PDA

View Full Version : About Serena.

starred06
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I am not a Serena or the Williams sisters fan.

Remember last year when the Williams sisters were withdrawing from every tournaments, everyone was so anxious about seeing them to play again. There were almost 100 new articles everyday about how pathetic that the tour would lose 2 talented tennis players. Chris Evert even wrote an "open letter" to Serena.

Now Serena is back, but just after 3 matches, everyone rushes to give his/her most negative and pessimistic comments about her form. Isn't it too premature to make prophecy or predictions about Serena's future (would be doomed)? Stranger things have happened in tennis and Serena is no Dokic or Stevenson.

My point is, I don't see why the same people who demanded her to play are now trying to make her quit by keep discouraging her. Although I suspect any of these comments will affect Serena, I do want to point out that she should earn props for her recent actions.

Nobody should disagree that Serena is a dignified person. Coming out to play a Tier IV tournament (and risking to lose) already showed her determination to get back in form. She also bothered to pick up a new racquet, and abandoned the racquet that has got her through titles to titles. It shows that she is prepared to make changes to her game and herself.

Concerning about her weight and body size. I do agree that her size is above the appropriate level of fitness she should have. But as people grow older your body would just become easier to grow meat and accumulate fat because your metabolism rate slows down. And by observing the size of her parents (doesn't everyone notice that both Oracene and Richard are super-sized? I mean this the best possible way), it may be in her genes that her size would get bigger. It would be irrelevant to compare her weight at the presence with her weight when she was 16. I also don't see how adapting a Hollywood-style diet and lose weight dramatically in a short period of time would benefit her body. She is an athelete and any changes to her body should be taken with significance care and awareness. The adverse effect of losing weight dramatically is permanent damage to body functions and stamina, Hantuchova would be an example.

I am not sure whether she will get deep into the tournament this time in AO. She may yet to find her winning form. However, a 6-0 set against an in-form Mauresmo in US Open last year made me firmly believe that, Serena is still capable of drawing some major blood before going down on the battlefield. You don't need the wishful thinking that she would win a Grand Slam immediately, but just don't count her out yet.

starin
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Good Post. I agree 100% Serena should definetly be given props for FINALLY showing some commitment to the game again. She played tier IV and lost early. That shows she's willing to work on her game. As for the media, they always have something negative to say. The media spews out negativity because we like to glut ourselves on it. People were all over Serena last year for not playing. And now that she is playing? and at a tier IV no less people are condemning her and saying that she's over and she should basically retire (i'm looking at you Pat Cash). Serena has a long way to go. And i'm stilly iffy about whether she'll make it. Also, has anyone noticed that Sharapova has been saying the same things Serena was saying when she was doimnating. I remember hearing Sharapova saying she could understand what Serena was diong last year cuz she has 7 grand slams (the way she said it made it sound like she wanted to follow in Serena's footsteps) and just recently she said she could see herself retiring at 24 like Clijsters. I say watch out. If Sharapova wins a bunch of slams in the next few years she might leave the game early.

winone23
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM
That was a very good post and every thing you said was true!!! Serena is making changes because she is trying to make her way back to the top. The fact that she made those changes and is playing indicates she is ready to battle it out on the court and not just in the media with talk.