PDA

View Full Version : {AO Rnd.1} J.Jankovic[15] def. A.Wozniak 6-3 6-3

SzavayFi
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Jela should have won this by an easier score line in my opinion. But a win is definately a win.

REST UP JELENA!!! Go far. :rocker2:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
3 & 3 is a pretty easy scoreline she did well :woohoo:

pcrtennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
They showed a clip of this on ESPN, Wozniak was horrible...absolutely terrible.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Wozniak was horrible? Than you probably didn't see the match. She actually played really well. Sticking in some ralies longer than most out of top 50 players would... She has great BH diagonale, and nice 2. kick-serve...

JJ was obviously tired, and lacked finishing touch. But still, 6-3 6-3 is very good ;) It could have been someting like 6-2 6-2, but this is great as well :)

AJDE JECO :bowdown:

piercerocks
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:06 AM
yay!! great for both players

but jelena definitely needs some rest.

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Nice try, Wozniak ; at least you broke her twice. ;)
You really need to work on your fitness and movement (and shot selection too :o The clip they showed on TSN was not impressive. :o).
But at least you are getting into main draws and getting experience.
ALLEZ!

LindsayRulz
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:07 AM
They showed a clip of this on ESPN, Wozniak was horrible...absolutely terrible.

True. However I think Jelena wasn't playing very well too...

FLL
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Wozniak was horrible? Than you probably didn't see the match. She actually played really well. Sticking in some ralies longer than most out of top 50 players would... She has great BH diagonale, and nice 2. kick-serve...

JJ was obviously tired, and lacked finishing touch. But still, 6-3 6-3 is very good ;) It could have been someting like 6-2 6-2, but this is great as well :)

AJDE JECO :bowdown:

If she played like you're saying, then I'm happy but if she played the whole match like they showed on ESPN, then I'm dissapointed because it wasn't really nice...

pcrtennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Oh, Jankovic played very well...nothing to do with her...Wozniak looked completely disinterested and way out of shape...she was missing bigggg and for no reason.

stevos
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:09 AM
OMG Wozniak, that was sooo ugly, you made me embarassed for Canada there :tape:

It might have just been an unfortunate clip, but her forehand is :help:

She has a good first serve and backhand though, not bad at all, however I think Steph could kick her ass.

UncleZeke
for being a little porker, I thought Wozniak played about as well as she could.

maxomax
The part of the match we saw was horible I agree. But I think she didn't played like this all the match! Thanks Tenis Srbija for your comments! I believe you, Aleks has good groudstrokes!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:11 AM
:o Wozniak really needs to work on her fitness and court movement :tape:

She barely got her 1st service in :help:
Her FH seems to be her main weapon ;)

ezekiel
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:11 AM
hopefully JJ picks it up as she seemed rather weak with the serve .

tucker1989
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Is it just me or has Wozniak put on some serious weight? She looks much heavier than even Pittsburgh last year. If she wants to make it to the top she needs to work on her conditioning as well as her attitude. So-so performance from Jelena, just rest up for the next round and take it one match at a time.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Wozniak has :help: FH
But at times she smashed BH diagonale so hard, that JJ couldn't retirive...

I dunno why are you saying that she played bad? She didn't embarasse Canada :shrug: She played well, for hers standards. Has really nice second kick-serve. And she did stick long in ralies... She needs to open up and spin up a bit hers FH and work on slice, that was :help: today!

Nevertheless she played nice match! And if she was to played it against outside top 30 players, she could have won it...

Dexter
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Congrats Jelena.

Ola :hug: tough draw in your first MD GS :sad: better luck next time! :hug:

Derek.
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Jelena. :D

FLL
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:20 AM
OMG Wozniak, that was sooo ugly, you made me embarassed for Canada there :tape:

It might have just been an unfortunate clip, but her forehand is :help:

She has a good first serve and backhand though, not bad at all, however I think Steph could kick her ass.

While she gets in maindraw of Grand Slam, Steph loses in first round of qualifying... enough said..

Bad clip, bad day.. she's a lot better then she showed.. And even by playing that bad, she won 6 games off the hottest player on tour!

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Wozniak has :help: FH
But at times she smashed BH diagonale so hard, that JJ couldn't retirive...

I dunno why are you saying that she played bad? She didn't embarasse Canada :shrug: She played well, for hers standards. Has really nice second kick-serve. And she did stick long in ralies... She needs to open up and spin up a bit hers FH and work on slice, that was :help: today!

Nevertheless she played nice match! And if she was to played it against outside top 30 players, she could have won it...

We didn't get to see the whole match in Canada. Just one clip and it was right after she had broken JJ in the second set and she was serving at *2-3. She didn't play well at all, at that point.

mboyle
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Wozniak was horrible? Than you probably didn't see the match. She actually played really well. Sticking in some ralies longer than most out of top 50 players would... She has great BH diagonale, and nice 2. kick-serve...:bowdown:

Huh...that's funny cuz the ESPN clip really was: Jelena hits a loopy ball...Wozniak hits it like 20 feet out. It was silly bad.

exposbabe
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:27 AM
She hasn't put on much weight. In fact, she started to hit the gym.
Television is not very kind to anyone, I'm afraid.

~Kiera~
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Well done, Jelena. She wasn't at her best, but hopefully that'll come.

njnetswill
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM
That clip that ESPN showed reminded me of Pelletier vs Na. It was awful tennis.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:31 AM
We didn't get to see the whole match in Canada. Just one clip and it was right after she had broken JJ in the second set and she was serving at *2-3. She didn't play well at all, at that point.

She did play horrible at certain times. But the whole match conclusion is that she played decent. Her FH was OMG (negative sence), but BH was at the times really magnificent. She had problems on the net, didn't really respond well... As I said, her slice is the thing that she needs to work on, but FH must be priority! Open up, spin it up!!! Right after AO! Cuz if she don't do it now, later will be too late. And I will repeat again, second serve was always kicked - and that was pretty hard the retrieve, and not make it a easy point for Wozniak to finish of. She also needs to be more agresive, cuz she did defend very well, but she isn't that type of player, and when she defeneds she didn't know what to do...just runin left-right, and at some point Janky would make an end to it...

So, clip was bad, Wozniak played decent! Very decent... With changes I said, she can be in top 50. I hope she and hers coach saw the same things :wavey:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Huh...that's funny cuz the ESPN clip really was: Jelena hits a loopy ball...Wozniak hits it like 20 feet out. It was silly bad.

To be honest in whole match there was maybe three or four shots like that from Wozniak. Most of UE she made by smashing FH paralel in the lower part of the net (open up, spin it up - here I go again :D ) and cuz of horrible slice... :)

But she DID NOT PLAY BAD!

stevos
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM
While she gets in maindraw of Grand Slam, Steph loses in first round of qualifying... enough said..

Bad clip, bad day.. she's a lot better then she showed.. And even by playing that bad, she won 6 games off the hottest player on tour!

Stephs opponent was red-hot that day, and Steph isn't feeling the most confident right now, but from other matches I've seen of her, and comparing to this one, Steph has what it takes more than Wozniak. That shot Mboyle mentioned was so bad. And Wozniak really is not looking physically too great (worse than Serena :help: )

She didn't take any time to think "okay, maybe Jelena is tired and I should think this through", she just ran into each point not well prepared in my opinion.

ioni
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Wozniak :hug:

selyoink
Well done Jelena finishing it in two relatively quick sets. Now rest up.

Tenis Srbija
She was a bit nervous at the times... But didn't really reflect on her game at all!

ViennaCalling
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Well done Jelena :hearts:

Aleks :hug: Better luck next time!

soccerjock
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Well done Jelena keep it up!

Vaidisova
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Well done Jelena, keep going!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070115/capt.mel21301150611.australia_tennis_open_mel213.j pg

disco_rage
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Keep those wins coming Jelena. Well done!

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM
during point she is pretty much clueless. No sense of improvisation.

That's true! She really needs to think a bit more into points. In large amounts of points, she was waiting for a mistake from Jelena :shrug: and that didn't happen to offten :D

nouf
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:41 AM
http://img149.imagevenue.com/loc465/th_42785_jankovic_122_465lo.jpg (http://img149.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=42785_jankovic_122_465lo.jpg)http://img156.imagevenue.com/loc552/th_42791_jankovic2_122_552lo.jpg (http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=42791_jankovic2_122_552lo.jpg)http://img155.imagevenue.com/loc347/th_42797_jankovic3_122_347lo.jpg (http://img155.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=42797_jankovic3_122_347lo.jpg)

Belmont Lad
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Well done Jelena :) Poor Aleks, hard to draw one of the hottest players on tour in round 1. Still, you got first round money, which is a decent payday. Keep improving :yeah:

nouf
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM
http://img101.imagevenue.com/loc428/th_44142_wozniack_122_428lo.jpg (http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=44142_wozniack_122_428lo.jpg)http://img111.imagevenue.com/loc456/th_44148_wozniack2_122_456lo.jpg (http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=44148_wozniack2_122_456lo.jpg)http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc427/th_44154_wozniack3_122_427lo.jpg (http://img150.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=44154_wozniack3_122_427lo.jpg)

jazar
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
routine win. she'll get better :)

LucasArg
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Well done Jelena!!! :bigclap:

Now rest a little please! :kiss:

Shimizu Amon
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Jela should have won this by an easier score line in my opinion. But a win is definately a win.

I absolutely agree with you on that part! Well let's just see what the 2nd round brings for Jelena.

Marcus Jordan
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Its Kind Of Wierd Getting Used To The Idea Of Juju Being A Superstar

FLL
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Stephs opponent was red-hot that day, and Steph isn't feeling the most confident right now, but from other matches I've seen of her, and comparing to this one, Steph has what it takes more than Wozniak. That shot Mboyle mentioned was so bad. And Wozniak really is not looking physically too great (worse than Serena :help: )

She didn't take any time to think "okay, maybe Jelena is tired and I should think this through", she just ran into each point not well prepared in my opinion.

The only part I agree on is that Aleks doesn't look fit, but she never has... still she's having success..

And the comment on a red-hot opponent of Steph is bad.. Even if your 172 ranked opponent is hot, you have to win it.. Come on, it's first round qualifying and you are seeded 6th.. Losing 7-5, 6-2 is even more :help:

Leopold Stotch
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Just finished watching it. Looked a little tired. Understandably.

Just Do It
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Wozniak was :help:

Nice win JJ :yeah:

Mattographer
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Aleks has chance today as Jelena played not that good but end of the day, Jelena is the better player :)

TS
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Aleks didn't play so bad, she showed glimpses that she is a talented young player. Is a little impatient and needs to cut down on the silly errors, but that will come with experience. She just faced a red hot, and much better, opponent.

As for Aleks/Steph debate - there's not much separating them, but Aleks seems to go for the lines more, whereas Steph has a little more flair and variety. I think they will both have decent careers, but may struggle to get past 50.

Harju.
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
JJ :banana:

xXSarajevoXx
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice start Jelena :bounce: :D :D

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
It should have been easier but still well done Jelena :yeah:

sonnys
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yes Jelena is off to 2 rd!!!!!!! Go Jelena!!! Some more pics???

tobi
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Congrats Jelena :)

Nice outfit :)

V-MAC
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
:) Jelena, nice win. I just hope she has enough in the tank both mentally and physically to go the distance in Melbourne :bounce:

AJZ.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
The part of the match we saw was horible I agree. But I think she didn't played like this all the match! Thanks Tenis Srbija for your comments! I believe you, Aleks has good groudstrokes!

I agree she was horrible, she looked really discouraged out there. But hopefully she'll pick things up soon :)

LUXXXAS
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Congrats Jelenka :inlove::yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
The only part I agree on is that Aleks doesn't look fit, but she never has... still she's having success..

And the comment on a red-hot opponent of Steph is bad.. Even if your 172 ranked opponent is hot, you have to win it.. Come on, it's first round qualifying and you are seeded 6th.. Losing 7-5, 6-2 is even more :help:

I won't get into the Aleks situation.

But I certainly will come to defend Steph. You remember Us Open, 2nd qualy round? Aleks got beaten easily against Knapp who at the time certainly was no star either. Red hot or not, she beat Aleks. Next round, Steph handled her quite easily, winning sthing like 11 games in a row at one point. It led to Steph qualifying, sthing aleks has never done. She did get in by herself and it is great for her and for canadian tennis. But qualifying is no easy task either. The players ranked from 100 to 200 are all almost as equally talented and can beat each other on any day. You can see how so much of the seeds lost early, including veterans like Osterloh.

The point is, Aleks had a chance to make her mark, impress people, and she didn't yesterday. She is clearly better than what we saw. And she will have many more chances in the future to show what she is made off. And so will Steph. I'm just looking forward to the day where people will stop comparing them. They couldn't be more different and come from more different backgrounds. It's been lasting since they are 14 and I think it's time that it stops. Both are canadians who deserve the best and I'm looking forward to the day where it will just stop happening. I know I have exacerbated that debate many times by some comments, and I totally know it. I am biased. Everyone is. But no one should ever take the right to bitch one of the girls in order to make the other look better. We all have preferences, let's accept them and move on.