PDA

View Full Version : Where iSHOULD Serena be ranked, depending on how shes playing currently?

KishG
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM
We all know that, considering her talent and how shes playing now, she shouldn't be ranked 81[?] in the world. But hey, thats the ranking system for you. So I create this thread to see where you guys think she should be ranked i.e. which level she is playing at now and which ranking would be a reflection of that level?

From her match against Santangelo, I'd say she's definitely around the top twenty[ish]. I'd say, to be exact, 23 in the world. But it's more than likely that her level of play will improve as each match goes on.

EDIT: That should be "SHOULD" in the title not "iSHOULD". Proof read man proof read!!!

LH2HBH
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM

The ranking she earned.

I also believe that Justine Henin-Hardenne should be ranked #1.

The ranking she earned.

I also believe Tamarine Tanasugarn #71.

The ranking she earned.

KishG
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM

The ranking she earned.

The ranking she earned.

The ranking she earned.

So you think Serena's playing like the number eighty one player in the world?

LH2HBH
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
So you think Serena's playing like the number eighty one player in the world?

I didn't say that. I say that she has the ranking she earned.

KishG
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I didn't say that. I say that she has the ranking she earned.

But that didn't answer my question. Maybe I should have been a little bit clearer but basically my question is "Judging from the level of Serena's play against Santangelo, what rank is she playing like?"

I know Serena is the number 81 in the world and thats the ranking she earned, but If you didn't know who Serena was, and she played like she did against santangelo, would you have thought that she was the number eight one in the world? What rank would you have suggested?

LH2HBH
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
OK then, I would say around 30. She's still not moving well, in my opinion and she is hitting a lot off her back foot.

LH2HBH
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Sorry about my reaction. I can't stand it when people say what ranking does so and so deserve??

TonyP
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM
The problem is, didn't she have a couple of good wins at Hobart, then got knocked out by Sybille Bammer? So what do you make of that in terms of where she should be ranked?

Yesterday, Maria sure didn't look like the number two player in the world, but she won and there seems no point in downgrading her ranking based on speculation. Form varies from match to match. The only things that really count or how you finish in the end. If Maria wins the whole thing, she won't get fewer points because she was almost eliminated in the first round.

crazillo
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Rankings try to show how the player showed up in the last year, but it cannot show the current form or shape so well.
So she is not playing like her ranking, but in the past, she has been playing (or in her case not been playing) like that ranking of 82. ;)

plantman
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I agree! Her ranking is where it should be. How one decides on a players level of play after watching only a handful of matches is presumptuous! Players have on days as well as off days. One could say that Serena has had some on days and is playing the matches of her life lately. Who's really to say? We'll just have to wait and see how she matches up as the season goes on!

No.1Hingis
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
In my opinion .. she had the rank she earned and the way she's playing corresponds cause she is not playing with regularity and taking adv of what she knows she can do, so she is playing as often as good to be accord to the rank system ..

The example is Martina, she was 9999 last year and she make QF and even she was playing good.. she was 300, she was looking regularity and the rank show us she was being playing better and better ... and that was fair if you respect the effort of other player that used to be fighting always.. she earned the 7 for this year and she work a lot for it.. suffered critics, early exits and everything but she is there...

Serena needs to recover that William's spirit she get useless today.. cause the rank respond to the way you are playing ... as soon as she climb the rank she will play better and better, cause she need to face her weakness.. She knows she can come back, the quality is there as is on Martina, so she just need to work... Serena needs to want it ... hopefully is just gonna take a couple of month to have her back...

rjd1111
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM

The ranking she earned.

The ranking she earned.

The ranking she earned.

Then Serena must be really good. She upset 2 players last week
and just upset the # 32 player this week. And I guess all those
people who said Bammer upset her were delusional.