PDA

View Full Version : aussie_fan's AO Report, Pics are slowly being added

aussie_fan
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I've decided to make my own report of the Australian open, i was there for the first 5 days, this was only my second year that i've gone (i live in melbourne) it was great, sorry if i ramble on too much:

Day 1:
After getting to Melbourne Park at about 9.15am (had to get up at 7, takes me about 1 hour and a half to get there) and getting my ticket and waiting for the gates to open at 10am, i went straight to MCA to get ready for the Wayne Arthurs match but i was able to see Sophie and Casey train together, they were just seemed surprised that people were coming in to watch them, they seemed in good spirits. Then Srebotnik came on and trained for a bit as well, i didn't take much notice, i was trying to work out my camera. Then the Wayne Arthurs started, Wayne is probably my favourite male singles player and to see one of his last wins was great. He looked gone after two sets but the crowd got behind him and once he got that thrid set tiebreaker you felt like something was happening and if lifted wayne and before you know it he won it. Wayne served solidly, not much else to say about the match, it was a typical arthurs match. The end was fanastic, everybody was going crazy and wayne's reaction was priceless. One of the favourite moments of the week. After getting a late lunch, i went straight back to MCA to see Casey Dellaqua match versus Srebotnik. I have only seen Casey a couple of times on tv but she surprised the way she played this match. She was dominating the first set with her groundstrokes and katrina couldn't do much about it. For the first set and a half Casey was like this until Casey seemed to get under pressure and started hitting a few UE's and kartina go into the match and started controling the play. Katrina took the second and then ahd a break in the third and i had fairly much gave up on casey but out of know where casey played a few solid shots and suddenly got herself back in the match. Maybe a mircale was on the cards, sadly no. Katrina held up the pressure nicely and casey got what i though was a bad call at gp at 5-6 (looking at the match when i got home, the call was correct) and sadly casey lost the last 2 points and the match. it was a great unexpected fight from casey and if she can contiune to keep playing like that then she could break into into the top 100 if she works hard enough. Then I just walked around the courts to see who was playing, saw a little bit of Tommy Roberdo, Gisela Dulko, the Sam Querrey/Jose Acasuso match, not that much there. But then i noticed on one of the training ccourts that Serena was hitting up before up her night match. The thing that surprised me, she doesn't look as big as she does as she does on tv, she actually looked fairly fit and was hitting the ball quite hard like she normally does. I took a few photos then went off to vodafone to watch ljubicic/fish. Saw some of the 2nd and 3rd sets, Mardy was playing well espically in the tiebreaker where he won that fairly easily. Ivan did look the number 4 seed out there, he couldn't play his game out there. It was about 7pm after the 3rd set so i left for home as it takes a while to get back.

Day 2:
I got to Melbourne Park at the same time as the day before and soon as i went in there, i went around the courts to see whow as training, not many people i could regonize so i went off to vodafone to see ana's first match against vania king. Got to sit in the extremely hot sun :o it seemed a lot hotter inside the stadium, they were good seats though, i was about 5 rows back. Anyway, i saw the first set and a bit and ana was aboslutely dominating, hitting too many winners, she was playing really well. I left vodafone (even though it was a silly with the heat rule probably in effect soon). I was hoping to see some of the Australians in action, i got to see robert smeets win his match, he had a great reaction as well and the small but loud crowd were happy. Good to see a guy like him get an ATP match win. I noticed that the heat rule was in force so i rushed off to vodafone but on the way, on court 4 i noticed a huge crowd, yes the one and only Roger Federer was training up. I was able to get a few pictures of him, it was diffcult, a lot of people were trying as well but i was able to get a few good pictures, he was doing some volleys when i was there, of course he seemed to be hitting the ball well. I can now say i have been able to see Roger Federer in person. I got to vodafone and i was very lucky to get in, i had to wait about half a hour but i was able to get one of the last seats at the very top :) I didn't know the heat delay would go to 8.30 so i was there for the rest of the day. The match that was on at the time was chris Guccione vs. Oliver Rochus, of course i wanted to see Chris win. The match was dominated by chris's big serve (45 aces :eek: ) but sometimes rochus was able to see wheer the serve was going and hit some good return winners off it. Chris had look to of won the match at 5-4 40-0 in the fifth on rochus serve though, where oliver hit a good winner of the first point, ue from chris second mp, then the thrid mp chris had many oppurinties to come in to attack instead he just kept slicing and it it cost him, and rochus was able to hold serve and eventually took the match 9-7 in the fifth. i was very disappointed. Then Martina Hingis came on against Dechy and this match was just one way traffic. martina had all the control, camee up with all the right shots and dechy just couldn't do anything to stop it. before you know it that was over very quickly. Then James Blake and Carlos Moya played each other, and this was a match with a lot of firepower. Blake is one my favourite players to watch, the way he hits that forehand is isaane, saying that carlos has a very powerful froe hand as well. This was a tight first set and both were coming up with some great winners but james won a close tiebreaker where he had a number of set points. I had to leave for home after that first set but good to hear that james was able to win that match. Disappointed i didn't get to see most of the aussies today, i was looking forward to seeing sammy, sophie, pratty and luczak all playing but oh well it was still a great day. :)

Day 3:
As the previous two days i got there the same time. the weather was much nicer then yesterday. I went around the courts to see who was training. I was able to run into Ana Ivanovic training. I sat down and watched her training session, she did many drills, mainly just drilling forehand and backhands in particular areas.She seemed to be getting a little frustated with a few mistakes from her but by the end she seemed cheerful again. Then i got around and lined up for some autographs from Ana, i was nervous, quite strange to be so close to one of your favourite matches. Anyway, once she got upto about 2 people before me she stopped. :sad: Being as disappointed as well, i let out a cry of "Ana" without realziing it, she then came back and signed my autograph :bounce: I was so happy, i told her thanks and said she's very nice, i was very nervous, felt a bit embrassed actually, it was great to have a nice little story like that from now on. Then i went off to daniela play her delayed first round match. Cornet seemed to be matching daniela in the first set with a couple breaks of serev traded but daniela seemed a bit out of shape. However, daniela was about win the crucial points and win the first set 6-4. I left that to go get ready for the second round wayne arthurs match on MCA. I was able to run into james blake, chris guccione and mario ancic training, that was interesting to see. I saw the last game of the Jankovic match, not much to report there, Jelena won that match fairly easily. Anyway, the wayne arthurs match wasn't a classic like on monday but it still always great to see the guy win. he had a huge oppurnity to make the 3rd round and he did. Zach Fleishman, the guy whoe wayne was playing had the colours of red, white and blue of america in his hair but it made him look like he had the french flag on his hand. lots of calls of "Get a haircut" and "Good shot, frenchie" :lol: it was quite amusing. After the first set loss, again the crowd get trying to build wayne up and after winning the 2nd and 3rd sets comfortably but with a few nervours moments in the 4th, he was able to take the match. 2 unlikely wins from one of my retiring faves, it was being a great week for him (even though the story of friday is just sad). I then got to see Elena play and her horrible serve in action. she really wasn't playing great and seemed to struggle but i left when she had an injury timeout and 7-6, 0-3. I then went over towards the vodafone arena side to see what was happening there. I then saw Nicole vaidisova and Fernado Gonzalez hitting up on different courts. I went and watched sammy and lisa play doubles, comfortable match for then, you can see why they are the world's no.1 pair, they work so well as a team. After the match i was lucky enough to get sammy's autograph :) I wasn't as nervous this time, sammy is also a very nice person. I then did the only non-australian open thing i did by doing the speedo thing with your serve. Mine was 129 kmp/h, which i thought was fairly slow, going to have to work on the pace of that serve. I then went back on the other side because vodafone was full and decided to go to Show Court 3 where vincent spadea was playing domink hrabty. It was 1 set all when i got there, it was a tight match between both players, some long ralleys included. Spadea was getting quite frustated with the Slovakian supporters and made a couple of gestures to them and he ended up getting a point penalty for it, it was funny he carried on quite a bit even i think calling the referee. He never seemed really in it after that though even though there was 2 very loud american supporters sitting right behind me, hrabty had the match won. Strange atmosphere to that match, it was so errie, a man actually got ejected from the match as well. I then went and saw some of sophie and danieela dominkovic doubles match, the lost in straight sadly, but it was expected. I saw srebotnik in her sceond round and i saw her lose that second set tiebreaker, was surprised after having match point. I then headed for home for the night.

Day 4:
When i got to Melbourne Park, for the first hour again i saw people train. I saw Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova and Patty Schnyder all training. The first match I was going to see was Tomas Berdych vs. Robert Smeets but it started raining during the warm up so i ran off to vodafone to see if i could get in as Alicia was playing second. I waited in line for 2 hours (it was a rain delay so i wasn't missing anything outside) but after alicia had lost the first set i gave up and left for the outside courts. That's where i saw the second and 3rd sets of the Roberts Smeets and Tomas Berdych match, Berdych just had way too much firepower and the right shots at the right time. No much Rob could do here. After that was Ana's match, this was a real up an down affair. Ana played some solid tennis in the first set, she was controlling the match with a good amount of winners. The second set however turned into a bit of a diaster for Ana, Aga came back with some with good defense but really ana was spraying unforced errors all over the place, it wasn't looking good. Ana then finally slightly improved in the third and won the crucical points to win the match. closer than it needed to be for Ana but she made it to the third round so i was happy. Then i got too see Andy Roddick train for a bit, just working on some of his groundstroke, he seemed fairly relaxed, he would be used to the big crowds there i would assume. I went off to Show Court 2 to watch Grosjean and Rochus, some great ralleys came out of the match. Grosjean had his huge forehand that he hit some fantastic winners off while Rochus ran around and was able to get some great counterattacking winners. Grosjean didn't seem happy at times with the belgian fans, he made a few complaints to the umpire but not that muuch was made out of it. At 4-4 in the fifth set, rochus looked to have the advantage when he had 2 bp's but once he lost them grosjean controlled the match and won the final set 6-4. It was almost 8pm so after watch Gael Monfis train for a little bit i left for home.

Day 5:
The last day at the Australian Open for me and today it seemed like it was going to rain for quite a while, so i made sure i got into vodafone. I got great seats, about 3 rows back, i got to see ameile mauresmo train as i waited for the first match to start. it was Novak Djokovic verus Danai Udomchoke. Of course, the serbian fans were back as usual but you could hear a few thai fans in the crowd. Novak controlled most of the match with Danai scrambling around desperately trying to stay with Novak but he had too many shots. novak did serve for the match in the thrid but suddenly unforced errors came up and started to play poorly. He then somehow lost the third set because of that. Novak then easily won the 4th set, this time no poor play while serving for the match. He was easily the better player on the day. Then came out Ameile Mauresmo versus eva birnerova. This was compltely one sided contest, ameile wa splaying some solid tennis and had way too many shots for eva. Then came out Elena Dementieva verus Maria Elena Camerin. Elena also ahd complte control of this match, elena's groundstrokes controlled the match. Elena actually didn't serve that badly, was only a few doubles (it was a mircale) but elena was too good. it had finally stopped raining so i wen toutside to get ready for the wayne arthurs. just got in time for the match as i struggled to get a seat, it was packed. This turned out to very sad though, wayne's leg seemed to give way, he had to retire at 3-0 down in the first, felt like crying it was so sad, wayne didn't deserve to leave on a note like this. The crowd cheered him off the court, everybody chanting "We love Wayno", was a very surreal moment. After that i decided to go to the peer and golovin match expecting it to be a tight match and it was. Golovin was close to winning thats econd set but she contiunally got frustaed with the peer fans and she let it get to her. It was a slugfest between the two and was really enjoyable to watch. i left this match at 3-3 in the third set because it started raining, it stopped a minute later, so probably the wrong chocie but i went off to vodafone to see gael monfis and richard gaqsuet. Monfis was still sliding around like it was clay, kind of sickening to watch, both came up with some great shots in that tight match this was. I left after the third to head home but after richard won that third you thought that richard had control of the match. After this i left for home and sadly that was it for the australian open for this year. it was first year where i had gone for the first 5 days like this and was enjoyable as i thought it would be, i will make sure i will do it again next year.

Pictures are being added slowly, taking a lot longer than i thought being on dial-up. Here's the link to a few anyway:
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/aussie_fan_photo/

aussie_fan
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM
i have a few up there, they are slowly being added through the enxt few days, there a few of serena training, i have put up most of day 1, still got like 100 or so pics to upload

Ben.
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:13 AM
great report :yeah: when i went to vodafone arena on day 3 i sat at the very front on the eastern side of the arena. that's how I got a few autographs, very difficult to get autographs at Rod laver arena unless your sitting at the very front.

nice pics :yeah:

aussie_fan
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
great report :yeah: when i went to vodafone arena on day 3 i sat at the very front on the eastern side of the arena. that's how I got a few autographs, very difficult to get autographs at Rod laver arena unless your sitting at the very front.

nice pics :yeah:

I'm usually too lazy to get autographs, usually stick around just for the matches but had to get a couple of my faves (Sam and Ana) autographs, really did make my week.

More pics coming, i have many of Ana to post up, a few more Sam as well as Federer, Roddick and Mauresmo

Ben.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I'm usually too lazy to get autographs, usually stick around just for the matches but had to get a couple of my faves (Sam and Ana) autographs, really did make my week.

More pics coming, i have many of Ana to post up, a few more Sam as well as Federer, Roddick and Mauresmo

can't wait for the rest of the pics :) you're really only there at the open to watch the matches.

can't believe i got an autograph off the eventual women's singles champion.

aussie_fan
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
can't wait for the rest of the pics :) you're really only there at the open to watch the matches.

can't believe i got an autograph off the eventual women's singles champion.

lucky you, espically after at that time you wouldn't be expecting serena to take the title out at all.

Ben.
Jan 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM
lucky you, espically after at that time you wouldn't be expecting serena to take the title out at all.

yeah :) now i've got a piece of a champion :yeah:

Brett.
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Nice pic of Soph from backside! :yeah: :lol:

aussie_fan
Jan 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Nice pic of Soph from backside! :yeah: :lol:

:lol:

i was actually waiting for her to swap sides so i could get a few pics but it didn't happen, i was too lazy to walk around MCA. I will have a couple more of Soph from her doubles match up soon.

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 29th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Any Arvidsson Pictures :)

aussie_fan
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Any Arvidsson Pictures :)

sorry, i didn't get any.

Ben.
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:55 AM
:lol:

i was actually waiting for her to swap sides so i could get a few pics but it didn't happen, i was too lazy to walk around MCA. I will have a couple more of Soph from her doubles match up soon.

:lol: nice