PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions for you all !

Martian Jeza
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
When you have a champion, someone you call your fave n°1 , why do you feel the need cheering also for her rivals ? Loyalty 0/10 at my opinion. You don't need to support her rivals.

Why some people here have at least 3 top 15 players in their signatures ? One isn't enough ? Those people, I name them plain and simple : glory hunters.

Look, I like Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Misa Krajicek and Agnes Szavay but I can call me fan of only one player : Martina Hingis ! You can "like" other players but calling you fan of several players isn't credible at all.

No hatred, personnal attacks, insults in this thread : thx in advance as I want to keep this thread serious.

Tennis-Chick
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Why can you not be a fan of several players? You can be a fan of two or more top music bands, and want them all to get no.1 in the charts.

Paul.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
When you have a champion, someone you call your fave n°1 , why do you feel the need cheering also for her rivals ? Loyalty 0/10 at my opinion. You don't need to support her rivals.

Why some people here have at least 3 top 15 players in their signatures ? One isn't enough ? Those people, I name them plain and simple : glory hunters.

Look, I like Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Misa Krajicek and Agnes Szavay but I can call me fan of only one player : Martina Hingis ! You can "like" other players but calling you fan of several players isn't credible at all.

No hatred, personnal attacks, insults in this thread : thx in advance as I want to keep this thread serious.

This thread is asking for shit, sorry to say :lol:

I don't really understand where you are coming from at all. You can be a fan of as many players as you want. There is no law in human nature that says you can only feel for one player.

My favourite is Pierce, but I am a fan of loads of other players, Jie to name one.

When you say "it isn't credible to be a fan of more than one player" what do you mean? It isn't credible to who? Because I'm not a fan of Mary Pierce for any kind of credit - I just like her....

How do you know that people don't have one true fave? They might have a few in the sig but they might like one more than the other.

You have more than one in your sig :lol:

I really don't get this thread. Why are you offended by people having lots of players that they like? Who really cares? :shrug:

henmanhill
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Another pointless thread - especially as you have several players in your signature.

Derek.
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I think you can be a fan of more than one player.

But your fanship is just stronger.

Like I'm a huge fan of Hantuchova, Vaidisova, and Wozniacki.

But I'm also a reasonably big fan of Cibulkova, Pavlyuchenkova, Azarenka, Olaru and a few others.

I mean I've heard this debate before.

We all have different ways of seeing things. :)

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
You can like more than 1 player, and be a fan of them! I mean obviously you will most likely be a bigger fan of one of them, but it doesn't mean you can't be a fan of other players too. I mean, you (hopefully) have more than 1 friend, right? Usually you have a best friend, and then some other close friends, and then some colleagues who you get on with, but aren't really close with. So...the same for tennis, you can have your 1 big fave, then some others who you are also a fan of, and then some players who you like but aren't necessarily a fan of. I don't see why it's a problem?

I mean, you know for me, Misa's #1, but I consider myself still a fan of the other Dutch players and of Klara, Alicia, Patty, Kim and Amelie...and then there are quite alot of other players who I like, but don't necessarily follow them every tourney and stuff...

and I have 3 from the top 15 (Kim, Amelie and Patty) in my top 6 players - does it make me a glory hunter when I was following these girls since they started on tour and weren't even top 100? That's stupid Jeremie! Come on! I was following Patty when she had to qualify for AO, I was following Kim since the first time she played AO, and well I started to follow Amelie when she made the final of the AO ages ago! And with Klara I started to follow her the year that she beat Seles at AO, but not because she beat Seles, but because a friend went to some of her matches at quallies and I went too, and of course I support Alicia because well - I have to support 1 Aussie :angel: Nah, Leesh is :cool: And I was also supporting her when she was still playing challengers.

Derek.
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Another pointless thread - especially as you have several players in your signature.

No, he said he was only a fan of Hingis, but he the other players he only "likes". :wavey:

henmanhill
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
No, he said he was only a fan of Hingis, but he the other players he only "likes". :wavey:
How does he know other people with several names in their signatures don't have one player that they support above the others? :kiss:

Martian Stacey
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
If you're a true tennis fan then its stupid if you're only a fan of one player. If you really appreciate the game then it seems logical to admire more than one player. Most people do have a player that they like the most, but there is nothing wrong with supporting other players as well. It would get pretty boring only supporting one player, what do you do for the rest of the tournament if your fav loses early? :lol:

I don't understand what your claim here is... I don't see the difference between "liking" other players as you put it, and being a "fan" of other players. To me they mean the same thing :shrug:

Derek.
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:09 AM
How does he know other people with several names in their signatures don't have one player that they support above the others? :kiss:

I don't know what you are talking about, but all I was referring to was how you said he has several players in his sig, but he explained that in the first post. :unsure:

star
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I don't have one main favorite player...does that mean I'm not a fan of any? People are different, I don't see why it should have to be one certain way.

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
That's like saying you can only love one child. Or that you have to love one child more than other.

What about peeps who loved Martina Hingis? After she retired, according to your thinking, they'd be free to have another favorite- but what about her unexpected return? According to your warped logic, whomever they loved in her absence they now have to abandon, or they can't go back to liking Hingis...haha.

To some extent, I get what you're saying. I think it's tricky to have an equal amount of love for two players. You tend to support one more than the others. It's highly unlikely that you're simply indifferent when your two favorites meet. Usually there will be one you're rooting for more than the other. But having an ultimate favorite doesn't mean that you can't support anyone else on tour because the other players on tour are their rivals.

I have mad love for all the players in my signature. And when Steffi was playing I was truly conflicted when she played Serena. I'm a little less conflicted but if Serena were to play Kim in this year Australian Final. I really could make a good case for wanting both to win. Being that this is Kim's last year on tour it makes it tricky. But at the end of the day my feelings for both Serena and Kim are genuine. I think most people have one player that like above all the others and a list of players they support and cheer for, as long as that player doens't play their favorite. That's at least how it works for me.

With as many injuries and pull-outs that the tour has, things would be a lot less interesting following the sport without anyone to cheer for.

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
That's like saying you can only love one child. Or that you have to love one child more than other.

What about peeps who loved Martina Hingis? After she retired, according to your thinking, they'd be free to have another favorite- but what about her unexpected return? According to your warped logic, whomever they loved in her absence they now have to abandon, or they can't go back to liking Hingis...haha.

To some extent, I get what you're saying. I think it's tricky to have an equal amount of love for two players. You tend to support one more than the others. It's highly unlikely that you're simply indifferent when your two favorites meet. Usually there will be one you're rooting for more than the other. But having an ultimate favorite doesn't mean that you can't support anyone else on tour because the other players on tour are their rivals.

I have mad love for all the players in my signature. And when Steffi was playing I was truly conflicted when she played Serena. I'm a little less conflicted but if Serena were to play Kim in this year Australian Final. I really could make a good case for wanting both to win. Being that this is Kim's last year on tour it makes it tricky. But at the end of the day my feelings for both Serena and Kim are genuine. I think most people have one player that like above all the others and a list of players they support and cheer for, as long as that player doens't play their favorite. That's at least how it works for me.

With as many injuries and pull-outs that the tour has, things would be a lot less interesting following the sport without anyone to cheer for.

:yeah: Exactly!

henmanhill
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I don't know what you are talking about, but all I was referring to was how you said he has several players in his sig, but he explained that in the first post. :unsure:

Whatever!

hablo
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM
If you're a true tennis fan then its stupid if you're only a fan of one player. If you really appreciate the game then it seems logical to admire more than one player. Most people do have a player that they like the most, but there is nothing wrong with supporting other players as well. It would get pretty boring only supporting one player, what do you do for the rest of the tournament if your fav loses early? :lol:

I don't understand what your claim here is... I don't see the difference between "liking" other players as you put it, and being a "fan" of other players. To me they mean the same thing :shrug:

Good point.

And when your one favourite retires (Hingis), does this mean you stop following tennis as well, Jérémie ? Nonesense.

tennisfreak15150
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM
This thread is asking for shit, sorry to say :lol:

My favourite is Pierce, but I am a fan of loads of other players, Jie to name one.

When you say "it isn't credible to be a fan of more than one player" what do you mean? It isn't credible to who?

:shrug:

Yeah, but what if Mary plays Jie, you would probably
root for Mary.
And now I'm asking you: Would a true credible fan of
a player really root for her opponent?
I am a big Lindsay fan and I like Vera a lot, but if they
had to play each other, it would be clear for me that I
support Linds
So I would never call me a Vera-Fan.

I guess I got your point, Martian Jeza

Paul.
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:33 AM
root for Mary.
support Linds

yeah, i would support mary, but im still a fan of Jie.

fan is short for "fanatic" and the definition is "marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea"

i follow every single one of Jie's matches (enthusiasm), I blog for her (devotion) and love to watch her too. when she loses i get genuinely upset.

im still a fan of Jie's, so what if i would rather mary won against her :shrug: im still a "true fan"

but back to my other point....... who cares? :shrug:

if you dont think im a true fan then im not really bothered because i know i am :)

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
root for Mary.
support Linds

But if Vera played anyone other than Lindsay, you'd root for Vera right? That would make you a Vera fan too - just not as big a fan as Lindsay. Who says that as a fan you have to root for someone in every single match?

miffedmax
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Elena D. is a goddess.

The rest are just tennis players.

Привет
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Exactly! I agree with the part I bolded, Maria is my first and foremost, but I'd get so bored only following her, I don't understand what Martian Jeza is getting at. Like am I breaking a law or something by following more than one player? Am I no longer credible as a fan of Maria? Does it matter whether I'm considered by others as a fan of Maria? Do I give a fuck? :confused:

I really don't understand your thinking here Martian Jeza, but you have a great avatar! :cool:

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Elena D. is a goddess.

:spit: :p

tennisfreak15150
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:02 AM

fan is short for "fanatic" and the definition is "marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea"

i follow every single one of Jie's matches (enthusiasm), I blog for her (devotion) and love to watch her too. when she loses i get genuinely upset.

im still a fan of Jie's, so what if i would rather mary won against her :shrug: im still a "true fan"

if you dont think im a true fan then im not really bothered because i know i am :)

I guess, it's all a definition thing.
For me, one of the most important attribute of being
a fan of a player is loyality.
And there is no loyality when you root for another player.
But your definition of "fan" also fits.
And honestly said the question,
whether we are fans or only people who like players isnt
that important :D

new-york
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM
basically, i think that the logical behaviour would be to appreciate anyone procuding great shots.

but we put feelings in every story, several players can touch you, be a pleasure to watch, look nice to you. so we decide support them.
random.

what is loyalty?
if you don't want to support someone anymore, whatever.
if you want to support some others, whatever.
as long as you can handle not being the best fan around.

we select someone that we'll specifically follow, sometimes our eyes will find another shotmaking target. sometimes the new overshadow our initial fav, sometimes we have another fav.

i don't know why there should be rules as if it really was important.
as long as you respect everybody & manage to take it as lighty as sport should be taken.

they hit, we like, we shout their names. beautiful entertainement. let's not try to put bareers here, we pretty much already have to deal with some in the serious part of our lives.

lolz.

jujufreak
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM

are you a real fan if you sometimes hope Jie will lose? It's just a matter of where you draw the line between being a fan and liking a player, I guess :)

Paul.

:yeah: when threads like this are created, we know that we are looking too deeply into tennis :lol:

let's just appreciate it for what it is and support whoever the hell we want :)

LudwigDvorak
Elena D. is a goddess.

Take me now.

Paul.
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
are you a real fan if you sometimes hope Jie will lose? It's just a matter of where you draw the line between being a fan and liking a player, I guess :)

in my opinion, i am still a Jie Zheng fanatic because of the reasons i stated above. (btw, i got that definition from an online dictionary :p:lol: )

like, im a huge fan of chocolate cake, but it doesnt mean thats the only food i am allowed to eat to satisfy the term "fan" :lol: or im a huge fan of the killers but it doesnt mean im not a fan if i listen to a different CD.

tennisfreak15150
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM
:yeah: when threads like this are created, we know that we are looking too deeply into tennis :lol:

let's just appreciate it for what it is and support whoever the hell we want :)

Exactly :wavey:

jujufreak
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM

I fully agree :)

miffedmax
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Also, due to the tournament schedule, you can have two or three tournaments going on during the same week. I can root for Lena D. in one, and for Nastya in another, and Venus or Masha or somebody else in the third.

But like most fans, I have a list.

I'm posting a lot because North Texas is totally iced in, the kids are at the exes, the party I was supposed to go to got cancelled and I'm board.

But it's nice to talk tennis.

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM

But there are differing degrees of loyalty. I mean you can love someone so much that you would die to b without them - that's loyalty. But then so is cheering for someone most of the time in a tennis match. :shrug:

The Daviator
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Well I only had one true favouite, but she's done now :sad:
I like the others in my sig, but I not a fanboy with them like I was with Linds :haha:

Anyway, I don't have a problem with anyone having loads of players in their sig, unless their sig reads...

'Sharapova :hearts: Henin-Hardenne :hearts: Mauresmo :hearts: Clijsters :hearts: Venus :hearts: Serena :hearts: Hingis :hearts: Kuznetsova :hearts: Dementieva :hearts: Pierce :hearts: Myskina :hearts: '

:weirdo:

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Good point.

And when your one favourite retires (Hingis), does this mean you stop following tennis as well, Jérémie ? Nonesense.

I won't stop following tennis. I know one day or another Martina Hingis will be for good out of the tennis world. I like some other players but the word "fan" will 4-Ever apply to Martina Hingis, not to other players. I like Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova, Maria Kirilenko, Misa Krajicek and Agnes Szavay but I will never call me a fan of them : I appreciate them very much but it stops there.

Paul.
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Anyway, I don't have a problem with anyone having loads of players in their sig, unless their sig reads...

'Sharapova :hearts: Henin-Hardenne :hearts: Mauresmo :hearts: Clijsters :hearts: Venus :hearts: Serena :hearts: Hingis :hearts: Kuznetsova :hearts: Dementieva :hearts: Pierce :hearts: Myskina '

all the big names?

they would have all of the slam winners since myskina won roland garros :lol: only hingis and pierce who werent in the chain :lol:

it kinda annoys me when they have all the pretty ones. so its kinda like

:hearts: ana :hearts: dani :hearts: masha :hearts: makiri :hearts: nicole :hearts: tati :hearts: elena :hearts:

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I won't stop following tennis. I know one day or another Martina Hingis will be for good out of the tennis world. I like some other players but the word "fan" will 4-Ever apply to Martina Hingis, not to other players. I like Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova, Maria Kirilenko, Misa Krajicek and Agnes Szavay but I will never call me a fan of them : I appreciate them very much but it stops there.

but then it depends how you see the word "fan". Hmm technically I'm no longer just a "fan" of Misa... :lol: Maybe I need to find someone else to be a fan of? :p

The Daviator
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
all the big names?

they would have all of the slam winners since myskina won roland garros :lol: only hingis and pierce who werent in the chain :lol:

it kinda annoys me when they have all the pretty ones. so its kinda like

:hearts: ana :hearts: dani :hearts: masha :hearts: makiri :hearts: nicole :hearts: tati :hearts: elena :hearts:

Well that's every active Slam champ :p and Elena D :lol:

Martian Stacey
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:37 AM
That's just different interpretation of the word "fan". To me it would seem you are a fan of all those players, but obviously you are a bigger fan of Martina and would cheer for her above the others.

Joana
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Get a grip. Those are professional tennis players, not your children, friends or spouses. How many faves people want to have is of nobody's business but their own.

PLP
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I feel that I am fairly obsessed with tennis and so for me, it definitely makes sense that I have many favs, but yes, there are varying degrees! I totally respect posters that truly only have 1 fav! Though I have many :lol:

Still, I could never root against Martina! :hearts:

Привет
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Get a grip. Those are professional tennis players, not your children, friends or spouses. How many faves people want to have is of nobody's business but their own.

:worship: :yeah:

And anyone who has a problem with my favourites being the "pretty girls" can go get help if it's such a big problem for them. :wavey: :tape:

Anyone can support whoever they like, this thread is beginning to seem pointless to me, or maybe it was at the start. Joana is right, who people want to support is their own business, everyone else should just get over it.

AJZ.
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:09 AM
I just love Ai so much, I follow her the most.
But then I follow Jie a little less.
And then the rest, like a snowball that gets smaller.
I enjoy their tennis, pure and simple, and like their personalities for the most part :)

bmwofoz
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I've been watching Tennis for many years, and while Jennifer Capriati is my outright favorite, as a Tennis fan there are many players that I enjoy watching.

I can list a number of players I've enjoyed watching from Steffi Graf > Maria Sharaprova I feel that the key to enjoying the Sport of Tennis is the wide range of different personalities and playing styles.

I agree with your post, except I feel the point of question is how can you be a true fan to so many, when in most sports you only have one team.

Justine Fan
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:38 AM

:haha: :haha: :yeah:

I love it when Martian (aka Jeremy) calls everyone "Glory Hunters" because they support more than one player :haha: It's a very, very :cuckoo: way of thinking.

Perhaps he thinks he's being disloyal to Martina if he supports someone else as well? So in his head he's in a relationship with her? :shrug: How :cuckoo:

I wonder if he's this possessive in his personal relationships? :scratch:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM

so whats gonna happen when Ana becomes a top player
you suddenly gonna HATE her :o :lol:

Dexter
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I love it when Martian (aka Jeremy) calls everyone "Glory Hunters" because they support more than one player :haha: It's a very, very :cuckoo: way of thinking.

Perhaps he thinks he's being disloyal to Martina if he supports someone else as well? So in his head he's in a relationship with her? :shrug: How :cuckoo:

I wonder if he's this possessive in his personal relationships? :scratch::tape: :help:

thomas.chung
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I am a fan of Serena, Maria, Justine and Hingis, and a few others. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is not like they are asking you to marry them right?

Erika_Angel
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I don't see a problem with people being fans of numerous players. They may have one or two players who are their top no.1 players, but they can like other players and still call themselves fans.

I have to agree though, with someone a few posts up, that it is a bit amusing when someone is a fan of all (& only) the conventionally attractive girls ;) :lol:

CooCooCachoo
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM

That must have hit home there :angel:

papru
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
who the heck cares? :o
everybody can like as many players as they want to :o
whats the point? pfff...

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM

You got it completly wrong ! Better luck next time, I guess.

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM

I wonder if he's this possessive in his personal relationships? :scratch:

Yet again a very dumb reaction from you : It musts me a Justine Fan trademark.

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
so whats gonna happen when Ana becomes a top player
you suddenly gonna HATE her :o :lol:

Not at all Russian Scouser : I only point the fact you can't be fan of several players at the same time : it's ridiculous and not credible at all.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Not at all Russian Scouser : I only point the fact you can't be fan of several players at the same time : it's ridiculous and not credible at all.

tennis isnt like football where you have one team
but you change teams as often as you change your underwear :lol:.

tennis is completly diff, you have new players all the time, old ones going.
all the ones i like i've been following them since they were in juniors :p

Justine Fan
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM
This is the guy who wonders why he's not chosen to be a mod! :haha: :haha:

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM
tennis isnt like football where you have one team
but you change teams as often as you change your underwear :lol:.

tennis is completly diff, you have new players all the time, old ones going.
all the ones i like i've been following them since they were in juniors :p

This is why I'm fan of Chelsea FC since 10 years :rolleyes: Loyalty and Devotion are the keywords of a TRUE fan.

DutchieGirl
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Maybe to YOU it's ridiculous and not credible, but in tennis there are over 1000 players, it's not like a soccer competition where there's maybe 20 teams...

Justine Fan
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM
This is why I'm fan of Chelsea FC since 10 years :rolleyes: Loyalty and Devotion are the keywords of a TRUE fan.

So?

Where has it gotten you?

Perhaps you should put your loyalty and devotion into something real and something that will give you loyalty and devotion back, then perhaps you won't be so angry with life and be so bitter. :D

cecilija
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Coming from the guy who was a Justine fan not so long ago. :tape: :lol:

daniela86
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I agree with you :yeah: and I think you are wrong Jeremie.
First of all, most of people who support several players,have a number 1 whom they like the most like you like Martina and support other players but not as much as their favourite.I don't see anything wrong about it.
Then,some people actually support the top players coz they like watching tennis and cheer for players with attractive games and not coz they look good.As the top players have in general great games to watch,it's normal some people support one,two or three top players :shrug:
And btw,tennis is just a sport that some people don't take as seriously as you :shrug: so they don't have to prove their loyalty and have a passionate love for their faves.

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Coming from the guy who was a Justine fan not so long ago. :tape: :lol:

Me :confused: I've NEVER been a JHH fan :cuckoo:

Kart
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM

You might have had better luck at that if you hadn't questioned everyone's loyalty and labelled them glory hunters in your first two sentences of this thread.

Personally, I think it's human nature to like more than one person so I don't see why that can't be translated to players as well.

Epigone
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Look, I like Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Misa Krajicek and Agnes Szavay but I can call me fan of only one player : Martina Hingis ! You can "like" other players but calling you fan of several players isn't credible at all.How many former/current top 15 players are listed in your sig? Isn't one enough? :silly:

You satisfy your own definition of a "glory hunter". If you weren't a glory hunter, then you'd only have Martina's name in your sig :shrug:No hatred, personnal attacks, insults in this thread : thx in advance as I want to keep this thread serious.Keep it serious? :lol:

You labelled those who don't fit your warped definition of the word "fan" as "glory hunters" (while contradicting yourself in the process) and then issued a "play nice" plea.

Thanks for the laugh :wavey:

If you want to use Martina Hingis to fill some giant void in your life, then you are free to do so :unsure:. I cheer for one player above all, but I see no problem in cheering for other players as well. Different players bring different styles of tennis to the table, so why should I limit myself to supporting one player/style of play?

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Wow!

Thanks for that stunning display of attempting to dictate to others of "how to be a fan of professional tennis."

We really didn't need anyone telling us "how to be a fan of professional tennis," but if it made you feel better, then............

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Oh great leader of the hunt for "glory hunters"..........

We've missed your "glory hunter" threads. Why 'ya been hiding? Huh?

sapir1434
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I love tennis, and only then - I love my fav players. This is why I don't cheer for only one player, I cheer for much more, and much more than the ones you see in my sig.

égalité
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hingis and Vaidisova are my favorites. If they have to play each other, then I'll root for Hingis (probably :unsure: ), but I'm fans of both. There are other players that I like, but these two are far ahead of everyone else. I don't see what's so weird about that :shrug:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I can't imagine me being only a fan of Kim :shrug: And then what I am supposed to do with other players? Hate on them?
I like many players and I wish them all the best and I don't see a point in having only one player to cheer for :shrug:

Slumpsova
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:34 PM
this is not fair :(

:inlove:
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
:weirdo: :help: That is really a pile of bullshit. :o
If I can only be a fan of Serena, what am I supposed to do the 52 weeks a year she isn't playing?

ViennaCalling
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
And what am I supposed to do 40 weeks in a year when Mary is injured or Tamira isn't playing WTA tournaments?

Привет
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
When 2 of my top favourites play each other, I hope for a good contest and don't pick a favourite to win. Unless it's Maria vs. Other fave, then I will usually want Maria to win, but I still want both players to perform well. For example Sydney this year, Nicole vs Daniela in the first round, I didn't really pick a winner, I wanted a good contest and wanted both of them to fight hard, and whoever won, won.

Viktymise
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Just because im a fan of both Venus and lena doesn't make me less of a fan of either of the 2, we all have our faves for our own reasons and iv been supporting these 2 through most of their careers, in the ups and downs when they play each other i root for the one who needs the victory more, i love them both equally for different reasons

Craigy
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I support a lot of top players. But when it comes down to it, I like 2 of them more than the others ;)

Привет
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Just because im a fan of both Venus and lena doesn't make me less of a fan of either of the 2, we all have our faves for our own reasons and iv been supporting these 2 through most of their careers, in the ups and downs when they play each other i root for the one who needs the victory more, i love them both equally for different reasons

I am the same, like I wanted Daniela to win in Sydney, because she needed it more. But usually in matches between my favourite players I just hope for a good contest.

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
You might have had better luck at that if you hadn't questioned everyone's loyalty and labelled them glory hunters in your first two sentences of this thread.

Personally, I think it's human nature to like more than one person so I don't see why that can't be translated to players as well.

Yes, I stay with this opinion : People who cheer for at least 3 people from the top 15 are glory hunters. Yes it's a natural thing loving more than one person but only cheering fot top players is a sign of only going for glory : What a "fan" achievement only cheering for top players. :bounce:

Martian Jeza
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:40 PM
:weirdo: :help: That is really a pile of bullshit. :o
If I can only be a fan of Serena, what am I supposed to do the 52 weeks a year she isn't playing?

Watching tennis as neutral ! And following some hot prospects : this is what I did when Martina was out of the tour between 2003 and 2005. Even following those hot prospects I always felt a big miss.

Martina Hingis is a part of my life, a thing words can't explain.

UncleZeke
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Love it that women's tennis is so global and have favs in several countries.

Epigone
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Yes, I stay with this opinion : People who cheer for at least 3 people from the top 15 are glory hunters. Yes it's a natural thing loving more than one person but only cheering fot top players is a sign of only going for glory : What a "fan" achievement only cheering for top players. :bounce::cuckoo:

Before October last year, only one player in my sig was ranked in the top 15. After October, three players in my sig were ranked in the top 15.

Did I suddenly become a glory hunter during October? :confused:

Do I have to stop supporting one of those players to avoid being called a glory hunter? :weirdo:Martina Hingis is a part of my life, a thing words can't explain.Words might not be able to explain it, but :help: just about sums it up :o

Kart
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, I stay with this opinion : People who cheer for at least 3 people from the top 15 are glory hunters. Yes it's a natural thing loving more than one person but only cheering fot top players is a sign of only going for glory : What a "fan" achievement only cheering for top players. :bounce:

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is that there's no point in indicating you're open to debate if you're only interested in enforcing your ideas on others.

:inlove:
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Watching tennis as neutral !

A big part of what makes watching tennis exciting for me is the emotions you feel during a match when a person you are a fan of is playing! Just because I am a huge Serena fan, does not mean I can't have other favorites. I seriously don't understand your point at all. :help:

James
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I like more than one player, I don't really see the problem with that. When they are playing each other, I tend to favour one of the two, but would be happy with any outcome, since I wish them both well. Like today when Yakimova played Pous Tio. I wanted Anastasiya to win a little more, that does not mean that if Laura had won, I would have felt bad. Preferably I would have liked the both of them to get through, but that just could not happen.

Dexter
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, I stay with this opinion : People who cheer for at least 3 people from the top 15 are glory hunters. Yes it's a natural thing loving more than one person but only cheering fot top players is a sign of only going for glory : What a "fan" achievement only cheering for top players. :bounce:Lmfao... you reasoning is so lame :lol:
I started to cheer for Ana when she was welllll outside of the Top150, let alone Top15 :tape: :lol: Same for Aga. I started to cheer for Dinara, Jelena, Masza K & Nicole when they just broke or were about to break Top50... They just happened to be good-enough to break Top15/20 in no time and therefore I'm proud of them :worship: :hearts: :D Actually the only player I started to cheer for when being on the very top was Justine. :shrug: Guess what? I can't wait when all of my faves break Top10... :hearts: How about that? :bounce: :D