PDA

View Full Version : I saw this article about Lindsay and I'm not sure what to think of it...

RayRob
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Hey everyone,

I found this article. (http://www.********************/davenport_011007.html) It has about two positive things, but the rest seem pretty negative and not who I thought Lindsay was/is - I don't fully believe some of the comments (ie about her relationship with media being better than the fans) mainly because so many people on this board as a whole - even none fans - have had positive interactions with Lindsay. Very bizarre.

This guy claims to have some sort of regular professional ties with Lindsay for all the time she was on the tour. At the end of the article he seems to say in not so many words..."I have 'dirt' on Lindsay that I could use now that she's retired and not care about it".

I personally think hes a bit of an arseh*le myself :rolleyes: ...anyone else have any thoughts.

-Rache

sweet_angel23
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
really??
would u mind posting the site?? if thats alrite...
i wana read it.

hurricanejeanne
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Just read the article, and this is my take.

I agree with you Rache about the relationship Lindsay had with her fans, from the reports I have read on this board from fans and just general tennis fans Lindsay was at the very least able to give an autograph and be remotely pleasant.

I think in the simplest of terms, it describes Lindsay as being very smart and knowing where the lines were set. Also, that Lindsay was either very "on" or very "off". She could be the most endearing woman in the world sometimes and then others just be a total bitch. Which, honestly, isn't a new concept.

And if Lindsay secretly didn't like this player or that player but made nice with them in the public eye, is that really surprising? No, not to me. I'm sure she has issues with some girls just as anyone else at the top of pro tennis would. No body's perfect. Not even Lindsay. She's human after all.

The Daviator
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
The link doesn't work :confused:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
We're not allowed to post the link to the site on wtaworld. But we can post the articles....at least I think we can (I've seen some in GM before)...

The personal side of Lindsay Davenport

I promised to write something about Lindsay's Davenport's personality, so here goes: On the women's side, I don't think I've spent more time around another player, mostly due to the fact that we are both Californians and she played and I covered many of the same tournaments – including the Slams and the Sony Ericsson WTA Championships – since she turned pro. Plus she went deep almost every time, which meant my exposure to her was high.

Unless you spend a lot of time off court with someone, no one is ever who they completely appear to be in press conferences, even if you throw in some one-on-ones and chats off to the side. But there are some things I can say with a lot of confidence: Davenport was never, ever the quintessential, cheery girl next door. She had numerous sides to her personality … some endearing, some off-putting. She could be very honest at times, but also elusive. She's smart and is calculating, and most times, when she addressed controversial issues, she knew what the fallout would be beforehand and weighed in with a considered opinion. There were times when she was angry and she went off, and then she was forced to eat a little crow later, but for the most part, she studied the politicking of the game and came out ahead.

There are various ways to judge how honest and truly likeable a celebrity athlete is and one of them is to look at who their close friends are: Davenport scored very high in that category, counting among her closest friends A-listers Lisa Raymond, Mary Joe Fernandez and Corina Morariu. There are many other ways, like how generous they are with their time and how they are viewed by other reputable people who are not their friends. Davenport was not always that giving with her time, and I don't just mean to journalists. She was no great fan of getting up close and personal with fans. She also was not very tolerant of other stars with different personalities (i.e. those who were not "one of the girls"). But on some days, when she wasn't trying to avoid making eye contact with the public, she could light up a room and be as engaging as Chris Evert in her prime.

There were some journalists who loved her, some who were bothered by her and others who couldn't care either way. I saw her roast plenty of folks and also saw her patiently sit through some ridiculous lines of questioning. She trusted the press more than she trusted the fans, but as some folks found out who covered her as long as I did, you never really knew where you stood with her, and whether she really meant "Call me anytime." As the WTA can attest to, when she checked out, she would really check out.

It's a real give and take with the stars and you have to tread carefully with them, especially when you know that they will be around for the long haul and are very valuable sources. Davenport understood what her role was and had a pretty fair idea of how the press worked. On at least two separate occasions that I can clearly remember, she called me after she had laid out some pretty strong opinions in private and asked me not to use a few of things that she said. I complied because I knew what the deal was: If I went ahead and wrote everything, she would probably cut me off and I would lose a valuable source. I had to weigh that against the story's value and now that's she retired, I'm still wondering whether I got enough later in return. But that's all past now and I'll give her this: She rarely shied away from the tough questions and didn't pretend not to care. That's more than you can say for at least 80 percent of the US women's players of her generation.

By. Matt Cronin.

***note if I'm not allowed to post said article, a mod may take it down or ask me to remove it***

Lindsayfan32
Jan 12th, 2007, 01:59 AM
This is an article on ******************** and if I've got that right. I wouldn't read too much into it. I have to say its a different take about Lindsay personailty and its only one person's opinion. I think its a bit of cheap shot if you ask me that he's thinking about dishing dirt on Lindsay now that she is almost retired, Mattew Cronin shouldn't be so sure of himself as it could come back and bite him on the backside, even if Lindsay never play another pro match.

Even if there is any truth to what he has writen even Lindsay can't be nice to everyone all of the time. Everyone has a dark side to their personailty Lindsay included. Remeber its only one person's opinon and that's all it is, is an opinon.

lindsayno1
Jan 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM
HAHA! Looks like some loser tryin to cash in on the Davmeister! How pathetic! We all know lindsay has 2 personalities and can be a bitch! We know shes always nice to the press and very articulative.

Tell us something new!

RayRob
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
LMAO! Thanks for your opinions guys! I had never heard of this guy before, so I didn't know him or the site had any history on this board...hence the reason it was ****** out). He is obviously trying to cash in on Lindsay and create some disturbances.

So I stand with my original opinion that this guy is a complete arse!
Rache

LindsayRulz
Jan 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
It's really a cheap shot. I mean, this guy has waited that Lindsay retires for talkshitting in an article :o . Lindsay can do and say whatever she wants... In a life you say lot of things and it's not necessary always nice and positive. However I would like to know what thig guy know about Lindsay :lol: .

The Daviator
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Well I've seen loads of interviews/press conferences with her and she's never 'roasted' anyone :confused:

Anyway, it hasn't altered my opinion of her anyway, everyone already knew that she wasn't always sweet and warm, but who is :shrug:

lindsayno1
Jan 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
there was one where she went off on one, but i cant remember who or what it was about!

mike/topgun
Jan 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Lindsay's comments particualry about Anna Kournikova and the Williamses were really funny at the begining.:lol: She was that kind of person who was nice to the press, but not necessarily to the players whom she disliked. As simple as that. She sometimes was a biyatch too.:devil:
This guy dropped the biggest bombshell of his life:rolleyes:

Dave.
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Absolute Rubbish:mad:

Lindsay is one of the nicest players on tour and always has been. She is one of the few players that actually understands her duty to her fans. I've seen her wait ages to give everyone an autograph or whatever after matches, or make extra time to go to autograph sessions and other interactions with fans. In the press room, she always gave great interviews and she gave loads of them. This person is just trying to get himself noticed. Lindsay has a very good reputation around the world, she fully fulfilled her duties as a top player in the last decade and a half.

jabberwocky
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM
On at least two separate occasions that I can clearly remember, she called me after she had laid out some pretty strong opinions in private and asked me not to use a few of things that she said. I complied because I knew what the deal was: If I went ahead and wrote everything, she would probably cut me off and I would lose a valuable source. I had to weigh that against the story's value and now that's she retired, I'm still wondering whether I got enough later in return.

There's your motive for the piece right there.

Yo, Mr. Cronin... Vendictive much? :rolleyes:

mattcronin
Jan 20th, 2007, 04:48 AM
All here's a link to a davenport interview I did in '04 where she discusses her relationships with fans --you guys. Read and THEN weigh in; I added 2 spaces between the "s" and "r" so the link would appear, but you'll have to delete the sapces. I've asked this web site not to publish links for tennis reporters subscriber only stories, but not sure why the freebies don't come up. Back to the AO, where Ivanovic is playing Zvonareva. It's very muggy here today - matt

LINK
http://www. tennis reporters.net/davenport_interview_121406.html

jabberwocky
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hmmm... kind of interesting how Ivanovic and Zvonareva are capitalized in Mr. Cronin's post, yet "davenport" and his own name aren't. A psychologist might look at that and suspect that he did this subconsciously because he feels inadequate, hence the little 'm' in his name. This, of course, might cause him to try to compensate by belittling a well-known, highly regarded person and bring them down to where he and the person are on an equal level, hence the little 'd'. This could be especially true if he feels this highly successful person has somehow slighted him in the past or done something to make him feel they've held him back.

But that's just an observation, of course. :cool:

Lindsayfan32
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Hmmm... kind of interesting how Ivanovic and Zvonareva are capitalized in Mr. Cronin's post, yet "davenport" and his own name aren't. A psychologist might look at that and suspect that he did this subconsciously because he feels inadequate, hence the little 'm' in his name. This, of course, might cause him to try to compensate by belittling a well-known, highly regarded person and bring them down to where he and the person are on an equal level, hence the little 'd'. This could be especially true if he feels this highly successful person has somehow slighted him in the past or done something to make him feel they've held him back.

But that's just an observation, of course. :cool:

This is an interesting explaination and its even different. Its this simple Mattew Cronin is a dickhead but you are right about one thing Lindsay must have turned him down for one too many interviews so hence the second article.