PDA

View Full Version : How badly will Maria Sharapova's 1st round match hurt her later in the tournament?

LH2HBH
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
How badly will Maria Sharapova's 1st round match hurt her later in the tournament?

Vote & Discuss!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I don't think it will affect her. She'll have a day of rest, face another nobody (most likely at night, or at least in a covered area), and go on her merry way. Yuri also has a way of asserting Sharapova's mental state, so I pity Rodionova for the beating she'll have.

It would only catch up to her, I think, if she has a few more matches like this first one. Otherwise she'll be fine. I always thought, should they both live to seeding, Clijsters would take Sharapova out in the semifinal anyway.

Jorn
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Nastya will beat her in R2 ;)

DavidW
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
She'll be fine and ready in time for the next match and the rest of the Open.

plantman
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
She's young and should recover rather quickly! Those rest between the second and third set and that ill timed trainer/doctor delay period is what changed the outcome of this match. It's a rule I think needs changing, but I'm not sure how. Sharapova escaped a 1st round loss by a "pinch"!:lol:

améliemomo
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
it will affect her soon or later.3 Hours is hard to disappear like that.

No.1Hingis
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
The heat was killing her yesterday.. is not exactly how much is gonna affect the next rounds.. she could be on bad shape to face the heat .. dont know I need another match...

Wayn77
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Rather the opposite I would have thought.

First real tournament of the year, excellent three-set work-out (in terrible conditions admittedly). Ms Sharapova has had a good 'shake-down' and is now ready to go for the rest of the tournament. Everybody else watch out!

The Dawntreader
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I dunno, only time will tell, but its hardly a very auspicious was it? Apart from the heat woes etc, which was understandable, her technique looked almost unexistent at times. Those horrible reverse forehands that she hits where the racquet head almost hits her in the head. Its more technique to me than any fitness test really.

Piotr'ek
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
She just want to win the challenge with LeBron :)

John.
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
The heat may have affected her somewhat physically. I think we will know more when she takes to the court in R2.

Kart
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
She'll probably win it now.

Sefo
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Aside of getting a bit more tanned:hearts: :hearts: she'll have a pain in the a$$.

Orion
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I think mostly it's going to be mental...players much better (in terms of ability) than Pin are going to see that there are ways to get under Sharapova's skin. If she doesn't get the power she likes, she can't keep the ball in. She has trouble creating momentum out of nothing. That will make players like Hingis take notice.

Also, I wasn't too shocked that Pin gave her trouble. I was surprised how much trouble, but remember Sugiyama at Wimbledon? Granted, it was two years ago, but Sugiyama managed to frustrate Sharapova's groundstrokes by making her create her own momentum from down low (soft slices) and putting things away by moving forward on weak shots.

There have always been ways of making huge hitters self destruct; it takes a smart player to impose that style on someone who can dominate a point like Sharapova (or Davenport, or either Williams sister, or Pierce, etc.)

jazar
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM
she'll possibly be a bit jaded for her next match, but as long as it is straight sets then i think she'll be fine for the rest of the tournament. i mean, today's match was a worst case scenario, so she won't take the rest of matches for granted

Shimizu Amon
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
It's gonna have a slight effect on her but I don't believe it will interfere her chances to win the AO. Perhaps because of this match her chances are even better, because she's already on high alert.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
She'll do much better in the next rounds :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
You forgot the option " It can only help her ". A real champion would never let that sort of match bother them for a long period of time. :bounce:

disco_rage
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
She'll be okay im sure... BUT she does need the weather to stay like this!

s_j
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not being biased here but I seriously think this will do Maria a world of good. This is exactly what happened with Serena in 2005. She began playing very average, even poorly in some people's eyes, and then she goes on to win the tournament! I always think it's good when a seed gets a good test in the first week and, yes, it's slightly earlier than I would have expected but I just have a feeling Maria will just be stronger. Her match against Pin was very tough - heat played a huge factor but also the fact that Maria hates and struggles playing against players like Pin, and still fighting hard when the match was slipping away, makes me think that she'll use this to her advantage.

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Depends on how ill she actually got. She should be able to bounce back, and maybe just be a little more tired than usual for her next match, and she won't be able to prepare as well for it. Which in these early rounds shouldn't cause problems (than again, Camille Pin wasn't supposed to cause problems).

I would think the other concern at this point is how badly she got sunburned, because it will impact how well her body deals with heat - or cold for that matter.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Knowing the weather forecast for the next fews days in Melbourne it could have a huge effect. The weather tomorrow is going to be 36. You don't get over heat stress in a day. I'm not a big fan of Maria's but I hope she can play tomorrow I saw the match yesterday and if she had played a better player she would've been beaten but matches like that if you get through them can help for the rest of the tournament so who knows.

alias
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
eh...I still think she's going to win the whole thing.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Nope, yesterday is gone, tomorrow is a new day.

morningglory
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM
As long as Papa's there, she'll be fine mentalwise... physicalwise however... I dunno how fast her body can recover from that wiltering match in a virtual oven...

Mina Vagante
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
option 2

Dawn Marie
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Honestly, I feel this match can only hurt her. Let's face it. As a tennis player seeing a player like Pin pushing Maria to the limit only gives these younger girls the confidence going into a match with her. It exposes Maria's game and mental ability. It will give players the belief that they too can push/beat Sharky to the limit.

I believe that this match made Maria loook human and very VERY beatable. She lost some of her Aura.

So with her badly burned skin, because that girl got a sun burn and her 3 hours of play it is only a disadvantage to her imho. Sure she can win it all and she can lose it all. After the match and trying to look from a tennis player/opponent perspective and from Maria's well it was not good for her.
Nobody wants to have a long match like that. Nobody.

Corswandt
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Much as I'd like to believe that this match has only made Maria stronger, I think the damage is huge and irreversible.

Even if Maria more or less recovers physically from this ordeal (which I doubt; she seemed on the verge of collapsing right there on court), her game is in shambles, her confidence is shattered because she damn well knows she brought all this down on herself, and her reputation for always getting through easily during the early rounds of major tournaments has vanished. And no way is she going to win the AO.

And above all, she knows it's very unlikely now that she'll get even the #1, that was there for the taking, by the end of the AO.

Reuchlin
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Also, when Capriati won the title for the first time, she won a 7-5 third set to Nagyova. (1R)

A_Skywalker
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
She will loose in R4 is my prediction