PDA

View Full Version : Hingis/Zvonareva '06 vs. Serena/Santangelo '07 - which victory was more impressive?

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Both entered the AO unseeded and trying to comeback.
Both played a low seed in the first round of the Australian Open.
Both lost only 3 games.

Vote!

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have no clue didn't see the Hingis match.

go hingis
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Martina was ranked lower and off tour much longer. I vote for her.

Vincent
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I would say Hingis/Zvonareva '06 as Martina had been away for the tour for a longer time and Serena's game is a threat to anyone even it's at its lowest point but not so for Martina who would probably be crushed by whoever can consistenly punish the softballs and hold her serve.

:)

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Martina was ranked lower and off tour much longer. I vote for her.
Yes, and also I think she played a better match than Serena. Martina played some really beautiful points, never looked like she was going to be troubled at all, where Serena started off slow, made some errors but then after a while started to get into a rhythm :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I would say Martina. She was off the tour for 3 years (although her WTT did give her a taste of the the lower ranked players she should/would beat, and Vera was in a bit of a slump during that period). Both were impressive wins. Hopefully Serena gets a bit further in the tourney though :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yes, and also I think she played a better match than Serena. Martina played some really beautiful points, never looked like she was going to be troubled at all, where Serena started off slow, made some errors but then after a while started to get into a rhythm :)

So..they both played their games well :cool:

franny
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Definitely Martina. Serena was impressive today, but she played an opponent who was perfect for her. She played someone who is slow and who hits a relatively flat ball. Really, Serena made it look like target practice. Hingis had been off the tour longer, and she came back and just played some beautifully constructed tennis against Vera. Vera I would say is also tougher and has more game than Santangelo.

TomTennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
didnt see either matches, but because of the length of time away I would have to say Hingis.

pooh14
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
stop comparing hingis comeback with serena please.

serena never retired. hingis did.
serena just played few months back in US Open, hingis did not play for more then 3 years.

why do you'll need to compare players in every way?

barmaid
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Definitely Martina. Serena was impressive today, but she played an opponent who was perfect for her. She played someone who is slow and who hits a relatively flat ball. Really, Serena made it look like target practice. Hingis had been off the tour longer, and she came back and just played some beautifully constructed tennis against Vera. Vera I would say is also tougher and has more game than Santangelo.

Totally agree Franny, although Marti was impressive playing WTT in 2005, its a far cry from the WTA...Serena has been hanging around the last few months and hasn't accomplished too much so her victory yesterday although it was a dominate effort was one she should and did win....she, like Martina did have a tuneup tournament (Marti played two) but Serena's had less competition, both lost so they still have a lot to prove as the tournament progresses! Good Luck gals!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

dorotek23
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hingis/Zvonareva
She was back couple years out of Tour. More impressive for me :)

Mina Vagante
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
martina she was out for three years and only serena since US open and vera ias a better player than mara

sweetpeas
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
SERENA..................Serena had 2 serious operation?.

sweetpeas
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
SERENA..................Serena had 2 serious operation?.

spencercarlos
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Both entered the AO unseeded and trying to comeback.
Both played a low seed in the first round of the Australian Open.
Both lost only 3 games.

Vote!
I find no point of comparisson a player that won a grand slam just two years ago, playing off and on for more than a year and half, playing someone who has never been even in the top 20 (like Mara), to a player that retired for three and half years, facing a player that was in the top ten just a year ealier (Zvonareva in January 2005).
Had not seen Serena´s match but i find it pretty difficult to match the way Martina played that day, it was really a tennis lesson against Vera last year.

Paul.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
matina's win was more impressive without a doubt (for the reasons people in the thread have already stated). i think the two matches had a completely different feel about them. most people probably expected serena to beat mara and i for one, was expecting vera to challenge hingis more than she did.

i can see where the comparison lies - hingis and serena were both away from the tour and came back. i think it was the second tourney for both (not sure). mara and vera are both great players but were both in slumps at the time of the matches (obviously mara still is)

but...

marti was away for longer - people had little expectation of her. vera was in better form than mara is (had just reached the auckland final).

so hingis' win was definitely more impressive!!

plantman
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Serena......Comeback? :rolleyes:

DarkchildSwiss
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I would say Hingis because she came back after a pause of more than 3 years and for me it seemed as if she never was really gone. Serena only played four tournaments last year mainly due to injuries. However, my choice is Hingis because she played great tennis especially her volleys were great. I enjoyed watching her and still do.

Dementieva_Dude
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I would say Hingis' win was more impressive, for the reasons stated in this thread. Not to say Serena's win wasn't impressive, because I think it was, I just think Martina had more to prove (and prove it she did) with her win.

Derek.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hingis d. Zvonareva 6-1 6-2.

Totally dismantled her. :worship:

rrfnpump
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Two matches after Hingis beat Vera, Vera lost to Sfar... Sfar had lost 16 out of 17 matches she played around that time and this win was her second; shows in which form Vera was then :help:

I still go with Martina in this poll

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
So..they both played their games well :cool:
They did :) I just feel that Martina's was more enjoyable to watch because the quality of her play was better than Serena's.

switz
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
why the constant comparisons between the two? Serena is coming back from a serious injury layoff but i mean come on she played the US Open last year and the Aus Open as well so it's not like this is a huge comeback that we never thought we would see again.

They were both great performances but there is little to compare aside from the fact that they were both great champions without great rankings

LUIS9
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I too agree what's the point of comparing Hingis and Serena? Serena will always be a slam contender as long as she's healthy and fit, she will always have those huge weapons the serve and her athletic prowess.

Nonetheless, I thought Hingis played better from all parts of the court as opposed to Serena who's transition game seemed still a bit too rusty.

Nevertheless, Serena's serve looked exquisite as ever.

switz
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
also add that Zvonareva made the final of Auckland as well a couple of weeks before her match with Hingis

spencercarlos
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Two matches after Hingis beat Vera, Vera lost to Sfar... Sfar had lost 16 out of 17 matches she played around that time and this win was her second; shows in which form Vera was then :help:

I still go with Martina in this poll
And two matches before facing Hingis, Vera was playing the Auckland final, so what? :rolleyes:

Havok
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
IMO Serena was expected to win vs Santangelo.

Hingis was off the tour ENTIRELY for 3 years (sporadic WTT exhibition style matches don't count). Yes the Aussie Open was her 3rd event in her comeback, but you're honestly trying to compare Zvonareva to Santangelo? Vera has heaps of talent, and even with her wild fits and cranky behavior, she's heaps better than Mara will ever be.

Serena has won a Grand Slam in the last 2 years, that's at least 1 entire year shorter than Martina's entire break from the tour in general.

Martina get's my vote hands down, though it's awesome to see Serena back in action :D.