PDA

View Full Version : Ruxandra Dragomir-Ilie & Irina Spirlea

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Any idea how thosem two players are doing after their retirement?
Who did you more prefere?

I luved Irina Spirlea and her game. Great one hand BK, was so good and dominant on the net. Still remember her match against Venus at US Open '97. Thats one of my fav. match EVER...

C'mon Romanians, want some feedback...:worship:

égalité
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I dunno, but Spirlea definitely provided the best quote in the history of tennis :rolls:

SHE THINKS SHE'S THE FUCKING VENUS WILLIAMS. It gets funnier everytime I hear it. :haha: :worship:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I liked Ruxanda :wavey:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
BUMP ( no pun intended :lol: ) I use to be a really big fan of Roxie :D She was fierce on clay! :worship: :bounce:

:inlove:
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I didn't like Irina. :o
Ruxandra :rocker: I liked her a lot.

Slumpsova
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
were they a rival?

Vlad Tepes
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I haven't heard anything about Irina Spirlea since her retirement, although it was magnificent to have a top 10 player and I really liked her. Plus that quote was absolutely hilarious :lol:
As for Ruxandra, as far as I know she became a mother and staged some sort of a comeback last year. I think she still plays doubles occasionally.

MistyGrey
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Loved both players. Irina was like a poor man's Steffi (Huge forehand, effective slice backhand, good footwork). I'll remember her for the 97 US Open (win over Seles, loss against Venus)

Dragomir had a great personality. I remember her 97 RG quarter against Majoli. After Iva won, she lied down on the court in celebration and Roxie crossed the net and lied down next to her. It was very sweet. Iva was one of her closest friends on the Tour.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I haven't heard anything about Irina Spirlea since her retirement, although it was magnificent to have a top 10 player and I really liked her. Plus that quote was absolutely hilarious :lol:
As for Ruxandra, as far as I know she became a mother and staged some sort of a comeback last year. I think she still plays doubles occasionally.

What??? Comeback last year? Plays doubless??? :shrug:

She didn't play ANY MATCH, no singles, no doubles, since BERLIN OPEN in 2005. shen she lost 1.round of qualis to Silvija Talaja from Croatia, who si (this is funny) now also mother, and now also retired, and hers best was just three places lower than Ruxandas (15. - 18.). ;) As fo doubles, she just played Roland Garros in 2005. (week after Berlin) and that was her last tournament... :wavey:

Fantastic
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I loved Irina! I imagine she's probably terrorising, I mean, coaching kids somewhere back in Romania or maybe she's taken up a position as a club pro. That, or stripping.

I imagine Ruxandra is taking care of her kid, having more kids, and just taking care of her home. What does Mr. Ilie do?

tommystar
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Spirlea also had a not too loud but interesting affair with Kournikova during US Open 97 as well.
She comlpained that why on earth plays Anna always on Centre Courts as being No. 20+ on the rankings. If she climbes up the rankings to No. 3. behind Hingis and Seles that's ok, but other way...
She (Spirlea) is around the top 15 since several years at that time, and she never was scheduled to the Centre Court.
The perfect answer that Irina beat Kournikova in the 2nd Round in a night match on the Arthur Ashe Stadium! :lol: