PDA

View Full Version : Give MARIA Credit? For What?

lizchris
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM
She couldn't even serve out the match, let a 5-0 lead get to 7-6 and made @70 unforced errors. This match was more about Camille Pin not being able to close it out and staying in the match when down 8-7 more than anything.

If anyone thinks she is a favorite to win this is delusional. She is no Serena from 2003 and if Kim can play her final AO the way I expect her to play, she will make the finall and possibly win it.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:16 AM
you give her credit just because....haven't you learned by now? Also, give her credit for using every ploy to get rest....isn't that what they also said? :shrug:

PatrickRyan
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:18 AM
cam gave it to her, she got tight after 30-15 serving for the match :sad:

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Have you EVER given her credit for ANYTHING?

TeaMMashA
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Well i just saw a packed Rod Laver Arena full of real tennis fans give both women a standing ovation. They played 3 great sets in blistering heat at mid day. If you can give both women credit for that then you will never swallow your pride. Both women shew heart and fight and gave us a great tennis match and if you can't appreciate that then i will have to question where your appreciation in tennis is.

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:24 AM
you give her credit just because....haven't you learned by now? Also, give her credit for using every ploy to get rest....isn't that what they also said? :shrug:

how quickly you forgot your fav, Venus's sister, using every ploy to break Kim's flow... btw, that was also AO. :p :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Oh please give an example when Serena used multiple things to gain a rest in a match and also point out when the commentators gave her credit for doing so? :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Some people will give her credit. Some will goof on her. Such is life..

UDACHi
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:36 AM
because she won the match.

swissmisshingis
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Maria :worship: :)

I'm just glad she won the match :)

lizchris
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Well i just saw a packed Rod Laver Arena full of real tennis fans give both women a standing ovation. They played 3 great sets in blistering heat at mid day. If you can give both women credit for that then you will never swallow your pride. Both women shew heart and fight and gave us a great tennis match and if you can't appreciate that then i will have to question where your appreciation in tennis is.

I appreciate someone who plays fair, but someone taking mroe than the alloted time for the heat break and trying to get more time to rest by going into the shade when Pin was trying to serve doesn't seem fair to me. Plus this isn't the first time she has done this s*it and quite frankly, I am sick and tired of her getting a pass while others would have been criticized for it.

spencercarlos
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:47 AM
She couldn't even serve out the match, let a 5-0 lead get to 7-6 and made @70 unforced errors. This match was more about Camille Pin not being able to close it out and staying in the match when down 8-7 more than anything.

If anyone thinks she is a favorite to win this is delusional. She is no Serena from 2003 and if Kim can play her final AO the way I expect her to play, she will make the finall and possibly win it.
Love the double standards here, can´t forget how much credit Venus got for beating Hingis last year in Warsaw, hitting yeah 80+ unforced errors.? Then Venus was credited for her win mainly from Hingis´s choke... yeah similar to this match...

Plus i would not count Maria out already, she is very favorite in her quarter to get to the semis, she´ll have a day off so i don´t think this match will take that much out of her phisically.

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

These "tennis fans" are so full of bitterness that they can't see beyond their own hatred.

It was/is over 120 degrees on the court. Maria did NOTHING against the rules for these conditions and was obviously hurting and unable to move in her normal manner. She could hardly keep the ball on the court yet she managed to pull herself together and finish a winner. At least the DRESS was pretty cause the match wasn't but a true champion finds a way to win which Maria did. Congrats to both girls for giving it their all in sweltering conditions.

stevos
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:51 AM
She was clearly not feeling great, extremely tired. Her last two games were clutch, she finally found her range.

Sure she was playing horribly, but every player does some days, and she pulled it out. Credit to her. I love you Maria :hearts:

And I agree jacobruiz, that dress is hot :drool:

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I appreciate someone who plays fair, but someone taking mroe than the alloted time for the heat break and trying to get more time to rest by going into the shade when Pin was trying to serve doesn't seem fair to me. Plus this isn't the first time she has done this s*it and quite frankly, I am sick and tired of her getting a pass while others would have been criticized for it.

She was hurt and called a trainer. What do you mean by "trying to get more rest by going into the shade"? What "s*it" did she do exactly? You've never had anything but hateful shit to say about Maria and you're just pissed off because she pulled out a win instead of losing!:lol:

TeaMMashA
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:55 AM

She had or could of had exactly the same breaks as Maria ;) Im not being funny but Pin could and should of been more sensible i respect what she did but in the end of the day you can't jump up and down from side to side in that heat, she was using the wrong tactics on this day. In an indoor match or in nice playing conditions hat's off to ya for sending that message but you just don't send that message in the heat it will catch up with ya, Maria played it cool and sensible like any tennis player with their head in the game would of done she played the right game/tactic.

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Oh please give an example when Serena used multiple things to gain a rest in a match and also point out when the commentators gave her credit for doing so? :rolleyes:

We had the pleasure to watch her ugly feet for at least 7 minutes... :rolleyes: And I mean UGLY. Remember now?

Louis Cyphre
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM
its always funny to read a thread made by sister`s fan about other players especially about Maria :lol: :yeah:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

MakarovaFan
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM
cam gave it to her, she got tight after 30-15 serving for the match :sad:

As much as i like camille(seems im one of her few fans),sadly she didnt give her the match....from 30/15 Sharapova smacked 2 clean winners,then yea Camille hit a double ok but still;Sharapova also earned the 7-7 game and most of the 8-7 game hitting an ace and about2-4 more winners,though camille did kinda choke a few points

BK4ever
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Go to bed. Everyone knows you don't like Maria but you could learn to be just a little less transparent with you hatred and jealousy.

When it really mattered she played to win while Pin sat back and waited for errors..does not matter really how she won...pin is heading home and Maria lives to see anothe round. Deal with it!!!

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:07 AM
We had the pleasure to watch her ugly feet for at least 7 minutes... :rolleyes: And I mean UGLY. Remember now?

No the question is do you? One she did that because her feet hurt not for a rest. Two, she took one time out that's not multiple times in a match and three the most important remind me when the commentators gave her credit for using stall tatics? I can't even say that was a good try. Get back to me when you think of an incident or when you figure out the post was more about the commentators than Maria's actions?

and Serena may have ugly feet but many people think Maria has an ugly personality. C'est La Vie.

btw, can someone explain to me how anything Serena may or may not have done has anything to do with what happened today? :confused:

bellascarlett
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Exactly...

Credit???? This is not about giving Maria Sharapova credit (that is, if someone can't swallow giving HER any credit), but this is about giving two tennis players who played an entertaining match and completed the said match in such brutal conditions a bit of respect and credit.

Some people here...:o

moby
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:14 AM
At the end of the day, when all her weapons deserted her and faced with an imminent early exit, Maria knuckled down for the win. Which is more than can be said for many top players in a similar situation (see Venus at AO last year, and even my fave Justine at Wimbledon a couple of years back, although I'd like to think that was an aberration.)

Diesel
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM
btw, can someone explain to me how anything Serena may or may not have done has anything to do with what happened today? :confused:

You are a Williams fan, so in order to justify and pass along Maria's actions, whether they be questionable or not, it is necessary for some to put out Serena's name (or Venus, which ever best fits their attempt at a counter) and attack her. It's the usual from them because they have no solid argument or point thus they wish to focus attention on Serena. It's arguing the poster instead of the subject and then also arguing the posters faves. Never fails.

-VSR-
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Give her credit for knowing when to take the injury timeout. It was good thinking on her part.

bellascarlett
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM
its always funny to read a thread made by sister`s fan about other players especially about Maria :lol: :yeah:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:lol:

PatrickRyan
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Give her credit for knowing when to take the injury timeout. It was good thinking on her part.

lizchris
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Exactly...

Credit???? This is not about giving Maria Sharapova credit (that is, if someone can't swallow giving HER any credit), but this is about giving two tennis players who played an entertaining match and completed the said match in such brutal conditions a bit of respect and credit.

Were you watching ESPN2? That is why I started this thread.:rolleyes: They gave her all the credit before they remembered that her opponent pushed her to the limit and THEN they gave her opponent credit.

GoDominique
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
You are a Williams fan, so in order to justify and pass along Maria's actions, whether they be questionable or not, it is necessary for some to put out Serena's name (or Venus, which ever best fits their attempt at a counter) and attack her. It's the usual from them because they have no solid argument or point thus they wish to focus attention on Serena. It's arguing the poster instead of the subject and then also arguing the posters faves. Never fails.
Now that you mention it, aren't the two main protagonists in this thread, lizcrap and Crocketta, experts at that technique? :tape:

starr
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM
ahhh the bitterness. Just let it alll out girls. The sweet taste of seeing Maria was right there on your tongues only to be replaed by the bitter bile of disappointment. It mst sting.

darrinbaker00
Now we know what Yuri's "remove the hat" sign meant..... :tape:

lizchris

I agree with that.

starr
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Exactly...

:worship:

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM

oh I see! :eek:

;)

TeaMMashA
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Were you watching ESPN2? That is why I started this thread.:rolleyes: They gave her all the credit before they remembered that her opponent pushed her to the limit and THEN they gave her opponent credit.

Well that is generally the idea in sport to give the player/team that comes out on top the first bit of credit.

Diesel
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:25 AM
oh I see! :eek:

;)

lizchris
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Well that is generally the idea in sport to give the player/team that comes out on top the first bit of credit.

Funny; I don't remember that happening to the eventual 2005 champion when she won that epic semifinal match.

TeaMMashA
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Funny; I don't remember that happening to the eventual 2005 champion when she won that epic semifinal match.

Just because it happens doesn't mean it is right. Shame that really.

franny
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Whatever, stop being stupid. Apparently, when Camille Pin came back from 5-0 down, it was her playing great and deserving all the credit? But when Maria comes back from being down and almost out, it's Pin not being able to close it out?

Are you even aware that Pin did nothing out there except run balls down? Close it out? What is she supposed to do to "close" it out?? Hit a forehand down the line winner followed by an ace? Or was she not able to close it out because Maria hit two winners off her serve?

tenn_ace
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:35 AM
One she did that because her feet hurt not for a rest.

bwahahaha

you are either totally deluded or stupid. one is not better than the other. and i'm done with you.

Martian Stacey
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Not everyone watches ESPN *shock* You didn't even mention ESPN in your first post, so how were they supposed to know that's what you're referring to?

lizchris
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Not everyone watches ESPN *shock* You didn't even mention ESPN in your first post, so how were they supposed to know that's what you're referring to?

They could have asked or wondered where I was coming from with this thread, but then I expected too much expecting some to use common sense. Next time I'll remember.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:47 AM
bwahahaha

you are either totally deluded or stupid. one is not better than the other. and i'm done with you.

I'm stupid? Yet you once again are having reading comprehension issues....point to where I said one was better than the other? They are different. The commentator gave Maria credit for using every thing she could to get extra rest. He actually said she was stretching it to the limit but you have to give her credit for thinking of them since she's 19. So once again what does that have to do with Serena and how does anything Serena did or didn't do yesterday, last year, or several years ago have to do with the commentator's comments? :confused:

harloo
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I give Maria credit for using every trick in the book to stay in this match. And the suprising thing about it is that she had the commentators supporting her. SMH :tape: Chris Fowler did slip when he attributed Maria's antics to gamesmanship, however Darren thought she was just "experienced" for a 19 year old. If this was someone else the commentators would of had a field day.

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
She deserves a lot of credit, she fought so hard today and played with all she had thru terrible heat and illness. Its the mark of a champ if you can get thru matches when your playing as badly as she did today and as bad as the weather and her illness was. I dont think many players would have gotten thru it.

madame_maria
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
i think we shouldn't bother explaining. if Maria lost the match, the site will only be full of threads about how badly she played and how weak her fitness is, how she cheats and pulls out injury timeouts, how she acts injured and whatever not.

it won't stop and they wouldn't give up. so i guess save ourselves the effort, save innocent posters the need for such redundancy, and prevent the haters from having more chances to validate their inferences of what they see.

clearly, everyone's judgements will be marred by their tastes and distastes. still, some would rather air their displeasure then just live, and let live. give it a break you guys.

faste5683
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I give Maria credit for using every trick in the book to stay in this match. And the suprising thing about it is that she had the commentators supporting her. SMH :tape: Chris Fowler did slip when he attributed Maria's antics to gamesmanship, however Darren thought she was just "experienced" for a 19 year old. If this was someone else the commentators would of had a field day.

Yup. And don't forget Mary-Joes hubby is Maria's agent...

:wavey:

Princeza
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:39 AM
well id like to see all of you , playing under 40degrees with stomach pain and the pressure to lose being N1 of the tournament at 19 years old instead of being behind your computer criticizing a player you probably didnt watch

Huntress555
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I give her credit because she didnt give up and she worked through her discomfort when she was obviously in pain! she managed to win the match not playing her best tennis. Pin also did very well however.

Go Maria :)

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
well id like to see all of you , playing under 40degrees with stomach pain and the pressure to lose being N1 of the tournament at 19 years old instead of being behind your computer criticizing a player you probably didnt watch
:worship:

Sugar_Kane
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I don't know but seeing as you brought her into this discussion maybe you should explain :rolleyes:

Venus was brought in to demonstrate the double standards of the origional poster but you brought Serena into it.

Ryan
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
:rolleyes: Typical. In this heat, with her abdominal pinches or whatever, a time out that late is probably a good thing. However, I'm very surprised a Serena fan is accusing Maria of gamesmanship, really.

bandabou
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM
hmm..didn't see the match, but if comments are true...I guess some things will never change. If only Serena had received as many accolades after her win over Maria back then in '05...

Dasha_
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I didn't see the hole match. OK, she somehow managed to win it on the and, or Pin just lost it. But, from what I've seen, she is no favorite to win this tournament. With this game she will not even make it to the semis.

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
hmm..didn't see the match, but if comments are true...I guess some things will never change. If only Serena had received as many accolades after her win over Maria back then in '05...

Yeah, Serena never got half the accolades after that match as Maria did after winning this match.

:smash:

Monica_Rules
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Maria did not play well at all but she survived. Thats what champions do win matches when not playing there best tennis. Thats what any tennis fan should know.

It will be interesting to see Maria's next match, cos something tells me she'll want to make a statement.

Lachrymarum
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I just enjoyed seeing Camille being "fresh as a daisy" as that one Australian bloke commented :p ;)
As for Maria's actions....well I'm neither a Williams nor a Sharapova fan (therefore I'm not biased in any way, shape or form) it was pretty obvious that she was struggling (physically) out there. I would probably do the same thing (find shade, rest when I could, etc.) if I were in her shoes. I even forgave her for using an expletive at the umpire during the 3rd set.
The girl is only human.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I don't know why anyone thinks Sharapova won't recover from this. Just look at the 2005 Australian Open; she loses the first set against Lee Waters in the second round and loses only two games in the third round. Her next three matches went to three, but you can count on Sharapova to destroy Rodionova. After that I'm not sure. Yuri will knock some sense in her.

That said, while I'm a very big Sharapova hater, it took guts out there for her to win. Anyone who saw the match should know that even in the first set Pin had Maria on the ropes and hit some great shots towards the end of the match. This is a career-defining moment for Sharapova; not many would have survived that match in her position, especially after losing a 5-0 advantage in the third.

Now, that said, anyone else notice Sharapova hit her best shots when she wasn't grunting/screaming? Not just even in the third, during the whole match. Food for thought.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I give her credit because she didnt give up and she worked through her discomfort when she was obviously in pain! she managed to win the match not playing her best tennis. Pin also did very well however.

Go Maria :)

Exactly! BOTH girls get full CREDIT for such an amazing match under awfull conditions. :bounce:

bandabou
Yeah, Serena never got half the accolades after that match as Maria did after winning this match.

:smash:

C'est la vie...I guess.

Aravanecaravan
Whatever, stop being stupid. Apparently, when Camille Pin came back from 5-0 down, it was her playing great and deserving all the credit? But when Maria comes back from being down and almost out, it's Pin not being able to close it out?

Are you even aware that Pin did nothing out there except run balls down? Close it out? What is she supposed to do to "close" it out?? Hit a forehand down the line winner followed by an ace? Or was she not able to close it out because Maria hit two winners off her serve?

:yeah:

Shhh. You don't want to confuse any of the haters with facts. It doesn't mesh too well with their agendas.

Maria dug deep when it mattered, in spite of the fact that she and Pin had to play at least 83 minutes in conditions no other player in the women's draw had to face.

Only morons on a message board would fail to recognize the heroism in that.

Wojtek
Jan 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I didn't see the hole match. OK, she somehow managed to win it on the and, or Pin just lost it. But, from what I've seen, she is no favorite to win this tournament. With this game she will not even make it to the semis.
Yes after first match i know who will be in the semis :lol:

the cat
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Liz, if I started giving Maria credit I would be here posting for hours. ;) Great win by Masha over Pin. Especially considering she's not match tough and had to play a fitter player who was match tough in mind boggling oppresive heat. :eek: Well done to Maria for winning this match after it looked like she had lost it. :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
:yawn:

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Well, lets just see how well either Fatty plays in 120 degree on-court heat.

Sugar_Kane
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Well, lets just see how well either Fatty plays in 120 degree on-court heat.

There's no nee to be mean to Serena, it's not her fault she's got some despicable fans, most are actually some of the nicest people ever. Every fan group has it's bad eggs, some are just more vocal than others.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
how quickly you forgot your fav, Venus's sister, using every ploy to break Kim's flow... btw, that was also AO. :p :rolleyes:

I don't know but seeing as you brought her into this discussion maybe you should explain :rolleyes:

Venus was brought in to demonstrate the double standards of the origional poster but you brought Serena into it.

Maybe you should read things twice before you say something next time? :o :o :o :o

Jakeev
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Wow, lizchris is back with a vengeance.:eek: Just when I thought she went soft she has started one of the most argumentative posts of 07!!!

Where the hell ya been?

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Wow, lizchris is back with a vengeance.:eek: Just when I thought she went soft she has started one of the most argumentative posts of 07!!!

Where the hell ya been?

Something seems to have re-ignited her "passion".:lol:

-Sonic-
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Kim double bagelled her opponent today.

My credit is there.

The number of times I've heard Pin called crap, slow, unfit, fat, unpowerful, and the number of times I've seen the :tape: thing next to her name because people are embarrassed _for_ her game.... she did amazing today. Maria did in 3 hours what she should have done in 30 minutes. Big wows. Pin's only won 2 GS matches out of about 13 or 14 GS's!

Shimizu Amon
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
My credit goes out to both players. They played under extreme conditions. And even though Masha didn't play her best match, she dug deep and was victorious, she didn't fell. Not under the pressure and not under the extreme conditions. So yes she deserves credit as well as Pin.
And it's my opinion that Masha still is one of the contenders to win the AO.
But it is and always will be tennis, you can never expect what will happen next.

gmak
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM
the haters will always be haters :shrug:

maria :hug:

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Kim double bagelled her opponent today.

My credit is there.

Kim played a great match. And, luck for her, she was able to play in Rod Laver stadium after the roof was closed and the place air-conditioned.

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Kim played a great match. And, luck for her, she was able to play in Rod Laver stadium after the roof was closed and the place air-conditioned.

Yes, we forget that Maria is the only player to have ever played in extreme heat.

*cough*

Liz is being ridiculous, but there's no reason to try to out-do her.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Where the hell ya been?

:haha:

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, we forget that Maria is the only player to have ever played in extreme heat.

*cough*

Liz is being ridiculous, but there's no reason to try to out-do her.

Pardon me but who is saying that Maria is the only player to have played in this heat?:rolleyes: The poster I quoted said in this thread about Maria that his credit goes to Kim who beat her opponent 0 and 0.

Mentioning that Kim played in an air-conditioned court is trying to out-do Liz?
Pulease.:rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Pardon me but who is saying that Maria is the only player to have played in this heat?:rolleyes: The poster I quoted said in this thread about Maria that his credit goes to Kim who beat her opponent 0 and 0.

Mentioning that Kim played in an air-conditioned court is trying to out-do Liz?Pulease.:rolleyes:

I know..i don't get that comment either ...:lol: I would love for her to expain though :D

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I often feel like an outsider looking in, but I feel like people criticize and pressure Maria too much. She's young and extremely gifted. I think people sometimes forget how young Maria is. They see a tall woman with attitude, but it's easy to forget that she's just 19 and has spent much of her life practicing tennis, not dealing with a normal life like most people. Give the girl a break.

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I know..i don't get that comment either ...:lol: I would love for her to expain though :D

The point is that neither Kim's nor Maria's situation was unique - they both played opponents that were experiencing the exact same conditions they were. So the heat itself doesn't account for the differences in the scorelines.

I DO give her credit for holding on and digging herself out of a hole, but she never should have let herself GET in that hole in the first place.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Let's see the thread is about giving credit, Jaco tried to diminish the credit given to Kim by the poster by saying yeah but Kim played in AC blah blah blah, like Kim is not capable of beating a player 6-0, 6-0 in the heat. However, I don't speak for Griffin but that's my guess. :hehehe:

tterb
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I don't care for Maria much at all, but she surely deserves credit in my book for pulling out the match under such oppressive conditions. She doesn't deserve a medal or anything, but you have to respect her fight out there.

Yes, she should have closed Pin out in under an hour, but everyone has off days - it's just that most off days don't occur in such awful heat. And while it's definitely the players' responsibility to be match fit, I don't feel anyone should be expected to perform in that heat... tennis shouldn't be about who can withstand dangerous conditions longest.

So, yeah, I don't think anyone should be praising Maria to high heavens over this win, but I don't see how she doesn't deserve credit for toughing it out. (And credit to Pin for her play, as well - the groundstrokes were actually semi-decent at times, and she got back a lot of balls.)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
The point is that neither Kim's nor Maria's situation was unique - they both played opponents that were experiencing the exact same conditions they were. So the heat itself doesn't account for the differences in the scorelines.

I DO give her credit for holding on and digging herself out of a hole, but she never should have let herself GET in that hole in the first place.

I don't know if your a tennis player or not..but..i can tell you first hand that there is a HUGE difference from playing indoors in an air conditioned stadium then outside in the blazing 100 degree sun . Thats why there is a heat rule and not an indoor air conditoning rule. It should have been enfoced at an earlier time.
As for giving Maria credit..like i said before..both girls dug deep and should recieve credit for there play. Maria still won the match. Thats why she is the champion that she has become, the no 1 seed and soon to be no 1 in the world. She fights AND wins more then anyone out there. No matter what the situation.
Thank you for explaining though :D

jacobruiz
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Let's see the thread is about giving credit, Jaco tried to diminish the credit given to Kim by the poster by saying yeah but Kim played in AC blah blah blah, like Kim is not capable of beating a player 6-0, 6-0 in the heat. However, I don't speak for Griffin but that's my guess. :hehehe:

Wrong again, Rocky. Kim is my second favorite player and she is more than capable of destroying an opponent on any given day. But I'm sure she was able to do it a bit more comfortably in the air-conditioning, just as I believe that Maria will do a little better in those conditions.

Nice to see you again in this Maria thread, though.:wavey:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM

All the credit to Kim who was capable of beating her opponent today 0 and 0. They played totally different opponents though. Most people did not realise how much of a fighter Pinn has become in her own right. Who knows what would have happened if everything was reversed. We could go on like this for days. :lol: You know darn well that if Justine or the Williams sisters would have won 9-7 in the heat with the same condtions that some posters (albite different posters :lol: ) would be hating all the same. Some of the posters hating on Maria would be defending justine or the williams for the same reason they are going against Maria.
Blah, Blah Blah...Maria won and Kim won in very different coniditions. Thats pretty much what it equals out to be. There still the top 2 favorites when the day is all said and done. :bounce:

Sefo
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Who said that Maria has an easy draw?
Who said that Maria's fans have an easy life?

But I give her the credit for the Drama. And not for her 1Dim play.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Wrong again, Rocky. Kim is my second favorite player and she is more than capable of destroying an opponent on any given day. But I'm sure she was able to do it a bit more comfortably in the air-conditioning, just as I believe that Maria will do a little better in those conditions.

Nice to see you again in this Maria thread, though.:wavey:

is this a Maria thread? I thought it was a thread about the commentators giving her all the credit? Once again not about Maria no matter how much you want it to be. :wavey:

oh and fyi that wasn't about you but about what Griffin meant. ;)

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I don't know if your a tennis player or not..but..i can tell you first hand that there is a HUGE difference from playing indoors[B] in an air conditioned stadium then outside in the blazing 100 degree sun .

Gee, really? Thanks, Capt. Obvious :lol:

Again (once more, with feeling...), their opponents were playing in the same conditions they were. The same heat that would make it harder for Maria to wax Pin, made it harder for Pin to avoid a straight-set loss.

Corswandt
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The Willies fans are so paranoid I bet some of them (thread starter included) believe that Maria intentionally got herself into all this DRAMA just to steal the spotlight from "Ree".

2moretogo
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Hey everyone! Computer issues kept me from commenting. Maria deserves credit for not retiring and keeping the ball in play. Having said that, Pin is the biggest choker in the history of tennis. (well maybe this is an overexaggeration). Pin lost my the match, Maria didn't win it, but that happens sometimes. Personally, I think it would suck if Pin had won. I may not be a Maria fan, but she is entertaining to watch (albeit on mute).

MakarovaFan
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Uh actually yea she was;from just that last set a saw several downthe line forehand winners from Camille,maybe because they weren't 80 mph screamers they dont count:rolleyes: ;sure no aces but please her groundies were adequate and well placed enough to move maria and produce a winner

Shane54
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM

LizChris, at again huh gurl? Face it, you can't stand anyone who is a threat to the sisters and it doesn't help either that Maria is "blonde and fair" (hint)

Aravanecaravan
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM

LOL--now that's funny.

And completely irrational. For starters, that logic complete dismisses the medical fact that smaller body types can survive extreme conditions far better than larger ones. It's been that way throughout history, btw. The dinosaurs died, the mammals survived...

The conditions created an actual physical disadvantage for Sharapova that was beyond her control. She didn't play her best, but that wasn't why Maria was gasping for breath at 7 all in the third set of a 3-hour match in an oven. Or why she had to seek medical attention after the match.

I'd say that it's a virtual certainty that any of the top players, due to their size and weight, would physically hit the wall at some point in a match played in conditions like that, against a smaller, leaner opponent. To think otherwise defies reason. What matters is that she found the will to win a match that she had all but lost.

It's certainly not Clijsters' or Hingis' fault that they got scheduled when they did, but trying to compare their performances to Sharapova's in such a situation is nuts. A better comparision might come in the second round, if they all get to play in more normal conditions.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Gee, really? Thanks, Capt. Obvious :lol:

Again (once more, with feeling...), their opponents were playing in the same conditions they were. The same heat that would make it harder for Maria to wax Pin, made it harder for Pin to avoid a straight-set loss.

Again...but please read slower and notice the capitals... I'm happy that you understand. I would have never thought so from a couple of your comments :lol: Many things are quite obvious. Sometimes you still have to break it down in a "101" way for some people . But, it still does not explain your comments. Which brings me to this. I mean.. hasn't it been it OBVIOUS over the years that the heat has a more negativly profound affect on Maria then the avg player ? You make the comment about Maria being the only player affected by the heat. You laugh and try to pass it off as a joke, but it still comes off as a huge put down. Also,as stated above...same conditions , different players...blah, blah, blah...oooh lord...i have other things to do today:lol: ...we all know what this boils down to. If this was a thread about a few other players it would have been deleted by the 2nd page. Its quite sad, yet par for the course of wta world.

Ps...Like any other player who played yesterday...Maria DOES DESERVE CREDIT for battling the heat and FOR W I N N I N G. lol... Bye Bye :wavey:

griffin
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:03 PM
..i have other things to do today:lol: ...

Clearly not :lol:

we all know what this boils down to. If this was a thread about a few other players it would have been deleted by the 2nd page. Its quite sad, yet par for the course of wta world. Bye Bye :wavey:

:baby: Now you really are being ridicuous - but I do appreciate the laugh ;)

Dave.
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
It was a close match today, but Pin really let Sharapva off the hook by choking. It was more Pin choking than Sharapova winning because Pin really was outplaying Sharapova in the final set and had all the momentum in her favour. Credit can be given to Sharapova for keeping the ball in, but Pin really should have won. It was hard to watch the end when Pin was heartbroken.

Against Rodionova, Sharapova may be allowed to play her game a bit more instead of being forced to do something she can't (like against Pin). If she can get enough rest then she may be a favourite again, but that match really would have taken it out of her. I think Clijsters, Mauresmo, Hingis etc. have better chances right now.

Stamp Paid
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
:rolleyes: Typical. In this heat, with her abdominal pinches or whatever, a time out that late is probably a good thing. However, I'm very surprised a Serena fan is accusing Maria of gamesmanship, really.

LOL and why is that?

Mileen
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I agree! And I wish she finally gets a penalty for on-court coaching. Who TH does she think she is.