PDA

View Full Version : Anabel, Alizé & Edina are the first players to be fined at this year's Open

spiceboy
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21072065-3162,00.html

Players cross the fine line

AUSTRALIAN Open officials have wasted no time in cracking down on unacceptable player behaviour.

With the tournament's first round still incomplete, 11 players have been fined after a volatile start to the event.

And it appears officials have grown tired of umpires being subjected to outside influences by issuing $2500 penalties to Chile's Paul Capdeville and Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues for receiving illegal coaching.

Argentine Juan Monaco and Italian Daniele Bracciali were both given $2500 notices under the same rule, reduced to $1275 on appeal.

Frenchman Marc Gicquel was docked $2500 for unsportsmanlike behaviour in his marathon five-set win over Australian Alun Jones, while former finalist Rainer Schuettler was hit with a $1275 fine for the same offence.

Russia's 2005 champion Marat Safin lost $630 for racquet abuse with Romanian Edina Gallovits docked the same for ball abuse.

Jean-Rene Lisnard (audible obscenity), Mathieu Montcourt (unsportsmanlike) and Alize Cornet (ball abuse) were handed $320 fines.

ASP0315
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21072065-3162,00.html

Players cross the fine line

AUSTRALIAN Open officials have wasted no time in cracking down on unacceptable player behaviour.

With the tournament's first round still incomplete, 11 players have been fined after a volatile start to the event.

And it appears officials have grown tired of umpires being subjected to outside influences by issuing $2500 penalties to Chile's Paul Capdeville and Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues for receiving illegal coaching.

Argentine Juan Monaco and Italian Daniele Bracciali were both given $2500 notices under the same rule, reduced to $1275 on appeal.

Frenchman Marc Gicquel was docked $2500 for unsportsmanlike behaviour in his marathon five-set win over Australian Alun Jones, while former finalist Rainer Schuettler was hit with a $1275 fine for the same offence.

Russia's 2005 champion Marat Safin lost $630 for racquet abuse with Romanian Edina Gallovits docked the same for ball abuse.

Jean-Rene Lisnard (audible obscenity), Mathieu Montcourt (unsportsmanlike) and Alize Cornet (ball abuse) were handed $320 fines.

Why isn't Roddick fined?? Is he getting Celebrity treatment?? In his match against Tsonga, He directed verbal abuse towards the umpire a lot of times. Plus he also directed abuse towards Tsonga during the change over in the first set Tie break.

©@®eLess
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM
OMG- then Sharapova is gonna get broke for illegal coaching, and if Jankovic gets in her way with umpires......hahahahaha....

Whats ball abuse?Poor balls :o

cartmancop
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I agree that Roddick was out of line in some cases in his match and deserves a fine...

Also Sharapova dropping the f-bomb... :lol: I assume she will be fined also, though it entertained me :D

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Roddick was out of line ...

Also Sharapova dropping the f-bomb... :lol: I assume she will be fined also, though it entertained me :D

I"m not assuming anything, except that it would be fun to start a pool for how long it'll be before they abandon the "crackdown" in the face of a top name.

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I hope American Express sets up a kid's charity and give $100 for every curse used by players at AO :p

That's be one wealthy charity! :bounce:

HTE
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I hope American Express sets up a kid's charity and give $100 for every curse used by players at AO :p

That's be one wealthy charity! :bounce:

all fines should be given 100% to charity.

hablo
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Why isn't Roddick fined?? Is he getting Celebrity treatment?? In his match against Tsonga, He directed verbal abuse towards the umpire a lot of times. Plus he also directed abuse towards Tsonga during the change over in the first set Tie break.
I thought the exact same thing.

MisterMan
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
They'll never fine Roddick. He's a marquee player. He literally yelled out "fucking prick" to Tsonga at the net (it was live, heard by everyone, including the horrified commentators).

He then verbally abused the ref saying "i'll stop talking when you say something intelligent".

He's tennis elite, and he's immune to all fines.

winone23
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM
They'll never fine Roddick. He's a marquee player. He literally yelled out "fucking prick" to Tsonga at the net (it was live, heard by everyone, including the horrified commentators).

He then verbally abused the ref saying "i'll stop talking when you say something intelligent".

He's tennis elite, and he's immune to all fines.

I love me some Roddick, but if he did that he was dead wrong!!!

iPatty
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Sharapova should be on that list. And Roddick too, as some people have mentioned.

drake3781
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Can a fine be imposed retroactively when there was no infraction at the time by the umpire?

Or does it require that at the time of the incident an infraction was called by the umpire?

-Sonic-
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hands up all who'd give Roddick some ball abuse? yum.

(yes, he is a tit though)

vogus
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Edina Gallovits is one of the biggest clowns/jackasses i've ever seen (on the womens side). She has no qualms whatsoever about making a complete fool of herself on the court.

Highlandman
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Edina :lol: :kiss:

~Eclipsed~
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Edina Gallovits is one of the biggest clowns/jackasses i've ever seen (on the womens side). She has no qualms whatsoever about making a complete fool of herself on the court.

i've never seen her play. Glad she lost to Tu

I do agree with everyone saying that Roddick should have been fined. He yelled at the umpire so much although unlikely the other players who were fined he didn't do anything physically wrong. The other players got fined for either illegal coaching or some type of racquet/ball abuse. Maybe players only get fined on accord of the umpires.

alfonsojose
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hands up all who'd give Roddick some ball abuse? yum.

(yes, he is a tit though)

stick abuse :drool:

BoucharDRules
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
What the heck is ball abuse?

Is that smashing it into the stands? Or being fussy about them like Conchita Martinez? :confused:

MisterMan
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM
What the heck is ball abuse?

Is that smashing it into the stands? Or being fussy about them like Conchita Martinez? :confused:

Believe me, Conchita wants NOTHING to do with balls.