PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge System is pathetic...

tennisIlove09
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM
...if they dont offer it on every court, dont offer it at all :)

UncleZeke
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Too expensive for them to put on all courts, so they say. But for a GS,they should come up with the coins..

-VSR-
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:20 AM
They should at least have it on Vodafone. :rolleyes:

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Yeah I think so too, maybe even on MCA.

But its not realistic to expect them to have big screens on like 20 courts. There isn't really any room for them, not to mention the costs involved. I still think its better to have it on some courts than not at all, though it is a bit of a bummer for those playing on the smaller courts

tennisIlove09
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah I think so too, maybe even on MCA.

But its not realistic to expect them to have big screens on like 20 courts. There isn't really any room for them, not to mention the costs involved. I still think its better to have it on some courts than not at all, though it is a bit of a bummer for those playing on the smaller courts

Yup. If I got placed on a smaller court because I wasnt playing a big name, I would be pissed off.

Its sort of designed as a feature for the top players. :o

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
the reason is money related apparently

altho I suppose a major match won't be decided by a wrong call at least if thats something

i.e 2004 OZ Open remember the wrong call where Henin influenced the umpire in the Clijsters match

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yup. If I got placed on a smaller court because I wasnt playing a big name, I would be pissed off.

Its sort of designed as a feature for the top players. :o
Yeah I guess it is, and also for television.

But I think its important to have it for the big matches, like the semis/final :)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:38 AM
wasn't this the same at the US Open. It was only offered on Ashe and Armstrong.

I think it's just too expensive for it to be on all courts. Plus the big screen for all to see on each court (although that is not really needed. just have a small screen on the umpire's chair and have them tell us if it was out or not)

cosmoose
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:44 AM
So replay system is installed only in Rod Laver?

Derek.
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM

So true. :o

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM
So replay system is installed only in Rod Laver?

Bingo :o

cosmoose
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:53 AM

AO spent $94 million to build RLA (with retractable roof).
Yet they can only find money to install one hawk-eye system?
from what I have read, hawk-eye costs only $100,000 per court.

cosmoose
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Martian Stacey
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I don't think the AO paid for that... I think the government would have?

klok
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I think that Vodafone Arena and Margaret Court Arena should have hawk-eye. If money was no issue then every court would have hawk-eye but it is not financially possible at this point.

It is a bit unfair for some matches to have challenges while most do not, but having it on some is better than having it on no courts.

Maybe if they installed it on Vodafone and MCA they could make it so it is only implemented from the 4th round/QF's onwards but personally I feel while it is there it may as well be used to the fullest.

vogus
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Five years from now they will be using the challenge technology for all ATP and WTA matches. Having it on the show courts now is a necessary first step.

star
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Yeah I know. I was really surprised to hear they didn't.

GoDominique
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Five years from now they will be using the challenge technology for all ATP and WTA matches. Having it on the show courts now is a necessary first step.
Unlikely.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I agree! All courts, or none!!! This how it's sooo stupid!
One rule for Mauresmo-Perry match, and one for Gajdosova-Sequera.
That's :o

Prizeidiot
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I disagree. I'd rather have some big calls fixed, rather than none.

And at the very least, having hawk eye on centre means that a final or some other big match won't be decided by a poor call, which can sometimes ruin the whole event (eg. I think the Jen v Serena line call is probably the most memorable aspect of the 2004 US Open)

vogus
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Unlikely.

not really. Maybe five years is an exaggeration, but by 10-15 years from now, tennis replay technology is going to be cheap enough to put on your mobile phone. Anyway, tennis is about providing a good entertainment experience. In that sense, the high profile matches that people watch take a higher priority than the unwatched matches.

selyoink
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I agree. All courts should have challenge or none of them. It isn't fair to the lower ranked players.

-jenks-
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM
They should at least have it on the top 3 courts.