PDA

View Full Version : Capriati "dead set" on a comeback

tennisfan5
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
From Wertheim's Column:

What are you hearing from the Jennifer Capriati camp? Is her shoulder healed? Is she planning to play again soon? -- Dale Stafford, Atlanta

I hear that she's not only considering a comeback, she's dead set on it. I paraphrase here, but a source close to her told me She has her good her days and bad days, but she is totally determined not to have played her last match. Given the relative power vacuum in women's tennis, I can very easily see the Capster, even at age 30, back in the mix. Also, perhaps these two years off have ultimately served her well. She hasn't beaten up her body and grown fatigued traveling (and playing in 120-degree heat!) This may have had a restorative effect on her body.

Mase
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah I was just going to post this.......

Former world number one and two-time Australian Open winner Jennifer Capriati of the US, seen here in 2004, still plans a comeback despite being 30 and missing the last two years with a shoulder injury.

I saw this on YAHOO TENNIS page, I thought it was kind of random and was wondering if anyone has seen a recent interview from here.. I just wouldn't think they would randomly put a picture out there of her with that comment you know??

Either way, thats great news!!!

John.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Please come back Jen. Even if only for a year

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
From Wertheim's Column:

What are you hearing from the Jennifer Capriati camp? Is her shoulder healed? Is she planning to play again soon? -- Dale Stafford, Atlanta

I hear that she's not only considering a comeback, she's dead set on it. I paraphrase here, but a source close to her told me She has her good her days and bad days, but she is totally determined not to have played her last match. Given the relative power vacuum in women's tennis, I can very easily see the Capster, even at age 30, back in the mix. Also, perhaps these two years off have ultimately served her well. She hasn't beaten up her body and grown fatigued traveling (and playing in 120-degree heat!) This may have had a restorative effect on her body.

That would be the shot in the arm that womens tennis needs at the moment :bounce: ESPECIALY US TENNIS :bounce:

tobe
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
too good to be true!!! Give it a last shot Jenny!!!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think I would cry if I saw her come back. I'd just be afraid she'd suck. -_-

disco_rage
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Oh would be great if Jen comes back and it sounds like she will!

alwayshingis
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come back!

Leo_DFP
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I think Capriati fans and non-fans alike would love to see her back for entertainment purposes! Come on, Jen. The US certainly needs you now.

yukon145
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Jenn has always been my favorite player and i really thought there was no chance of her ever coming back, but now im hopeful that someday (and maybe soon) she could be playing again.

i hope this isn't more false hope like last year during the aussie open.

schris
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I wish her all the best, please come back Jenny!!!!

jenny161185
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Im not going to get my hopes up but it would meane verything for me to see her play a year or 2 more! She has said shes still working out so fitness wouldnt be a problem and someone who is such a natural ball striker shouldnt take too long to get into the swing of things! come back soon Jen !!!

Lulu.
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
It would be great to have her back

disco_rage
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Ohhh imagine more CAPRIATI vs SERENA matches!

LefandePatty
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
:bolt:

PLEASE JENNY COME BACK !!!!!! :hearts: :rocker2: :bowdown: :inlove:

jazar
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
i completely misread that. i thought it said capriati dead. but yeah, it would be good to have her back, but i don't know if it will ever happen and how successful it would be

:inlove:
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
That would be great for tennis. :yeah: Hope she can get back to the top, but I don't really think she can any more.

I<3Myskina
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'd love to see her comeback! She was my first fav. tennis player!

TomTennis
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I hope she does! :worship:

Imagine....Serena back! :bounce: Venus back :drool: and Jen back! :wavey:

Would be awesome!!!

laurie
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
From Wertheim's Column:

Capriati has always been one of my favourite players. I would love to see her back.

Just one observation, Womens Tennis always seems to be suffering from a power vacuum. Or is it that players at the top of the game never get enough credit until they actually retire?

steffiforever
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
i really hope she comes back to even if she struggles at first which is very likely as she is a player that needs lots of competitive matches to find good form.....cant wait!!

iPatty
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm happy for her and her fans. I know you guys have been waiting forever to hear news like this. I just hope Wertheim's right and Jen comes through.

Hopefully she can return to the top fifty pretty soon.

tennismaster8820
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Great news!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I would love to have Jennifer back. :D

RJWCapriati
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
This is basically what I posted a few days ago.....from her interview in Las Vegas.

Capriati planning a comeback

Former world number one and two-time Australian Open winner Jennifer Capriati still plans a comeback despite being 30 and missing the last two years with a shoulder injury.

Capriati has been sidelined since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in 2005 to repair a torn labrum in her right shoulder.

But she was quoted on the WTA website as saying she is still training and is planning to play again.

"These days, if I'm not travelling to go see a doctor I'm just hanging out, trying to have some fun. I'm still in Florida, I still work out, I'm still trying to come back," she said.

The American won the 2001 and 2002 Australian Open titles as well as the 2001 French Open. But injuries have kept her out since she withdrew from the Australian Open in 2005.

Capriati made history by becoming the youngest player to reach a WTA final aged 13 before drug and personal problems saw her retreat from the game.

But she came back in style to win the Australian Open in 2001, defeating Martina Hingis, who herself made a successful comeback here last year after three years out of the game.

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/070116/1/460cu.html

And yes, I would absoloutely overjoyed if she came back :) :) :) :)

southpaw58
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
OH PLEASE COME BACK!! She has like 2-3 years more in her. Hope it's around the Summer time.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
This is basically what I posted a few days ago.....from her interview in Las Vegas.

Capriati planning a comeback

Former world number one and two-time Australian Open winner Jennifer Capriati still plans a comeback despite being 30 and missing the last two years with a shoulder injury.

Capriati has been sidelined since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in 2005 to repair a torn labrum in her right shoulder.

But she was quoted on the WTA website as saying she is still training and is planning to play again.

"These days, if I'm not travelling to go see a doctor I'm just hanging out, trying to have some fun. I'm still in Florida, I still work out, I'm still trying to come back," she said.

The American won the 2001 and 2002 Australian Open titles as well as the 2001 French Open. But injuries have kept her out since she withdrew from the Australian Open in 2005.

Capriati made history by becoming the youngest player to reach a WTA final aged 13 before drug and personal problems saw her retreat from the game.

But she came back in style to win the Australian Open in 2001, defeating Martina Hingis, who herself made a successful comeback here last year after three years out of the game.

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/070116/1/460cu.html

And yes, I would absoloutely overjoyed if she came back :) :) :) :)

I missed that article..thanks for reposting :D :bounce:

IceHock
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I'll be so excited if she was returns, she was my number 1 fave while she playe and if she returns she will be again.

LoveFifteen
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Please come back, Jennifer! I miss you. :hearts:

But never, ever beat Hingis, you low-class bitch! :mad:

crazillo
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
One thing is for sure: it would be her last attempt.

I think Seles will never come back though.

yukon145
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
more pics of Jenn here:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/?Event=capriati

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photogallery/capriati/f_31.jpg

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photogallery/capriati/f_32.jpg

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photogallery/capriati/f_35.jpg

she looks to be in great shape.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
BUMP....

The Prince rep at the AUS Open stated Jen has been on the phone with him wanting to try new racquets as she apparently starting to hit again and wants to test out a new racket.

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
:banana:

I wasn't her biggest fan but I'd love for her to comeback! She also looks great! :hearts:

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Well, if she comes back completely healthy, and not having to skip every other tournament because of the shoulder, I'm all for it.

I agree with Wertheim in the sense that the time she has spent away from the game (both times) affords her body an extended career. Generally its knee/leg problems that force retirement.

If anyone knows how to make a REAL comeback, its Jenn Cap.

eck
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I can get her autograph in Melbourne :yeah:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Comeback Jenny !!! :worship:

mike/topgun
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Jen's coming back :woohoo:
And I thought it was gonna be a boring year;)

Oneofakind0490
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
We need Jen back. The sport needs personality again. plus Jen vs serena rivalries.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
COME ON BACK JENNIFER!!!! We need our Americans back on the tour!!!

LindsayRulz
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
I hope she comes back, it would be so nice to have her back.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
BUMP....

The Prince rep at the AUS Open stated Jen has been on the phone with him wanting to try new racquets as she apparently starting to hit again and wants to test out a new racket.

Thanks for the info! :yeah:

cometz9
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
OMG :eek: Jennifer :hearts: please come back to us :bowdown: i would be so thrilled and happy.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: You can do it Jennifer!!! That would be awesome if she does.... :rocker:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
C'mon Jen!!! Get back alredy :bowdown:

coolconchi
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Thank god Jenn is coming back.

A repeat of the Wimbledon 2001 qf with Serena is much needed again!!!!

jfk
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Holy crap!!! That's the most positive sign I have seen of her coming back in YEARS! Tennis really needs a shot in the arm. Hingis started to provide it but she's not yet made a breakthrough....and Serena is not a consistent presence obviously. Jen brings an excitement to the tour that's really lacking now.

Wertheim better not be reporting from an unreliable source.

TeamUSA#1
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Holy crap!!! That's the most positive sign I have seen of her coming back in YEARS! Tennis really needs a shot in the arm. Hingis started to provide it but she's not yet made a breakthrough....and Serena is not a consistent presence obviously. Jen brings an excitement to the tour that's really lacking now.

Wertheim better not be reporting from an unreliable source.

I comepletely agree! And while Wrtheim can be spotty, there has been so much news in the last week that it is pretty certain that Ms. Capriati will be coming back: 1. Interview Jen gave at technology show last week where she said she is still training and planning her comeback. 2. Prince rep stated at the AO booth last week that Jen has been on the phone with him ordering new racquets as she wants to test new sticks since she is hitting again!!! and 3. Wertheim's story... too many coincidences to not be a full sign of Jen coming back.. I think she'll be back for the summer hard courts!!!