PDA

View Full Version : Kim:"I'm No Contender"

Marcell
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'm no contender"

Kim Clijsters refused to put herself in the mix as one of the main contenders for her final Australian Open. The Belgian is the in-form player coming into Melbourne, having topped her winning run in the Hong Kong invitational with a thrilling victory at the Sydney International.

Yet the fourth seed batted away suggestions that she is now considered the front-runner to pick up the trophy on January 27.

"[Top seed] Maria [Sharapova] always plays well here," said the 23-year-old, who will retire at the end of the season.

"She's very good I think also in playing in the heat. This kind of Australian atmosphere, I think she enjoys that.

"She's playing well. She always is capable of doing a little bit more when it gets close, when it gets really important. That's why she's such a great champion.

"Amelie [Mauresmo] likes the higher bounce here on this kind of surface. After winning here last year, I think she definitely believes that this is a good chance for her.

"Those two are definitely up there. I'm not going to name myself," she added with a smile.

Affectionately known as "Aussie Kim" because of her former relationship with Australian Lleyton Hewitt, Clijsters has reached at least the semis in each of her last four outings to Melbourne Park.

Her best result was a runners-up spot to compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne in 2004 and last year a sprained ankle abruptly cut short her challenge in the semi-final against Mauresmo.

Should Clijsters sign off from Melbourne with the trophy in her hands, it would indeed be a perfect ending for the Belgian in a country where the fans have long embraced her as one of their own.

"I'm very focused on trying to win but everything's possible," Clijsters added.

"There's 127 other girls trying to do the same thing, I guess. Just have to try to be as ready as possible, and we'll see where it ends."

pcrtennis
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That's kind of rediculous...kind of annoying too...she has to like her chances.

Il Primo!
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Poor girl, she's still not able to deal with pressure. Before her retirement, I'd say it's high time to recognise she's as favorite as Maria or Amélie. What a fool

IceHock
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Well she doesn't actually say she isn't a contender, I see it as a sort of bad luck thing, seeing as she smiled when she said it, everybody knows she is a contender for it.

spencercarlos
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:24 PM
That's kind of rediculous...kind of annoying too...she has to like her chances.
I agree i mean, she just beat Sharapova in Hong Kong, and Amelie just got bageled from Jankovic and she beat red hot Jankovic in Sydney, so those are pretty much the three players that coming in are playing greater tennis ahead than the pack, so kind of silly, but in a way probably could be to take some pressure off her.. but yeah it sounds ridiculous, she is probably the best player coming in, beating both Sharapova and Jankovic this year.

xin_hui
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
she's just being polite ;) she does want to win

"I'm very focused on trying to win but everything's possible," Clijsters added.

Slumpsova
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Kim :lol:

Derek.
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
She always says this stuff. :o

Warrior
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think she just doesn't want the hype get to her. Kim knows that overconfidence could be dangerous.

terjw
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Kim's never one to boast or say how great she is. And she always praises other players. The main thing she will be thinking - as will all the top players - is one match at a time. Boring but the less you let your mind wander thinking about fancying your chances for the tiltle and the more you focus on your next match the better your chances.

And MrKnowItAll - calling Kim a fool says more about you than Kim.

crazyroberto6767
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Overblown. The quote in the title isn't even in the article (unless I missed it.)

southpaw58
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
She's one of the few who I'm cheering to win the damn thing. She's my number 2 for the tourney!!! CMON KIM let's ride out 07 with the Aussie Open!

njnetswill
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM
She refused to be called the favorite before her USO win in 2005 as well. The title is misleading.

go hingis
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe Kim's experience has shown her the player expected to win never wins. Kim's been doing this at the beginning of the past few slams, Taking expectation off herself.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Oh Kim :rolleyes: You are, stop being nice :p

pcrtennis
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Of all the top players, I'd like Clijsters to win this for sure. But I wish she wouldn't always do this...it's silly.

UncleZeke
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I think she is the fav, with Justine out.

-VSR-
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I'd like her to win this thing, also. But come on, tell it like it is, you're the favorite right now! :lol:

PLP
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Kimmie is just trying to take the pressure off herself...smart thing to do considering this is the last time she will play Melbourne.

I am sure she knows that her chances are very good...she's just keeping it to herself ;)

Marcus1979
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I assume she is trying to ease the media hype off her. So she can just concentrate on herself without other distractions :)

hablo
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Kimmie just being modest. :awww:
But we don't believe you simply because
you are one of the contenders. :devil:

ns_Henin
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM
The actress shows her acting talent again :worship:

slydevil6142
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM
oh i just roll my eyes at Kim sometimes..... its bad enough shes retiring at the end of the season but to not consider yourself a top contender for the title?.... In my mind Kim is the player to beat and Im sure in most of the players mind she is as well.

alfonsojose
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:27 AM
As usual :rolleyes:

Prizeidiot
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:48 AM
In fairness, contender is probably an understatement anyway. So in that regard, she's right.

She'd have to be top favourite here with Maria, but I guess most players want to play down their chances. Amelie also said she was underprepared earlier in the week.

Sally Struthers
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:15 AM
It's called being humble but it gets old and starts to sound insincere after so many times. There's no good way to answer such a question without sounding full of yourself and overconfident or without sounding insincerely humble.

faboozadoo15
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:17 AM
she never said she's not a contender, she just declined to name herself because she's modest. she knows she has a damn good shot at it. maybe better than anyone.

No Name Face
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:03 AM
big shocker...when you're top 5 in the world, you're a contender. there is a such thing as being annoyingly modest and she definitely crosses that.

morningglory
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:39 AM
:lol: works everytime... put pressure off urself but whatever, I mean we all know Kim is a top contender all right...

harloo
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Oh Kim please stop this nonsense. You can beat Maria and Amelie, it's time to stop doubting your abilities.:sad:

_Cell-chuk
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:44 AM
This is absolutely just ridiculous.

Clijsters does this before every grand slam. One year it was the retirement talk, one year it was the "hey my hip is injured, yet I can play, run, do the splits" talk, one year it was "Justine is the favourite" talk, one year it was the "I am not interested, but I am playing" talk.

Now this is really incredible because the players she cannot beat are either out (Justine, Venus, Davenport) or out of form (Serena, Mauresmo). Only Maria is playing and she beat Maria 10 days ago in straight sets. She saved MP to beat the current inform player, Jankovic.

So as much as I don't want her to win the AO, all the signs show that she is the heavy heavy favourite by miles.

I wrote this in another thread this a couple of days ago:
"I think only an in-form Maria can stop Clijsters. Clijsters is definetely the favourite.
She has no pressure on the court because her main rivals are either out(Justine, Venus, Davenport) or out of form (Mauresmo, Serena).
She has no pressure due to her personal life because she has said it would be her last year on tour (which we'll wait and see if it's true and I highly doubt it).
She has no pressure coming from the Aussie crowd since she has backed up Hewitt about his injuries out of nowhere (why she hasn't said anything before about him until this very moment, I have no idea).
So there is your AO champ: Clijsters"

If she is not doing this on purpose then I assume she is as dumb as a pig!!!

Slumpsova
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:50 AM
well even pig might be smarter than you, i supposed.

xin_hui
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
This is absolutely just ridiculous.

Clijsters does this before every grand slam. One year it was the retirement talk, one year it was the "hey my hip is injured, yet I can play, run, do the splits" talk, one year it was "Justine is the favourite" talk, one year it was the "I am not interested, but I am playing" talk.

Now this is really incredible because the players she cannot beat are either out (Justine, Venus, Davenport) or out of form (Serena, Mauresmo). Only Maria is playing and she beat Maria 10 days ago in straight sets. She saved MP to beat the current inform player, Jankovic.

So as much as I don't want her to win the AO, all the signs show that she is the heavy heavy favourite by miles.

I wrote this in another thread this a couple of days ago:
"I think only an in-form Maria can stop Clijsters. Clijsters is definetely the favourite.
She has no pressure on the court because her main rivals are either out(Justine, Venus, Davenport) or out of form (Mauresmo, Serena).
She has no pressure due to her personal life because she has said it would be her last year on tour (which we'll wait and see if it's true and I highly doubt it).
She has no pressure coming from the Aussie crowd since she has backed up Hewitt about his injuries out of nowhere (why she hasn't said anything before about him until this very moment, I have no idea).
So there is your AO champ: Clijsters"

If she is not doing this on purpose then I assume she is as dumb as a pig!!!

before you launch a verbal attack on someone, calling her dumb (makes yourself look dumb actually), please look at the question she was posed:

Q. Who do you think is favored this week?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Maria's playing -- she always plays well here. She's very good I think also in playing in the heat. This kind of Australian atmosphere, I think she enjoys that. She's playing well. She always is capable of doing a little bit more I think when it gets close, when it gets really important. That's why she's such a great champion.
Again, Amélie, as well. She likes the higher bounce here on this kind of surface. After winning here last year, I think she definitely believes that this is a good chance for her. She's a great player, as well. I think she's shown over the last couple years how good she is and how much she's even improved over the last couple of years.
I think those two are definitely up there. I'm not going to name myself (smiling). But, you know, there's a lot of girls who are not very -- people don't really see as winning the whole thing, but can make it very tough on a lot of top players. There's a lot of those.
So you never know. Anything could happen on the day. Just have to try to be really focused and be ready for each match to be tough.

she named amelie and maria as favorites. no problems with that, i suppose. and if you read carefully, she never counted herself out. she just didnt want to boast. who goes around trumpeting "I'm a favorite, you know" :rolleyes: if she had done that, people here would also turn on her, saying she's arrogant, no?

Shimizu Amon
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM
She's being too modest. She's definitely a contender.

Geertvg
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I read the article in Dutch, and it's more Clijsters trying to no put all pressure on herself. She's already won the AO in Belgium, she's the player to beat and it'll be easy.... And she's right, Mauresmo and Sharapova are a favourite too, she's not the only contender.

She siad btw "I'm not a favourite" instead of "I'm not a contender" , I think that is a big difference :)

rockstar
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
well, that comment is a hell lot more acceptable than leanne baker (or some other kiwi) thinking that she can win wimbledon :tape:

wateva
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
omg... some people here just pick on every little detail. :rolleyes:
i guess when u hate someone, nothing he or she does is ever correct. :o
grow up people. :ras:

MistyGrey
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
:lol: KIM!

Win the title!!:bounce: