PDA

View Full Version : My Post-Match Report [1r: Serena Williams vs. (27) Mara Santangelo]

starred06
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Serena Williams won 6-2 6-1.

Serena started her Australian Open 2007 campaign in a bright lime green one-piece skirt. A full house audience in Rod Laver Arena suggested that the world was anxious to know whether this former champion still has it or is a "has been". The scoreline suggested that it was a good win, but Serena did struggle at the beginning.

Match flow

Serena started the match with an ace followed by a double fault then another ace. And her shaky performance went on for the first 4 games. She did not get many first serves in, and her returns were weak. At times she looked nervous at the net. However, Mara did not jeopardize Serena's "shakiness" and wasted her chances by missing easy shots and spreeing UEs all over the place when she looked like she was in control. The two players held serve until the sixth game, when Mara lost her service game with another UE.

Then the turning point of the match came. Followed by the break were 3 solid aces from Serena who held the next game at ease. Serena looked more confident and took the first set with another break.

Mara's loss was almost inevitable when she let Serena play herself into the game. In the second set, Serena raced to a 3-0 leads by getting her return games together. Serena leveled her return game in the second set, and her baseline strokes became more solid and damaging. The fact that Mara couldn't cut down her UEs helped Serena too. Serena carried on with her momentum and closed out the second set with an ace.

Serena's form

Serena's form definitely looked better than last year. Shot-wise, she was still looking rusty at some shots, but physical-wise she had definitely got herself into a better form. Her movement was so much smoother than that of US Open last year. She did not struggle to run down shots and her heavy breathing was not seen today. At some points she almost moved like Clijsters.

We still don't have an answer to whether she is back to her champion form yet, but she showed positive changes and moving pass the 2nd round should be a safe bet. However, the real challange awaits her in the 3rd round where she could face 5th seed Nadia Petrova, and that match should tell whether returning back to the top is just a wish or a fact.

spokenword73
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the report.
Serena still has to win the second round. So does Nadia.

Dasha_
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks!

bandabou
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Thx for report...

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM
thanks for the report :wavey: 1 win @ a time ! EVERYONE has to win 7, and like Serena said, EVERYONE starts out @ 0-0! :yeah:

Ryan
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a good performance against a tough competitor, although it sounds like Mara was a little overwhelmed - which I DONT get, because she stretched Serena to 3 at Wimbledon in 05. Anyway, sounds like a solid performance from Serena, who does she play next?

drake3781
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Very well written. Appreciate it. :wavey:

spencercarlos
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Serena Williams won 6-2 6-1.

Serena started her Australian Open 2007 campaign in a bright lime green one-piece skirt. A full house audience in Rod Laver Arena suggested that the world was anxious to know whether this former champion still has it or is a "has been". The scoreline suggested that it was a good win, but Serena did struggle at the beginning.

Match flow

Serena started the match with an ace followed by a double fault then another ace. And her shaky performance went on for the first 4 games. She did not get many first serves in, and her returns were weak. At times she looked nervous at the net. However, Mara did not jeopardize Serena's "shakiness" and wasted her chances by missing easy shots and spreeing UEs all over the place when she looked like she was in control. The two players held serve until the sixth game, when Mara lost her service game with another UE.

Then the turning point of the match came. Followed by the break were 3 solid aces from Serena who held the next game at ease. Serena looked more confident and took the first set with another break.

Mara's loss was almost inevitable when she let Serena play herself into the game. In the second set, Serena raced to a 3-0 leads by getting her return games together. Serena leveled her return game in the second set, and her baseline strokes became more solid and damaging. The fact that Mara couldn't cut down her UEs helped Serena too. Serena carried on with her momentum and closed out the second set with an ace.

Serena's form

Serena's form definitely looked better than last year. Shot-wise, she was still looking rusty at some shots, but physical-wise she had definitely got herself into a better form. Her movement was so much smoother than that of US Open last year. She did not struggle to run down shots and her heavy breathing was not seen today. At some points she almost moved like Clijsters.

We still don't have an answer to whether she is back to her champion form yet, but she showed positive changes and moving pass the 2nd round should be a safe bet. However, the real challange awaits her in the 3rd round where she could face 5th seed Nadia Petrova, and that match should tell whether returning back to the top is just a wish or a fact.
Everything is all right, but still she was not close to being tested phisically in this match, her oponnent seemed to hit a lot of errors and very few winners, i would not jump too far into saying she is better than at the Usopen last year just based on this match, still very impressive win, score wise, ranking wise, and statistics wise.

sweetpeas
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks.

tobi
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Thanx!

Mina Vagante
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM

-VSR-
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks, it was a good read and I hope you had a great time. Lucky you! :p

LUXXXAS
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Serena :yeah: one down-six to go!

"Topaz"
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I just watched the match. This report is right on the mark, except of course for the reference to the 3rd round which several posters have already scolded.

Serena is a naturally corpulent girl and I don't think we'll ever see her thin again. We may have to get used to a big but agile Serena, fit within her own body shape. This match alone gave me a lot hope for the rest of the year. I saw some good runs with no unusual panting, the old good serve which has adorned her game since day one, and above all a keen desire to win. Let's hope she can remain injury-free.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM
awesome report, glad you enjoyed the match, as did i

:tOMMYbOY:
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the report! its good to see she is moving good again. thats what she will need to push the second week here in Melbourne. :D

LUIS9
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Everything is all right, but still she was not close to being tested phisically in this match, her oponnent seemed to hit a lot of errors and very few winners, i would not jump too far into saying she is better than at the Usopen last year just based on this match, still very impressive win, score wise, ranking wise, and statistics wise.

Exactly, I mean she is still athletic even when carrying a few too many extra pounds for a pro tennis player. Her forehand will always be damaging and her power game is always going to be a weapon even when it's off. Nevertheless, her serve was impeccable at times, she served very very well. I think her serving day; along with all the errors coming off the racket of Santangelo plus all the missed opportunities early on discouraged Mara.

Mara's defensive skills are pretty pathetic. :lol:

Lulu.
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM