PDA

View Full Version : First time watching a slam without a favorite player to root for...

LindsayRulez
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I will now see how much I love tennis as a sport...this will be the first slam since Lindsay has retired. I of course miss her and everything just seems weird without her, but I'm going to try to enjoy the tennis itself. It's really the first time I can look at things unbiased-ly. I can say honestly that I think Justine is the best in the world, followed by Sharapova then Clijsters. Since Justine's not here, I expect Kim and Sharapova to meet in the semis, and in the other semi...who knows. Amelie could lose in the first round, or make it to the final easily...same with Dementieva. I just want to see some good match-ups. I miss the old days where we were promised exciting quarterfinal matches, and now we're lucky to get good matches in the final! Here's to hoping for some good, high-quality, dramatic tennis!!

AJZ.
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I will now see how much I love tennis as a sport...this will be the first slam since Lindsay has retired. I of course miss her and everything just seems weird without her, but I'm going to try to enjoy the tennis itself. It's really the first time I can look at things unbiased-ly. I can say honestly that I think Justine is the best in the world, followed by Sharapova then Clijsters. Since Justine's not here, I expect Kim and Sharapova to meet in the semis, and in the other semi...who knows. Amelie could lose in the first round, or make it to the final easily...same with Dementieva. I just want to see some good match-ups. I miss the old days where we were promised exciting quarterfinal matches, and now we're lucky to get good matches in the final! Here's to hoping for some good, high-quality, dramatic tennis!!

I couldn't agree more, however I think that looking at it in an unbiased fashion is boring. It's fun to root for players; it might take some time, but try to find others to root for :)
I can say that I love watching tennis no matter who is playing, though. I'm anxious to watch ESPN's coverage tonight, and I don't know who they'll show, but I don't care :lol: Any tennis to me is good tennis (note: they'll probably show Roddick, and I don't mind that :angel:)

Here's to some exciting tennis :)

frenchie
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM
same for me!!

I'm still cheering for JJ and Anna C

Viktymise
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
:hug:

AKfanatic
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Same....My faves are 1. Justine, 2. Kournikova, 3.Myskina 4. Dokic

Rooting for Clijsters and Jankovic at the AO!

The Daviator
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Same, this will be the first Slam I've ever experienced without Lindsay as an active player :sad: I'll have to get used to it I guess...

Tenis Srbija
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Poor you :hug:

I miss Linds :sobbing: :awww:

LindsayRulez
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Poor you :hug:

I miss Linds :sobbing: :awww:

me too....!

But I love Jelena, so hope she does well here!

TomTennis
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
at least your not a Williams fan :tape: :lol: :sad:

Its tricky to remember the last time I saw BOTH sisters at the SAME slam, both FULLY FIT! :sad:

Hope you enjoy the two weeks though :wavey:

Linds will be missed :hug:

UncleZeke
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I miss Lindsay also. hope you discover a new fav.

-VSR-
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
:hug:

I miss her too. She would always be my top choice to win (after Vee and Rena of course).

Mattographer
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Same :sad: Lindsay Davenport was my favourite player until she announced her retirement and I try to find out who I'm go to cheering for this year. I discovered Jelena Jankovic since last Monday :hearts:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Same, this will be the first Slam I've ever experienced without Lindsay as an active player :sad: I'll have to get used to it I guess...
:sad:
It's like starting all over again. It's like the first slam I ever watched except this time I know who's who. It feels so weird.
I love tennis, but there's something empty about Lindsay not being here. Something is missing. The nerves aren't there I guess.
I'm just hoping for some good tennis over the tournament.

But I'll always love and miss Lindsay. And she'll always be my number 1. :worship:

Dave.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Tennis will change so much for me without Lindsay being on tour. All the feelings of watching a grand slam will never be the same. The excitement of winning, the disappointment of losing, the rooting for Lindsay when she was down, everything. This was the first time when I looked at a GS draw without worrying about who Lindsay has in her half or anything like that. I have a few players who I want to do well at the A.Open, but it's completely different to following a player for all these years.

-VSR-
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:16 AM
:awww: Lindsay lovers! :hug:

This makes me appreciate Venus and Serena are still playing... well Venus is planning on playing. :lol:

Monica_Rules
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I know you feel. When Monica last played its been different for em with tennis but you find players you like and some you dislike. I seem to actually like british players more than anyone else now and follow the challenger tour more than the main one.

But i still like tennis im just not as passionate about it now.

PatM04
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:47 AM
It's definetly an empty feeling. Ever since Lindsay Davenport won her first slam she's owned the tennis half of my heart. Womens tennis isn't the same without her. I hope she is happy in her life after tennis and wish her all the best and all the happiness in the world!

LindsayRulz
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
same here :sad:

komorli
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Whenever I look at the draw I just see this HUGE hole compared to the field last year. :sad: We're missing huge names like Justine, Lindsay, Venus, Mary, etc. Wish they can all come back really soon. And when Lindsay does come back hopefully she'll be back strong.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I'm missing Lindsay too but I've always had other players I like to watch. Alicia, kim, sam and James Blake on the mens side and watching the Williams sisters getting beaten by a lowly ranked opponent. There is still a lot to like about tennis but for me there will never be another player I will like more than Lindsay.