PDA

View Full Version : 150 spectators ejected from Aussie Open after ethnic brawl

St.Sebastian
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Don't know if it was posted yet

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/15012007/3/tennis-150-spectators-ejected-aussie-open-ethnic-brawl.html

That is shocking!

MELBOURNE (AFP) - Police have ejected about 150 spectators from the Australian Open after an ugly brawl broke out between Serbian and Croatian fans inside the ground.

Fans wearing the national colours of the bitter Balkan rivals clashed in the Rod Laver Arena after taunting and hurling insults at each other.

Witnesses said they kicked and punched each other and set upon their rivals with flagpoles before dozens of police and security staff rushed in to end the melee and eject the combatants after confiscating their tickets.

"They were mostly Serbians ejected as they were upsetting the Croatians," Victoria state police spokeswoman Katherine Jess said.

Earlier, a group of fans gathered in central Melbourne and lit flares as they made their way to the stadium.

"It's bad because you go to the tennis and you go to watch and then it ends up in an actual brawl, it's just ridiculous," a Croatian fan called Marina told Australian Associated Press.

"You go to cheer on your actual player, not to go and fight."

Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood said there were no injuries or arrests and security staff had acted swiftly to end the fight.

He said fans in national colours had always been a welcome feature of the season-opening Grand Slam but organisers would not let troublemakers ruin the day for other patrons.

"We hope that today’s well coordinated response sends a clear message that while we are happy for fans to come along and support their favourite player, decisive action will be taken if any patrons, or groups, cross the line of acceptable behaviour at this family event," he said.

The Serbian fans had gathered to support in-form youngster Jelena Jankovic, while the Croats were at the tournament for daytime matches involving Mario Ancic, Karolina Sprem and Ivan Ljubicic.

Serbian Novak Djokovic plays China's Nicolas Massu in a night session.

Ancic said he knew nothing about the disturbance, which occurred as he was cruising to a straight sets victory over Japan's Go Soeda.

"No, I had no idea," he said, before defending Croatian fans.

"We are well known for great support but correct support. I don't know (of) any excess ever."

Serbian supporters were criticised at last week's Sydney International final when they booed Belgian Kim Clijsters during her win over Jankovic and chanted during her victory speech.

Melbourne has large Croatian and Serbian populations and rivalries between the communities has in the past spilled over into violence at football matches.

Community leaders from both sides condemned the violence but blamed each other for the clash.

"National pride is one thing but this is unacceptable," Croatian Community Association secretary Tom Starcevic said.

"I wasn't there but from what I've seen and heard the Serbs were quite provocative."

Serbian Cultural Club president, Toma Banjanin, said Croatian supporters provoked Serbian fans by flaunting their colours.

"You didn't see many Serbs dressed that way," Banjanin said. "I think Croats are always overdoing things, they are always mixing politics with sport."

Ferosh
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Good, that kind of behaviour is unaccepatable from anyone.

*JR*
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
The Serbs were mad about what the Ustashe Bikic Bastards have done to Jeca's career. (Maybe Damir organized it). :hehehe:

Cilla
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
:o

I think the organizers are a bit worried about tomorrow, as a Serb plays a Croat in the mens's draw :o

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Serbian Novak Djokovic plays China's Nicolas Massu in a night session.
:tape:

piercerocks
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM
nicolas massu was chinese since when?? wow first they say srebotnik is slovakian and now they are calling a chilean chinese.. these journalists need to check their facts

V.Melb
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
These kids are over nationalistic morons.... how about waving the AUSTRALIAN flag..... 80% of them were born and bred in MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA. To my knowlege most of them are not capable of strining a sentence together in Serbian or Croatian.... idiots.... i would like to see them on the streets of Zagreb or Belgrade crying like little babies.

tenn_ace
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Serbian Cultural Club president, Toma Banjanin, said Croatian supporters provoked Serbian fans by flaunting their colours.

"You didn't see many Serbs dressed that way," Banjanin said. "I think Croats are always overdoing things, they are always mixing politics with sport."

So??????? :rolleyes:

How the f*ck is this Serbs' business????

Haute
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
nicolas massu was chinese since when?? wow first they say srebotnik is slovakian and now they are calling a chilean chinese.. these journalists need to check their facts

If they don't know anything about tennis it's easy to get the abbreviations for Chile (CHI) and China (CHN) mixed up. Most people would assume that CHI is China. That's my guess at least.

What's the real cause between the tension between Serbians and Croatians? Is it just conflicting nationalism?

tobi
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Shame on them :o :help: :o

njnetswill
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
"Serbian Novak Djokovic plays China's Nicolas Massu in a night session."

If only China has a male player as Massu's calibre. Then again, he lost 1, 1, and 0 to Ancic.

©@®eLess
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
"National pride is one thing but this is unacceptable," Croatian Community Association secretary Tom Starcevic said.

"I wasn't there but from what I've seen and heard the Serbs were quite provocative."

."

So can anyone tell me why this well informed jurnalist that says Massu is from China took a statement from a man who wasnt at the actual event!?????

I mean if this is how u write articles and get money....Can i do it too?

BEEILOVEYA
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
It's always about those Serbs and Croatians:fiery:

I don't know what the fuck does politics have to do with tennis? Jesus have mercy.

tennismaster8820
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Why is that provoking? It's not like they were doing that in Serbia! :rolleyes:

Anyway, both Serbs and Croats that live in Australia are so :retarted:
They have emphasised national pride and little understanding what happened here during the war!

The Daviator
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
'China's Nicolas Massu'

:haha:

©@®eLess
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
'China's Nicolas Massu'

:haha:

Nico Las Mas-Su :lol:

Just Do It
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Here we go agan :weirdo:
I just hope Serbian fans will come to cheer for Ana and Jelena tomorrow because i like football atmosphere at tennis courts :devil:

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'm SOOOOOOOO fed up with those Croatians and Serbs who live in Aus., USA, Ger etc. They show national "pride" over there, but why they don't come home and show their "pride"... Not brave enough. It is easy to be a nationalist somewhere else but not at home...
Well done to Jelena Jankovich, she said right things, this can only happen in Australia between "our ppl". I'm sure she has the same opinion as me, but she just didn't want to say that because didn't want to av any problems with the media.
Cro-Ser. players are really good between each others. Djokovic and Ljubicic are having the same coach, Djokovic in Zagreb had GREAT support from Croats and he said that. Jankovich is a very good friend of Kostanich-Toshich (played doubles in the past). Sprem and Dokic are VERY good friends off the court. There is a gosspi going around (not sure if its true) that Anchich and Ivanovich are in a relationship... etc etc...

So, PLEASE lets talk about sport NOT about STUPID POLITICS....

Bolt80
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM
These kids are over nationalistic morons.... how about waving the AUSTRALIAN flag..... 80% of them were born and bred in MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA. To my knowlege most of them are not capable of strining a sentence together in Serbian or Croatian.... idiots.... i would like to see them on the streets of Zagreb or Belgrade crying like little babies.

:yeah: Spot On!

*JR*
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well done to Jelena Jankovich, she said right things, this can only happen in Australia between "our ppl".
JJ has a proud history in terms of ethnic harmony in the Balkans, having teamed up in the USO junior dubs in '01 with CRO's Matea Mezak. :yeah: (While a then much more famous Jelena would soon follow her greedy drunk father's lead and campaign for a Serb ultranationalist named Seselj for President). :(

drake3781
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:23 AM
This is disgusting.

Is this all men's behavior?

LucasArg
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:34 AM
What a sad history :sad:

tennisbum79
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:42 AM
For thsoe complainign that I was unfairly singling out Australia.
And that this happens everywhere, this what Jelena Jankovic had to say.

Serbian player Jelena Jankovic, a U.S. Open semifinalist last year, said ethnic divisions had no place at the tournament, but that such incidents occurred more in Melbourne -- one of Australia's most mixed-ethnic cities -- than elsewhere on the tennis circuit.
"I think just here in Melbourne that there is this kind of problem," she said. "Anywhere else in the world it's fine.
"I don't like when they are fighting against each other and kind of booing the other player just because they are from some other country," she said. "I think that's not fair."

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus07/news/story?id=2731537

Martian Stacey
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:46 AM
This is disgusting.

Is this all men's behavior?
I haven't been to the AO, but the Serbian fans in Sydney watching Jelena were predominantely male.

Rocketta
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:57 AM
sounds quite rowdy. :eek:

hopefully, the quick attention to it will deter it from happening again.

rada
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:08 AM
well serbia has top players now and doing really well i think the cros don't like that.........

Beat
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Community leaders from both sides condemned the violence but blamed each other for the clash.
oh, the same old story. simply pathetic.