KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM
go Hingis bringing it here early :worship: :bounce:

treufreund
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
wow 59 to 29 pts. very clean!

selyoink
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Thought Dechy would put up a little more resistance than that.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:55 AM
i was hoping for a double double bagel from my 2 girls

Hawn
Excellent start for Martina. Very composed and clean game.:D

OZTENNIS
Congrats Marti, very impressive! Good luck in R2

soccerjock
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Great start Hingis!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
:D Martina :cool: :kiss:

stevos
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Owned! Amazing match Hingis :worship:

Iceland
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Nathaloche was playing so well. I don't understand that score :lol:

tennisbum79
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Well done Hingis.
What a clinic.

Now for posters complaining earlier that Maria was being bashed,
please understand posters expressed what they have seen on the court.
And I am sure Kim and Hingis performance will draw praise because
they deserve teh accolades.

All I am trying to say is that expression of sentiment on a match does
not necessarily measrue how the poster feel about the player.
It is usually just about the match they just saw.

MyskinaManiac
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Bah! Martina... wind back the clock! Win this effing slam!

tennisbum79
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Bah! Martina... wind back the clock! !
Easy, don't get carried away.

She is palying very well, but the real measure of her form will come
when she meets someone of consequence.

Drake1980
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM
:banana:

PLP
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO HINGIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

That was by far the most aggressive I seen Martina since Rome, using the whole court so well!

Everything was working today and Hingis looks FITTER than ever, poor Dechy looked a little lost!

Nat :hug: Good luck in your other AO events!

Martian Mel
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Great win Marti! Good luck in round 2 :kiss:

tennisbum79
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:12 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO HINGIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

That was by far the most aggressive I seen Martina since Rome, using the whole court so well!

Everything was working today and Hingis looks FITTER than ever, poor Dechy looked a little lost!

Nat :hug: Good luck in your other AO events!

She also had some zip on her ground strokes and took the ball very
early, with direction to boot

hingisGOAT
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM
hingis played great. she looks toned, tan, and ready to go.

this will be a great tournament for her i think ;) the doubles play will only help her :bounce:

PLP
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM
She also had some zip on her ground strokes and took the ball very
early, with direction to boot

Martina seems to be hitting with more pace, definitely..,but of course mixing it up well.

The DTL-backand off of Nat's serve was BRILLIANT! I don't quite know how she changed the direction like that! :)

ioni
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
expected win for Martina ! :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
What a lovely performance :rocker2: VIVA MARTINA :banana:

*crosses fingers for Hingis-Mirza in 3R* :drool:

Shimizu Amon
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Good score Hingis. Hope you can keep it up.

Princeza
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
go marti!

hingisGOAT
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Dechy (FRA) Hingis (SUI)

1st Serve % 31 of 47 = 66 % 25 of 41 = 61 %

Aces 0 2

Double Faults 2 3

Unforced Errors 20 10

Winning % on 1st Serve 16 of 31 = 52 % 23 of 25 = 92 % :eek:

Winning % on 2nd Serve 3 of 16 = 19 % 8 of 16 = 50 %

Winners (Including Service) 11 16

Receiving Points Won 10 of 41 = 24 % 28 of 49 = 57 %

Break Point Conversions 0 of 2 = 0 % 5 of 7 = 71 % :yeah:

Net Approaches 7 of 9 = 78 % 16 of 20 = 80 % :eek:

Total Points Won 29 59

Fastest Serve 162 km/h 173 km/h (almost 108 mph!)

Average 1st Serve Speed 154 km/h 154 km/h

Average 2nd Serve Speed 141 km/h 131 km/h

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hingis' serve really impressed me today, it's lightyears better than it was pre-comeback. She isnt just using the first serve as a way to start the point now, she's actually trying to do something with it.

PLP
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Hingis' serve really impressed me today, it's lightyears better than it was pre-comeback. She isnt just using the first serve as a way to start the point now, she's actually trying to do something with it.

Yes, not only was her serve strong but she placed it soooo well :) . Even though she only had 2 aces she had MANY service winners!

bellascarlett
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Martina! :bounce:

Good for you and Good luck next match! Hoping for a Clijsters-Hingis QF! :)

CooCooCachoo
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Wow. Martina :eek: :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM
decent stats, great win, not unsurprising, I hope she can keep it up in the later rounds and get past the QF and beyond :yeah:

!Gio!
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Its a great win for Martina, she played really well, hopefully she will just get better with every match. She is so fit out there, I can see Martina and Kim being helped out by the heat in the long run.

UncleZeke
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM
everything was clicking for Martina.

Martian Stacey
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Great win Martina :yeah:

vma
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
what a difference from where Hingis were a year ago
last year, who would expect her to be nr 6 seed just 12 months later :)

Mark for Martina
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I just saw the gettyimages. Oh my... there was this one picture where Martina was hitting a forehand approach shot down the line mid-air!

She means business.

Ryan
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
What a fucking amazing performance. I woke up at 2am to watch, and I definately wasn't dissapointed. Martina went to her down the line backhand more in that match than I saw in the entire second half of 2006, and was really using extra topspin on her forehand at key points to force errors.

Did anyone else notice that Martina changed her serve position? She was way wider than usual, getting plenty of angle on her slice deuce serve and kick AD serve, while still being close enough to uncork a hard one up the tee on the deuce side. Very impressive service performance from Tina. Laine/whoever should be easy, and in this form I think she should handle Mirza too.

~Kiera~
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Good job, Martina!

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Martina has a difficult draw, and this was the right way to begin going through it.

barmaid
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Ryan said "Did anyone else notice that Martina changed her serve position? She was way wider than usual, getting plenty of angle on her slice deuce serve and kick AD serve, while still being close enough to uncork a hard one up the tee on the deuce side. Very impressive service performance from Tina. Laine/whoever should be easy, and in this form I think she should handle Mirza too."

Ryan, I agree that was the biggest part of Martina's game last night..her serve improved sooooooo much!:worship: It allowed the rest of her game to excel as well....fabulous job Marti!:hearts: :kiss: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

charmedRic
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
allez!

égalité
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Martina :worship:

LoveFifteen
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Congrats, Martina!

Why are you playing doubles, sweetie? Your draw is a bitch, and you know what playing doubles did for you in 2002! :mad:

brent-o
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Wow, Martina was just great. I was quite impressed with the pace she was getting on her shots and she was playing so confidently like the old Martina Hingis I know. Btw, she looked hot in that outfit. Hands down my favorite of the tournament.

laurie
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised Hingis beat Dechy so easily. I thought Natalie would give her a good game.

pooh14
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Congrats, Martina!

Why are you playing doubles, sweetie? Your draw is a bitch, and you know what playing doubles did for you in 2002! :mad:

ya, i was wondering the same thing.
with this weather, and the tough draw, why did she ever play doubles?
besides she always say her body is slower to recover now then before....

mixed doubles would have been better, at least the 3rd set is a tie-breaker.

i just hope both she and kuzzie would tank the match after getting adequate practise :p

swissmisshingis
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I waited for like 9 hours to watch her match, I even skipped 2 classes..and it was worth it, and her tan makes her even hotter :hearts: :drool:

swissmr
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Great win Martina :bounce:
But I'd really prefer it if she wasn't playing doubles :(

DavidW
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Excellent by Martina!!

This start - albeit against a struggling player - should wake a few people up. Hingis should have made people take notice with that.

DavidW
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Excellent by Martina!!

This start - albeit against a struggling player - should wake a few people up. Hingis should have made people take notice with that.

Chewie
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Did anyone else notice that Martina changed her serve position? She was way wider than usual, getting plenty of angle on her slice deuce serve and kick AD serve, while still being close enough to uncork a hard one up the tee on the deuce side. Very impressive service performance from Tina. Laine/whoever should be easy, and in this form I think she should handle Mirza too.

Interesting.

Looked like old Hingis play, very solid! :worship:

Wayn77
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
congratulations Ms Hingis - solid.

Dechy stunk the place out with that performance. :o

tennisfan5
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Didn't see it, but nice job! Martina averaging over 95 MPH on her first serve is quite an improvement for her. For most of last year it was much slower

tobi
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Congrats Martina :bolt:

Nathalie :help:

partbrit
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM
The service improvement was even greater than what she showed at the YECs. This pleased me very much. Martina has to be able to hold serve against power players. The rest, I trust her to figure out.

LUIS9
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Thought Dechy would put up a little more resistance than that.

Me too, Honestly I thought it would be more like 6-3 6-3, and if Hingis' game was off that it could have possibly gone to a third set. Nevertheless, we are talking about the aussie open Hingis' best surface and the place where she's had the most success. Besides Dechy does not possess the tools to overwhelm or cause problems for an in form or almost in top form Hingis.

Very solid win. Hopefully she can keep this form against more in form players ahead. :bounce:

LUIS9
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
By the way was this match aired after Sharapova's on Espn2? Chucks! They'l be airing Roddick and Serena tonight, Serena's is like third up, so that means like around 2am. This sucks. :lol:

PLP
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM
AM I one of the only Hingis fans that thinks Martina made the right choice by playing doubles!?

Mixed offers no points, less money, plus she won the mixed title last year.
Despite what she says about her body she is in the best shape of her life and you couldn't get a better partner in today's game than Sveta.

When Martina was winning all of her slams she played doubles. I think it massively helps her timing and range, especially at the net and the more she comes in against the top players the more successful she will be...Plus I would rather have Martina get to the singles final and be tired then to lose in the 3rd or 4th rd because of lack of match play! IMHO.

TonyP
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:29 AM
This match started after Sharapova/Pin was over. ESPN carried the entire match, start to finish, even though Kim's match in Laver was going on virtually at the same time, which I thought was interesting.

PLP
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
This match started after Sharapova/Pin was over. ESPN carried the entire match, start to finish, even though Kim's match in Laver was going on virtually at the same time, which I thought was interesting.

Well, the last few times Martina played Dechy it was close, the 3 setter at Tokyo and a fairly tight 2-setter in Zurich so this could have been a much tighter match than it was, PLus Nat was ranked in the top 15 at this time last year, so I can see there logic. :wavey:

Ryan
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:39 AM
PLP - I'm completey with you on the doubles. Mixed didn't hurt Martina last year, and I dont think womens doubles is much more of a drain on her. She looks wicked fit too.

LUIS9
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM
PLP - I'm completey with you on the doubles. Mixed didn't hurt Martina last year, and I dont think womens doubles is much more of a drain on her. She looks wicked fit too.

I mean it's simple Hingis game gets only sharper when she plays some doubles. You only have to look at her most successful seasons, whenever she committed to doubles she was also successful in sinlges. Remember she won the aussie double singles and doubles crown three years in a row. I mean she shouldn't over do it, and pretend she can play as many tournaments as she used to in the past but 5 or 6 doubles tournies especially scheduled wisely shouldn't be of any harm.

PLP
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I mean it's simple Hingis game gets only sharper when she plays some doubles. You only have to look at her most successful seasons, whenever she committed to doubles she was also successful in sinlges. Remember she won the aussie double singles and doubles crown three years in a row. I mean she shouldn't over do it, and pretend she can play as many tournaments as she used to in the past but 5 or 6 doubles tournies especially scheduled wisely shouldn't be of any harm.

Yeah, All 3 years...Very Impressive! :worship:

Corswandt
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Dechy should consider retirement, at least from singles. The foundation of her game is (was) her exceptional footwork and her almost unique way of always picking the right moment to attack. When I saw her play late last season though, I thought that her stamina and speed were no longer up to the task of competing with the top pros. She was missing shots one after the other because she reached them just a wee bit late. Against Hingis it was even worse. Only her tactical instincts are left - those are considerable, but of no avail when she can't run down her opponent's shots. And against someone who moves the ball so well while keeping it in like Hingis, that's fatal.

So, if Dechy wants to keep playing pro tennis, she should focus on doubles, where not being able to cover the whole court isn't an issue.