface here, which she had not had the opportunity to practice on yet. At times, she was almost not there, but I know that is not her usual level because I have had much tougher matches against her in the past. I lost my first matches here two years in a row, so I am definitely not going to complain after this win! If I reach the quarterfinals, I will have to face a French player and I know the fans will not be cheering for me, far from it. But that is sport, and I am the one helped by the fans when I play in Moscow. I will try to remain focused and to pay to much attention to how spectators cheer for my opponent. »

soul
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: She is such a matured girl that tells her sentences.Respects to her opponent,knows what waits her in the next round.....
Well Done Anna
Keep on winnig

smokovec
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Today the exact opposite of the Match with Poutchkova, when we expected a difficult Match and Anna win easy.

With Medina this Time not so good, but Anna win, this is very important, and tomorrow I can see Anna on Eurosport against Mauresmo (I think).

BUBI
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
WOW... what a fight by Anna 4-6 6-4 6-4http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/bananas/047.gif

AMG served very well in first two sets... Anna was able to break her only once :eek:

In 3rd set Anna showed that she is mentally tough ;)

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/bananas/047.gif

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
46 64 64, a close match. She will have to play better in her QF

soul
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Very very closed match as it seems but it does not matter till she wins from my point of wiev she must have learned a lot from this match That is for sure
congratulations anna keep on winning:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TennisPlayingFox
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Way to fight Anna! Good luck in the quarter finals!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:28 PM
this was too much of a struggle but Anna got thru

saw last few games of it.....Anna picked it up and should have won at 52.

Anna #12 on ranks now and a chance of getting to #11 with another win tomorrow.

Foot's Fingers
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
fighting win and seeds status confirmed
That's good!!!
Hope she will make some troubles for momo

cosmoose
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Anna will beat Momo!

(i hope) ;)

Hant11
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Video Chakvetadze / Guarrigues from 3/2 to 6/4 3rd set

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=126G69SF

Wintermute
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
:bounce:Good fight! This is the first time AMG has taken Anna to three sets so I guess she was really up for it today. Anna still owns her though. :p

Anna's final ranking next week will depend in part on how Dinara does but as TBE said she's at least #12. :)

Wintermute
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.sport365.fr/medias/sporever/sport365_300x135/tennis/femmes/52017_CHAKVETADZE_080207.jpg

Relive the chat session with Anna Chakvetadze

Here are the highlights of Thursday afternoon’s chat session with Anna Chakvetadze. (Photo: DR)

Tom: People often compare you to Martina Hingis because of your game analysis, what do you think about this comparison?
Martina is an incredible player but I don’t like being compared to others. Each player is unique. We all have different personalities and styles.

titi: What are your goals this season?
To make it in the top 10, then we’ll see…

henry: Who is your best friend on the WTA tour?
I get along well with all Russian players, but my best friend is probably Elena Vesnina, my former doubles partner.

Olivier: Given the number of excellent Russian players, maybe throughout your career you won’t have the opportunity to make it to the Olympic Games or the Fed Cup… Don’t you feel like taking on Norwegian of Bahamian citizenship?
It’s true that several of us have the opportunity to play in Russian teams. For the Fed Cup, you have to keep in mind that the coach decides. As for the Olympics, I still have enough time to improve my ranking.

anna: Who is the player you dread most on the circuit?
Nobody. The top 10 players are obviously very hard to play, but I’m not scared.

mymycoucou: Even if you play against a Frenchwoman, either Amélie or Nathalie, I hope that you will have a good match and that the public won’t be too much against you, because you’re a sweet player.
Thanks, it’s true that it’s going to be very difficult for me in these conditions, but I also think it will be a very interesting game.

vic: Who were your idols when you were younger?
Steffi Graf, I admired her a lot, and also Mary Pierce.

rafa: Apart from Federer, who do you enjoy watching on the men’s circuit?
I really like to watch Marat Safin, but only when he wins because when he looses, he gets angry and sometimes it’s not pretty to watch…

Tennis: Why do so many Russians play so well at the moment? Do you have a secret?
Of course we have a secret, but I won’t tell you! (laughs)

jearmy: If you have to pick a tournament, which one would you like to win?
One of the Grand Slams, any one…

Coach: If you could steal a shot from your opponents, whose serve would you take? Whose forehand? Whose Backhand? Whose volley?
I’d like to take Roddick’s serve, Gonzales’s forehand… As well as Federer’s backhand and mental. Then I’d be world number 1, easy! No one could beat me. (laughs)

go anna: How do you deal with the stress before a crucial match?
I listen to music, I isolate myself, I think about my game plan and the way I have to play.

momo: What is your favourite city in the world?
My native town, Moscow.

MariaKirilenko: Anna, do you have a boyfriend?
No I don’t but if you would like to introduce me to someone… No problem! (laughs)

Tony K: What are your hobbies?
Unfortunately I don’t have much time for a hobby. I know it sounds boring, but really, it’s not…

Lator: According to you, who is the sexiest player?
Errr… Fernando Gonzalez!

paulo: Apart from tennis, who are your favourite athletes or who is your favourite team?
I love football, especially Chelsea and Milan AC. I also like wrestling because a lot of my friends practise this sport.

Dudu: Who is your favourite actor?
I have no favourite actress, but among the actors, it’s Johnny Depp.

bob: What kind of music do you like?
Depends on my mood but when I go out I like R&B better… Before a match I like to listen to Prodigy to wake up!!!

Open Gaz de France site (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152134_Relive_the_chat_session_with_Anna_C hakvetadze.html)

Wintermute
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Steffi Graf, I admired her a lot, and also Mary Pierce.

Depends on my mood but when I go out I like R&B better… Before a match I like to listen to Prodigy to wake up!!!

Maybe she is modelling her look on Mary Pierce after all. :lol:
And Anna likes the Prodigy! :crazy:It'll certainly wake you up - well, their older good stuff anyway!

GeorgianFan
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
4-6 6-4 6-4 Real fight!:cool:

Momo is next:angel:

Pink Princess
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5015/chakvetadze3oy2.jpg

C'mon Anna :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Tomorrow the match stars I believe that she can triumph.

goldenlox
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Win or lose, Anna will move up to a career high next week.
She' is on her way to the top 10.

Ballbasher
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I think Momo will be very tough but I hope she can make it and she could even become already #11 :eek: Would be awesome but I dout it ;) All the best Anna! :D :hearts:

Wintermute
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM

You rock! :rocker2:Thanks for this great quality vid.

Looks like Anna lost her concentration a bit when serving for the match at 5-2 and she played a few careless shots but AMG was also trying to be aggressive.

Good to see Anna finishing off some approach shots using drive volleys with apparent ease, something she seemed unable to do against Sharapova in Melbourne. Either she's been practising them like mad or she was lying when she said she wasn't nervous against Masha.

Anna has some strapping around her left calf - hopefully nothing too bad. I'm not sure how she'll do against Amélie but I expect it to a lot closer than their last meeting.

selyoink
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
A tougher win than I was expecting but still a win. I hope she takes down Mauresmo tomorrow.

BUBI
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM

BTW, if Megaupload asks you to install some toolbar, DO NOT do it!. Its full of spyware and might screw up your computer. You can donwload without installing:

For mozilla firefox:
First go to http://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/
Click Install Now to install addon.
Restart FF. Tool-->User Agent Switcher--->Options--->Options
Click User Agents--->Add
Type this:
+ Description: MEGAUPLOAD
+ User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Alexa Toolbar)

Click OK twice to finish adding User Agent.
From now, before downloading any file on megaupload just go Tools--> User Agent Switcher--->MEGAUPLOAD.

For IE:
Start/run->> type regedit -> ok
Go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform]

Note: if U use IE 7
go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]

Right click on Post Platform > New > String Value > type Alexa Toolbar > ok

Now U can download from megaupload without error : "All download slots (..) assigned to your country (....) are in use"

hu2891601
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Anna thinks Gonzalez is the most sexy player on tour..:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:

cosmoose
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:12 PM

Thank you so much for the link! :worship:

I was wondering if the moderator can start a "sticky" thread of Anna's videos on/off court?

smokovec
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Today the exact opposite of the Match with Poutchkova, when we expected a difficult Match and Anna win easy.

With Medina this Time not so good, but Anna win, this is very important, and tomorrow I can see Anna on Eurosport against Mauresmo (I think).

Petrova-Safina on Eurosport. :(

We see what happens tomorrow against Mauresmo... Good luck Anna!

Wintermute
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/library/200x250/chakvetadze%2007paris%20thurs%20200.jpg

Next up for the No.2-seeded Mauresmo will be No.8 seed Anna Chakvetadze, who got past Anabel Medina Garrigues, 46 64 64. The two have played once before, in the round of 16 at Berlin last year, with the Frenchwoman winning, 64 62.

"It will be an interesting match against Chakvetadze," Mauresmo added. "She is a dangerous player, and knows how to mix the game well; not only can she hit the ball very hard, but she can also slice and do different things. She had a great season last year, and has started very well so far this year. I just need to focus on the things that I did well today, like my serve."

wtatour.com (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1127)

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Paris vs AMG

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/184/chakvetadze00lq9.jpg

Sund7101
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I'm so excited for her match against Amelie, I have a strong feeling that Anna is going to play awesome. Go out and win Anna!

Foot's Fingers
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Anna Chakvetadze (n°8) vs Amélie Mauresmo (n°2)

The Queen of Coubertin will have the honours of finishing off the daily programme. Amélie Mauresmo, winner of the 2001 and 2005 tournaments played a serious match on Thursday to get rid of her friend Nathalie Dechy 6-3, 6-2. Against the Russian Anna Chakvetadze, she will be wary. Unpredictable and keen on variations, the former world n°1 will have to take control of the match. Since their only previous confrontation –won by Amélie (6-4, 6-2) last year on clay court in Berlin- the Moscow player has made great progress. Her success in the Moscow Tier I last year, enables her to come close to the Top 10, at only 20. Nicknamed the « Russian Hingis » because of her game analysis skills, Chakvetadze can Theahinder any player. Will she still be able to do so with Amélie who will be the crowd’s favourite? Answer will come early tomorrow evening.

Good Luck Anna

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Still a few hours away. Should be a good match.

cosmoose
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Chaky down a break. 2-4

cosmoose
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Chaky loses first set tiesbreaker. sigh.

Wintermute
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
She's done really well to get back into that set though. Her first serve wasn't working well at all in the early stages and she saved several set points at *2-5 down. Unfortunately she double faulted at 5-5 in the tiebreaker. Nerves maybe?

Still it's very close and could go either way.

BUBI
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM
6-7 5-7 :sad:

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
76(5) 75
Similar score to her loss in Melbourne. She has to finish these close sets better against top players.
Now it's on to Antwerp

cosmoose
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
6-7 (5), 5-7

Anna fought well but once again, she comes up little short against the top elite players. First it was against Masha in AO, now against MOMO in Paris.
(I don't consider Petrova, Lena D, Schnyder types to be the top elites)

Her serve is deserting her during the most crucial points.
Is she choking? not enough experience? :sad:

Wintermute
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately Anna double faulted at break point 5-5 all in the second set. Add this to the double fault in the tiebreak which gave Amelie set point and you've got to say Anna's serve let her down today, big time. :sad:

Great fight from Anna though. She saved 3 match points at the end. She has it within her to beat Amelie and I'm sure one day she will. :)

#12 in the rankings next week. :bounce:

CarlosTevez
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
She's getting really close now against these elite players, tho. It's just crucial times in the matches where its getting away from here. I think it's just a matter of time before she wins over an Henin, Mauresmo or Sharapova type player. Just needs to improve her serve a bit I reckon.

BUBI
Feb 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Total points won:

Amelie 89
Anna 85

Very similar score than against Masha :shrug:

GeorgianFan
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
6-7 5-7:sad: :angel:

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I'm taking a positive view. Now she will have a chance to get to Antwerp and rest for a day. Maybe she will take out a tired Nadia, like Moscow.

Pink Princess
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Anna:( :( :( Again like in Australian Open, 4-2 for her in the tie-break and with 5-5 is inexcusable mistake, in the last set always above though many difficulties to do break! One great match though it is necessary to be able to take advantage of your opportunities obviously if not impossible to obtain the victory.

soul
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: Let's look at some poitive way; another experience but i still cant believe how she lost while up against2-5. maybe the crowd might affected her.
She will be a tough opponent one day but not yet but i wish that to be much more quicker

goldenlox
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Of course, you want Anna to play great during the big points. But even if she won a set, it doesn't mean she wins the match.
She's #12, still with very little to defend for a while.
Things are still good. And she knows she has to finish sets better than this.

cosmoose
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Anna didn't learn her lesson from AO.
When you have elite player on the ropes, you have to go for the jugular.
This wasn't an impressive showing against a top player, but rather a missed golden opportunity.

Sund7101
Feb 10th, 2007, 02:53 AM
This is still a positive tournament for Anna she is so close against the very top of the game. I think she'll be solidified in the Top 10 by the time the French Open comes along. She's moving on up and it will be exciting to see how far she'll climb this year.

selyoink
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM
She played Mauresmo tough and that is a positive sign. She isn't getting blown away by the top players so she is showing that belongs at the top of the game.

smokovec
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I look to the positive things, Anna have great statistics, with only 3 Matches lose in the last Months.

She can play well against Mauresmo or Sharapova, but in the topic moments at this Time Anna is unable to take the Points for winning the set, I wait and I'm confident that in the future we can see more.

Wintermute
Feb 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Anna won the Point of the Day on the Open Gaz de France website (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/multimedia/videos.html#). Head there and click on Résumé du 9 février - Open 2007. It's about halfway through. It also shows match point. Anna looked pretty upset at the end. :sad: :hug:

Sund7101
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Anna won the Point of the Day on the Open Gaz de France website (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/multimedia/videos.html#). Head there and click on Résumé du 9 février - Open 2007. It's about halfway through. It also shows match point. Anna looked pretty upset at the end. :sad: :hug:

WOW! What a shot by Anna. She did look very upset at the end there, she knows she can beat these top players. She'll learn from this though I think she'll be Mauresmo next time they play.

goldenlox
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:29 AM
We can't expect everything at once. Anna has been super for months. She can't win every match, but she will do really well. Next year will be Gold Exempt and appearance fees. The money will continue to pour in for Anna.

andrewbroad
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
==================
OPEN GAZ DE FRANCE (Paris, France; indoor hard (Greenset), WTA Tier II)
================== http://www.opengazdefrance.com/ (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/)

ANNA CHAKVETADZE [8]:
1r + Olga Poutchkova, 6-2 6-0
2r + Anabel Medina Garrigues, 4-6 6-4 6-4
qf - AMÉLIE MAURESMO [2], 6-7 (5/7) 5-7

After being stuck at #13 in the rankings since 23rd October 2006, Anna moves up to a career-high #12 this week! :)

------
Photos
------

On court:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=chakvetadze (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=chakvetadze)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=280396&page=6 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=280396&page=6) (and p.5)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=284300&page=4 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=284300&page=4) (pp.4-5)
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1127 (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1127)
Search Getty Images for "chakvetadze"

Anna's left calf is strapped in what I presume is her second-round match, and certainly in her quarter-final.

Off court:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/?Event=paris (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/?Event=paris)
http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152134_Relive_the_chat_session_with_Anna_C hakvetadze.html (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152134_Relive_the_chat_session_with_Anna_C hakvetadze.html)

It's nice to see Anna be the subject of such a photoshoot! A little too much makeup for my liking, but the cuteness is certainly there.

------
Videos
------

First-round highlights ("Résumé du 7 février"):
Second-round highlights ("Résumé du 8 février");
Quarter-final highlights ("Résumé du 9 février"):
http://www.opengazdefrance.com/multimedia/videos.html (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/multimedia/videos.html)

The quarter-final video contains two separate points from Anna's match against Mauresmo. Firstly, Anna wins the point of the day (a crosscourt forehand pass-winner from an unlikely position); secondly, there's the match-point.

-----------
First round (Wednesday 7th February)
-----------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [8] d. Olga Poutchkova, 6-2 6-0

Anna won the last 10 games of the match, which she completed after just 52 minutes.

Olga won only 40% of the points on her own serve.

Anna has now beaten Olga three times in a row, but the previous two times were much tougher (7-6 3-6 6-1 at Guangzhou 2006, 7-6 7-5 at Hobart 2007 - Anna went on to win both those tournaments).

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com):
>>>
Chakvetadze blew past fellow 19-year-old Russian Olga Poutchkova, 6-2 6-0, in just 52 minutes. She held her serve with ease and broke her compatriot in five of her seven service-games, eventually clinching her 20th win in her last 22 matches.
<<<

PA SportsTicker:
>>>
Anna Chakvetadze clearly has carried some momentum from her brilliant performance in the Australian Open.

The eighth-seeded Chakvetadze cruised to a 6-2 6-0 victory over Russian countrywoman Olga Poutchkova on Wednesday in the first round of the Open Gaz de France.

The world's 13th-ranked player, Chakvetadze made a spirited run at Melbourne two weeks ago, advancing to the quarter-finals before losing a battle with top seed Maria Sharapova.

Playing for the first time since her match with Sharapova, the 19-year-old Chakvetadze had little trouble with Poutchkova, firing three aces and converting five break-points to improve to 10-1 this season.
<<<

Anna quotes
-----------

"My opponent did not play very well today. I guess she had troubles with the surface here, which she had not had the opportunity to practise on yet. At times, she was almost not there, but I know that is not her usual level, because I have had much tougher matches against her in the past.

"I lost my first matches here two years in a row, so I am definitely not going to complain after this win!

"If I reach the quarter-finals, I will have to face a French player [Mauresmo was due to play Nathalie Dechy in the second round], and I know the fans will not be cheering for me - far from it! But that is sport, and I am the one helped by the fans when I play in Moscow. I will try to remain focused, and [not] to pay too much attention to how spectators cheer for my opponent."

Anna's diary updated:
http://www.theannachakvetadze.com/ (http://www.theannachakvetadze.com/)

------------
Second round (Thursday 8th February)
------------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [8] d. Anabel Medina Garrigues, 4-6 6-4 6-4

When I first checked the live scoreboard, Anna was serving for the third set at 5-2 (30/40). For a while there, I feared that "Chokevetadze" would rear her pretty head again! ;)

Anna is now 5-0 head-to-head against Medina Garrigues, but their previous four matches were much easier for Anna (most recently 6-1 6-4 in the Guangzhou 2006 final).

Reuters:
>>>
Medina converted one of her two break-points to edge the
first set, but Chakvetadze's efficient groundstrokes eventually
saw the Russian through after two hours and nine minutes.
<<<

PA SportsTicker:
>>>
The world's 13th-ranked player, Chakvetadze converted a pair of breaks in the second set, and two more in the third set, to improve to 11-1 this season.
<<<

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10004383):
>>>
Looks like Anna lost her concentration a bit when serving for the match at 5-2 and she played a few careless shots but AMG was also trying to be aggressive.

Good to see Anna finishing off some approach shots using drive volleys with apparent ease, something she seemed unable to do against Sharapova in Melbourne.
<<<

Anna's chat-session
-------------------

[I have inserted my own comments in square brackets.]

http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152134_Relive_the_chat_session_with_Anna_C hakvetadze.html (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152134_Relive_the_chat_session_with_Anna_C hakvetadze.html)
>>>
Here are the highlights of Thursday afternoon's chat-session with Anna Chakvetadze.

Tom: People often compare you to Martina Hingis because of your game-analysis, what do you think about this comparison?
ANNA: Martina is an incredible player, but I don't like being compared to others. Each player is unique. We all have different personalities and styles.
[Anna = Hingis + good serve + flairsome power!]

titi: What are your goals this season?
ANNA: To make it in the top 10, then we'll see...

henry: Who is your best friend on the WTA Tour?
ANNA: I get along well with all Russian players, but my best friend is probably Elena Vesnina, my former doubles-partner.

Olivier: Given the number of excellent Russian players, maybe throughout your career you won't have the opportunity to make it to the Olympic Games or the Fed Cup... Don't you feel like taking on Norwegian or Bahamian citizenship?
ANNA: It's true that several of us have the opportunity to play in Russian teams. For the Fed Cup, you have to keep in mind that the coach decides. As for the Olympics, I still have enough time to improve my ranking.

anna: Who is the player you dread most on the circuit?
ANNA: Nobody. The top 10 players are obviously very hard to play, but I'm not scared.

mymycoucou: Even if you play against a Frenchwoman, either Amélie or Nathalie, I hope that you will have a good match and that the public won't be too much against you, because you're a sweet player.
ANNA: Thanks, it's true that it's going to be very difficult for me in these conditions, but I also think it will be a very interesting game.

ANNA: Mary Pierce.
[So that's where she gets that hairstyle from!]

rafa: Apart from Federer, whom do you enjoy watching on the men's circuit?
ANNA: I really like to watch Marat Safin, but only when he wins because, when he looses, he gets angry and sometimes it's not pretty to watch...

Tennis: Why do so many Russians play so well at the moment? Do you have a secret?
ANNA: Of course we have a secret, but I won't tell you! <laughs>
[It's all in the mental attitude. They are hardened by their tough childhoods in Russia.]

jearmy: If you have to pick a tournament, which one would you like to win?
ANNA: One of the Grand Slams, any one...

Coach: If you could steal a shot from your opponents, whose serve would you take? Whose forehand? Whose backhand? Whose volley?
ANNA: I'd like to take Roddick's serve, González's forehand... As well as Federer's backhand and mental. Then I'd be world number 1, easy! No one could beat me! <laughs>
[I would never have inducted Anna into my Eternal Fanship if she didn't have a two-handed backhand - that's an absolute requirement for me.]

go anna: How do you deal with the stress before a crucial match?
ANNA: I listen to music, I isolate myself, I think about my game-plan and the way I have to play.

momo: What is your favourite city in the world?
ANNA: My native town, Moscow.

MariaKirilenko: Anna, do you have a boyfriend?
ANNA: No I don't, but if you would like to introduce me to someone... No problem! <laughs>
[Now I rue being too shy to talk to her at Birmingham and Eastbourne even more! ;)]

Tony K: What are your hobbies?
ANNA: Unfortunately I don't have much time for a hobby. I know it sounds boring, but really, it's not...
[Good grief! There's dedication.]

Lator: According to you, who is the sexiest player?
ANNA: Errr... Fernando González!
[He's with Gisela Dulko. Actually, González is now my favourite player in men's tennis, though I don't appreciate him on as many levels as Anna does!]

paulo: Apart from tennis, who are your favourite athletes, or who is your favourite team?
ANNA: I love football, especially Chelsea and Milan AC. I also like wrestling, because a lot of my friends practise this sport.
[So much for Anna having no hobbies. Of course, it's traditional to wrestle naked. In custard.]

Dudu: Who is your favourite actor?
ANNA: I have no favourite actress, but among the actors, it's Johnny Depp.

ANNA: Depends on my mood, but when I go out I like R&B better... Before a match I like to listen to Prodigy to wake up!!!
<<<

Medina Garrigues quotes
-----------------------

{before the match}

"With Chakvetadze we know each other well; we've played against each other four times, and I've always lost. She's a strong player. We'll see what happens tomorrow, but I am already really happy to have won a match because indoor is not my favourite surface. It gives me confidence for tomorrow."

-------------
Quarter-final (Friday 9th February)
-------------

- ANNA CHAKVETADZE [8] lt. AMÉLIE MAURESMO [2], 6-7 (5/7) 5-7

Well, at least it was close this time! :o

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com):
>>>
Mauresmo battled for two hours to get past No.8 seed Anna Chakvetadze, 7-6(5) 7-5.

It was a struggle from start to finish; Mauresmo broke for a 5-3 first set lead, but watched as the in-form teenager, who had won 20 of 22 matches going in, broke back and took that set to a tiebreak.

The players were also neck-and-neck in the second set, with the Frenchwoman finally securing a break in the penultimate game before serving it out.

She is now 2-0 lifetime against the Russian.
<<<

Julien Pretot (Reuters):
>>>
The Russian world number 13, who won the Hobart tournament last month, saved two set-points on her serve before breaking back to stay in contention and force Mauresmo into a tiebreak that the Wimbledon champion won 7/5 after 67 minutes.

Both players held serve until the 11th game of the second set, when Mauresmo decisively broke her opponent to serve for the match as Chakvetadze burst into tears.

Mauresmo wrapped up the victory on her fourth match-point after battling for just over two hours when Chakvetadze sent a backhand wide.
<<<

I saw Anna burst into tears myself at Eastbourne 2006 (she was crying as she came out to serve at 2-5 in the third set against Vera Zvonarëva (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/zvona/), and burst into tears when she lost that game and the match).

http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152382_Amélie's_experience.html (http://www.opengazdefrance.com/open_2007/article_152382_Amélie's_experience.html)
>>>
Pressured, Amélie Mauresmo ended up defeating Anna Chakvetadze after a very close match 7-6 7-5 that lasted 2h01m.

Anna Chakvetadze showed wonderful resilience to Amélie Mauresmo, who was forced to resort to her greater experience to join Lucie Šafářová, Justine Henin and Nadia Petrova in the semi-finals.

Brave, outstanding in her returns and always keeping her eyes on the ball, the young Russian aged 19 gave the n°1 French player a rough time. Mauresmo knew that she had to be extremely wary of this player on the rise already ranked n°13 in the world. Defeated with the honours, Chakvetadze, who was in tears at the end of the match, defended her ranking with bravado, and can certainly leave with the feeling of a job well done after threatening the former n°1 world player.

Under the eyes of George Govan and Aravane Rezaï who came to cheer for her, Amélie was warmly greeted by the Paris public when she entered on the court around 19:33. She started the match tense. She certainly won her serves, but with difficulty and without any brilliance. Yet the French broke first at 3-2 thanks to a forehand winner.

With her big lifts [topspin] and decisive attacks, Mauresmo dug the gap 5-2. Three set-points then logically came to reinforce her superiority (0/40, Chakvetadze serving). But the Muscovite came back with surprising power. Mauresmo missed a fourth opportunity before being caught up 5-5 by the audacious Russian who took advantage of her faults and wood shots[?].

The outcome was revealed after a close tiebreak which reflected the set. Chakvetadze was the first to break free, thanks to the Frenchwoman's faults and by winning her serve (4/2). At that point, the Russian made youthful mistakes, first missing an easy forehand and then an ordinary backhand (4/4). In the meantime, Mauresmo reinforced her game. At 5/5 the Russian continued on her 'suicidal' run by making a terrible double fault. But in the same stride, Mauresmo seized her chance and made a backhand dropshot volley (7/5).

The second set was similar, but without the breaks. Chakvetadze kept giving Mauresmo a hard time. Just like in the first set, the Russian gave way by making another double fault at the most crucial moment of the match, when she had to save two set-points at 5-5.

On Mauresmo's serve, the Russian brushed away the threat once. After missing her first three match-points, the French easily won the fourth one, and jumped in the air as she finished the match.
<<<

Anna quotes
-----------

{before the match}

"It is going to be hard for me, in front of the French crowd. But I do not fear anyone, and I think it is going to be great tennis."

Mauresmo quotes
---------------

{before the match}

"It will be an interesting match against Chakvetadze. She is a dangerous player, and knows how to mix the game well; not only can she hit the ball very hard, but she can also slice and do different things. She had a great season last year, and has started very well so far this year. I just need to focus on the things that I did well today, like my serve.

"Tomorrow my quarter-final match will probably be tough. Chakvetadze has been playing since the beginning of the year. She has a very interesting game, and does many things with the ball. She is capable to hit powerful shots from the baseline, to rush up to the net, and to do slices. She's a dangerous player."

[Interesting analysis. I've only seen Anna hit sliced backhands when stretched, and only come to the net for easy putaways, but her slice does keep low enough to be an effective approach-shot if she wants to add this dimension to her game.]

{after the match}

"I'm happy to have got through these two matches - especially today's against a solid opponent. It was good to be pushed to the end of both sets, and now I just need to recover for tomorrow.

"I feel mostly satisfied with how I dealt well with those two matches, especially the one I played today against an opponent that played a very strong game.

"I just could not afford to relax and stop focusing, because lowering my attention, even for a minute, could have been very dangerous. She really pushed me far on both sets, so I'm glad I ended up passing the test. Now, I'll have to make sure I recover physically.

"She does not let anything go. I wish I had pushed harder when I was leading 5-2 in the first set.

"It has been a great test, physically and mentally."

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/chakv/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/chakv/) (added 2 external links)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anna_Chakvetadze/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anna_Chakvetadze/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)