PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova Serves Up New Dish: Breakfast

tennisIlove09
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Kournikova Serves Up New Dish: Breakfast
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/KOURNIKOVA04GOODArtSeitz.jpg
Phioto By Art Seitz By Tennis Week
01/12/2007

Breakfast will come complete with a taste of tennis next week courtesy of Anna Kournikova. The Miami resident is headed back to school in South Florida to serve a breakfast award and speak to students about the importance of physical fitness and nutrition.

Kournikova will visit the North Palm Beach Elementary School on Tuesday to promote the "got breakfast" campaign promoting the Federal School Breakfast program. During a school-wide assembly, Kournikova will speak to students about nutrition and fitness and present principal Bill Thompson with a special recognition award for his efforts in utilizing the Classroom Breakfast model to serve meals at his school.
"Itís a great project for me to be involved with and a great cause," Kournikova told Tennis Week today. "I believe that the first step to improving well-being is with good nutrition and when millions of students across the country are not taking part in breakfast they are missing out on the opportunity to perform their best at school. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it gives you the fuel to think and be more alert, awake and alive."
The "got breakfast?" Foundation works to help the millions of students who qualify for a free or reduced-price breakfast to access the meals they are not receiving. Out of 55 million children who attend public school in the United States, 30 million participate in the National School Lunch Program, but only an estimated 9.6 million eat breakfast in school. The foundation includes a coalition of public officials, community leaders, private organizations and personalities committed to anti-hunger efforts.
Studies show that Classroom Breakfast dramatically increases test scores and improves the health of children. When breakfast is served in the classroom and offered to all students, regardless of income, breakfast participation numbers have doubled and in some cases tripled.
The two-time Australian Open doubles champion took a moment to dish out her views on tennis and her future plans in a brief interview today.
Tennis Week: Do you watch womenís tennis? Who do you like watching these days?
Anna Kournikova: To be honest, I really havenít watched so many matches because they donít show them that much on TV and I havenít really traveled to any tournaments so I have not seen any tennis matches recently. I think the last tournament I saw was the U.S. Open, so itís really hard to say. I understand you really have to try to find tennis and itís not just like out there and you can come across it.
Tennis Week: You partnered with Martina Hingis to win the 1999 and 2002 Australian Open doubles titles. What are your memories of playing doubles with Hingis and what do you think of her comeback?
Anna Kournikova: I think itís great. Itís really exciting and great for tennis to have Martina back and a lot of young players and learn so much just by watching her. Sheís such an interesting player to watch; tennis is lucky to have her back. Martinaís a true champion and a legend and an artist on court so tennis is lucky to have her back because sheís great for the game.
Tennis Week: Do you still stay in touch with any players on the Tour now?
Anna Kournikova: I am in touch with a few girls and we talk a few times a month and stay in touch.
Tennis Week: I saw you play World TeamTennis last summer, I know you play exhibitions and charity events. What are your plans for playing tennis ó either WTT, or exhibitions or maybe even the select tour doubles event ó in the future. Do you want to play? Do you think you will play?
Anna Kournikova: I hope to play World TeamTennis again and I think I am most probably going to. But Iím not sure about playing [other events]. Itís really very hard to say and maybe one day I will. I really donít know. Itís really not something that I see happening in the next month. Itís very hard to say because how I feel is that I am always a risk taker and one minute I may want to do something or try something new. I really donít know. I like not planning things and being spontaneous.
Tennis Week: What is your primary professional focus now?
Anna Kournikova: Working with the Boys and Girls Clubs is the main place where I put my energy and I still do some of the modeling and work with kids and charities. I love playing tennis charity events because itís a way to stay active in the game and gives me a great feeling to give back to people and give my time for great causes. So I always do the World TeamTennis Smash Hits with Billie Jean King and Elton John and friends and I love doing the Arthur Ashe Kids Day before the U.S. Open so when Iím asked to do those tennis exhibitions for charity I enjoy doing them.

mboyle
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ha that's down the street from me!

go hingis
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I enjoyed reading that. Anna is probably one of the best past or current players at giving interviews. Nice to see Anna helping so many kids, charities and causes. She really has grown into a lovely young lady and I wish her all the best.

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Kournikova gives back to kids Published Monday, January 15, 2007

By Mario Sarmento
SPORTS EDITOR
Anna Kournikova has been in love with children since she herself was a child.

“Ever since I was a little girl I was bubbly and very independent,” she said. “I used to tie the shoelaces of the younger children; I loved to take care of younger people. I’ve always felt close to children. I love how curious they are.”

That love has only grown since Kournikova retired from professional tennis in 2003. Since then, she has volunteered her time to the Boys and Girls Club, and in the process she said, “I’ve become a little kid also.”

That’s why she was so excited to be contacted by the "got breakfast?" foundation, a company that has created a product called “Breakfast Breaks,” a grab-and-go meal consisting of cereal, graham crackers and fruit juice.
Gary Davis, a representative of the "got breakfast?" foundation, said the program was designed in response to the fact that 29 million kids are signed up for the free lunch program at schools, yet only nine million of those children were taking advantage of the breakfast plan.

“The ‘got breakfast?’ campaign is focused on reaching as many kids as you can,” Davis said. “A classroom breakfast is the best way to do that.”
One local principal, Bill Thompson at North Palm Beach Elementary School, is already providing the “Breakfast Breaks” to his students, and because of that he will receive an award from Kournikova herself around 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the school, after she speak to 180 principals at the monthly principals’ meeting at School District headquarters.

Following the presentation, Kournikova will eat with the students and field their questions.

“It affects the well-being of kids,” she said. “Breakfast is the most important meal. It gives kids the energy they need to make it through the day.”

Kournikova said she prefers a breakfast of plain oatmeal, cereal with no sugar, plain yogurt with fresh fruit and scrambled eggs with vegetables mixed in.

This is Kournikova’s first presentation as a part of the company, but she and Davis plan to make the rounds nationally as the campaign builds.

Kournikova also has produced an exercise video for kids where she shows them easy techniques they can perform in the classroom.

“It’s all very basic and very fun,” she said.

And though she no longer plays on the WTA Tour, Kournikova has found other ways to fill her schedule.

She still models and does photo shoots every 4-6 months, and she plays in several tennis charity events. Recently, she was in Delray Beach for the Chris Evert Classic in November.

“I like the way I’ve settled in here,” she said.

South_Paw
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Last night, after the Australian Open early show ended, ESPN showed a Chris Evert Pro-Celebrity Special. Chris was teamed with former President Bush against John Lovitz and Lindsay Davenport. After a few games Chris brought Anna K. in to sub for her. It was Anna's serve and it didn't look like she got any practice serves. I think it was on the second point she played, Anna beaned the ex-president in the leg (or butt) with a serve. It was hilarious. She looked extremely embarassed. In general everyone tries to be very respectful of Mr. Bush. They say that they let him win. Then Anna comes in and promptly beans him in the butt. After that she kept her serves down the middle. I wonder if she'll be invited back next year?

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Last night, after the Australian Open early show ended, ESPN showed a Chris Evert Pro-Celebrity Special. Chris was teamed with former President Bush against John Lovitz and Lindsay Davenport. After a few games Chris brought Anna K. in to sub for her. It was Anna's serve and it didn't look like she got any practice serves. I think it was on the second point she played, Anna beaned the ex-president in the leg (or butt) with a serve. It was hilarious. She looked extremely embarassed. In general everyone tries to be very respectful of Mr. Bush. They say that they let him win. Then Anna comes in and promptly beans him in the butt. After that she kept her serves down the middle. I wonder if she'll be invited back next year?http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/7_4105796_3.jpg

http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/7_4105796_4.jpg

http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/7_4105796_5.jpg

tennisbear7
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.tennis.com.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2006-11/7_4105796_4.jpg

:haha::haha::help: