PDA

View Full Version : Who will win? Mara or Serena

supergrunt
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:07 PM
This match I suspect will be pretty close. I think that if Serena wins easily though, she will make it farhter in the tournament.

-GenEz.Williams
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
1st to comment..
Serena will win easily..

-sugi-
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Mara in 3 sets.

Highlandman
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Serena 7-5,6-1

Sexysova
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Serena lost to Bammer in Hobart - really surpisingly loss :) Mara in 3 I think :)

Wayn77
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Mara can be a very awkward customer if she keeps the ball in court - suffers from third set chokeritis.
Santangelo in three sets.

hartnett
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Serena In 3

Tenis Srbija
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Tough one... :shrug:

Mara? :)

ivpasqua88
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
mara i think, she almost beated amelie at the usopen, if she is in a good day she can easily win! serena is not feeling great, and she still has to find her game, otherwise she was not going to lose to bammer.
so i say mara in two sets

Derek.
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
It can go either way, IMO.

Santangelo, 6-2 4-6 7-5 or S. Williams, 4-6 6-2 6-4.

K-Dog
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Here's the thing. Serena has NEVER lost in the first round of a major. Second of all, she beat Na Li in worse condition last year in the 1st round. This was the Serena with no real matches under her belt and had just gotten crushed 6-3 6-1 but Elena D. in Hong Kong. Serena was up 6-3 3-1 against Bammer before fatigue and soreness set in. Plus, that was her first tournament in 4 months and with a new racquet. Serena will find a way to win this match.

plantman
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Here's the thing. Serena has NEVER lost in the first round of a major. Second of all, she beat Na Li in worse condition last year in the 1st round. This was the Serena with no real matches under her belt and had just gotten crushed 6-3 6-1 but Elena D. in Hong Kong. Serena was up 6-3 3-1 against Bammer before fatigue and soreness set in. Plus, that was her first tournament in 4 months and with a new racquet. Serena will find a way to win this match.

There's a first time for everything! Serena may not lose this round, but you can bet that FATIQUE, LACK OF MATCH PLAY, NEW RACQUET, FITNESS, are all going to be factors. You can count on it!

Mina Vagante
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
serena EASILY

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Santangelo in 3

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Serena 7-5, 2-6, 6-2

ioni
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Mara in 3 sets !

Lulu.
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Serena

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
serena is one of the few players that can boast that she's never lost in the opening round of a grand slam. and she'll continue that impressive statistic with this match...

piercerocks
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
santangelo hasnt been playing good at the last two tournaments.. look at those results..

Williams 16 64 75

LH2HBH
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
With recent results, Mara looks better going into this match. SOMEHOW though, I believe Serena will find a way through this match.

jazar
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
serena

stkenyi
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Has Mara actually played in 2007 yet???

stkenyi
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I am hoping that Serena will not be as tired because of the day of rest between matches.

égalité
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Mara, more easily than one would expect.

HenryMag.
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Mara in 3 sets

henmanhill
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Serena is well below her best at the moment but there is no way she will let her self go out of a slam in the first round. Mara has ability but she didn't do too well in the latter part of the year. More inportant is Serena's spirit. However difficult the match her pride and her fighting spirit will carry her through.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Ok, NO ONE SAW the Hobart loss, so you REALLY can use that to say how well/poorly she played. :shrug: yeah a loss is a loss, but sometimes you try new things, you're not necessarily doing your best stuff. For all we know, she could have been hitting every backhand w/ slices and 1 handers, and serving-and-volleying. The last match MOST of us saw was the USO loss to Mauremso, and the only thing she did wrong was run out of energy. If she's got that, she'll be fine.

Serena in 2.

MH0861
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Mara had a good 2006, but her beginning of '07 has been pretty suspect. She likes Rebound Ace a lot, but I suspect Serena 7-6 6-2 or something.

-VSR-
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Serena in two sets.

I just have a feeling that Serena is determined to do the best she can. She's going to do well against Santangelo. ;)

Paneru
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Serena 6-2 6-1

maddogz48
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Serena in 2 sets. At Wimby 05, Serena had a bad ankle and she still managed to beat Santangelo in 3 sets, Serena should get past her in 2 (a tight first set, then an easy second):)

dearplastic
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Yes, Serena lost last week, but seriously, people. This is a MAJOR. And Santangelo isn't that friggin' great. Serena in 2, 6-3 6-2. Definitely not 3.

SilK
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Most of you know I really like Serena, but those of you who say Serena will win easily are seriously dellusional. Do you guys even KNOW Mara? Have you seen her play? She is NOT a bad player AT all... and she can play some very inspiring tennis when she's considered the underdog. This is not a good first round for Serena.

PatrickRyan
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:10 AM
they played a tough match at wimbledon in 2005, but Serena is in better shape then their. So im really not sure, but i say serena in two tough sets.

dearplastic
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Most of you know I really like Serena, but those of you who say Serena will win easily are seriously dellusional. Do you guys even KNOW Mara? Have you seen her play? She is NOT a bad player AT all... and she can play some very inspiring tennis when she's considered the underdog. This is not a good first round for Serena.

I think I saw her play Justine at the US Open last year. She sucked.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Most of you know I really like Serena, but those of you who say Serena will win easily are seriously dellusional. Do you guys even KNOW Mara? Have you seen her play? She is NOT a bad player AT all... and she can play some very inspiring tennis when she's considered the underdog. This is not a good first round for Serena.I don't think Serena will ROLL, but I thinks she has the game to handle her in 2. And yeah, when she played her USO matches, she really didn't show me anything SPECTACULAR. :shrug: I mean for SURE she's a GOOD player, but I mean, I don't see her in a GS QF anytime soon.

SilK
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I think I saw her play Justine at the US Open last year. She sucked.

Wow. You saw her play ONE match. Damn, great indicator... :yeah:

BTW, I saw Serena play Tian Tian Sun. She sucked. :rolleyes:

Buitenzorg
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Serena has experience compare to Mara

Serena 4-6 6-1 6-1

SilK
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I don't think Serena will ROLL, but I thinks she has the game to handle her in 2. And yeah, when she played her USO matches, she really didn't show me anything SPECTACULAR. :shrug: I mean for SURE she's a GOOD player, but I mean, I don't see her in a GS QF anytime soon.

Have you ever seen Bammer do anything spectacular. I am saying, with current Serena it will be more of a 'is she, or is she not having a good day' thing. I don't see Serena reach a GS QF anytime soon either. You can no longer expect certain results anymore from 2007 Serena like you could from let's say 02/03 Serena. And as much as I want her to win and am a great fan of her game and love her persona... she has become a complete mockery of the dominating, almost unbeatable and hungry-for-more champion she used to be.

Buitenzorg
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Serena has experience compare to Mara

Serena 4-6 6-1 6-1

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:13 AM
OMG, OMG, OMG! If you didn't SEE the Hobart Bammer match, you know NOTHING about it except for the fact that Serena lost. She she serve and volley? How many times did she come to net? How many winners? Unforced errors? What was her fastest serve speed? Did she spin 'em? Hit 'em flat? Slice 'em?

NO ONE KNOWS....except the people who were there. You can't use a match that NO ONE SAW and talk about how well/poorly prepared she is. You don't even know what she did. :lol: In about 27 hours or so, THEN we all can make judgements about where Serena's game is, because we'll all see.

If she loses (which frankly, I'm prepared for :unsure: ) ok, so be it. At least you can say specific things that she needs work on. But you can't take the state of someone's game and sum it up buy ONE loss? What about the wins over Arvidsson and Safarova? Are they shit players becasue Serena beat them? COME ON?! Players lose ALL the time. And sometimes, to players they "shouldn't" lose to. And yeah, Serena was more than a bit out of line for saying she never heard of Bammer, and that she played the best match of her life (although...has Bammer beaten anyone better? And like I said, how do WE know? Did WE see the match? NO), but it's ONE result.

Save the judgements for tomorrow. I don't doubt that Serena will have a tough road ahead of her, but I think she's shown that she's up to the task, and is willing to do what she needs to do in order to get back to the top of the game.

And you know what, no matter what, people will always doubt Serena or say that her fans are blind, but you know what, NO ONE'S perfect (and that includes you :rolleyes::ras: ) Does your fave poop diamonds? Didn't think so! I know Serena's got work to do, but considering ALL that she's been through, the LEAST you could do as a DECENT human being is offer her some support.

And about all of that talking that she does....if you were once the UNDISPUTED BEST at something, and you weren't anymore, would you focus on the postives and be optimistic, or would you say, "Yeah, even though I helped to revolutionize the game, and I have more majors than anyone else who's playing right now, and I'm one of only 5 women to have all 4 majors at once, those are in the past. I'm washed up now, and I'll never win again."

COME THE FUCK ON! :rolleyes:

Go 'head Ree! Do your thing!

SilK
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:31 AM
NO ONE KNOWS....except the people who were there. You can't use a match that NO ONE SAW and talk about how well/poorly prepared she is. You don't even know what she did. :lol: In about 27 hours or so, THEN we all can make judgements about where Serena's game is, because we'll all see.

Most of the people here have an attitude about them saying "Ol' Mighty Queen of Tennis Serena Mo'Fuckin' Williams" can beat anybody on any day, esspecially players like Santangelo, who is a better player than Bammer.

Where's Serena's game is, is nowhere near the game that made her a real force, a real threath. When you struggle against Safarova and Bammer, there is a very good chance she will be tested by Santangelo.

And hell, it might be better for her as well, because there is one thing Serena doesn't need and that is cake-walk matches at the early stages of a major tournament.

Anyway, point being. A lot of Serena fans on this board have double standards when it comes to 'judging' her fitness. Frankly, it's a completely bunch or horsecrap... :bs: I'm getting tired of all this uptight ignorant motherfuckers that call themselves 'fans' while they are really just obsessed lunatics going around talking out of their ass. There, I said it. :)

The Kaz
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Mara Santangelo 6-2 4-6 6-4

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Oh I don't disagree that some of Serena's fans ONLY see the good and ignore the things she needs to work on. Even in 2002-2003 when she was winning almost EVERYTHING, I STILL thought there was stuff she needed to work on, but as opposed to being a stickler about the few negs, I stuck to the positives.

Same thing applies. If you read my posts, it's been consistent that while I haven't ingored Serena's fitness concerns, I've tried to stay positive. And I wholeheartedly believe that if she continues to swallow her pride and work on her match toughness, that she can be where she once was.

And it's funny how you say that only seeing one match from Santangelo is no way to judge how Mara's playing and what she's capable of, well same goes for Serena. In her last 3 tournaments Hobart, USO, and LA She beat Kirilenko, Harkleroad, Shaughnessy, Hantuchova twice, Dominguez-Lino, Ivanovic, Arvidsson and Safarova, and lost to Jankovic, Mauresmo, and Bammer, two of which were in 3 sets.

I hardly see a pattern of Serena losing to "Bammer-esque" players. If ANYTHING the match was a choke, because she was up 4-2 in the second, and was a couple point away from a TB. She's shown that even while not being in the best of shape, she can put together a record worth of a top 20-30 player. And the reason I say that, is because if you take Serena's points = 271 from 4 tournaments and multiply that to get the number from even 12 tourneys, so 271x3 you get 813 which would ACTUALLY put her @ #21 (and that's IF she played at that same level all year). So, I mean, YEAH, Serena's got a LOT of work to do, but I think that she can manage to win over Santangelo.

RJWCapriati
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
S. Williams

6-1, 6-2

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Serena in two.

selyoink
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I can't pick against Serena in this match but I think Mara does have a pretty good chance. I would not be surprised at all if it went three sets.

LucasArg
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Serena in straight sets.

starin
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I picked Serena because even though Serena is playing badly, Satangelo could also be playing badly. I think Santangelo was just knocked out of Hobart, but knocked out in the second round. I remember everyone saying Na Li would probably upset Serena last year and I think that put a lot of pressure on Li and she ended up not playing well and Serena scraped out a win. So here's hoping Santangelo plays like shiet and Serena at least makes it into the second round.

Also...everyone always seems to point to the level of a top players game being the deciding factor. But even if someone like Serena is playing badly if her opponent is playing badly too then Serena could win. Every match has two people in it.

Becool
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM
nena in 3!!!

~Eclipsed~
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Serena - 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

winone23
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Serena in 2

papru
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Mara in 2

le bon vivant
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Gonna be a lot of disappointed people in this thread.

thomas.chung
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I have only seen Mara Santangelo on tv once, against Hingis in Rogers Cup 06 early round. Considering the kind of problem she gave to Hingis during the match with Hingis barely scraped by, this will be one tough customer for Serena.

Now, the thing is Serena is quite a tough one herself and with the sisters it is always hard to predict. Let's just hope Serena is ON tomorrow.

Asif_Nawaz
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Mara-

6-2,3-6,6-4

Asif_Nawaz
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I think Mara will get revenge over Serena after Wimbledon 2005,Serena won that match 2-6,6-3,6-2

mila_mail
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
she lost to Bammer suprisingly in the hobart quarterfinal

i think she will lose to mara in 3 tough sets with a first-ruund exit

Mina Vagante
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
lol oh we have comedians in this thread:lol:

sunset
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Mara in 3 sets.

In fact this will be the outcome.

Dexter
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think I saw her play Justine at the US Open last year. She sucked.what? Mara didn't play Justine at USO last year at all :shrug: She lost in close 3 sets to World's #1 Amelie Mauresmo in the 3rd round... you clearly confuse her with another player :o Maybe Camerin.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
what? Mara didn't play Justine at USO last year at all :shrug: She lost in close 3 sets to World's #1 Amelie Mauresmo in the 3rd round... you clearly confuse her with another player :o Maybe Camerin.

Dear Plastic,

Sorry your confused.

F~F :kiss:

LudwigDvorak
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm rooting for Mara. I think she's a very good player and is one of my favorites. With more consistency and confidence, she could move up the rankings more. She's already working on that, so that's good and all. But Serena IS a tough cookie to crack. I predict lots of match points for Mara and Serena saving most of them.

Like I said, Mara's confidence is always a question, but I could see her pull a win. That said, Serena could definitely win.

I think if it goes to three, the advantage goes to Mara, especially if she wins the first. 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 I would bet is a rough estimate of how the match flows. You just know Serena's going to get one easy set somewhere.

Dexter
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Dear Plastic,

Sorry your confused.

F~F :kiss:How's Amy FeFe? :bigwave: :D

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Never thought I would say this but after Serena's horrible performance at Hobart I think the match's outcome depends on Mara: if she plays soild she should win.

47eggs
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
hopefully mara :) please

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM
:banana: just a friendly BUMP ;) :cool:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
....oh...and CONGRATS Mara for taking it 3...GAMES :haha::lol: Great stuff from Ree! And she's FAT! Imagine when she gets back in shape :drool:

...that is all

PatrickRyan
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
....oh...and CONGRATS Mara for taking it 3...GAMES :haha::lol: Great stuff from Ree! And she's FAT! Imagine when she gets back in shape :drool:

...that is all

:haha:

le bon vivant
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Serena 6-2 6-1

On the money. Hot damn. :D

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Serena 6-2 6-1

You called the score!!:worship: :worship:

winone23
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I guess I won't be needing these meds after all, I thought I was delusional b/c I said Serena would win in two. I gotta stop letting people on this board diagnose me.

Lulu.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
:banana: just a friendly BUMP ;) :cool:

Funny stuff. The desparation of some of these people is just rediculous

Paneru
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
On the money. Hot damn. :D

:cool:

Pszczelny
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Mara

volta