PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Day 2 Report

Experimentee
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Bacsinszky def Erakovic

I saw about the last set and a half. This was a great match, very high quality. Both players hit the ball so hard, and they both hit some great winners. It was very close and there wasnt much in it at all. Erakovic played a poor game on her serve at the end of the 2nd set and that was all it took to lose the set. Erakovic had the early break in the 3rd set but Timea came back with some good tennis and broke back, then got another break and held on to it for the rest of the set to win the match. Both are really talented and should make the top 100, Timea was just slightly more consistent while Marina lost her concentration sometimes and played more sloppy points than Timea did.

Cornet def Keovathong

Anne hit the ball with some good pace but made way too many unforced errors. Cornet played well and was clearly the better player. She had Monfils, Benneteau and Cohen Aloro there supporting her.

Mattek def Rodina

Mattek played well, hitting hard and aggressively, and was quite consistent. Rodina has a nice game with good groundstrokes but she missed a lot. Rodina called the trainer after the first set, not sure what the problem was.

Paszek def Hsieh

Paszek played well but Hsieh was terrible. Hsieh just hit error after error, although she hit some great winners on her BH it wasnt enough to balance all the UEs. Paszek looks like a great player, she has a lot of power and is consistent.

Pavlyuchenkova def O'Brien

Pretty bad quality match. Pav looked like she was playing nowhere near her best. O'Brien played well considering her long match yesterday but couldn't do anything good on crucial points at the end of the first set. It was still a great effort from her but she didnt have enough game to win. In the 2nd set Pav lifted her level a little and it was enough to win 6-2.

Poutchek def Morita

This really ruined my day, it was the most painful choke I've seen this tournament :(
I watched the whole match apart from the first few games. Morita was absolutely killing Poutchek at the start, she was hitting so accurately and close to the lines and had so many winners off both sides. Poutchek played her usual game and just hit the ball consistently back into court, but Morita was just too good. Ayumi dealt really well with Poutchek's moonballs, hitting them really early and hitting good flat shots off them. Every point in this match depended on Ayumi as all Poutchek did was get it back, and Ayumi ended up winning the first set 6-0 with more UE's than Poutchek, but so many winners! After the first set I went to the bathroom and Poutchek came in after me, and I heard her crying in the cubicle.
The 2nd set continued in the same manner. Ayumi was dominant, and Poutchek was getting so angry! She kept talking to herself, hitting herself, her racquet, the court, every time she lost a point, even when it was Ayumi's great play and not her mistake. She was really taking her time between points and delaying play, and got a time violation.
Ayumi was 3-1 up and a tough game followed, where Ayumi had many points to go up 4-1, but wasted all of them and it was 3-2. Every game Poutchek won after this was a tough game, and Ayumi had points to win them all, but made UEs on all of them. It got to 5-4 and Ayumi was still the better player at this stage but just hadn't taken her chances. At 5-4 up, Ayumi had 2 or 3 match points, but choked them all with UEs. After Poutchek held to make it 5-5, Ayumi's game just went down the drain. It seemed like she couldn't get the ball in court anymore, and only won one more game in the match. Poutchek played the ball as in the first set, just getting the ball back into play and nothing more, and Ayumi made an unforced error on pretty much every point after 5-4. She finished with about 70 UEs for the match, about half of those happened when Ayumi was giving the 3rd set away. This match was a shame because Ayumi was clearly the much better player for 2 sets, and should have won this 6-0 6-1 if she'd even taken half her chances. Anyway I think Ayumi has a great future, definitely top 100 this year, and I hope she will only learn from this loss.

Zahlavova def Uberoi

I'd never seen Sandra before but she was pretty impressive, she hit it hard and was quite consistent. She had a very loud grunt that sounded like a growl, Neha was also grunting loudly. Sandra was just too good today. Sania Mirza was there watching this for a while, and Shikha also watched for a bit.

Zakopalova def Zahlavova Strycova

Klara played really well and was just a class above Strycova. Klara played like she did when she was top 50 and Barbora was too inconsistent and made too many errors. Barbora was getting really mad as usual when she was losing, and acted like a brat. I think Klara should qualify easily and can win some matches in the main draw depending on her draw.

croat123
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
ayumi :sad: that a devastating loss for such a young player. but clearly she has the game to be good and she can only learn from this experience

TTomek
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM
stats AO wrote than Ayumi made 67 UEs :o

jamatthews
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the report.

crazillo
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
OMG, Ayumi. :sad: She is sooo nice! :(

Thanx for the report.

Ellery
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Su-Wei :tape:

CooCooCachoo
Jan 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Poor Ayumi :(

Thanks again!

Jakub
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Sandra Zahlavova :) looks still as loud as in Torun chall. when I saw her
:drool:

thanks for report

Dexter
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:30 PM
oh yes, Sandra Zahlavova sure does grunt a lot :lol:

Thanks for the report! :D

Europe rocks
Jan 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the report :) Shame Katie couldn't make the most of her chances, one of her big problems

pcrtennis
Jan 13th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Ayumi is immensely talented...mentally fragile though..

Experimentee...how did Aymui react? She's usually so calm. Thanks for the report.

Did you see Chin-Wei Chan?

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the report. :yeah:

Experimentee
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Ayumi is immensely talented...mentally fragile though..

Experimentee...how did Aymui react? She's usually so calm. Thanks for the report.

Did you see Chin-Wei Chan?

Yeah Ayumi was very calm, she didn't really express any frustration, even when she was losing badly in the 3rd set and couldnt get the ball in. I wished though, that she would just show a bit of anger or frustration, so she could fire herself up. She should have been very angry after that choke.

I didn't see Chin Wei Chan, too many matches on at once to see them all.

ViennaCalling
Jan 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Paszek def Hsieh

Paszek looks like a great player, she has a lot of power and is consistent.

:hearts: Thanks for the report! :wavey:

HTE
Jan 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Thx a lot for the quallies report :yeah:

:inlove:
Jan 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Ayumi :sobbing: :sobbing: I like her so much!
Very interesting report! Thank you!

tobi
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Thanx for the report