PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova put on an IV - heat poisoning

bellascarlett
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Sharapova on the physical problems she suffered during her match: "Actually in the middle of the second set, the reason I called the trainer was because in the middle of the second set I started getting some pinches in my abdominal muscle. It didn't happen while I was hitting a stroke and it didn't feel like a cramp, so I kind of played with it. As the third set went on it was becoming more frequent so I was taking more deep breaths. I've definitely played in these sort of conditions, but I don't think for such a long period of time."

Sharapova was put on an IV and treated for heat poisoning after her 6-3, 4-6, 9-7 win aginst Camille Pin, according to reports at the Australian Open.

http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx

Damn heat policy! As Maria said, "Are you fucking kidding me?!" :o

Something should be done fast.

A_Skywalker
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
:eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM
i see all the Maria haters are all hiding :rolleyes:

Masha :( :sad:

MyskinaManiac
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM
She should deal with it... I have to live through it for two months of the year. Is it heat illness, not poisoning... I've never heard of it called that before. She should have rehydrated, either that or she's not fit. I've had heat illness heaps of times, it's not a big deal, you get through it in a day or two.

What more can be done, the rules are the rules. They cancelled all day time matches outside the centre courts to the night time. Just thank youself lucky that it's not wimby and you don't have tot wait through rain-interupted play.

Yasmine
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
:eek: I hope it helped and that she's fit for the next match:hug:

The Kaz
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
pfft there no such thing as "heat poisoning" :ras: heat stroke maybe :rolleyes:

MyskinaManiac
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
That's what I thought

winone23
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I've heard of "heat exhaustion" and the more serious and life threatening "heat stroke" but I never heard of heat poisoning. Anyhoo hope she feels better.

Kevin.
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM
she needs to tough it out
ive had this before
2 heat strokes in 10 days
1 of dehydration....
she is clearly fit, but who knows..

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I hope she will be OK for her next match. she looked pretty good in the press conference

-VSR-
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
That's odd, because in the post match conference she said that she did NOT use a IV. She just drank lots of fluids...

gentenaire
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM
What more can be done, the rules are the rules. .

Easy. Change the rules. Close the roof when it's getting too hot, no matter if a match is in progress or not.

And there's a difference between living in such hot conditions and playing a long three setter with no shade.

UDACHi
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
she took an injury timeout for THIS!? :fiery:

that cheater will use any tactics, i tell you. ANYTHING!!!!!

;)

Erika_Angel
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I just love how some of the haters are responding to this by criticizing the fact her illness is described as 'heat poisoning' in the article, like Maria must have somehow written it or something :rolleyes:

Easy. Change the rules. Close the roof when it's getting too hot, no matter if a match is in progress or not.

And there's a difference between living in such hot conditions and playing a long three setter with no shade.

Doesn't it take like 20 min or something to close it though?

The Kaz
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM
My friend got heat stoke today...and its not cool...he was vomiting constantly and had a high fever :sad:

eck
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
What in the world is heat poisoning?
She made jokes in the post match conference, so I don;t think it was anything serious

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I just love how some of the haters are responding to this by criticizing the fact her illness is described as 'heat poisoning' in the article, like Maria must have somehow written it or something :rolleyes:

Doesn't it take like 20 min or something to close it though?

I think the problem is that after the roof is closed it takes a long time to cool down the place with air conditioning.

They could consider the weather forecasts before the start of the match, however.

Congrats to Maria for playing through abdominal pain and hope she has a good rest and is back on track for her next match. Camille was playing really tough and taking advantage of all Maria's errors. She could have won this if not for Maria's fighting spirit at the end.

Meesh
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I hope she is able to bounce back! Hopefully she will have a night match!

silverarrows
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Without a shadow of doubt, Masha cheated. :cool: Any tennis fan who follow the sport for a LONG time knows that Maria did cheat. ;) Unless you're a Mashatard, you will not agree with me, and I know that. ;) Tennis is actually battle of the fittest. If the player is not fit enough, that's the player's problem. Masha should improve her fitness level. I hope she's fine now. Anyways, nice win, Maria! :)

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
That's odd, because in the post match conference she said that she did NOT use a IV. She just drank lots of fluids...

Assuming the report is correct, they could have checked on her after the conference, and put her on an IV then if she wasn't recovering quickly enough. Particularly if her electrolytes were out of whack (get dehydrated and overheated enough, and water alone won't help because you're body can't process it properly).

Criticize her fitness if you want, but you have to give her credit for fighting it out and finding a way to win despite the state she was in.

saki
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm glad it's not too serious. I don't think there is any real problem with her fitness (room for improvement but she is improving it - she's a LOT more muscular than she was back in '04) but I do think she should reconsider her current habit of not playing a warmup in Australia. The temperatures do take some getting used to and it's not a risk worth running.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I hope it's nothing serious and Maria will be fine

the cat
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Assuming the report is correct, they could have checked on her after the conference, and put her on an IV then if she wasn't recovering quickly enough. Particularly if her electrolytes were out of whack (get dehydrated and overheated enough, and water alone won't help because you're body can't process it properly).

Criticize her fitness if you want, but you have to give her credit for fighting it out and finding a way to win despite the state she was in.

Griffina, you are the voice of reason for every season. Well said. By the way I just Russianized you. ;)

jazar
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
pin is probably suffering the effects of the heat as well, its just she isnt going to attract the same amount of attention as sharapova.

it was harsh making them play in that heat, hopefully she will be fine for her next match.

Liliana
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I seem to remember that Pin was on the same court and under the same conditions....

serenafan08
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
That's really sad to hear. You know, some people just react to the heat differently than others. I can relate to how Maria feels...I play tennis, and anytime it gets above 90 degrees on the court I start to tire out pretty quickly. I've tried everything - I wear all white clothing, a hat, drink water and a sports drink the night before, stay hydrated during the match - and every time I always get worn out by the second or third set (if I last that long! :lol: ). I always struggle when it's hot. I can't catch my breath, I sweat off ten pounds - at least I feel like I do - and my energy goes down the drain in a hurry. The heat on a tennis court is nothing to play around with. I hope she's able to recover alright.

MyskinaManiac
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Well I don't know about you, but the whole essence of the AO would be taken away if you decided to close the roof at the slight hint of it become 'too hot' (of which is subjective to the individual of what 'too hot' is).

Er, I think having continual days of 40 plus temps beats a couple of hours on the court of it. I've played many sports including tennis in extreme heat and I find challenging but enjoyable at the same time... she just needs to take in more fluids than she's expelling.

LeRoy.
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
poisoning ?

Привет
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I seem to remember that Pin was on the same court and under the same conditions....

That's really sad to hear. You know, some people just react to the heat differently than others. I can relate to how Maria feels...I play tennis, and anytime it gets above 90 degrees on the court I start to tire out pretty quickly. I've tried everything - I wear all white clothing, a hat, drink water and a sports drink the night before, stay hydrated during the match - and every time I always get worn out by the second or third set (if I last that long! :lol: ). I always struggle when it's hot. I can't catch my breath, I sweat off ten pounds - at least I feel like I do - and my energy goes down the drain in a hurry. The heat on a tennis court is nothing to play around with. I hope she's able to recover alright.

:lol:
Liliana asked a question, and the person who posted next answered it.

Liliana didn't actually ask the question, but she was hinting that Pin was in the same conditions and didn't feel the effects as much as Maria. Than Serenafan08 said straight after that different people react differently to the temperature. :lol:

-VSR-
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:32 AM

I'm like the opposite. I play better in the heat and can go on for hours. I don't know what it is but I never really get tired, well you know what I mean, I can keep playing effectively for a while. On the tennis court you never really think about being tired, most of my exhaustion comes when I get home. :lol:

serenafan08
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I'm like the opposite. I play better in the heat and can go on for hours. I don't know what it is but I never really get tired, well you know what I mean, I can keep playing effectively for a while. On the tennis court you never really think about being tired, most of my exhaustion comes when I get home. :lol:

I wish I was that way! It's really sad because my high school season was always in the spring, so come April and May, I would wilt when it got hot on the court. I can't help thinking about getting tired because I can hardly catch a breath! I live in Kansas, and it gets VERY humid in the spring and summer. Sometimes I feel like I'm breathing water because the atmosphere is so juicy. It's very uncomfortable. Maybe if I lived somewhere else I could play okay in the heat, but not in the humidity here.

-VSR-
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I wish I was that way! It's really sad because my high school season was always in the spring, so come April and May, I would wilt when it got hot on the court. I can't help thinking about getting tired because I can hardly catch a breath! I live in Kansas, and it gets VERY humid in the spring and summer. Sometimes I feel like I'm breathing water because the atmosphere is so juicy. It's very uncomfortable. Maybe if I lived somewhere else I could play okay in the heat, but not in the humidity here.

Yeah I see what you're talking about. I like up in the New England area, so it's not that bad come spring time. The tennis season isn't bad really, but during the summer is when it gets up there. :lol:

stevos
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I live in Canada, and in one of my matches I felt as if I had heat stroke! So imagine an Australian summer day, playing almost 3 hours. It's very easy for someone to just retire, I hope (and I'm pretty sure) Maria will be good for her next round.

harloo
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:21 AM
pin is probably suffering the effects of the heat as well, its just she isnt going to attract the same amount of attention as sharapova.

Or maybe Pin was prepared and hydrated enough to deal with the conditions because she looked perfectly fine after it was all over. :yeah:

Marcus Jordan
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Has Shara withdrawn from Aust Open cos of heat exhaustion??

austennis
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Only thing i heard was Tracey Austin saying in the paper that she almost needed an IV drip.. lets face it though Sharapova might have had a huge struggle.. but the Australian open is played in January and this is where it belongs.. if players want shorter seasons they can finish earlier in the end of the year after the US OPEN and instead of preparing for the Aussie conditions in dubai or florida why not down to Aus a few weeks early and practice in the Aussie summer

Marcus Jordan
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Being an Agassi fan I've always loved that aspect of the Aust Open that it required players to commit a lot to physical training over Christmas, its a great challenge and I always hope for the temperatures to be really hot to see who is the fittest. Its really an amazing heat that Aust has its like when you open an oven and put your face inside.

ZListCelebrity
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM
If you can't cope with it, get used to the conditions more next time by arriving to the tournament early etc...

There are much more important things in this world to feel sorry about.

Marcus Jordan
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I never feel sorry :)

silverarrows
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Being an Agassi fan I've always loved that aspect of the Aust Open that it required players to commit a lot to physical training over Christmas, its a great challenge and I always hope for the temperatures to be really hot to see who is the fittest. Its really an amazing heat that Aust has its like when you open an oven and put your face inside.

I agree. A professional tennis player should always be in top condition. It is a TEST of their fitness. Both Masha and Camille is on the SAME conditions but Camille looks like she can stay in the court for 3 hours more after that match. ;)

Shimizu Amon
Jan 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM

:lol: I can feel you! I almost had a visual with this nice little story. Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

And this is for MyskinaMania, I've read a couple of your posts now and today has been the last time I've read any, because your posts are just filled with utter crap.

And a lot of people are talking about Maria's condition and comparing her to Pin. That's just unfair, it's already been explained many times that Maria had it harder because of the fact she is way taller then Pin. So she had it especially hard in these extreme conditions. And I think that as soon as a certain situation becomes a danger to ones health one should immediately take all necessary action. They didn't, I think it was very irresponsible of the AO.