PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams DEF (27) Santangelo 6-2 6-1

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Well she played a great match except for a few parts shes back when she gets fit she will be back to Top 10 :worship: :bounce:

ViennaCalling
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Congrats Serena :)

Mara :help:

Now its obvious that Sybille played very well in Hobart ;)

Brooklyn90
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
10 aces!!! an ace to start the match and an ace to end the match :drool:

maddogz48
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Great 1st round match for Serena. Did not get broken the entire match.

Good win Serena.

Stamp Paid
Serena keeps the vultures at bay for another round.
Serena is moving better than she has since she sprained her ankle in Amelia.

Vaidisova
Nice.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
yeah she got $1000 for charity with her serves

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:56 AM
theres a HUGE diff playing in a minnie mouse event in Hobart and in playing in front of the whole world.
Mara was a frightened rabbit out there.

Serena totally destroyed her.

thomas.chung
The last ace was yummy! Welcome bac! Now go second round!

G1Player2
Serena keeps the vultures at bay for another round.
Serena is moving better than she has since she sprained her ankle in Amelia.

She is?

tae04
Go Serena! Whoop up Kremer.

Couver
Congrats Serena! :) One match at a time.

Brooklyn90
25 Winners
14 UFE

-VSR-
Good first round match from Serena.

I hope she is ready to play some more longer rallies in her second round. I am happy with her serving it looked good.

LeRoy.
Next plays Anne Kremer who beat Misa earlier today :D

!<blocparty>!
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Lolz, well that was quite a performance by the number 27 SEED. :help:

Serena's tennis surprised me... especially after she lost to Bammer just last week... WTF?! :tape: Her form is pretty much how it was in New York I think.

Our commentators were saying she's a threat for the title after the first set. LOL.

cheo23
SERENA played BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED how she BEATDOWN that Italian player

:rolleyes: :haha: @ the poster that said Santagelo has a "good serve"

NADIA BETTER WATCH OUT for SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE U!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

by the way, LOVED those ACES & her POWERFUL WINNERS!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :yeah: :bigclap:!!!!!!!!!

her footwork was very good indeed:woohoo: :woohoo:

K-Dog
Well done Rena!!! Movement looked good, serve looked good, backhand was excellent, attitude was fantastic, and forehand was okay. Footwork was a plus. She was taking those little steps to put away those winners. Very complete match.

Princeza
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
well done, she seemed really focused

GoDominique
Congrats!

Mara was much slower than Serena and overall played like a crazy fuckbitch.

gumoll
really pathetic loss :help:

TheBoiledEgg
Lolz, well that was quite a performance by the number 27 SEED. :help::rolleyes:

Serena's tennis surprised me... especially after she lost to Bammer just last week... WTF?! :tape: Her form is pretty much how it was in New York I think.

Our commentators were saying she's a thread for the title after the first set. LOL.

she'll get plenty of threads after this :lol:

Hots4Safin
After seeing the whole match I must say her movemoent is not THAT bad. I think she was nervous at the start. Great win, keep it going.

vettipooh
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: Love those aces!!!.. :rolleyes: at those who thought Mara was gonna defeat Rena!!!!! Rena just rolled over her!! :banana:

dearplastic
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
:lol: At the people who said Mara in 3... and especially 2.

Good job, Serena. Just keep it going!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
:worship::hearts::bowdown::inlove::drool::bounce:: banana:

OMG! FUCK YEAH! She's back to winning form! I just hope she can keep improving....:unsure: for WTA. It just goes to show, there was NOTHING we could have taken from the Hobart loss except the score ( :choke: ) Serena played a VERY solid match. I haven't seen her play like THIS in a LONG time. NEVER broken 1 bp saved. Except for the slow start and the laspe @ 3-0 she almost played perfectly.

And her movement? If you saw the match, you'd know...she's been WORKING! And now it's starting to show!

Santangelo's in the rear-view, Kremer's on the horizon, REV it up Ree, REV it up! :drive:

Brooklyn90
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM
her movment defently improved after the match progressed.

:tOMMYbOY:
tremendous win for her against her first test. she did beat a seed after all but this is just one match against a player that was off. kremer shouldnt pose as a threat. although the important thing is that she is back and looking nice and seems to be confident. good things are going to happen this tournament i hope! :bounce:

ioni
Mara :o and the score :rolleyes: :help:

UncleZeke
nice way to start the tourney. Takes out the #27 seed.

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM
That was a good solid match by serena, LOL at Serena's post match interview.

Il Primo!
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Not bad at all Reena!:yeah:

Stamp Paid
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Now the story is how bad Santangelo played. LOL.

Lulu.
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Great win Serena :yeah:

She has definitly been workin out she was running all over the court her movement is much better. One match at a time

Dunlop1
:help: :help: :help: :help: MARA :help: :help: :help:

What on earth was that???!!!????
She just kept giving Serena gift upon gift. She would work the point so well and have Serena on her heels only to brick the put away. Look at that volley she hit out WHEN SHE HAD THE ENTIRE OPEN COURT :tape:

And then 'feeding' the overhead right back to Serena, then she lobs you :o

I saw flashes of vintage Serena, like the 'hat trick' aces she pulled in the first set and a couple of service return winners and backhands up the line. However Santangelo just didn't show up today.

Kudos to Serena for playing really good defense and making Santangelo hit the extra ball and for moving pretty well. It's a gradual process but by the looks of her body, she is taking the right steps..

blumaroo
Very impressive win.
Santangelo was clueless. Her game is incredibly awkward and has a very small margin for error. When it goes off, it really goes off.
Serena should cruise to the third round.

Lulu.
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Oh we knew it was comming after they were all saying she would tare Serena up :lol:

rrfnpump
that was not Mara out there, it was somebody else...
I cant believe how poor Mara played, how poor she served and what I found shocking how poor she moved out there :help:

but this new experience will hopefully help her if she plays in front of a huge crowd again! Mara :hug:

Serena played well!

Andy.
Yay well done Serena she really started to play well after the first few games. Grreat Start Serena

UncleZeke
Santangelo stunk it out in Rod Laver Arena.

winone23

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hashim.
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
an excellent win n marvellous aces

supergrunt
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Serena played horrible.. Santangelo played awful... Serena is really going to need to play better... Well I take it back.. Serena served well but her ground game sucked. .

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Let's be honest. Santangelo played HORRIDLY. She made a lot of unforced errors, that had nothing to do with Serena forcing the issue. A lot of the errors she made were either in neutral rallies or when she (Mara) was actually on the offensive.

That being said Kudos to Serena for sticking in there and hanging through the tough games in the first set when it was close.

ozstyl
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yay :D :D :D

VeeReeDavJCap81
29-0 in GS first round matches :bounce: No one on the tour can claim that, whoop whoop. She played nicely, was patient, aggressive, and focused. I just hope she keeps playing after the AO, she'll only get better and inch her way back to where she belongs.

Brooklyn90
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-6.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-5.jpg

Hashim.
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM
an excellent win n i luvd da aces:worship: :bounce:

Geertvg
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Wowza. Congrats Serena!

PLP
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Yeah, I was shocked at how bad Mara was playing, I know she can be streaky but this is the 7th ( I think) Match of hers I have seen and all I can say is :help:

Still, SERENA!!! :worship:

Everything was working well tonight, there was NO WAY she was going out in the 1st rd. It was a very encouraging start all around! :yeah:

I especially loved the service game with 3 aces in a row! ;)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Serena served well but her ground game sucked. .

Not really, she had a 25/14 winner/error ratio. That is pretty darn good for Serena especially considering she's not at her best. I think that new racquet helps her consistency, although I think she loses a bit of power.

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM
That outfit is really cute, I'm just totally happy to see Serena back and playing.

GoDominique
So, in your opinion, Santangelo played well?

supergrunt
I liked the dress though... so vibrant! :D

Prizeidiot
Surprising.

Serena walked on court carrying a hand bag and I thought that she wasn't ready to play. And for about the first 6 games, it looked like everything people had said was true. Santangelo was all over Serena, even standing a metre inside the baseline on returns. But she didn't convert any of her chances and suddenly dug herself into a hole, lost serve, and Serena exploded. Hit like 3 aces next game, and was actually hitting aggressive shots on the run.

I think now that she's got going, Serena will be a very solid favourite in her next round match. And maybe even a shot at an upset against Petrova if she really plays herself in.

And by the way, Mara has the weirdest game I've ever seen. Everything is so flat, it's like wooden racket hitting. She really couldn't keep the ball in play when Serena was attacking her.

supergrunt
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Not really, she had a 25/14 winner/error ratio. That is pretty darn good for Serena especially considering she's not at her best. I think that new racquet helps her consistency, although I think she loses a bit of power.

She only made 14 errors becuase Satangelo played so poorly... am I the only one who thinks that Serena played poorly :shrug: nevermind.. she played well :rolleyes:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
So, in your opinion, Santangelo played well?

Come on now, you've been watching Serena for YEARS now. Serena's game is imposing, it causes players to not be able to play well.

LUXXXAS
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Great start Serena :yeah: :kiss: keep going :banana:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
She only made 14 errors becuase Satangelo played so poorly... am I the only one who thinks that Serena played poorly :shrug: nevermind.. she played well :rolleyes:

Compare those numbers to the probably 50 errors she had in her first round match last year against Na Li. And Li made even more errors than that. So Serena's numbers are great.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Serena played like a top ten player tonight IMO. Fabulous serving, took advantage of her openings when she had them, and she was MOVING surprisingly well. There were times when she bounded across the entire court to retrieve shots that most players wouldn't even go for. Even if she didn't make the shot, the fact she got there in time was encouraging enough. It'll be interesting to see how she does Anne Kremer though, who plays a smart game and is fairly conservative with her shot making (ie few unforced errors). She won't hit two or three errors a game like Mara did today. If Serena plays like she did tonight though, she'll be fine. Backboards like Anna Smashnova would kill for just 14 errors in 15 games.

That being said, I'm shocked that Mara's game allows her to win WTA Tournaments. There's absolutely no margin for error whatsoever and it's amazing that she can hold up for five consecutive matches hitting the ball like that. She's got to learn a plan B because she really did look like one of the pack at a challenger tournament today...

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Come on now, you've been watching Serena for YEARS now. Serena's game is imposing, it causes players to not be able to play well.
There was nothing imposing in Serena's game during the first six games. Mara was actually hitter harder than her.
Mara lost her serve with a string of errors and then completely self-destructed.

Serena served well and also hit some nice winners but that's much easier to do when your opponent is a useless hack.

KishG
Serena played a really good match! Her serve was on! In one game she hit three aces:D Her backhand was really good but what suprised me most of all was her movement which caused her defence to hold up pretty good. On one point, Serena was totally out of the court [all the way to her left], and Mara hit a drop shot which was all of the way to Serena's right, yet Serena still managed to track the ball down and hit it down the line but unfortunately the ball went out; she really should have hit it for a winner!

Her movement really has suprised me! I mean, if she can play that well when she's unfit, then you can really see how good she once was and can still be.

Mara didn't have any say in the match. Serena out-muscled her in so many rallies and Mara's unforced errors didn't help things. Even if she didn't make any unforced errors Serena would have won by the same scoreline.

Mara started off welll but IMHO, Serena upped her game which was too much for Mara.

And :rolleyes: Peter Flemming who said you'd need something special to move Serena around the court [I think he said a truck]. And :devil: @ the haters who said Serena would lose in three sets.

Andy.
I really liked the outfit

starin

Yeah this is a good result. Considering that many "experts" picked Mara to win..I'd say Serena did a great job!! :bounce: As for people saying Mara played badly....well she did...but so did Serena. Serena had a 1st Serve avg speed of about 98 mph :confused: (which is really slow for her). Also, Serena had a 1st serve % of 48%. That's pretty bad...and its not like Mara just made millions of errors and that's how Serena won. Serena hit 25 winners. That's a lot. So I'd say GOOD WIN FOR SERENA !!!:bounce:

PLP
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Surprising.

Serena walked on court carrying a hand bag and I thought that she wasn't ready to play. And for about the first 6 games, it looked like everything people had said was true. Santangelo was all over Serena, even standing a metre inside the baseline on returns. But she didn't convert any of her chances and suddenly dug herself into a hole, lost serve, and Serena exploded. Hit like 3 aces next game, and was actually hitting aggressive shots on the run.

I think now that she's got going, Serena will be a very solid favourite in her next round match. And maybe even a shot at an upset against Petrova if she really plays herself in.

And by the way, Mara has the weirdest game I've ever seen. Everything is so flat, it's like wooden racket hitting. She really couldn't keep the ball in play when Serena was attacking her.

Agreed! Now that she has a bit of confidence and momentum, she really has a shot at making the 2nd week IMO> The Petrova match, if it happens could be awesome! :worship:

supergrunt
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Her fastest groundstoke was like 78 mph...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
There was nothing imposing in Serena's game during the first six games. Mara was actually hitter harder than her.
Mara lost her serve with a string of errors and then completely self-destructed.

Serena served well and also hit some nice winners but that's much easier to do when your opponent is a useless hack.

Again, a player like Serena can make a player appear to be a useless hack. Obviously Santangelo isn't or she wouldn't be in the top 30.

Avid Merrion
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
:D woohoo, well done Serena!! a good opening match :yeah:
good luck in round 2! :hug:

KishG
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Her fastest groundstoke was like 78 mph...

I can see why everyone finds you annoying! A good shot is not defined by how much power you put on it! Serena could have easily hit the ball as hard as she could to hit the winners, but she just made sure she actually made the winner!

And from the match she didn't have to hit the ball as hard as she could on every stroke. She got the job done and thats the most important.

Why put it more energy than is needed on every shot?

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Again, a player like Serena can make a player appear to be a useless hack. Obviously Santangelo isn't or she wouldn't be in the top 30.
Top 30 doesn't mean much in women's tennis.

Serena has that ability, however Santangelo did most of the work herself today.

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM

That was not true for most of this match. Case in point, the volley she hit wide. it was off a ball above net level (easy volley), it was a floater (no pace), Serena had NO HOPE of getting to it if she placed it ANYWHERE in the ad court, instead she pops it up and hits it long.

Most of Mara's errors came from Mara trying to be offensive and paint the lines. She hit so many forehand up the line and inside out forehands wide.

Serena did not play an imposing game today. She hit the ball with a lot of topspin and for most of the game, Mara was hitting harder than Serena.

Santangelo gifted a lot of points to Serena. In fact, if Santangelo was on form tonight, when it was really close in the early stages of the first set, when Serena had that really long game with a number of dueces, she would have broken and run with it.

I'm not surprised Bammer beat Serena in Hobart. Serena gained a lot of confidence after Santangelo showed her she wasn't going to take it.

kittyking
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Im not sure why Santangelo is ranked so high :confused: I gotta admit this is the first time ive seen Santangelo play on tv in like over a year so it could have just been one bad night for her.

I wasnt all that impressed by Serena though either, she had the occasional game where she showed the warrior that used to dominate the sport but for a large part of the game she seemed to remind me of someone whose ranked just outside the top 100 (not bad, just not top 20)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM
AND NOW! Another exciting episode of Crow and Congratulations
hosted by: MrSerenaWilliams

Ok, ok, great win Serena...so NOW, let's give out some crow. Some of these posters are MIGHTY hungry

Mara in 3 sets.

Serena lost to Bammer in Hobart - really surpisingly loss :) Mara in 3

Santangelo in three sets.

Mara :)

Santangelo, 6-2 4-6 7-5

Santangelo in 3

Mara in 3 sets !

Mara in 3 sets

Mara Santangelo 6-2 4-6 6-4

Mara-6-2,3-6,6-4

i think she will lose to mara in 3 tough sets with a first-ruund exit

The advantage goes to Mara, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3

match's outcome depends on Mara: she should win

so i say mara in two sets
Mara, more easily than one would expect.
Mara in 2

lastly in the crow department, :sad:
Most of you know I really like Serena, but those of you who say Serena will win easily are seriously dellusional. :hug: Our girl did it! Told'ya :kiss::hearts::inlove::hug::smooch:http://yelims3.free.fr/Gay/Gay_13.gifhttp://yelims3.free.fr/Gay/Gay_11.gifhttp://yelims3.free.fr/Gay/Gay_Amour_garcons.gif

....and now for the CONGRATULATIONS! :clap2::bounce::wavey::eek::yeah:
Serena 6-2 6-1
S. Williams 6-1, 6-2

GREAT job guys even I didn't think she'd do THIS well :yeah:

That's all for today..tune in next time for another episode of Crow and Congratulations! :yeah: Remember...think twice before you 2nd guess Serena, you just might be eating crow in the end.

GOODNIGHT EVERYONE :wavey:

VeeReeDavJCap81

Serena has that ability, however Santangelo did most of the work herself today.

Funny how you're making excuses for Santangelo, but you're quick to make judgement about Venus or Serena if they lose a match and say the played badly.

Dunlop1
That being said, I'm shocked that Mara's game allows her to win WTA Tournaments. There's absolutely no margin for error whatsoever and it's amazing that she can hold up for five consecutive matches hitting the ball like that. She's got to learn a plan B because she really did look like one of the pack at a challenger tournament today...

You have to see Mara when she is playing on form. I honestly don't know who showed up today.
She takes the ball early, hit is very flat, deals with pace very well and crafts points well. She comes to net and is a good volleyer.

Hardiansf
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Good job Rena. 1 by 1, a match after a match. YOU CAN DO IT!

kittyking
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Are you one of those people who said that you could beat all players ranked 50-100 :lol:

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Don't be so hard on Mara. She is not a useless hack. She's a very good player who had a really off day. it happens to everyone.

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Are you one of those people who said that you could beat all players ranked 50-100 :lol:
No.

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Funny how you're making excuses for Santangelo, but you're quick to make judgement about Venus or Serena if they lose a match and say the played badly.
Nonsense.

Where am I making excuses? Mara played like shit. Is that an excuse?

KishG
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Nonsense.

Honestly, it sounds as if you're bitter that Mara lost and or/Serena won. You've made your point "mara played badly balh blah blah blah" now move on.

Slumpsova
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
perfect tennis from Serena and pathetic tennis from Santangelo :help:
BTW Serena was so great that i think if she can keep this level, she can reach the quarters :hearts:

KishG
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM
You have to see Mara when she is playing on form. I honestly don't know who showed up today.
She takes the ball early, hit is very flat, deals with pace very well and crafts points well. She comes to net and is a good volleyer.

I know how well Mara plays and the things you described above, I saw with her match against Serena at Wimbledon. Serena still would have won no matter how good Mara was playing or how bad Serena was.

Brooklyn90
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-7.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-8.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-9.jpg

kittyking
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
No.

Didnt you just devalue how good tennis players outside the top 30 are though? Surely miss Domi must be able to beat them then ;) :rolleyes:

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I know how well Mara plays and the things you described above, I saw with her match against Serena at Wimbledon. Serena still would have won no matter how good Mara was playing or how bad Serena was.

I don't know what kind of logic you used to reach that conclusion. Let's not forget the calibre of players that Serena has lost to...

Shimizu Amon
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
This is an amazing outcome. Hope she can hold this form. Go Serena!

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Contrary to posts about summing the match up as Mara simply having a bad day, Serena has some pretty nice stats to suggest she played a rather good match:

-10 Aces to 3 Double Faults
-25 Winners to 14 Unforced Errors
-Won 88% of First Serves
-Won over 50% of Second Serves
-Was 80% on breakpoint Conversions
-Won 73% of her net approaches

What more can anyone ask of her, good God, thatís impressive anyway you slice it!! For those who donít think she was impressive, go back and watch- or better yet study the stats.

KishG
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I don't know what kind of logic you used to reach that conclusion. Let's not forget the calibre of players that Serena has lost to...

Serena played even worse at Wimbeldon 2005 against Mara and at that time Mara was hitting winner after winner and playing her best. That's how.

Have you tried those new sour grape sweets?

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Im not sure why Santangelo is ranked so high :confused: I gotta admit this is the first time ive seen Santangelo play on tv in like over a year so it could have just been one bad night for her.

I wasnt all that impressed by Serena though either, she had the occasional game where she showed the warrior that used to dominate the sport but for a large part of the game she seemed to remind me of someone whose ranked just outside the top 100 (not bad, just not top 20)

Someone who is ranked outside the top 100??? Were you watching the match blind folded??? :cool:

_Cell-chuk
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I really like the way Serena played today.
Keep the fighting spirit Serena.
Her physique is better than I expected.
If she gets into even a better shape and starts to play tournaments regularly, then everyone should just watch out.

kittyking
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Someone who is ranked outside the top 100??? Were you watching the match blind folded??? :cool:

Clearly I was one of the few people here who actually watched the game

Note: I didnt say for all the match (there was about 4 or 5 games that she showed top 5 talent in)

A typical outside top 100 shot was the one where Serena was right at the net, had the whole field (mara had pretty much given up on it) and guess where Serena hit/volleyed it.......................
..........................................out :tape:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Great Win Serena... Those photos did u no justice... U looked pretty good on T.V.. and that is even when it adds 10 lbs...

Anyway, back to the tennis.... She did play well, but for most of the first set.. Mara was hitting the ball harder :unsure: :rolleyes: :eek: Now that was hard for me 2 see.. I mean this is SERENA WILLIAMS.. one of the hardest hitters out there... It seemed like she played with too much topspin sometimes.. not going for enough.. BUT, she did kinda get it together and started dictating....

She made 25 winners and only 14 errors :eek: thats AMAZINGLY Good for her :aparty: :bounce:

Now Kremer should be a cakewalk ;) Like Pin last year in second round :haha:

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Contrary to posts about summing the match up as Mara simply having a bad day, Serena has some pretty nice stats to suggest she played a rather good match:

-10 Aces to 3 Double Faults
-25 Winners to 14 Unforced Errors
-Won 88% of First Serves
-Won over 50% of Second Serves
-Was 80% on breakpoint Conversions
-Won 73% of her net approaches

What more can anyone ask of her, good God, thatís impressive anyway you slice it!! For those who donít think she was impressive, go back and watch- or better yet study the stats.

Why didn't you post Mara's abyssmal stats??
Besides there are a lot of things stats don't tell you. The first set was MUCH closer than the score indicates. That's because, the amount of time spent from 0-0 till the first break at 3-2 was longer than from 3-2 to 6-2. And in the former part, it was Serena who was under pressure for the most part having long service games and duece games.

Yes she hit 10 aces, but Ljubicic hit 28 aces to Mardy Fishes 11 (or 14) and Ljubo was upset by Fish in the first round. See what I mean about stats.

Serena hit her aces at the RIGHT times. Major kudos to her on that. That is vintage Serena, however in the first set she went for that 1st serve up the T so many times and didn't make it. Her first serve percentage in that set was BAD. If Santangelo was on form, it would have been a different story. However that is just conjecture.

Congrats to Serena on her win. I wish her another win in her 2nd rd match.

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Note: I didnt say for all the match (there was about 4 or 5 games that she showed top 5 talent in)

A typical outside top 100 shot was the one where Serena was right at the net, had the whole field (mara had pretty much given up on it) and guess where Serena hit/volleyed it.......................

ALL players make bogus mistakes like that in matches. I can see someone miss an easy shot in any given tennis match.

*Jean*
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Mara :sad:

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
beginning of the match could of also been rust

remember she played like 2-3 matches in Hobart

and before that it was New York

so she has not played a lot in the last 6 months

next I want to see how she goes at 5-4 in 3rd set or something :)

Dunlop1
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Serena played even worse at Wimbeldon 2005 against Mara and at that time Mara was hitting winner after winner and playing her best. That's how.

Have you tried those new sour grape sweets?

So because of that Mara will lose to Serena regardless of how bad Serena plays and how well Mara does :confused:

LOL at the sour grapes comment. Good one. I'm not bitter at all fwiw. I just know that from the matches I've seen Mara play, she just didn't bring it today.

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Great Win Serena... Those photos did u no justice... U looked pretty good on T.V.. and that is even when it adds 10 lbs...

Anyway, back to the tennis.... She did play well, but for most of the first set.. Mara was hitting the ball harder :unsure: :rolleyes: :eek: Now that was hard for me 2 see.. I mean this is SERENA WILLIAMS.. one of the hardest hitters out there... It seemed like she played with too much topspin sometimes.. not going for enough.. BUT, she did kinda get it together and started dictating....

She made 25 winners and only 14 errors :eek: thats AMAZINGLY Good for her :aparty: :bounce:

Now Kremer should be a cakewalk ;) Like Pin last year in second round :haha:

I hear ya, but it makes no sense for Serena to pound the ball at this point. Right now she needs to focus on her game and play clean matches. She will get to the point where she will need to wack the life out of the ball, but she didn't need to do it tonight.

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM

did u see the one in the first set where Santangelo had the whole court and hit the shot wide. I mean no way would Serena of got to it :tape:

KishG
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Actually that was Mara. The only time Serena missed a volley was when there was a spcae to hit the volley into! Not the whole court like Mara. Even top players make those mistakes and it counts for an unforced error. Every single player, no matter how good they are, no matter how many matches they have played makes unforced errors like the one you highlighted above. With Serena it was probably rustiness.

franny
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Good win for Serena. I really hope she does well. I'm not a fan, but American tennis needs her. Overall, I don't really want to gauge her level on just one match. Santangelo really never settled into the match. She was just going for shot after shot and really did not have much luck involving Serena in any sort of a serious rally. That girl is SLOW.

But great clean hitting from Serena. And very impressed with the serve as well. She keeps up this level, and she is a danger to Petrova. Jankovic would be a tough opponent for her, as she can really grind with Serena and absorb her power. I'm just sad that she isn't in Maria's section of the draw. I think it'd be really interesting to see how Serena's current game matches up with someone who hits as hard and as clean.

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Why didn't you post Mara's abyssmal stats??
Besides there are a lot of things stats don't tell you. The first set was MUCH closer than the score indicates. That's because, the amount of time spent from 0-0 till the first break at 3-2 was longer than from 3-2 to 6-2. And in the former part, it was Serena who was under pressure for the most part having long service games and duece games.

OK...

Serena 10 Aces / Santagello 1 Ace (Serena returned better)
Serena 3 DFs/ 4 DFs
Serena's winners 25 / Santangello 6 (Good defending by Serena)
Serena won 88% of her first serves / Santangello 58%
Serena won 24 of 46 return service points / Santangello 17 of 55
Serena had an 80% break point conversion / Santangello 0%
Total points won for Serena 62 / 39 for Santangello

Anyone remotely familiar with tennis knows that usually the first few games aren't indictive of match play. Players are dealing with nerves and feeling one another out. The first few games are when the top players are most likely to be broken. How many times do you see Juju lose her first serve only to come roaring back- that can be said of most of the top players. It's usally par for the course. Serena was advantageous and smartly built on her momentum, which is what top players do.

Those not impressed please explain to me how much more different the stats in a Clijsters or Sharapova routine win will different than these stats. When the scoreline is 6-2,6-1 one players usually has much better stats- when is this not the case?

Anywho, congrats to Serena in playing a SOLID first round match!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-7.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-8.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/pacomexican/full-9.jpg

LOOKIN' GOOD! :yeah::hearts:

And If you watched the match, Michelle Wie was in Serena's box, and said, she'd love to get some tips about being a teen sensation :hug::awww: How cute!

Nike is doing great! Tiger/Roger Michelle/Serena :bounce: Keep the great pairing up! I can see the ad campaigns now :bounce:

Andy.
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
LOOKIN' GOOD! :yeah::hearts:

And If you watched the match, Michelle Wie was in Serena's box, and said, she'd love to get some tips about being a teen sensation :hug::awww: How cute!

Nike is doing great! Tiger/Roger Michelle/Serena :bounce: Keep the great pairing up! I can see the ad campaigns now :bounce:

I was wondering if that was her. You can add Masha/Lebron to that list too

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Mara, next time, don't show up walking on to the court as if you're the boss. :smash: :o

So you noticed that too, with that tacky ass jacket on like she was the shit! :rolleyes: HAHAHA got that shit HANDED to her :lol: by the #81 in the world :lol: oh Mara, Mara, Mara :lol:

DarkchildSwiss
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
well done. please win against kremer and then a match against Nadia is possible. Nadia should really take care of Serena because she will climb up the rankings fast. good luck.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Unfortunately, that's her game. She'll never play a match w/ 0 unforced. The fact that she had a postivive differential (almost +10, off the top of my head, if not better) says that she's working in cleaning up her game. Some of those serve returns were :eek: I mean, you're gonna miss some of those, but she made a LOT of them. The only real UE I had an issue with was the one early in the match were she had the net sitter and pushed it long, but those will get better w/ time. :yeah: Good match for SURE

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, I was wrong for calling you a bitch ass poster the otehr day, but you've got to see the inconsistencies in your posts. You get on Serena and then post the SAME thing you get on her about. Calling her arrogant, when your posts imply the same sentiments.
Nonsense.

I played @ 10% today...:rolleyes: sound familiar?

There was nothing imposing in Serena's game
She really didn't to much to me today :rolleyes:

She played well, but I mean I basically beat myself :rolleyes:

Top 30 doesn't mean much in women's tennis.:o Tell that to the players that get the bonuses @ the end of the year because they make top 30 :rolleyes:

See....just take a deep breath....Just because Serena is serious about kicking ass again doesn't mean that you're not a good person, but come on, give her a break. :awww:

Sportfan
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Great job by Serena. Good luck to her in the next round.

Chance
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
It's good to see Serena back on court!!!! Serena's serve was great! Her improvement was better than last year's AO but, I think Rena may not be as fit as she was at US.

Nevertheless even though Serena is rusty, she can still do some damage.

It's good to see her back!!!:bounce:

Munich
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
now Iam scared for Nadia :scared: :help:

bandabou
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
As long as she keeps that streak of never losing 1st round...she did that so from now on, just a match at the time.

*Jool*
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Great ! :)

Marcell
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Signs of life from Serena in straight-sets winBy Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com

MELBOURNE, Australia -- I don't think anyone has built up a ton of confidence yet, but what a big opening match for Serena Williams. Even though it was against a low seed (No. 27 Mara Santangelo), Williams did it in emphatic style, grabbing the match from 2-all in the first set. Serena broke Santangelo to go up 3-2 and then served three aces in a row to take a 4-2 lead and never looked back. After the break of serve and three aces in a row the match was never contested.

Ten aces in a 6-2, 6-1 match is impressive, and Serena looked like she was moving pretty well; although, let's face it, she still is not in the best shape. Still, considering she played four tournaments last year and all the rust, I thought Serena looked great. Mind you, it's the first major of the year and everybody is a little rusty.

Serena's decision to play Hobart last week was great move. She shook off some of the rust there because she's not in her best condition and hasn't played that many matches. Right now, Serena has to get every advantage and playing last week was a great decision.

For the tournament's sake and for U.S. women's tennis, Serena Williams is crucial -- more for U.S. women's tennis -- because she's young enough and still good enough that she can become a factor again. And it could happen at the end of these two weeks. Then again, she could also lose to Anne Kremer in the second round.

Serena has never had a first-round loss at a Grand Slam and she showed some signs that there's a possibility for her to be a factor quickly. She's won tournaments out of the blue before: she won her first major (1999 U.S. Open) and last major ('05 Australian) out of the blue. You can't assume anything with her, especially if it gets hot here and if she gets involved in some tough matches. You have to have a fitness level and level of commitment that is just so very high. She needs to prove that to me before I'm a total believer.

Just Do It
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
yay go Serena :woohoo:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
far from the OBIT she practically gave her @ the start. The commentators were HARSH! Even FOWLER was getting on her. They said "50-50 at best" :rolleyes: and they're EXPERTS? :scratch: Oh well....I love when she proves the doubters wrong

Selah
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Congrats to Serena but it's only one match to someone who really isn't a formidable opponent despite what the serena haters said a few days ago :o

TomTennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Great win Rena! :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
IMPRESSIVE WIN SERENA! :kiss: :worship: She should beat ANNE KREMER in str8 sets. BUT, Anne should make her hit ALLOT of balls, which is what she needs at the moment. It should be a nice match to get her fully charged up for this tourney. I say 6-3, 6-3 for Serena. =)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
congrats Serena :hug:

good luck in the next round

TS
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I still think Nadia will take her out in the third round, but congrats to Serena on a commanding win :)

Highlandman
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Serena :woohoo: - very good win:hearts: :worship: , now against Kremer, who shouldnt be a problem;)

40-0
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
dang that mara sucked, i can play better.
Congrats Serena, even tho i still need to see someone putting some more pressure. Good Movement today. And great service day. She looked like the Us Open fit to me

dybbuk
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
:woohoo: hopefully she can string together a good run...

TrixieTrader
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I still think Nadia will take her out in the third round, but congrats to Serena on a commanding win :)

We can not take any round for granted so even getting past Kremer is not guaranteed. These days its all about which Serena shows up. Suffice to say we have to take it one match at a time.

If they both make it there, even in Serena's current state, Nadia is not significantly faster than her so I would not discount her chances due to a lack of speed and fitness. I saw Nadia at the Hopman cup and she is also sporting a roll of tummy and looks at leat 15lbs heavier than she was when she won all those clay tournaments last year.

If Serena can keep serving well, she should be able to hold her own I would say through to Jankovic. Comparing her form and figure to last week at Hobart, she already looks about 5lbs lighter and was getting to some of those drop shots even though still a split second too late. That will keep improving cause she will need that extra speed if she gets to Jankovic.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM
anyone know if it's uploaded?

The Dawntreader
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Serena you total leg-end!:bounce: :worship: :D

Santangelo was a tough draw, but in usually serena style ' Move aside bitch'

Love it:lol: :hug:

Stats looks great, 10 aces, 26 winners, peak serve of 196 kph. All looking good for Serena. And she looks great:D

Pilongo
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Dissapointing Mara, with a lot of big mistakes. I expected a bit more.
Anyways bad luck at the draw.
Congrats to Serena, though i don't see her winning the slam

RenaSlam.
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Nice opening round win, Serena! :bounce:

Well played!

dreamgoddess099
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I just love the double standard here. How is it that Mara can be stick thin and slow as hell, but no one mention that she needs to work on her fitness to be able to play better defense? But people haven't stopped mentioning Serena's fitness when she was moving around the court much better than Mara. Being thin does not mean you are anymore fit than someone carrying a extra few pounds. Just goes to show you how people really only care about thinness, not fitness.

volta
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM
alright now Rena :banana: :worship:

someone upload the match plox :sad:

Dexter
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Congrats Serena.

Mara :sad: :hug:

Paneru
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Surprised....NOT! ;)

It's how "they" always are!
Yet, have the nerve to talk about
what Serena will and won't do. :lol:

Let 'em stew in their crap!

Great work by Rena! :kiss:

That dress.... :hearts:

Pussycat
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Great match Serena

nhissan
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Serena is back, great win

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Beat 'em down and hang 'em high Serena :kiss:. Tough start there, but I'm just really glad you got through it and beat her like she stole something :worship: :kiss: :hearts:. One match at a time honey. One match at a time.

The Daviator
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
:haha: at those who thought Serena would lose :tape:

Serena, well done :worship:

Craigy
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM
:banana: I knew she'd win, but not that easy :eek: :woohoo:

carling
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Way to go, Serena!!!!!!!!!

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Good play from Serena. Good luck with the next opponent.

Williams-forever
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
So happy for this result!! :rocker2: Serena can only get better from here, thats for sure:D It was nice finally watching you on tv again...
This is my message to the disbelievers: :nerner:

Adaora
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
what a relief! one match down.
Great job Serena!

Kenny
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Well heck who knew Serena had a tattoo??

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/6e/full.getty-tennis-open-aus-williams_6_02_32_am.jpg

silverwhite
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Yes. Clearly, the top players NEVER hit that type of shots. :weirdo:

silverwhite
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I think we all can tell that Serena is far from her best. The two things that stuck out were her footwork and her FH (it used to be so much better :sad: ). She'll need to do a lot of work to keep on improving but a win is a win and it should do her confidence some good. One positive though was that the desire seemed to be there. :yeah:

Mina Vagante
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
hell yea, cmon serena, 10 aces!:bounce: LOVES IT, every article i read it says that serena is now a title threat- that shut lots of people up. lets do the same in round 2 serena:bounce: loved THAT backhand down the line. sooo happy

AlonsoFx
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Some BH winners from Serena were really great :D

Congrats to her :hug: - but not to its fans :ras:

Vut
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
good match!

Craigy
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Well heck who knew Serena had a tattoo??

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/6e/full.getty-tennis-open-aus-williams_6_02_32_am.jpg

Most Serena fans ;) It first appeared when she was with Lil' Kim :unsure: :lol:

jazar
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
that was a thrashing, but there will be tougher tests to come

sweetpeas
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Good job my Serena.One match at a time!.Wish you luck,have fun.

Kenny
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Did everyone else know about her tattoo or something? I'd never heard she had one..

??

ghost world
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
When did this come on?? Are they replaying??

serenafan08
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Good start from Serena. The more she plays, the better and fitter she'll get. It's as simple as that.

mike/topgun
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:49 PM
nice!

Marcell
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Did everyone else know about her tattoo or something? I'd never heard she had one..

??

Her fans have known this for a while.

Viktymise
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Well done Serena, sounds like she played really well :yeah:

vogus
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
that's a thrashing and a statement against a pretty good player. Serena might not have been showing her best cards in Hobart. I think this scoreline has to give the top players a bit of pause.

Petrova had better be ready for a war in 3R.

-Makiri-
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Mara :sad:

raquel
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well done Serena! :D :bounce: :woohoo:

Very convincing win

:inlove:
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
*death*
Well done on a great match Serena. :angel: :kiss: :hearts: Thank God! Petrova-Serena 3r could be :drool:
Don't ruin it and lose to Kremer. ;) :help:

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
A very convincing win, Serena! :yeah::D

hotandspicey
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Let's hope she keeps this form up and gets thru Anne, and then on to petrova. Nice job, Rena! :woohoo: :bounce: :banana: :hearts:

ivpasqua88
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
it really was an awful match, full of unforced errors, and i never saw mara playing that bad!!!! serena didn't really do anything, everytime she was moving she looked tired and slow, totally not the serena of two years ago! who says that it was a great match for serena just didn't watch it at the tv! i don't think that serena will go that far at all unfortunately! she has to lose weight!!!!!!!!!!!!

LindsayRulz
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Good Job Serena! :)

LDF
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Great opening match Serena :bounce:

Now beat Anne to set up a clash with Nadia! :drool:

Vacant
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
:yeah:

Much better scoreline than what she was producing last week. :woohoo:

disco_rage
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Well done Serena, improved performance.. tho Santangelo was awful. Nice to see Serena back!

Darop.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
SERENA played BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED how she BEATDOWN that Italian player

:rolleyes: :haha: @ the poster that said Santagelo has a "good serve"

NADIA BETTER WATCH OUT for SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE U!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

by the way, LOVED those ACES & her POWERFUL WINNERS!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :yeah: :bigclap:!!!!!!!!!

her footwork was very good indeed:woohoo: :woohoo:

:haha: :weirdo:

Laughing at people who are simply clueless about tennis what so ever is great fun :)

Haute
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
It wasn't the best match, but it definitely was encouraging to see Serena playing this kind of tennis. Her lateral movement looked so much better than what we had seen from her lately. And I was impressed with her running forehand winners. :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Most Serena fans ;) It first appeared when she was with Lil' Kim :unsure: :lol:
She had it before that :lol:

Darop.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I just love the double standard here. How is it that Mara can be stick thin and slow as hell, but no one mention that she needs to work on her fitness to be able to play better defense? But people haven't stopped mentioning Serena's fitness when she was moving around the court much better than Mara. Being thin does not mean you are anymore fit than someone carrying a extra few pounds. Just goes to show you how people really only care about thinness, not fitness.

Bazzillionth time i've said this:

Mara has a deformed foot since she was born and no matter how hard she tries and trains, she'll NEVER be able to move quickly around the court.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
:haha: :weirdo:

Laughing at people who are simply clueless about tennis what so ever is great fun :)

Does that include you? ;)

dreamgoddess099
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
it really was an awful match, full of unforced errors, and i never saw mara playing that bad!!!!
Mara only made 23 ufes, hell Serena's made 80 ufes and still won matches. If Serena had only made 23 ufes we'd still be saying she played a clean match. Not to mention she served better than Serena and was better at net. Her problem was that she was all offense and no defense. True she made 9 more errors than Serena (which isn't much more), but Serena also made 9 more aces and 19 more winners altogether. Even in Serena's present less than best shape, she still out hustled a 27 seeded player who some were picking to upset her. I'd say that's an improvement from last week.

serena didn't really do anything, everytime she was moving she looked tired and slow, totally not the serena of two years ago!
Serena hit 10 aces and 25 winners compared to Mara's 1 ace and 6 winners, so she must have done something right.

who says that it was a great match for serena just didn't watch it at the tv! Who ever says it was a bad match for Serena just doesn't know how she plays.

i don't think that serena will go that far at all unfortunately! she has to lose weight!!!!!!!!!!!!
She got further than Mara, guess that means Mara needs to gain some weight.

Darop.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Does that include you? ;)

No dear.

People who just assume a player "sucks" because of one bad showing.

NO PLAYERS IN THE TOP 1000 SUCK. Face it.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Very good performance, but the future is still a question mark. Hopefully Serena will be able to keep this level, because she will beat Kremer and could give Petrova some trouble.

Let's go Serena, keep it up girl...

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
No dear.

I never said she sucks. A lot of people that will never beat Serena don't suck. :p (Dokic, Dementieva, Myskina, etc.)

chris whiteside
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Way to go Serena. Let's hope you can keep it up.

The game badly needs you.

tobi
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Congrats Serena! Loved her outfit btw :lol:

Ouch Mara :help:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
No dear.

I agree. These players are the best in a world filled with millions of women/girls who would kill to be on tour but simply aren't good enough. To be 1000 out of about 10 million isn't a bad thing.

Darop.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I never said she sucks. A lot of people that will never beat Serena don't suck. :p (Dokic, Dementieva, Myskina, etc.)

I know, I wasn't talking specifically to you :p

I was speaking to Cloe the n00b who loves to write annoying crap in an annoying font, like

I LOVE THOSE HARD ACES AND WINNERS!!!!!!1111111

Diesel
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Dissapointing Mara, with a lot of big mistakes. I expected a bit more.
Anyways bad luck at the draw.
Congrats to Serena, though i don't see her winning the slam

Newsflash -- it's not about Serena winning the tournament. It's about her taking each point as it comes and one match at a time :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
:secret: newsflash, the haters need something negative to say about Serena, or else, in their silence, they'll realize that she's hungry to regain glory lost and their faves are in for it if she does ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I know, I wasn't talking specifically to you :p

I was speaking to Cloe the n00b who loves to write annoying crap in an annoying font, like

I LOVE THOSE HARD ACES AND WINNERS!!!!!!1111111
:haha: ok, I was just checking :armed: :lol:

Diesel
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:46 PM
:secret: newsflash, the haters need something negative to say about Serena, or else, in their silence, they'll realize that she's hungry to regain glory lost and their faves are in for it if she does ;)

Are you sure it wasn't Serena just being heartily welcomed :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
:lol: yeah, yeah, you're right. WHAT was I thinking :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Bazzillionth time i've said this:

Mara has a deformed foot since she was born and no matter how hard she tries and trains, she'll NEVER be able to move quickly around the court.

She moved well enough to get herself ranked 31 in the world. There are people with two perfectly formed feet who can't do that. I don't think she's as limited as you make her seem, I'm sure she doesn't think she's that limited either or else she wouldn't have bothered to play a sport that is about 80% running.

darrinbaker00
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Please don't use "Serena" and "hungry" in the same sentence in my presence. That's like giving a sex addict free passes to a strip club. ;)

darrinbaker00
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
:confused: Do you think you're funny? Because you're really not :awww: It seems as if you try to be funny. And if that's the case, I suggest you stop :awww: :hug:
No.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Please don't use "Serena" and "hungry" in the same sentence in my presence. That's like giving a sex addict free passes to a strip club. ;)
Well she's gonna take a bit out of the tour, that's for damn sure if she keeps improving and playing matches like these :yeah:

serenafann
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Keep it going Serena,your fans are rooting for you.

darrinbaker00
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Well she's gonna take a bit out of the tour, that's for damn sure if she keeps improving and playing matches like these :yeah:
In her current condition, Serena needs to keep doing what she did last night: win as many cheap points on her serve as possible. Santangelo also gave Serena a lot of free points last night, which surprised me. I don't see Anne Kremer giving our girl any trouble, but you just never know. The ESPN commentators mentioned that Serena has done a lot of 1-on-2 hitting since she's been in Melbourne, which I know to be a good drill for conditioning and court coverage. Serena still has a long way to go, but it looks to me like she's finally, FINALLY, on the right track this time.

darrinbaker00
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
By the way, everybody, ESPN2 is replaying the match right now. ;)

SoClose
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Well done Serena!:woohoo:

davidmario
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM

I wasn't impressed by her either. Her footwork was bad and her thighs are still HUGE.

All I can say is respect to Serena for crushing the 27 seed with that body:worship:

GogoGirl
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hey All,

I don't think Serena looked fat at all. Surely, some of us noticed the video of her practicing before the match that they're showing on ESPN2 now. She looked down right slim. Her fitness is the question - and upon her getting match tough - it will be back.

She played a solid match on yesterday - and she should be pleased. Of course - the matches will be tougher as she moves the thru the draw - and that's if she does. I hope she does.

And as it pertains to her tugging on her outfit - she has done that before and even years ago. Nicole was just a tugging on hers last week. I love her outfit. It is the bomb.

"COME ON SERENA" "DIG DEEP - GIRLFRIEND" "YOU CAN DO IT"

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I wasn't impressed by her either. Her footwork was bad and her thighs are still HUGE.

All I can say is respect to Serena for crushing the 27 seed with that body:worship:
did you see the match? Her footwork was DRASTICALLY improved. Those little steps she took on some of those winners were :drool::hearts:

I realize that you're expecting more, but hey, 1 match at a time buddy :hug:

davidmario
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
did you see the match? Her footwork was DRASTICALLY improved. Those little steps she took on some of those winners were :drool::hearts:

I realize that you're expecting more, but hey, 1 match at a time buddy :hug:

when she was on the run, she had great passing shots. but when there was a baseline rally, many of her shots went wide due to bad footwork.

But I'm sure she'll improve on that.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM
many? She only had 14 unforced?

-VSR-
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM
many? She only had 14 unforced?

AND, I believe most of them came at the beginning of the match where she looked tight.

alias
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hey All,

I don't think Serena looked fat at all. Surely, some of us noticed the video of her practicing before the match that they're showing on ESPN2 now. She looked down right slim. Her fitness is the question - and upon her getting match tough - it will be back.

She played a solid match on yesterday - and she should be pleased. Of course - the matches will be tougher as she moves the thru the draw - and that's if she does. I hope she does.

And as it pertains to her tugging on her outfit - she has done that before and even years ago. Nicole was just a tugging on hers last week. I love her outfit. It is the bomb.

"COME ON SERENA" "DIG DEEP - GIRLFRIEND" "YOU CAN DO IT"

Yeah...I'm watching her match now on TSN, she's big, but not as big as implied from some posters. She needs to tone more than anything, half the womens tour could use some toning.:angel:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
C'mon! *fist pump* :rocker2: Loves it Serena, couldnt have asked for a better scoreline.

tennisbum79
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I am watching the match now. And I have seen encouraging signs so far.
She has not shown none of that negative attitude and frustration she had
displayed the last couple of years when things are not going as well.

Her attitude was positive or even today.
She seems collected, focussed and unrattled thoughout the match.

Europe rocks
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Mara :sad: :sobbing: :hug: You came close at Wimbledon a couple of years ago, why not today? Hopefully you won't feel too bad after a defeat like this and can get onto the rest of the year

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I just saw Serena's match. She was pretty impressive.
Her serve, damn and some of those returns! :scared: Plus she was hussling out there and wasn't huffing and puffing. ;)
Anyhow, it was cute when Shriver was interviewing her and mentionned that the next opponent was Kremer. Serena said she would be calling Venus, since she has played virtually everyone on tour. Still counting on big sis! :awww::lol:

cometz9
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Good win Serena :hearts: she's gonna have to keep improving each match. Good Luck against Kremer!!!

Bremen
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Congrats to Serena! Surprise me and win the whole tournament!

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
very, very impressive for Serena. much better than last week. and her foot movement seems WAY better than in new york last season, so i hope we see great things from her for the remainder of this tournament. AT LEAST a QF finish :)

gocanadago
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Keep going on Reena :bounce:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Still counting on big sis! :awww::lol:[/FONT]

:lol: Yep, even after claiming Venus gave her bad advice at Hobart. :lol: at all the silly cows who worked themselves up into a huff over that, as if it would make Venus mad.:rolleyes: Their bond is stronger than that.

carling
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Despite the fact that Serena is overweight and needs to lose about 15 lbs, I have to admit that the pics that were posted of her practicing etc. were misleading. She looked MUCH better on tv than the pics lead me to believe. Obviously, Serena is rusty and there is still a lot of work to do, but I'm a bit more hopeful now.

Serena looked better than I anticipated and it's great to have her back. :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
all I have to say is, if rusty is 10 aces to 3 double faults, 88% first serves won, 25 winners to 14 unforced errors.....I can't WAIT to see a clean match :bounce:

darrinbaker00
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
all I have to say is, if rusty is 10 aces to 3 double faults, 88% first serves won, 25 winners to 14 unforced errors.....I can't WAIT to see a clean match :bounce:
Don't let the numbers fool you, my friend. Miss Serena's game still needs a generous application of WD-40.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
yeah, she can't settle for anything less than a Federer-esque 2006.

But hey, he was broken MULTIPLE times, so hey...;), everyone needs work :yeah: it's a first rounder

Aaron.
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Serena :banana: Serena got a good draw here..hopefully she can use Kremer as a warm up for Nadia :unsure: Serena :banana:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I actually was impressed by the way she played...for her not to have played in while and compared to the last time I saw her play....its was obvious she didnt need to be in tournaments a few times last year...but today she played about 50% of her game...the serve was kickin ass...I pulling for her to win this tournament...she just needs to tighten up on a few things...way to handle your business today Miss Williams ;)

Kunal
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
she looked in really good touch...

Kunal
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
even her opponent confessed surprise at the way she played here and the way she played in hobart......she has stepped up a notch for sure

Diesel
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
even her opponent confessed surprise at the way she played here and the way she played in hobart......she has stepped up a notch for sure

Serena has to set this same tone for the whole season.

Mina Vagante
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
seems to me that serena is not playing the power game she used to, she used to go for winners outrighteven if the winner was not ready to be hit. now.. it may have summat to do with the racquet but she is quite happy to work the point she was using more spin and was prepared to run around the court. then when the winner was in, she hit it. :) GREAT match:worship:

tennisrocks123
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
An impressive first round performance from Serena. I hope she'll be more aggressive in future matches, particularly on that forehand and hit that shot more smoothly.

Paialii
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Serena looked pretty good. :)

Her backhand was spectacular, but her forehand seems a little weak at the moment. The serve was :hearts:, and I hope it sticks around for the next rounds. Think about it, folks: if she atleast gets to the third round, she'll have equalled her points from last year at this tournament, and should she win third round and reach the fourth (win or lose in the fourth), she'll already be pulling her ranking up. :cool: