PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open Reports by TS **(Updated With PICS)**

TS
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
This is my AO 07 thread. I'll update it with reports and other crap over the next week or so.

The day 1 qualifying report is a little late, considering day 2 is over, but hey, eat me :kiss:

QUALIFYING Day 1

A very hot day, and you could tell a lot of the players were feeling it out there. I saw some great matches, mixed in with some mediocre ones, and some shit ones to boot. After last years absence from the Open it is great to back :D
As usual I start on the eastern courts as it’s close to the entry gate, and then move over to the western side where there are more courts and more matches. I caught most of the matches on offer, swinging from court to court.

Kristina Barrois def Paola Suarez 6-4 6-1

:o

Kristina didn’t have to do much at all, as Paola seemed to have her mind on other matters. Hard to believe I was watching a former top 10 player, as Paola seems to be struggling after her injuries. She played well in Auckland, so to see her bow out easily to Barrois is rather baffling. Crap match.

Timea Bacsinszky def Melanie South 6-3 7-6(4)

Both girls go for their shots and can hit quite hard, but Timea had the consistency today (or yesterday rather). Timea seemed to be the better player, but Mel certainly has a solid game herself. I caught a few games early and Timea looked like she would win rather comfortably, so I’m pleased that Mel managed to make a match out of it in the second.

Marina Erakovic def Simona Matei 7-5 6-1

Unfortunately I didn’t see any of the actual match, as when I got there Marina was having her blisters taped on her foot. As interesting as that may be for some, I decided to head over west and watch some matches. I did see Marina play her second round match though, so a report on that will follow (later).

Yaroslava Shvedova def WC-Lauren Breadmore 6-4 6-7(5) 7-5

Well, a trip to the Open wouldn’t be complete without a 3 and a half hour Lauren Breadmore match. I saw bits and pieces of this match as it went on (and on). Lauren had a match point serving for it at 5-4 in the 3rd, but fucked up and Yari was too strong in the end. Lauren has a lot more bite on her groundies now, and her serve is much better too, but she tightened up at the end and as usual let her emotions get the better of her. This would have been great for her confidence, but it wasn’t meant to be. Yari is a powerful girl, who dictated a lot of the points, but she was matched off the ground by Lauren in a lot of their exchanges today (er, yesterday). She played the bigger points better than Lauren, and I’m sure she breathed a sigh of relief once it was all over. One of the best matches of the day.

WC-Marija Mirkovic def Natalie Grandin 6-1 7-5
Great performance from 16 year old Marija. She is a fairly tall girl for her age, and has a nice solid back court game. She took advantage of an out of sorts and overweight Natalie, who still hasn’t done much to improve her conditioning. Natalie has a pleasant enough game full of deft touch and slices, but she was all over the place in this match and didn’t deserve to win. Marija almost let that second set slip away but she composed herself to record a career best win.

Yvonne Meusburger def WC-Isabella Holland 6-3 6-1

Yvonne was far too solid and experienced for 14 (!) year old Isabella. Isabella has a decent game for one so young, and I certainly see a promising talent. She has a very good serve for her age, and hits some decent groundies (particularly the forehand), and I’m sure she could match it with a player like Yvonne in a few years time.

Neha Uberoi def Viktoriya Kutuzova 7-5 6-3

Vika, to me, is a decent enough young player, but certainly is ranked at around at the right position at the moment. Not as good as most people make out, but she can certainly improve and will end up with a better career than Neha anyway. Neha is a good little player, very tenacious, and hits very hard at times. She has a lot more intensity than her big sister, and it seems that every point is do or die for her. Chill! Still, she is pleasant to watch and I was happy to see her win this.

Alize Cornet def Kateryna Bondarenko 6-4 1-6 6-4

What a shame top seed Katya had to draw the young French kid in the first round. Alize is a little cutie pie, with a very impressive game. Hits quite hard for somebody that looks like she’d be right at home working in a clothing shop for teenage girls, and she’s a quick thinker out there on the court. Katya herself is a big hitter, but just didn’t have the answers for the youngen. Big sister Alona was watching and cheering her on, but to no avail. I like Alize and predict some big things for her. A top quality match.

Ekaterina Ivanova def Jessica Kirkland 6-4 6-2

Well Jessica’s career is certainly going backwards. I will be shocked if she ever cracks the top 100. Katya has quite an impressive game and was too powerful for Jess. A good Slam debut for Katya.

Tamira Paszek def WC-Trudi Musgrave 7-5 6-1

Good effort from Trudi, but the result of this match was known the minute the draw was made. Tamira has a big future ahead, and is already a WTA tournament winner. She still has a lot of work ahead of her, but these are the types of matches she should win and she knows that. Trudi played well to claw her way back from a 1-4 deficit in the first set, and could’ve actually won that set. At 29, I can’t see Trudi get many more opportunities to play here. Tamira on the other hand, should easily be main draw on her own merit in 12 months time.

Ivana Lisjak def WC-Alison Bai 6-1 6-3

Ivana is VERY impressive. Hits the ball flat and HARD. I am shocked to see her in qualies as she looks like a main draw player. She was just a class above 16 year old Alison, and never looked like losing. Alison is a small player, but she is tenacious and has some solid groundies. I don’t expect much from her, but she has a nice enough game and she put in a good effort on debut. Certainly not disgraced. Memo to Ivana: don’t wear that revealing outfit next time. Kthnx.

Agnes Szavay def Joanna Sakowicz 6-4 4-6 8-6

Wow! This was another one of the best matches of the day. Great hitting from both girls, as they both hit hard and deep. Joanna certainly looked like she was the more comfortable in this match as it progressed, that is until she choked on a bag full of match points in the final set. Up 5-2, she wasted about 3 of them I think, and then lost a couple more as the match progressed. In her defence, Agnes won a lot of those MP’s with gutsy play, but Joanna was getting quite distressed and down on herself as play continued. Agnes is a little cutie and I think will easily reach top 100, but will struggle to break top 50, imo. The Radwanska sisters were courtside in the final set, as was Marta Domachowska (well I think it was her).

Su-Wei Hsieh def Shikha Uberoi 4-6 6-3 6-3

Shikha :rolleyes: Certainly lost the plot after the first set, and looked like she didn’t give a shit from then on. A player with lots of potential, but to me, it doesn’t look like she takes the game that seriously. This is in sharp contrast to her sister who looks very focused out on the court. I’m a big fan of the Uberoi sisters, and they belt the hell out of the ball, but don’t seem to know what to do with it. Su-Wei wasn’t overly impressive and probably would’ve lost to anyone else she played (as proven by her thrashing in the next round). In Su-Wei’s defence, she had some tape on her left shoulder, which she removed mid match. She (Su-Wei) was hitting with half as much power as I’m used to seeing from her, so I’m guessing the shoulder is to blame for that. Interesting in that Shikha’s father left with Neha after Neha’s match, but never returned to watch his other daughter. Neha didn’t bother coming back to watch either. A family feud perhaps? LOL.

Tatiana Poutchek def WC-Shayna McDowell 6-3 6-0

To Shayna: please play some more tennis, use your obvious talent for good instead of evil, and only accept wildcards if you know you’re match tough. Ta.
To Tatiana: please stop being such a sour faced cow. Ta.

Anne Keothavong def Junri Namigata 6-4 6-4

Routine win for Anne, who can hit some nice, penetrating groundstrokes when she wants to (and then fuck up later). She was a class above Junri, who I think was just happy to be there.

Alla Kudryavtseva def Dominika Cibulkova 6-4 5-7 9-7

Domi :sad: :sad: :sad:

Look, let’s be honest. I didn’t know much about Dominika Cibulkova before this match, but I’m a convert now and will now be following her promising career. This girl hits hard and flat, and to be honest, I thought she was the better player and should’ve won. Alla is a big (tall) girl, who reminds me of an inferior Svetlana Kuznetsova. Alla kept the balls in with some big, deep hitting, and it was usually Domi that threw in the error. Alla was the more composed of the two and handled herself quite beautifully in pressure situations. She is one to watch. This was easily the best match of the day, and a big crowd was there watching by the end of it. Domi proved a big hit with the males watching, as she is simply STUNNING :hearts: The main reason I stopped to watch this match at the beginning was because of her looks, so I guess “lets cheer for the pretty one” rang true in this instant. I think both players will reach the top 100 by years end. Is Domi playing the junior event? :angel:

Andreja Klepac def WC-Alenka Hubacek 6-1 6-4

Alenka wins the award for most interesting outfit of the day. An 80’s frilly skirt may not be the best thing to wear on a tennis court, but it worked well on her. This was another case of the more experienced Klepac just being too good and solid for her 16 year old opponent. Andreja has a nice enough back court game, but a very awkward service motion. Alenka took a while to get into the match, but from what I saw in the second set she played much better and was hitting some hard balls at her opponent, usually resulting in an error. She’ll be better for the experience. If she fails at tennis, I’m sure she could do something in the modeling industry as she’s a very pretty girl ;)

Anda Perianu def Stephanie Dubois 7-5 6-2

Well this just wasn’t Steph’s day :sad: She is clearly a talented and flashy player, but she didn’t bring it in this match. Anda, who is better than I thought, was hitting deep and with a lot of topspin on her shots, and it seemed to put Steph on the back foot each time. Steph is a very fit girl, with one of the better physiques of any of the players on the circuit, and while I think she will struggle to break the top 75, the top 100 is certainly attainable. Anda was the better player on the day and at times hit with a lot more power than I thought she actually had.

Tatiana Perebiynis def Akgul Amanmuradova 6-3 7-6(9)

I didn’t see the TB, but watched some of the second set. Tati took advantage of a raw Akgul, who seems to just bash the ball, and hope that it goes in. Akgul has loads of potential, and with her height and power, all she needs is a coach that can mould her game and she’d be set. Tati played solidly and didn’t make as many errors, and that’s pretty much the telling factor. Each time I’ve seen Tati play in Melbourne she has been beyond shit, so it was good to see her play some better tennis. Iroda Tulyaganova, looking quite splendid, was there supporting Akgul.

Evie Dominikovic def Katerina Bohmova 6-1 7-5

Congrats to Evie on pulling off a stunning comeback in the second set. Down 0-5, she displayed some intensity and won the next 7 games on the trot. No sign of her baby (or her mum or sister) in the stands, so maybe she prefers to not have the kid there. Who knows. Evie is looking rather thin and pale, and a shadow of her former self, so it was great to see her take advantage of an underdone opponent. Katerina has a nice enough lefty game, but she lacks punch.

Monica Niculescu def Carly Gullickson 3-6 6-2 7-5

Monica would have to be the most annoying opponent to have to play. She gets every ball back, and hits a slice forehand on every point which seems to put her opponent off balance. I saw Monica a)hit one topspin forehand which went into the net and b)hit one double handed forehand when on the run :o. I think she will benefit if she learnt how to hit a decent forehand, because she won’t go anywhere slicing forehands on the pro circuit. Carly is clearly the better player in my book, and a big girl (not necessarily fat, just quite solid), and I’m sure is wondering how the hell she lost this. Monica is a gutsy little player though, and full credit to her for fighting on EVERY single point. Carly displayed some wonderful serving and volleying, and I think she could do some damage at Wimbledon if given a good draw. Carly displayed some great sportsmanship, when Monica fell on her arse during one point, Carly instantly asked “are you OK?”. Nice to see.

Evgeniya Rodina def Angela Haynes 6-3 6-0
Maybe it’s just me, but Angie looks like she’s put on a lot of weight since I last saw her two years ago. She seems like she’s lost a lot of her spark and desire also, which is a shame, as she has a decent game. Rodina is a promising young Russian that kept the balls coming back nice and fast, and just waited on the error from Angie. Ahsha Rolle was watching this match, supporting Haynes. Angie wins the award for hair do of the tournament. I will be posting pics at a later date.

Bethanie Mattek def Kathrin Woerle 6-1 6-4

I was looking forward to this match, and it was good to see Beth arrive bouncing around and ready to go. Too good for the German, who doesn’t have any real weapons and is probably ranked the highest she’ll ever get. Beth looks composed, and ready to play this year. She hardly missed any volleys, and it was great to see her serve and volley on occasion. I hope she qualifies, as she is one of my faves in this event. Oh, and she wasn’t wearing any flashy gear for those wondering.

Klara Zakopalova def Maria-Emilia Salerni 6-3 6-2

I don’t know what the hell Klara is doing in qualies, as she is way above this level. The end.

Abigail Spears def Tatjana Malek 7-5 6-4

Abi was just simply too good for Malek. Abi hits with a lot of pace, and has a very nice net game, which is no surprise as she is a handy doubles player. Her infamous slide from the top 100 is baffling, as she clearly belongs there. Tatjana is a good enough player, but doesn’t seem to have a plan B in place when things go wrong.

Stephanie Cohen-Aloro def Hana Sromova 1-6 6-2 6-1

I really couldn’t give a flying crap about this match, but I’m only mentioning it because I noticed Natalie Tauziat in the stands watching. I strongly believe it was her any way. She is looking about 10 years older than her actual age, and has the best mum hairstyle ever. I believe she is Stephanie’s coach? Anyway, I never really liked her so my interest in investigating further evaporated after about a minute.

Katie O’Brien def Yanchong Chen 3-6 6-2 8-7ret

Good effort by Katie to get back in the match, as when I saw a little bit of it in the first, she was getting her arse handed to her on a plate. Chen looked better, stronger and like she was ready to win. Katie has a good game, hits with good depth and occasional power, but has the most irritating moan ever. Chen is a tough nut to crack and rarely misses anything. A shame she had to retire hurt, and as I missed the end of the match I wasn’t surprised to later learn it was due to cramping. This weather will get you :D

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def Margalita Chakhnashvili 7-5 6-4

Some nice short names there.

Was curious to see Nastya P in action. I can’t believe she is only 15, as she has a well developed frame and is quite a tall girl for her age. She hits with nice pace and is very solid from the back of the court – quite impressive. She is clearly as good (or if not better) as the girls at qualifying standard, and it’s a matter of time before she starts entering main draws on her own merit. Has a lot to work on, but I think she has a decent future ahead of her. She didn’t impress me as much as Sharapova or Vaidisova did at the same age (but they’re freaks), but for someone so young to be this good means that we’ll be seeing a lot more of her in future. Margalita, who is very striking with her long and curly dark hair, is also pretty decent and gave a good account of herself. She could’ve beaten anyone else in the draw, so it’s a shame she drew Nastya early.

I’ll put up a day 2 report when I can be arsed :wavey: Also, I’ll eventually be posting some pics as well – not the best quality, but I can only work with what shitty equipment I have ;)

WIMBY
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you for your reports, they are a great incite for those of us who are not there. :worship:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM
thanks!!!

CooCooCachoo
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Very nice report :D Thanks.

Tatiana Poutchek def WC-Shayna McDowell 6-3 6-0

To Shayna: please play some more tennis, use your obvious talent for good instead of evil, and only accept wildcards if you know you’re match tough. Ta.
To Tatiana: please stop being such a sour faced cow. Ta.

This cracked me up :haha: Poutchek is a sour-faced cow and she won't change that.

Agree with your description of Perianu too. When I saw her at RG, I expected her to be crap, but she's decent enough.

I am a bit shocked about Kathrin, as she is a really crafty player. She lacks the power, but she can really work the angles and she has great tactics. And she's the cutest thing :hearts:

Also, Shikha got loads of support from her family at RG :shrug:

tobi
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanx for the report :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
thanx Terry :wavey:

cant wait for day 2 reports :)

Jakub
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Agnes Szavay def Joanna Sakowicz 6-4 4-6 8-6

Wow! This was another one of the best matches of the day. Great hitting from both girls, as they both hit hard and deep. Joanna certainly looked like she was the more comfortable in this match as it progressed, that is until she choked on a bag full of match points in the final set. Up 5-2, she wasted about 3 of them I think, and then lost a couple more as the match progressed. In her defence, Agnes won a lot of those MP’s with gutsy play, but Joanna was getting quite distressed and down on herself as play continued. Agnes is a little cutie and I think will easily reach top 100, but will struggle to break top 50, imo. The Radwanska sisters were courtside in the final set, as was Marta Domachowska (well I think it was her).

thank you TS for the report
Joanna :sad:
but good to hear it was a high level match.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks. :worship:

crazillo
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Thanx. Great one! :)

JonBcn
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Good job, as usual Tezbert ;)

I can't help but support anyone who hits a sliced forehand (I'm referring to Niculescu, not you...)

Beat
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
wow, terry, what an effort. :eek: lol about nathalie tauziat ;)

Harju.
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Great report. :yeah:
Thanks.

Ellery
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks!

Europe rocks
Jan 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the report :) I think you summed up Anne perfectly there :p Katie's grunt is just funny :lol:

Elisse
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Great report!! :worship: Thanks Terry!!! :kiss: :wavey:

MLF
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Thank you Sir Terrence - muchly appreciated report :kiss:

Andy.
Jan 13th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the great report

TS
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
QUALIFYING DAY 2

Tatiana Poutchek def Ayumi Morita 0-6 7-5 6-1

:mad: When I got there in the second, Ayumi seemed to be well in control, and Tatiana was displaying the endearing personality that has won the hearts of thousands worldwide. Scrag. Ayumi sensationally let this match slip past, and as soon as she lost that second set, I left. I knew she’d get blanked in the last set. She’s only 16 years old, hits very hard, and will end up having the better career of the two anyway. She’ll learn from this.

Chin-Wei Chan def Kristina Brandi 6-4 7-5

When I saw some of this match, Kristina was fighting very hard and I actually thought she might win the second and then take the match. Chan is a solid baseliner that doesn’t give away many free points at all. I like the way she plays, very tenacious and quite precise. She also seems to enjoy herself out on the court, so I was quite impressed by her demeanor.

Timea Bacsinszky def Marina Erakovic 3-6 7-5 6-4

:sad:

This was a high quality match, and a shame there had to be a loser. Honestly, Marina should have won this, as she seemed to have all the answers. Both hit with a fair bit of power, but it was Marina that seemed to have more tricks up her sleeve. When down 0-4 in the second, I figured she’d tank it and then come back strong in the 3rd, so I was amazed to see her fight back to 5-4 up. From then on though, she let Timea back in and lost concentration and it was all over. Marina got quite dejected in that final set, and she never looked like she was going to win it. Timea held on, and deserved to win in the end. Is it just me, or does Timea seem to wear a fair bit of make up on the court? Anyway, I predict bright futures for both girls – not much separates them to be honest.

Yaroslava Shvedova def WC-Marija Mirkovic 6-2 6-2

Marija was a bundle of nerves, but she was never going to figure in this match. Yari was way too good and got the easy win. Never in doubt. Marija totally fucked up on match point, when she had the chance to hit a winner up at net (she had the whole court at her disposal), but she timidly tapped the ball, it hits the frame, and slowly dropped into the net like it was hit by a 4 year old. She was quite embarrassed, as were the crowd, and I’m sure Yari found it quite amusing. Still, this was an obvious stupid mistake, and Marija can be proud of her efforts this week. One of the only Aus juniors that actually made a mark on overseas satellite events last year, here’s hoping she is one of the rare ones to break through and keep at it.

Anne Kremer def Yvonne Meusburger 6-0 6-3

I’ve decided that the most interesting part of this match was when I came to the conclusion that Yvonne reminds me of one of my aunts. She really needs to do something about that hair do.

Renata Voracova def Raquel Kops-Jones 6-4 6-4
Raquel is one of the most impressive athletes I’ve seen out on a tennis court. Very fit, and quite an impressive player. Hits some clean hard balls, but has the tendency to hit short, and ultimately pays the price. She clearly needs a little more experience playing the bigger events and then I can see her making a mark on the top 150 (100 may be a stretch). Renata is your usual European baseline machine, and look I’m sure she is a lovely girl, but :yawn: There are so many of these players around, that they should all just have the same name with I II III IV V etc written next to it.

Kristina Barrois def Lioudmila Skavronskaia 5-7 7-5 6-1

With her height and game, why the fuck is Liouda not a regular top 50 player? She is very impressive, and over the years, I’ve always scratched my head as to why she has vastly underachieved in her career. I call her the gentle giant, because she is such a lovely girl. She has an awesome one handed backhand, and a good serve when it’s on, so this is really bizarre that she hasn’t done more on the tour. She should be eating up players like Barrois. Kristina has a lovely game, nice touch, a great slice backhand, and a smart tactician, but she could easily be blown away by the big hitters. She took advantage of a raw opponent. Also, needs to be mentioned that Liouda looks the same whether she’s winning or losing. I have to say that tennis looks like it’s a chore to her – perhaps the fact that she may not enjoy it so much, is why she isn’t progressing.

Alla Kudryavtseva def Selima Sfar 6-1 6-3

Total mis-match. Kind of like watching a big cat play with a dead mouse. Selima has officially been blacklisted from all future AO viewings. Each time I catch a glimpse (yes, just a glimpse) of one of her matches I have a sudden urge to fall asleep.

Alize Cornet def Anne Keothavong 6-3 6-2

Alize just far too classy for Anne. This result never seemed in doubt. I think someone needs to tell Anne she is delusional if she hopes to crack the top 100 if she plays like this. She clearly has the shots, but has no idea how to construct a point. She’ll make top 100 only if she gets lucky with some piss easy draws – otherwise, it’s the ITF circuit for eternity my dear. Alize once again displayed maturity beyond her years, and will easily be in main draws within the next year or two.

Abigail Spears def Evie Dominikovic 6-3 6-2

I only caught a little of this match as I’ve seen both players quite a few times. I knew Abi would win this, she is simply a better player. Evie has a lot of work to do if she wants to get back to her usual top 120 ranking, and quite frankly I’d be surprised if she did. Coming back after popping a kid out has got to be tough, so I commend her for her efforts.

Elise Tamaela def Olivia Sanchez 6-3 1-6 6-4

Quite the contrast. Elise is slightly butchy and a tad dykey (sporting a wonderful Julie Halard style hair do) and would look right at home on The L Word, whereas Olivia is your typical blonde summertime bombshell. Olivia choked when up 3-0 in the final set, ut to Elise’s credit she hung in there and showed that she was the deserving player on the day. Elise has a tough game to beat, as she rarely puts a foot wrong and is quite the feisty little thing when she wants to be. From what I saw, Olivia has a decent enough game, but hey, just not good enough (yet).

Sandra Zahlavova def Neha Uberoi 7-5 6-0

OK, well scratch my theory of an Uberoi family feud, as Shikha did make an appearance yesterday to watch little sis. Both players like to belt the ball, and there was not much separating them at all. I felt that whoever was going to win that first set, would break the other girls spirit and walk away with it in the second. As much as I was hoping it would be Neha (I was watching Beth play nearby, but could see the scoreboard from where I was sitting), it wasn’t to be :( Sandra is a little firecracker that hits quite hard and puts all her effort into her shots. She can have quite a good career if she packs on a bit of meat (quite a skinny chick).

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def Katie O’Brien7-6(5) 6-2

Not the greatest of performances from Nastya, but she got the job done. Commendable effort from Katie, who has impressed me this week – I thought she would be a lot crappier. The difference here though is that Nastya was not playing very well, but won in straight sets, whereas I felt that Katie was giving her all in the match. I guess that tells you that one should be destined for a solid top 100 career, and the other may find herself languishing in the top 200 for most of hers.

Bethanie Mattek def Evgeniya Rodina 6-4 6-1

I saw this match in its entirety, as Beth is easily my fave player here at qualies, and Rodina impressed me in her first round. Beth was just a level above the young Russian, and once again displayed some crafty shotmaking, serve and volleying, and good serving to get through this comfortably. Beth was wearing a bright pink singlet top and grey (?) shorts, nothing too flashy, but she looked cute. Rodina never quite looked comfortable out there, and was just beaten by a better player. My gal pal Tatiana Poutchek was courtside watching this. I really hope Beth can beat Cohen-Aloro and qualify, but she’s just lost the second as I type this :fiery:

Klara Zakopalova def Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova 6-3 6-1

OK, memo to Babs. Change that fucking name :kiss: Choose one, or the other, but not both. Cheers, thanks :kiss:

Um, yeah, well as I said yesterday Klara should not be here. But she is, so sucks to be her I guess. She is playing quite well and will be back in the top 50 eventually, but still behaves like a 3 year old when she misses one shot despite being up 5-1. Deal with it dude.

I saw a few players practicing, and took some pics, but as luck would have it my camera has totally fucked up and I think I might have lost day 2 pics :o Gisela Dulko had a good workout with her coach. Francesca Schiavone and Jill Craybas had a hit up –

Fran: “who do you play?”
Jill: “Vaidisova”
Fran “ah” (the look was priceless, i.e. “you’re fucked”)
Jill: “and you?”
Fran: “Kloesel”
Jill: “who?”
Fran: “Kloesel”.

I noticed Yevgenia Savransky go for a toilet break after she lost the first set to Argeri ,and I found this funny because I saw her do this in her first round too. Sorry miss, but it didn’t work out for you this time. Misa Krajicek and Iveta Benesova had a workout together, and from a side on view Iveta looks rather transparent, a la Kate Moss. Nastya Rodionova (I felt like I was watching WTAWorld royalty here, with the reputation she has) shared a court with Severine Bremond, Sofia Arvidsson and someone else I didn’t recognize. Former Aussie doubles player/resident queen bee Sarah Stone was assisting Rodionova (a perfect match if ever I saw one). Jelena Kostanic (half nude) was hitting with Julia Schruff. Jessica Moore and Casey Dellacqua were playing a practice match, and they seemed to be belting the hell out of the ball. Jess was quite upset after she missed a few shots, and Casey was looking rather good. Monique Adamczak was practicing her serves with her coach, and missed about 10 in a row. Good to see Monique still looking as fit as ever :hearts: I noticed Nicole Pratt hitting from a distance. Didn’t get a closer look, but I didn’t have to, as her beauty travels far and wide. I also saw the "once good, but now crap" Christina Wheeler preparing to have a hit with the third Olsen twin, Natalie Grandin. Walking past the players area, I noticed Elise Tamaela in the distance, on a lap top and smiling. She had just won her match and was obviously chatting or whatever – gone are the days when I remember seeing players on the public phones after their matches. Nathalie Dechy was also getting ready to practice, and is looking rather pale and thin. So I guess that’s normal for her.
She looks like she should be at home knitting a scarf.

I didn’t go to Day 3 (clearly), but will be there on Day 1 & 2 of the main draw.

RND
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM

When I saw some of this match, Kristina was fighting very hard and I actually thought she might win the second and then take the match. Chan is a solid baseliner that doesn’t give away many free points at all. I like the way she plays, very tenacious and quite precise. She also seems to enjoy herself out on the court, so I was quite impressed by her demeanor.
It seems that after the slumping at the end of 2006.She finally found her pace back again,she lost in the final round 6(7)-7 5-7 though. :sad:
Good luck,Chin-Wei. :yeah:

Fran: “who do you play?”
Jill: “Vaidisova”
Fran “ah” (the look was priceless, i.e. “you’re fucked”)
Jill: “and you?”
Fran: “Kloesel”
Jill: “who?”
Fran: “Kloesel”.
:lol: :lol: :iol:

Thank you so much for the reports.I have a lot of fun reading them. :)
Can't wait to see your report for the main event. :worship:

Dexter
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
BEST REPORTS EVER. Thanks.

ozfan44
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
great reports terry beats what im gona post!

have to agree about poutchek wat a lemon sucker!
i laughed so much during the 2nd 3rd sets against rolle today she will have very sore legs tonight from whacking herself with the racuqte so much lol

Experimentee
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I saw Tatiana Poutchek watching the Mattek match too, she even looked like a sour faced cow when relaxing watching a match! She was talking to some other player next to her and kept screwing up her face. I later saw her shopping at QV that night and she still had that face :o

I also thought Timea was wearing makeup on both days, and plenty of it.

Lmao at the Fran-Jill conversation :lol:

*hingis_forever*
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I'm glad that you were somewhat impressed by Katie! I know she's not going to be storming into the top 100 anytime soon but at least she seems to be making the most of what she's got which is just as much a success story! :D

pcrtennis
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Really? Good to hear...usually Chin-Wei seems so negative and unmotivated when I see her! Good news!

CooCooCachoo
Jan 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I saw Tatiana Poutchek watching the Mattek match too, she even looked like a sour faced cow when relaxing watching a match! She was talking to some other player next to her and kept screwing up her face. I later saw her shopping at QV that night and she still had that face :o

I also thought Timea was wearing makeup on both days, and plenty of it.

Lmao at the Fran-Jill conversation :lol:

:spit: @ Poutchbitch :haha:

Thanks again TS :D

rrfnpump
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
QUALIFYING DAY 2

Renata Voracova def Raquel Kops-Jones 6-4 6-4
Raquel is one of the most impressive athletes I’ve seen out on a tennis court. Very fit, and quite an impressive player. Hits some clean hard balls, but has the tendency to hit short, and ultimately pays the price. She clearly needs a little more experience playing the bigger events and then I can see her making a mark on the top 150 (100 may be a stretch). Renata is your usual European baseline machine, and look I’m sure she is a lovely girl, but :yawn: There are so many of these players around, that they should all just have the same name with I II III IV V etc written next to it.

1. Renata is a lovely girl :)
2. her service motion is very special
3. then all the japanese players should have these I II and III also next to the name, because they all play the same, really :lol:

thanks for the reports!

LUXXXAS
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM
fUntastic reports :banana: thanks :yeah:

HTE
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Excellent reports, thx :yeah:

Sunny_Boy
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
:lol: at the Fran and Jill convo. I was on the next court watching Nathan Healey and heard Jill, she was soo funny!
They were having a good practise, it seemed like Fran won every point but both of them are really nice.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
thanx again Terry, great stuff as usual :) :D

rated_next
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
thanks Terry :)

LOL at Jill and Francesca :lol: :lol:

tobi
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanx again :)

:rolls: @ Jill - Fran conversation :lol:

:inlove:
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
:spit: :bowdown: Great reports! I had a lot of fun reading them!

Poutbitch :tape: :haha: Can't stand her. :( Can't believe Ayumi let it slip :sobbing:
And it is just so depressing hearing your report on Angela. :bigcry: Just no motivation right now. :mad:

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I've uploaded all the pics from Day 1, but all the Day 2 pics have been lost :rolleyes: :o I'm so pissed off as I took some semi-decent shots on Day 2, LOL.

Sorry some of these pics are poor quality, it's just that my camera is fairly old (and temperamental). Better these than nothing at all.

I will stagger the pics across several posts.

DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA :hearts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cibulkova1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cibulkova2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cibulkova5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cibulkova6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cibulkova7.jpg

BETHANIE MATTEK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Mattek2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Mattek3.jpg

AKGUL AMANMURADOVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Akgul1.jpg

SANJA ANCIC

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Ancic.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM
ALISON BAI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Bai1.jpg

LAUREN BREADMORE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Breadmore1.jpg

MARGALITA CHAKNASHVILI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Chaknashvili1.jpg

YANCHONG CHEN

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Chen2.jpg

ALIZE CORNET

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cornet.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:47 AM
STEPHANIE DUBOIS :hearts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Dubois1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Dubois2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Dubois4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Dubois5.jpg

RYOKO FUDA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Fuda.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:54 AM
CARLY GULLICKSON

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Gullickson1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Gullickson3.jpg

ANGELA HAYNES

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Haynes1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Haynes2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Haynes4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Haynes7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Haynes6.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
ISABELLA HOLLAND

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Holland5.jpg

SU-WEI HSIEH

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Hsieh2.jpg

ALENKA HUBACEK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Hubacek1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Hubacek2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Hubacek4.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
KATYA IVANOVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Ivanova1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Ivanova2.jpg

KATYA BONDARENKO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/K.jpg

ANNE KEOTHAVONG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Keothavong.jpg

ANDREJA KLEPAC (serving)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Klepac.jpg

RAQUEL KOPS-JONES

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kops-Jones.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
ALLA KUDRYAVTSEVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kudryavstev2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kudryavsteva.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kudryavtsev4.jpg

VIKA KUTUZOVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kutuzova1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Kutuzova2.jpg

IVANA LISJAK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Lisjak.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
TATJANA MALEK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Malek1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Malek3.jpg

SHAYNA McDOWELL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/McDowell1.jpg

MARIJA MIRKOVIC

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Mirkovic2.jpg

TRUDI MUSGRAVE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Musgrave.jpg

NEHA UBEROI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/N.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM
MONICA NICULESCU (hitting *that* forehand)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Niculescu2.jpg

KATIE O'BRIEN

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/OBrien.jpg

TAMIRA PASZEK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Paszek1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Paszek3.jpg

NASTYA PAVLYUCHENKOVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Pavlyuchenk2.jpg

TATIANA PEREBIYNIS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Perebiynis.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
EVGENIYA RODINA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Rodina1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Rodina2.jpg

SHIKHA UBEROI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/S.jpg

JOANNA SAKOWICZ

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Sakowicz.jpg

MARIA EMILIA SALERNI

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Salerni.jpg

MEL SOUTH

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/South.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM
ABI SPEARS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Spears1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Spears2.jpg

AGNES SZAVAY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Szavay1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Szavay2.jpg

TS
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
JULIA VAKULENKO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Vakulenko1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Vakulenko2.jpg

KATHRIN WOERLE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Woerle.jpg

KLARA ZAKOPALOVA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Zakopalova.jpg

That's all from qualies (I took a lot more, but they turned out a lot worse than these). I'll be back for the MD.

rrfnpump
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=TS;9803174]MONICA NICULESCU (hitting *that* forehand)

:rocker2: :cool:
go Monica !!!!

thanks a lot for pics, specially for Malek, Zakopalova and Ivanova :hearts:

Dexter
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for pics! :bowdown:

Asia... why did you cut your hair? :awww: :sad:
Angela looks in bad shape indeed :sad:
Monica & that forehand :lol:

Hayato
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Angela Haynes is hot :drool: Except that fourth pic is not very flattering...she's not in the best of shape by the looks of it, perhaps that explains her not so good results as of late.

Thanks for the pics :)

Sexysova
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
thx :) pls check Vaidisova :) :devil: :worship:

CooCooCachoo
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Angela really has put on some pounds.

Perebiynis really has the best outfit of these girls :hearts: It looks great on her. Bondarenko, on the other hand... :bolt: :tape:

Thanks for all the photos :rocker:

Erika_Angel
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much for the pics Terry :hearts: Goodrep for you! :D

Perebiynis really has the best outfit of these girls :hearts: It looks great on her.

I know right! Usually she just plonks on some generic outfit from 3 seasons ago, but she is really rockin the headscarf here :D :rocker2:

ViennaCalling
Jan 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Great pics! Thank you!

tobi
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thanx for great photos :)

:inlove:
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Angela :help: :sad: What an unflattering outfit :o
Bondarenko looks like striped gum :help:

Experimentee
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the pics Terry!

Bondarenko must have changed her dress from when you saw her to when I saw her. The one I saw her in was much nicer than this one!

rated_next
Jan 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM
thanks for the photos :hearts:

Monica :)

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the Stephanie report and pictures. The moment you see her, it's impossible not to fall in love with her!

isabellea
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
thank you.

If you go monday, can you take some pictures of Dushevina??

felldownagain
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Really enjoyed your commentary - looking forward to the MD.

Add my thanks to everyone else'.>

Viktymise
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
:worship: great reports, did you see any of day 3 qualies

Wiggly
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Iveta transparent:lol:

kittyking
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Timea Bacsinszky def Marina Erakovic 3-6 7-5 6-4

:sad:

This was a high quality match, and a shame there had to be a loser. Honestly, Marina should have won this, as she seemed to have all the answers. Both hit with a fair bit of power, but it was Marina that seemed to have more tricks up her sleeve. When down 0-4 in the second, I figured she’d tank it and then come back strong in the 3rd, so I was amazed to see her fight back to 5-4 up. From then on though, she let Timea back in and lost concentration and it was all over. Marina got quite dejected in that final set, and she never looked like she was going to win it. Timea held on, and deserved to win in the end. Is it just me, or does Timea seem to wear a fair bit of make up on the court? Anyway, I predict bright futures for both girls – not much separates them to be honest.

Nice report thanks for that

You didnt happen to take any pictures of Marina did you?

Beat
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
MONICA NICULESCU (hitting *that* forehand)

:lol: :worship:

*waiting for more wicked terry reports*

jean_genie
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Fabulous report Terry darling :kiss:

souam
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM
ALIZE CORNET

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/stath78/Cornet.jpg

Thanks a lot for the pic of Alizé! :worship:

TS
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Hello guys, thanks for the nice comments.

I went to Day 1 yesterday and had a great day, and have come back from Day 2, which actually wasn't a very eventful day as matches were called off due to the extreme heat policy. This is my 9th visit to the Aus Open, and I can't remember a hotter day at the tennis than this one. It was disgusting! I might return later on tonight (I don't live too far from the tennis center), when matches hopefully start again. I'll get reports up when I can, but sadly no more photo's as my camera is comatose :o

Experimentee
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I went today too, the heat really was unbearable! Thank god for Vodafone tickets, I went in there to cool off and didnt come out until 8.15 when the outside started again! I dont have time to write a report now, anyway since I was in Vodafone I saw mainly one sided boring womens matches. There were some good mens matches though.

I think this day was about the same as the first Saturday of last year's AO, when it reached 43 degrees, except on that day I had a ground pass and had to endure the heat outside as Vodafone was full.

brunof
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Reading about Akgul in the report, it's always the same...and so sad. :sad:

Thanks so much for the reports, very fun to read! :cool: