PDA

View Full Version : Monday report

Experimentee
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The schedule worked out so that there were not many players I want to see today, most of the ones I want to see play tomorrow. So today I didn't have to madly rush about trying to see everything, I spent more time sitting in each match and relaxed a bit more!

Jankovic def Wozniak

Saw half the 2nd set, they were both playing really well but Jankovic was just too good. She looks like she's carried on her recent form, her BH down the line was just awesome to watch and she ran and defended well. Wozniak played very well too and put up a good fight but its really tough to beat Jankovic in this form.

Schruff def Zheng

I watched the 2nd and 3rd sets, it was probably the worst match of the day. Just terrible tennis from both, and so much choking, it was like none of them wanted to win! Zheng was nowhere near her best, but was still in control of the match at 6-4 5-3 up. However she choked the lead and wasted 2 or 3 match points at 5-4 in the process. She also had chances at 6-5 up but didnt take them. Julia gained confidence when she saw Jie choke, and started to play better. She played well to win the TB and Jie was still in choke mode and played horribly. Schruff had the momentum in the 3rd set and quickly went to a 4-0 lead with Jie spraying balls everywhere. However Julia then choked and couldnt get a ball in, and Jie starting playing better. Jie got it back to *3-4, was up 40-0 on her serve to get it back to 4-4, then started choking at the thought levelling it. Her shots got really weak, and it went back to deuce, Schruff had her chance then but made two UEs to lose the game. Jie was 4-4 and had break points but choked them away, and Julia held. Jie was down 15-40 on her next serve and Julia had 3 match points in the game but choked them, but then on the next mp Jie made a weak double fault and gave it away :rolleyes:

Safarova def Brianti

Lucie looked like she was in great form, she hit powerfully from the baseline and made a lot of winners.

Vesnina def Medina Garrigues

I saw some of the 3rd set, Vesnina was hitting it well and was too powerful and solid for Medina. She placed her groundstrokes really well and was quite consistent. Vesnina called the trainer in the 3rd set and looked to be in pain, she got treatment on her ankle. I left after that but obviously it didnt affect her ability to win the match.

Poutchkova def Domachowska

I saw the first few games, Domachowska was hitting with more power while Poutchkova was trying to place her balls well. Both hit quite a few winners and it was close, but Domachowska couldn't take advantage of her chances and Olga could, so Olga won all the games I saw up to 3-0.

Dulko def Sun

Dulko was playing really well, if you saw her today you would think she was in good form lately. She hit a lot of winners, especially on the forehand, and was very solid. Sun played ok but just didn't play well when she had opportunities and break points.

Peer def Oprandi

I saw the 2nd set. Peer played well with some strong groundstrokes from the baseline. Oprandi was not bad, she hit it pretty hard, came to the net a lot and made some good winners, but couldn't win the important points. 2nd set was actually closer than the score because a lot of the games went to deuce.

Men's matches:

Djokovic def Massu

Novak was in his best form, and was simply awesome. He hit winners from everywhere and every shot was working for him. He had about twice as many winners as UEs. Massu didn't play his best but he couldnt have done much even if he did. It was a great atmosphere with lots of Serbs and lots of Chileans supporting their player and being very loud and rowdy.

Querrey def Acasuso

Querrey looks like a good player. He has a good serve and solid groundstrokes. I just saw the end and it looked like he was outplaying Acasuso. Jose was fighting well, and hit some rocket forehands, but couldnt win in the end. Jose refused to shake the umpire's hand, I didnt see the reason for this.

Monfils def Bracciali

This was a great match to watch. The stands were packed and there were hardly any spare seats for most of it. Both players were playing well. Bracciali was hitting the ball really hard and dominating most of the points, but made a lot of UEs too. Monfils was scrambling so well and getting everything back, doing the splits when he was stretched out wide and hitting great winners on the defense. He also served a lot of aces. In the end Bracciali made too many UEs and Gael was too solid for him. There were a lot of French supporters for Gael and Alize Cornet was there as well.

Udomchoke def Vassallo Arguello

Only saw a few games but obviously Danai was too good for him. Danai hit harder, covered the court better, counterpuched better, was more consistent and just had more weapons. Vassallo kept hitting the ball in with topspin and wasnt consistent enough. Danai had break points early and didnt convert and lost the game, and lost his serve too, but I knew he wouldnt have trouble breaking back as he was the better player and Vassallo's serve was not good. Sanchai Ratiwatana and Yen Hsun Lu came to watch for a bit after their practice.

Dlouhy def Gabashvili

Dlouhy was serving for a routine straight sets win at 5-4 in the 3rd set. He choked badly and lost the game and then the set. I left, watched two other matches, including the whole Djokovic match, came back 2 hrs later and he was again serving for the match at 5-4 in the 5th set. He choked again and it went back on serve. So poor Dlouhy ended up playing over 4 hrs when he should have won in about 2 hrs.

Lu def Greul

Yen Hsun was playing really well, probably the best I've seen him play at the AO. Everything was working for him. His serve and groundstrokes were very accurate and quite powerful and he volleyed well too, and played some excellent counterpuching points. He had no trouble winning this at all. There was a group of Taiwanese fans supporting him, they got very excited when he won.

Melzer def Karlovic

Karlovic served well as usual, there was one game which was all aces, and 3 of them were 2nd serve aces! However his groundstrokes were rubbish, I think they were even worse than usual. Even club players could beat him if there was no serve and just groundstroke rallies.

Hrbaty def Vanek

This was a terrible match. Hrbaty played awful, especially at the start when he netted every ball. Vanek was a really bad player, he had no weapons to hurt Hrbaty with, the only good things about his game were some good dropshots and lobs. Vanek served for the 1st set but choked and it went to a TB. Hrbaty was up 6-3 in the TB, but lost all the points, then had another sp later but didn't take it, and lost the set. Vanek was up 4-1 in the 2nd set, but choked the lead, then he served for the set at 5-4 but choked again. Hrbaty fought really well to get it to the TB, which he won easily. Hrbaty picked up his game as the match went on, and made less UEs, while Vanek got worse. Hrbaty won in the end, but probably would not have survived if he'd played a decent player. The usual Hrbaty cheer squad was there, it really made a difference and helped him to tough it out even when he was playing terrible.

Ferrer def Pless

Both players played well, Pless was hitting harder and in control of the points but Ferrer was just too consistent for him, and Pless made UEs at crucial stages of the match.

CooCooCachoo
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks a lot :D

Don't feel sorry for Dlouhy. When I saw him in Rosmalen, he literally practised like seven hours on a day. They couldn't get him to leave the courts :haha:

pcrtennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Did you catch Ai playing at all?

GREAT REPORT!

zhangxian22
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
thanks a lot
especially for reporting the matches which are not shown on TV!

tobi
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Thanx

gocanadago
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks, good comments for Aleks :D

Experimentee
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot :D

Don't feel sorry for Dlouhy. When I saw him in Rosmalen, he literally practised like seven hours on a day. They couldn't get him to leave the courts :haha:

No I feel sorry for him more because he is such a choker, rather than the amount of time he spent!
He choked so bad that one of his serves bounced before the net when he was serving for the match :o

Ellery
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Jie :o