PDA

View Full Version : Players changing their serving motion.

Veritas
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Who's changed their service motion so far?

The ones I can think of are:

Martina Hingis - bends her legs instead of moving them.

Ai Sugiyama - same as above.

Justine Henin (Hardenne) - same as above.

Amelie Maurasemo - same as above.

Elena Dementieva - same as above.

Anyone else?

Btw, why do players do that? I assume it'd improve the serve if they go to all the trouble modifying it. But in Martina's case, I think her old serve had better pace, and from what I saw in Zurich, the only thing different with Ai's is just the visuals.

pcrtennis
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Who's changed their service motion so far?

The ones I can think of are:

Martina Hingis - bends her legs instead of moving them.

Ai Sugiyama - same as above.

Justine Henin (Hardenne) - same as above.

Amelie Maurasemo - same as above.

Elena Dementieva - same as above.

Anyone else?

Btw, why do players do that? I assume it'd improve the serve if they go to all the trouble modifying it. But in Martina's case, I think her old serve had better pace, and from what I saw in Zurich, the only thing different with Ai's is just the visuals.

Wow, I'm impressed that you noticed that Ai changed it. She just started it in the indoor European season last fall. It produces more Aces and free points but also more DFs...

I think it gives Ai's serve more stability... less moving parts to go off on her...

Mightymirza
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Justines changed her serve motion veryy frequently!!Her motion now is completely different from the one she started with!!More knee bend,Separated legs,From bigbackswing to abbreviated one and now she has kinda no backswing at all..Thehand goes straight up in air!!Truely, if you are willing to learn more,possibilities are endless and this ability of hers makes her such a good champion!!

Mirza has changed her serve motion as well..Its bit more consistent now...

Craigy
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Golovin & Vaidisova

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Sveta was reworking her serve last fall.

Veritas
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:55 PM
About Dementieva, does anyone notice how her serve in 2000 wasn't a problem? There were parts that needed to be improved, but it wasn't a weakness. For example, watch her match against Monica Seles at the 2000 Chase Championships semis. She made only 1 DF and served 2 aces :eek:

What a difference in such a short space of time...

-GenEz.Williams
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
vaidisova
sharapova
golovin
mauresmo
venus
lindsay
almost everyone are changing their service motion..

cartmancop
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Vaidisova's looked like it will be more solid, from what little bit i saw...

Europe rocks
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM
About Dementieva, does anyone notice how her serve in 2000 wasn't a problem? There were parts that needed to be improved, but it wasn't a weakness. For example, watch her match against Monica Seles at the 2000 Chase Championships semis. She made only 1 DF and served 2 aces :eek:

What a difference in such a short space of time...

I think Lena D had to change her serve to more of a slice action because of a shoulder injury a few years ago

Mina Vagante
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:24 PM
vaidisova's looks different

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Mirza from what I have heard

AyumiMorita
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I haven't seen Ai play to have noticed the change :-(
anyone wanna post videos of Ai

santhuruu
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Serena changed a little bit her service motion, she bends to her knees a lot more, especially on the second serve. But it is good. And most of the times if players want to hit a serve in the wide corner of the service area, then most of the times at the deuce side you see them tossing the ball to the right, but Serena doesn't do that and still she is able to hit those corners, that is what the Belgian commentator said.
And ofcourse Henin too, with not using the full swing on the serve.

disco_rage
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I think Lena D had to change her serve to more of a slice action because of a shoulder injury a few years ago

Yeah a shoulder problem bothered Elena for ages which is the reason for the serve of today.. tho now its mental not pshyical! (spelling sorry!)