PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic- What Could Have Been?

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I posted this on the main board, but people there are... :cuckoo: What a prodigious talent she was, and what a waste. :o

In 1999 as a 15-year-old she made the 3rd Round of the Australian Open, led Australian to the Hopman Cup title through beating World No.4 Sanchez-Vicario and No.15 Testud. Then at Wimbledon she beat Hingis and dropped only 2 games in the process. She made the QFs and also beat Pierce along the way. Then she beat No.19 Schett to help Australia advance to the World Group of the Fed Cup.

Then in 2000 she became the first Australian to reach a SF since 1980, and it hasnt even been done since. She made the Semi Finals of the 2000 Olympics and lost to Monica Seles in the Bronze medal match. She reached the Rome QFs by defeating Venus Williams 6-1, 6-2 and in Fed Cup beat Testud, Kourikova and Clijsters. Then in 2001, as an 18-year-old, she won a singles and doubles title and entered the Worlds top 10.

And of course she recorded many other great achievements. She was also awarded the best up-and-coming player by the media in 2001.

What do you think she could have achieved if she had a normal family and she concentrated purely on her tennis? A multiple Grand Slam winner perhaps?

Just Do It
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
What do you think she could have achieved if she had a normal family and she concentrated purely on her tennis?

Good question :)

vutt
Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
It's not that clear with Jelena and bad Damir. Well sure he is crazy, but it could easily be because of Damir pushed her so hard she achieved what she achieved. I could have been a lot less with "softer" tennis dad/typical coach.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
maybe she will reach the top again in the future... her career looks bleak but its not over yet

Wednesday
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:13 PM
IMO Jelena's career was destroyed because ...

In 2002 she young (still just 19) and she had entered in heaps of tournaments, nearly every week. Because Jelena was good back then, she got to the latter stages of these tournaments. Because Jelena was playing so much tennis at a young age, I believe she suffered from burnout around US Open 2002 (even though she did play one more good tourny after that I think). The burnout make Jelena lose matches because she was tired and these losses resulted in a loss of confidence which then destroyed her career. Ever since, Jelena has had no confidence in her game.

What do you think of my theory?

Just Do It
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:37 PM
What do you think of my theory?

I cant agree with ur theory, main problem was with her family, she was only 19 when she left home .... she stardet parting and hobbing with weird guys like Bernoldi and Bikic brothers are and that destroyed her career !

Just Do It
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM
The burnout make Jelena lose matches because she was tired and these losses resulted in a loss of confidence which then destroyed her career.

She could take 3 months off the tennis :shrug:

Wednesday
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
How could taking three months off tennis make your confidence return?

The burnout make Jelena lose matches because she was tired and these losses resulted in a loss of confidence which then destroyed her career.

She could take 3 months off the tennis :shrug:

SM
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
i think # 1 for 438 weeks, 23 grand slams single, 18 gran slams doubles, 69 singles wta titles, 22 wta doubles titles..

:(

GeeTee
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
i think # 1 for 438 weeks, 23 grand slams single, 18 gran slams doubles, 69 singles wta titles, 22 wta doubles titles..:(

Not sure about that many :) but I think she would have done a lot better.

Even if Jelena woulda had some kinda burnout post 2002 - if there's any Australian coach/player who knows what it's like to come back to the world's top 10 after some kind of a breakdown, it would've had to be Lesley Bowrey.

It woulda been fascinating to see how Aussie Jelena - assisted by the regular coaching of Bowrey (with occasional input from Tony Roche) - would have gone in the last ten years without any 'interference'. And imagine if Jelena had Alicia Molik as her regular doubles partner over the past five or so years.

Jelena had enough singles talent to have won at least one Wimbledon, if not more Grand Slams. I don't think her doubles ability could be rated with much accuracy as she rarely played more than a few tournaments with any one partner. Still, she had plenty of success.