PDA

View Full Version : Shriver praises Serena

eugreene2
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Didn't look like this was posted yet so I had to do it. Call me naieve (sp?) but I really believe Shriver, Carillo & Fernandez want Serena & Venus to get back to playing top-notch, Injury-free tennis.

Signs of life from Serena in straight-sets win by Pam Shriver

MELBOURNE, Australia -- I don't think anyone has built up a ton of confidence yet, but what a big opening match for Serena Williams. Even though it was against a low seed (No. 27 Mara Santangelo), Williams did it in emphatic style, grabbing the match from 2-all in the first set. Serena broke Santangelo to go up 3-2 and then served three aces in a row to take a 4-2 lead and never looked back. After the break of serve and three aces in a row, the match was never contested.

Serena Williams will face qualifier Anne Kremer in the second round.
Ten aces in a 6-2, 6-1 match is impressive, and Serena looked like she was moving pretty well; although, let's face it, she still is not in the best shape. Still, considering she played four tournaments last year and all the rust, I thought Serena looked great. Mind you, it's the first major of the year and everybody is a little rusty.

Serena's decision to play Hobart last week was great move. She shook off some of the rust there because she's not in her best condition and hasn't played that many matches. Right now, Serena has to get every advantage and playing last week was a great decision.

For the tournament's sake and for U.S. women's tennis, Serena Williams is crucial -- more so for U.S. women's tennis -- because she's young enough (25) and still good enough that she can become a factor again. And it could happen at the end of these two weeks. Then again, she could also lose to Anne Kremer in the second round.

Serena has never had a first-round loss at a Grand Slam and she showed some signs that there's a possibility for her to be a factor quickly. She's won tournaments out of the blue before: she won her first major (1999 U.S. Open) and last major ('05 Australian) out of the blue. You can't assume anything with her, especially if it gets hot here and if she gets involved in some tough matches. You have to have a fitness level and level of commitment that is just so very high. She needs to prove that to me before I'm a total believer.

alwayshingis
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
If this thread were called "Shriver is a racist" there would be pages upon pages of posts already, but no one is interested when something positive is said. Look at that.

Craigy
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
:worship:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
If this thread were called "Shriver is a racist" there would be pages upon pages of posts already, but no one is interested when something positive is said. Look at that.

This is far from fair yet not unexpected.

eugreene2
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
What is far from fair SDG?

vettipooh
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Nice words, Pam! :yeah: If you can't beat them, join them! ;) :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
There ya go Pammy! Her babys must be mellowing her :lol:

Brooklyn90
:yeah: nice article!

tennisbum79
I never thought Pam and MJF had ill will against Serena.

I just think they are disappointed that she has squandered her chances of winning many
more slams by getting disctracted by hollywood limelight.
And in expressing this opinion, they may have been a little harsh and out of line.

I would not say the same for Mary Carillo, although I do not think she is racist. She is just brash.
She has had run-ins wtih Agassi, Rodick to the point where they refused to talk to her at some point.

jdyshrky
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Pam? Is that you?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I never thought Pammy was racist. She LOVES Ree. She's just tough on her like a daughter. I mean Serena has done more in her carreer than the ENTIRE tennis broadcasting establishment (save Navratilova)...I think ANYONE of them would give their left breast/testicle, to have the career Serena had/has. I just think all of them are sad that she's not going about it the same way they would. But remember Tiger went through that AWFUL 2 year stretch and ever missed the cut @ a major for the first time, and now.....:drool: So, Ree will get back with or without their support, it's a very nice article from Pammy and VERY different that what she said at the beginning of the match :unsure:

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
What is far from fair SDG?

There was a thread last night that stated Carillo was racist. It was a multiple page thread that had the majority of posters within it disagreeing with the OP.

MisterMan
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM
She has had run-ins wtih Agassi, Rodick to the point where they refused to talk to her at some point.

Her anger at Roddick is justified. He is incredibly rude to every opponent ranked outside the top 10, and its getting worse. Yesterday he had a long volley at the net with Tsonga and after he won the point Andy SCREAMED "fucking prick". Clear as day and the commentors could do nothing but squirm.
He laughed out loud when Tsonga hit the net, and stared him down & smiled after Andy hit a winner past him.

Pat Mac and Drysdale said they are extremely disappointed in him after he verbally abused the ref calling him 'unintelligent'.
He's a spoiled rotten rich kid with no respect, and it makes me sad to be an American when I see this behavior.

Bow down to Pam for not coddling him like the media does.
The commentators actually suggested fining penalties for such behavior.

Mina Vagante
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
:worship: loves it

:inlove:
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM
:yeah:

tennisbum79
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Her anger at Roddick is justified. He is incredibly rude to every opponent ranked outside the top 10, and its getting worse. Yesterday he had a long volley at the net with Tsonga and after he won the point Andy SCREAMED "fucking prick". Clear as day and the commentors could do nothing but squirm.
He laughed out loud when Tsonga hit the net, and stared him down & smiled after Andy hit a winner past him.

Pat Mac and Drysdale said they are extremely disappointed in him after he verbally abused the ref calling him 'unintelligent'.
He's a spoiled rotten rich kid with no respect, and it makes me sad to be an American when I see this behavior.

Bow down to Pam for not coddling him like the media does.
The commentators actually suggested fining penalties for such behavior.

Whow! I was nor aware of this incident.
that was uggly!

gmak
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Roddick :mad: :fiery: :rolleyes:

someone please beat him :shrug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Racist!!!

:rolleyes:

tennisbum79
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I just finished watching the match, and MJF commentaries were measured, to the point and insighful.

DavidW
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM
That was a nice insight.

Having watched the match, you could see how hungry Serena was and built from almost being broke early to shutting the game down. Now, I'm not a S.Williams fan or hater, but she put a very strong performance in considering the 'time off' she has had in the last year. I think people saying "she is going to win it all" is definitely jumping the gun; but she should do her fans proud and continue to drop more rust with every game/set and match. :)