PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone against tennis fans acting like soccer fans?

martirogi
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Wouldn't that make the game A LOT more interesting? :confused:

i'm refering to things such as cheering loudly and chanting during the whole match. not being told to be quiet and sit down. i'm not talking about rioting. :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Nope.

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Sorry, I don't want to see riots breaking out at the tennis. I've got no problem with fans supporting their favourites but it needs to be kept under control.

UDACHi
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:21 AM
i like it. wimbledon bores me sometimes cause of the apparently sleeping fans. obviously, rioting isn't appropriate, but i think a little more fan intervention adds some drama to the mix. :)

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Because things can get so out of control during soccer matches.
I mean, people have lost their lives, in the stands, while watching that sport.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:23 AM

WTF. :weirdo:

UncleZeke
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
those people we saw weren't acting like fans. they were acting like hooligans.

Derek.
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Tennis is a game of class and sportsmanship.

It's always been that way.

Dexter
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
We have enough hooligans on the football stadiums :o

morningglory
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:34 AM
ummm no... tennis is tennis and soccer is soccer...

switz
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:44 AM
there's room for vocal support in tennis but there has to be a line drawn during play because tennis is much more of a game of concentration than many teams sports. If you have people jumping up and down during points it would be incredibly distracting for the players and you'd end up with terrible quality matches a lot of time. When there is an exciting match tennis can as good an atmosphere as any sport - if not better.

pcrtennis
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM
It's just not the way it's done. Not every sport must be the same. The polite behavior and "gentlemenship" is what makes Tennis different ans special. (sorry that was so poorly worded)

ToeTag
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM
i'm refering to things such as cheering loudly and chanting during the whole match. not being told to be quiet and sit down.Yeah I LOVE seeing that! Tennis is too prissy, and boring alot of the time.

shibi
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Soccer :confused: Never heard of it. :rolleyes:

I know Football and I know that some barbarians like to call it by some other name but not sure what. :tape:

star
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I don't mind it. I find it entertaining :lol:

Volcana
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Football fans KILL each other. Tennis may be a sport for the emotionally repressed, but it improves upon the alternative.

Maria Croft
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM
No way! I don't like it when it gets to loud and noisy, sometimes the fans that do shout throughout a match after every single point annoy the hell out of me, imagining it getting worse and being so loud, or even louder all the time would kill the sport for me.

Keadz
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
It's fine to have people yelling and chanting during a match, its entertaining. But it gets really annoying when they yell through out points and between faults and laugh at the opposing players and don't respect them for their good play.
But everything that the Aussie fanatics, Sweedish supporters and most of the time the Greek supporters do is fine, but what the Croatians and Serbians fans have been doing lately is pathetic and they shouldn't be allowd at the Aussie Open if they are gonna act like dick heads and degrade the Aussie Open after it has been thriving for so long.

SpankMe
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Re: Why is everyone against tennis fans acting like soccer fans?
.because they are scum! :rolleyes:

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
some cases they act like soccer fans and very patriotic

i.e I remember some Davis Cup ties Australia were on the wrong side of

against Spain in SPain in 2000 for example
and against Argentina in Argentina in 2004 I think it was

MyskinaManiac
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
OK, today people were getting attacked at the AO to the point where individuals were getting physically hurt and injured... personally that's not what tennis is about, it's a gentlemens sport or to be politacally correct it's a gentlepersons sport. Yes, 'gentle'. Needless to say, cheering at a match is fine, as is fans swearing at each other, of which was evident in Sydney when Clijsters faced off with Jankovic during a live broadcast... that is tolerable; serb vs croat fighting isn't (which was observed today).

Tennis doesn't need riots, it needs pure fun, excitment and passion; without flares and racial slurs - all of which do not come from a soccer-like atmosphere. You get mexican waves, chanting, hawkeye, crazed streakers, wrong line calls, abusive players, fashion, smashed rackets, fantastic tennis... what more could you want from the sport?

Soccer fans can stay with their soccer, and tennis fans will keep to tennis.

Hagar
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with loud cheering but booing and shouting during points and between services is uncalled for in tennis.
And fights between fans is bad in every sport!

Leopold Stotch
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
There's a line that shouldn't be crossed (eg. today) but I'm all for it.

Andy.
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Tennis is a game of class and sportsmanship.

It's always been that way.
Exactly :worship: its not about going around acting like idiots being dissrespectfull and rude to your favs opponenets. The viloence we saw today was just pathetic :o

Spunky83
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
You need to listen to the sound when the ball comes off your opponent´s raquet. It helps you distinguish the different shots like a slice or a total mis-hit.

Plus try tossing up the ball when serving and then have to listen to something like ´double-fault you fucker, hu-hu-hu`.

Having football stadium atmo would destroy the nature of tennis.

Grand Slam night session atmosphere is the most extreme you can get and I think that´s fantastic.

PLUS: I hate getting beer showers from other fans in football stadiums, it´s disgusting and no I don´t want to get hugged by drunken strangers.

Ryan
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Also - tennis isn't played in a huge arena that fits over 200 000 people, so the noise really isn't a factor for soccer players. In a 15 000 person arena, jeering and yelling is much more noticable and isn't good for the players. How exactly does it make tennis more interesting? If anything, we'd have more players complaining to the ump and getting fined for cursing the fans.

gibberish
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
It's one thing to act like a fan. It's another thing entirely to act like a complete yobbo.

Babolatpro880
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
It depends.

I didn't see all of Marcos's match last night, but I think that his little contingent of fans is pretty fun and makes it more exciting. That being said, as a player, I don't appreciate people talking DURING points AT ALL. But if it's only between points I think it's a lot of fun.

On the other hand, the Serbs and Croats yelling and screaming at each other with police in the middle is disgraceful, and should not be tolerated.

germex
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Acting like an idiot and going to a match and actually not seeing it, is not my idea of fun.

DavidW
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I agree with the general consensus here and think that cheering is good as long as it is done after points and not during points or on a tossup. Take the Medibank final for example: Clijsters and Jankovic played a real good final but the fans had to be warned at least 5 times by the umpire and it got to the point where certain groups of fans booed Kim after she won a point/game or if she (Kim) made a fault them 'fans' would let out a childish laugh. That is ridiculous!

Tennis is a game built on respect and long may it continue that way.

I just want to make it clear that I have no problem with fans cheering on their respective countrypersons; I just think you should wait until the point is completed.

miffedmax
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Every sport has its own ettiquette. For example, you can keep a baseball, but you have to give tennis balls and footballs (both kinds) back.

Another difference is that if your in a soccer stadium, there's a pretty good distance between you and the players. Having played both (albeit at much lower levels), there's something about that distance and the vast size of the pitch that makes it easier to tune out the crowd. In tennis, the venues are small and more intimate and it's harder to be completely focused if you're distracted.

tennismaster8820
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM
It depends.

I didn't see all of Marcos's match last night, but I think that his little contingent of fans is pretty fun and makes it more exciting. That being said, as a player, I don't appreciate people talking DURING points AT ALL. But if it's only between points I think it's a lot of fun.

On the other hand, the Serbs and Croats yelling and screaming at each other with police in the middle is disgraceful, and should not be tolerated.

I agree with you!
It wasn't tolerated!
"The ones who were trown out were mostly Serbs, because they were provoking Croats" - said spokeswoman of police Katherine Jess.
Croats were waiting for Ancic's match to start.
I don't know how will things look like on Cilic - Bozoljac match!:tape:

Wayn77
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM
... 150 fans ejected from AO for a mass brawl ...

because tennis isn't football godammit. I'm sick to death of soccer's domination as it is.

tennisbum79
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Because Soccer/Football players thrive in that kind of atmosphere.
Tennis players do not.

tennisbum79
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Soccer hooligans don't belong at tennis matches. Making opponents cry like they did to Clijsters was beyond fandom and breaking out into fights was nationalism at its worst.

I'm glad the Serbs-Croats got ejected and I hope they eject Marcos Baghdatis' Greek chorus soon as well. :o

What is it about the Ausie Open which makes this possible?
You do not see this kind of behavior in the other 3 majors.

As I posted in another thread, the Ausie themselves tend to favor the "old" country over their current country of Australia.
And they carry the old old ethnic tension, rivalries, anymosities.
And this makes a fertile ground for traveling fans from the different
countries who want to express these kind of feelings.

Jakeev
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
If Australia is gonna cheer loudly for Nicole Pratt then let them. But you can't really compare tennis to soccer.

It's one thing to have 20,000 against 20 guys, but it's another to have that same 20,000 against one player.

Then again, tennis players are supposed to be mentally tougher than soccer players any way. If that's the case, they should be able to find away to play through a crowd that is against them.

Just Do It
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM

i'm refering to things such as cheering loudly and chanting during the whole match. not being told to be quiet and sit down. i'm not talking about rioting. :rolleyes:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

I like football atmosphere at tennis courts :devil: :lol:

IceHock
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I think it would attract more fans, I mean not beating eachother up like the serbs and croats did but if every tournament was the same atmosphere as fed cup, I think you would see more tennis fans.

vutt
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Loud cheering between the points have indeed added some atmosphere during Davis Cup matches for example, but during the point crowd should be silent in order to conduct fair fight.
Beside some players say that hearing bounce sound is important information.

~Kiera~
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm glad the Serbs-Croats got ejected and I hope they eject Marcos Baghdatis' Greek chorus soon as well. :o

It's been lost amongst much of the reporting, but it seems some Greek fans were also ejected.