PDA

View Full Version : Who says the WTA don't need the WS.

GQGuy1
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I mean look at all of these articles being written about the WS mainly Serena and these same people use to say the WS were bad for tennis. I just don't get it. Either you want them to play or you don't and where are all the article about players who were suppose to take over when the WS are gone. Like Nicole, Anna, Maria S, Maria K, Jelena, and others. Face it none of those girls are intersting enough to make front page news like the WS everytime a GS rolls around.:worship:

GoDominique
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Oh believe me, these girls will make frontpage news once we reach the second week of the Australian Open.

Serena will be back home then, but she's still interesting enough for some pre-tournament stories. :)

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:14 AM
The tour is thriving. The 2009 roadmap is all about bringing more money into the WTA.
It's going to thrive even with no US players being seeded at majors.
Thrive for decades and decades.

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
And who cares about a few online articles? You think the Indianapolis Star is going to lead their sports section tomorrow with a tennis story?

Paneru
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:29 AM
WTA/Experts/Players regarding the Williams'

1. Laughed at Richard's predictions for his daughters.
2. Girls treated with distain by the players upon arrival.
3. Cut at the Sister's dominance as bad for tennis when
Richard's predictions came true and they ate crow.
4. Ridiculed the Sister's for not caring about tennis.
5. Jumped on the bandwagon in 05' when they ate crow
once more.
6. Think Sister's are over and rejoicing in it by ripping them
at each and every turn.

Conclusion: Forked-tounged people who'll never let the Sister's
win by their standards having found the negative in every positive.

Thank the Lord that their parents raised two well-rounded and
toughed skinned girls to withstand all that is thrown their way.

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM
The USTA keeps saying that tennis in America is doing great. The USO had record crowds and profits.
Outside the US, tennis has never been healthier. It's expanding into China, Dubai and Doha in a big way.

The players are irrelevant. Someone will win the majors, and they will get attention, the way Sharapova does now.
When she retires, someone else will get the media coverage.

The sport is much, much, much bigger than any player.

Paneru
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:41 AM
The USTA keeps saying that tennis in America is doing great. The USO had record crowds and profits.
Outside the US, tennis has never been healthier. It's expanding into China, Dubai and Doha in a big way.

The players are irrelevant. Someone will win the majors, and they will get attention, the way Sharapova does now.
When she retires, someone else will get the media coverage.

The sport is much, much, much bigger than any player.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What planet are you living on?

This is an individual sport based on individual
players and their personalities.

Tennis isn't football, soccer, basketball, ect...
with built in generations of team loyalist.

This sport as are all sports today is about money
and who brings it in. No Sisters, Anna, or Maria
and I garuntee the amount of attention and interest
globally in this sport with the WTA would have been
considerably lower of the past 7-10 years.

Ask the layman who won 04' RG & USO and
then tell me that individual players don't matter.

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM
You are nuts. This sport is thriving, big time. Prizemoney is going up and up.
It doesn't matter who the players are. Mauresmo and JHH won 3 majors.
The tour is fine with that. Those are the 2 POY's.

Keep dreaming.

Brooklyn90
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM
You are nuts. This sport is thriving, big time. Prizemoney is going up and up.
It doesn't matter who the players are. Mauresmo and JHH won 3 majors.
The tour is fine with that. Those are the 2 POY's.

Keep dreaming.

none of the have the star power of the Williams Sisters. Not even Sharapova

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Who cares what you think star power is? If the sisters weren't at the AO, it wouldn't change anything.
It doesn't change anything that the world #1 isn't there.

I don't see Sharapova fans spamming GM today. There are plenty of Sharapova articles online.

Even if Sharapova wasn't there, this major would be fine. ESPN is televising it, no matter who's playing.
So are plenty of other networks around the world.

Brooklyn90
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Who cares what you think star power is? If the sisters weren't at the AO, it wouldn't change anything.
It doesn't change anything that the world #1 isn't there.

I don't see Sharapova fans spamming GM today. There are plenty of Sharapova articles online.

Even if Sharapova wasn't there, this major would be fine. ESPN is televising it, no matter who's playing.
So are plenty of other networks around the world.

But they wouldn't get big rating, and that's fact!!!

morningglory
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
We--ll there's always Masha to do the publicity in their stead you know... and Masha makes plenty of commercials...

goldenlox is part right but of course the other part is: even if the tour does fine, it could do even better if there are more popular figures on it. Venus and Serena have done that, also because partly the USA needs a homegrown champion, and as much as goldenlox would probably hate to admit, the USA still plays a big part in the success of the WTA both because of the money there and other factors. As for getting the public's attention, it's quite frequently proven that the results the player gets are secondary, rather it all comes down to charisma. For example, I can think of some players, who, even if they become #1 and win slams, will not receive the general public's attention, while some players who have accomplished much less, receive public recognition because of their looks...

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
It's not a fact. The USO got ratings based on Agassi.
He's gone, and the ATP tour is fine.
The players come and go.
And the prizemoney keeps going up.

Women's tennis is exploding.
Players like Mirza and Na Li are bringing tennis to huge populations. And when they retire, everything will still be on the upswing.

This is a global sport. People in the US don't want to believe that, but it's true.

2moretogo
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM
And who cares about a few online articles? You think the Indianapolis Star is going to lead their sports section tomorrow with a tennis story?

Yes, if Serena won the AO, maybe if Maria S, and definate no to anyone else!

Bottomline: the WS are enough even to move NFL playoffs from the front page if winning.

cosmoose
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:12 AM
The players come and go.

Players like Mirza and Na Li are bringing tennis to huge populations. And when they retire, everything will still be on the upswing.

This is a global sport. People in the US don't want to believe that, but it's true.

When players like Mirza and Li retire or are no longer competitive, then the interests of those nations will plummet as well.
Indians and Chinese are no different than Americans. When one of their own is doing well, they'll support the sport by buying tix, watching tv coverage. etc. When their chosens ones starts to fail, they'll shift their attention somewhere else.
Btw, is tennis exploding in popularity in Germany without Becker and Graf? don't think so.
Tennis is relatively popular globally. But nowhere is it the first choice.

As for WTA doing so well in Dubai, Doha, and middle east. I would advise caution. Those oil shieks have so much money, they spend it freely on their hobby....until they find a new hobby.
Sheik Maktoum started A1 grand prix on a whim and the league lost over 200 million first year. Second year, he bailed...probably to his next hobby.
Despite all the money spent on Dubai open or Bahrain GP etc., doesn't mean average Arab cares about those sports.
Besides, tennis is very hard to play wearing a burka. :D

kittyking
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Theres plenty of interesting people with tennis;

Ana Ivanovic and Daniella Hantuchova are the hot babes off off the Sony Ericsson ads
Maria Sharapova has recently signed a major deal with PepsiCo
On top of that Justine Henin Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Martina Hingis and Amelie Mauresmo are becoming very recognizable people around the world.

WTA is in great shape at the moment, I just hope that they wont start copying ATP too much or it may become far less interesting

kittyking
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:24 AM
When players like Mirza and Li retire or are no longer competitive, then the interests of those nations will plummet as well.
Indians and Chinese are no different than Americans. When one of their own is doing well, they'll support the sport by buying tix, watching tv coverage. etc. When their chosens ones starts to fail, they'll shift their attention somewhere else.
Btw, is tennis exploding in popularity in Germany without Becker and Graf? don't think so.
Tennis is relatively popular globally. But nowhere is it the first choice.

As for WTA doing so well in Dubai, Doha, and middle east. I would advise caution. Those oil shieks have so much money, they spend it freely on their hobby....until they find a new hobby.
Sheik Maktoum started A1 grand prix on a whim and the league lost over 200 million first year. Second year, he bailed...probably to his next hobby.
Despite all the money spent on Dubai open or Bahrain GP etc., doesn't mean average Arab cares about those sports.
Besides, tennis is very hard to play wearing a burka. :D

Sania Mirza is an icon to many indians, and she doesnt wear a burka :lol:

mykarma
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:52 AM
The players come and go.

:lol::lol::lol:

jazar
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM
tennis is a global sport and not about 2 attention seeking americans

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
tennis is a global sport and not about 2 attention seeking americans
Of course not. Some of these Williams trolls believe their own spam.

davidmario
Apr 1st, 2007, 12:19 AM
Oh believe me, these girls will make frontpage news once we reach the second week of the Australian Open.

Serena will be back home then, but she's still interesting enough for some pre-tournament stories. :)

sry but I just have to LAUGH :haha: :haha: :haha:

youre such a poor guy. I bet you dream of Serena as being your enemy in a streetfight or such a shit.:lol:

frontier
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:26 AM
sour grapes!!!!who cares to watch a final playing safina and say petrova that not a sexy match up.serena and venus can play till they are thirty which is five years from now.they have made more money than a safina will ever dream of.if they retire today they can feed their families for generations.
tennis needs personalities ,the only personalities i see are serena ,venus,henin,kim,momo,pova and hingis the rest are faceless names.
do you think that stadium would be that full if kuzzie was playing petrova,hell no!all those people that came to see today's match knew it was a good match up with plenty of spills and bounds and indeed the match lived up to the billing.wta and fans are happy.this is a dream final for any sponsor.
last year's was the most boring final ever in miami the stadium was almost empty probably because of the way maria treated golovin.
tennis is cyclical maybe in the near future half the tennis players will be chinese.

tonybotz
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:31 AM
Serena IS the WTA tour..the rest of the girls are boring marketing machines who cannot produce the extraordinary shots of Re-Re.

GoDominique
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:39 AM
sry but I just have to LAUGH :haha: :haha: :haha:

youre such a poor guy. I bet you dream of Serena as being your enemy in a streetfight or such a shit.:lol:
That would be a shitty dream indeed.

Meanwhile I laugh at your stupidity. Wasting several hours of your "precious" time (LOL) just to bump a prediction that 95% of the people on this board would have made as well. Oh how miserable.

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM

Serena will be back home then, but she's still interesting enough for some pre-tournament stories. :)Now I see why you delete your posts. Some of them are really dumb.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:02 AM
...I don't see Sharapova fans spamming GM today.

Why would they? :shrug:

anyway, if Women's tennis nose dives in the US, it'll nose dive in the rest of the world. It ain't soccer.

The U.S. has the RICHEST if not biggest market (of course China COULD surpass it in both, but not for a looooooooooong while), so to dismiss the US market out of hand demonstrates very little understanding of the global market place as it relates to sports.

ico4498
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM
the WTA existed BEFORE the sisters and it'll EXIST after the dreaded day their careers end.

the WTA doesn't need the WS, but surely they add to the bottom line.

GoDominique
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Now I see why you delete your posts. Some of them are really dumb.
LOL. You of all people. :lol:

If I were to bump all threads containing BS posts from yours, I wouldn't be finished before both Venus and Serena are retired. And you too, from this board.