PDA

View Full Version : Justine, Amelie, and Martina to play Charleston!

bucklemyshoe
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Justine Henin-Hardenne, Amélie Mauresmo, and Martina Hingis enter 2007 Family Circle Cup

First time in Family Circle Cup history that these
players all compete in the same year!

Since computer rankings were started in 1973, only 15 women have achieved the status of World #1 on the women’s professional tennis tour. This year, the Family Circle Cup is proud to announce that three members of that elite club will be joining a host of other top players in battling for one of the most coveted trophies in women’s tennis. Current World #1 player and two-time Family Circle Cup champion Justine Henin-Hardenne (2003 & 2005), who has held the #1 position for 46 weeks in her career, has officially entered the 2007 Family Circle Cup. Two-time Grand Slam champion Amélie Mauresmo, who throughout her career, has held the World #1 ranking for 39 weeks will also be competing in this year’s event. Joining these superstars in Charleston is 7th ranked Martina Hingis, another two-time Family Circle Cup champion (1997 & 1999), who has also held the world number one ranking for an incredible 209 weeks in her career. This year marks the first time in the history of the tournament that all three of these former No. 1 players will be competing at the Family Circle Cup in the same year.

“We are extremely proud to have three of the game’s best coming to Charleston this year. Over the last couple of years, these three young women have played such an instrumental role in leading their sport,” commented Robin Reynolds, Family Circle Cup Tournament Director. “The Family Circle Cup has always been about highlighting the top women tennis players in the world, and with our announcement today we are pleased to continue that tradition.”

http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20070113161904.html

treufreund
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM
wow awesome field!!!!

DavidW
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Excellent and historic news!!!

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
No word about Nadia, who dominated on the green clay last year.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Too bad I'm not a big fan of any of them. I'm trying my hardest to get to the FCC this April, since I live in South Carolina. Well. Seeing Mauresmo would be pretty nice, really.

iPatty
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
YES! :banana:

I go there every year and I'll finally get to see Amelie and Martina live. :hearts:

Ohhh, I'm so excited now. :D

PLP
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Awesome!! So are they the top seeds or are there other top 8 players committed?

SOOOOOOOOOO happy Martina is playing in Charleston!! I would love too see to finally have a JuJu/Martina match on clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make it the final! :)

PLP
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
YES! :banana:

I go there every year and I'll finally get to see Amelie and Martina live. :hearts:

Ohhh, I'm so excited now. :D

:drool: I am so jealous!!! Do you know if Nadia and Patty are playing again this year?

iPatty
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Awesome!! So are they the top seeds or are there other top 8 players committed?

SOOOOOOOOOO happy Martina is playing in Charleston!! I would love too see to finally have a JuJu/Martina match on clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make it the final! :)

I know Patty Schnyder is going, and Petrova is probably going.

Not sure about Kuznetsova, but she played in 2006. Safina might play too.

Looks like the best field yet. :hearts:

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Cool :D

Helen Lawson
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I swear, this year I really am going to yell out at Justine, "Justine, will you marry me?" The gal needs a little confidence boost these days!

Davenselesport
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Svetlana Kuznetsova Enters The Family Circle Cup

:)

Davenselesport
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
MARIA SHARAPOVA enters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Martina Hingis

wow

sfselesfan
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Let's hope they all stay healthy through Key Biscayne. This leg of the season usually claims a number of casualties.

SF

spinpup
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Martina Hingis

wow

This is my first tennis tournament I'm going to. And I can't wait!!!!:bounce:
What a line up.

Davenselesport
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
What a line up.

Charleston is a lot of fun... get there early because you get very close to the players on the practice courts.

sfselesfan
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
What a line up.

Serena has a long history with this tournament too. She might enter as well. That would be insane!

SF

Allez-H
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I swear, this year I really am going to yell out at Justine, "Justine, will you marry me?" The gal needs a little confidence boost these days!

I'll adore you if you do that :lol: I remember a few years ago somebody in the crowd (Berlin) shouted "Je t'aime Justine" in a heavy German accent. A marriage proposal would be a first :p

iPatty
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I don't like Maria, but I won't pass by a chance to see her live. I'm making sure I go for the R16 again this year, since some of the top players could be out by then.

Hopefully no one withdraws. This is an awesome field.

iPatty
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM
My dad says he's going to scream like Maria after every point (he hates her), so I may have to sit somewhere else. :lol:

hablo
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM

Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Martina Hingis

wow

ALLEZ Momo. :armed:

Rocketta
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
grrr, the one year I'm not going to be able to go Martina and Amelie play!!!!! :fiery:

cellophane
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM
:eek:

I hope Nadia defends her title. :bolt:

PLP
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know if Serena is planning on playing? Such an incredible field already! Anyway, I may try and go this year...:eek:

felipe2004
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Wow, this is really a Tier I tournament ;)

UncleZeke
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:37 AM
Hope they all show up.

Beny
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
I hope Lena will enter this year...pleaseee Lena, play FCC..

ioni
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM

:lol: and if she says yes ? :lol:

améliemomo
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:16 AM
ALLEZ Momo. :armed:

Right.:boxing:

CORIA01
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Come on MARTINA!!!!!:bounce:

sapir1434
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Right.:boxing:

:bounce:

LDF
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Wow, great field! :D

Hopefully everyone will actually play :)

Williams-forever
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
There has also been some speculation whether Venus would enter recently...I hope she does:hearts:

griffin
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM
grrr, the one year I'm not going to be able to go Martina and Amelie play!!!!! :fiery:

Can't you call in sick or soemthing?

Rocketta
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Can't you call in sick or soemthing?

no, I think my boss is going to go out for surgery that week. I'll find out next week if she can get that week, if not then I think I will be able to go. Oh well, I at least can go to the qualies and the championship weekend. :(

jujufreak
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:05 PM

Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Martina Hingis

wow

:eek: :bounce: GREAT !!!!

What about Serena and/or Venus ?

RenaSlam.
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Venus likes Charleston, she's won it before. I hope she plays.

mboyle
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Serena has a long history with this tournament too. She might enter as well. That would be insane!

SF

I don't think she will because of the Confederate flag deal. The NAACP doesn't like South Carolina, and Serena is very loyal to the NAACP.

Rocketta
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think she will because of the Confederate flag deal. The NAACP doesn't like South Carolina, and Serena is very loyal to the NAACP.

Serena has played in Charleston since that boycott.....unless there is a new boycott I'm not aware of.

Helen Lawson
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'll adore you if you do that :lol: I remember a few years ago somebody in the crowd (Berlin) shouted "Je t'aime Justine" in a heavy German accent. A marriage proposal would be a first :p

Well, I have to get my nerve up. Despite my surly and outgoing, forthright demeanor on-line, I'm not someone who shouts like that. Plus, with Maria now playing, I'll be wearing my custom "I [Heart] Big Masha" t-shirt! :D
Or I could spend an hour at the bar right beforehand, that could work also.