PDA

View Full Version : Can't be happy for Serena's performance

vswfan
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Serena showed poorly today. Only thing I can be happy for is Serena finally wins a tiebreak after losing 9 :rolleyes: and her strong mentality.

Here I post some stats:

1.Serena's final set tiebreak record:

1998 Miami QF Serena lt Hingis 3-6 6-1 6-7(4) [had 2 MPs]
1999 Paris Indoors F Serena def Mauresmo 6-2 3-6 7-6(4)
2000 Hannover SF Serena def Mauresmo 6-2 6-7(4) 7-6(3)
2000 Los Angeles F Serena def Davenport 4-6 6-4 7-6(1)
2001 Los Angeles QF Serena lt Seles 2-6 6-3 6-7(2) [had 6 MPs]
2002 Berlin F Serena lt Henin 2-6 6-1 6-7(5) [lead 3-1 in 3rd set]

(1) all of the 5 women have been No.1
(2) all of the tournaments were tier 1 or 2
(3) all of the rounds were at least QF

WHATS THIS?
2007 Hobart 2R Serena def Safarova 6-3 3-6 7-6(5)
only a 2R of a tier 4 event/Safarova ranks 74
ITS AMAZING!!
and this woman said she will become the best again "only the matter of time"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Serena's first serve percentage since her comeback

Cincy:
1R 59% / 2R 57% / QF 59% / SF 47%

LA
1R 52% / 2R 62% / 3R 58% / QF 64% / SF 60%

US Open
1R 57% / 2R 62% / 3R 56% / 4R 70%

Hobart
1R 55% / 2R 58%

in her 15 matches since comeback,
only 1 time higher than 65% and 4 times higher than 60%
Serena's serve was one of the best on tour
she usually reached 60% before 2005 Wimbledon

show, dont tell, Serena
some people talk to talk, some people walk to walk
I dont want to see you become a joke

Highlandman
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Her first service :eek: :tape: :help:

Poor Myskina in Cincy, lost in 56 minutes 2-6,2-6 to a Serena who made only 59% first service...

I hope she serves better soon, because it is HER shot...

Mina Vagante
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM
lol donn't worry she isn't a joke and never will be (despite some other threads):tape: her serve is still one of the best on the tour the question is.. when she gets it in!

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I'm happy for the performance
despite the struggle! :cool:

1. match play.

2. An alarm that makes her really
aware of what it is she has to work on.

3. She can make it a tough three sets w/o
something hurting her physically.

Their are positives one can
take from every match, no matter how poor.

Dave.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't worry at all about Serena's week so far. TBH, I didn't even think she would beat Safarova. Serena will have some tough matches. She hasen't played for 4 months, is way below her best physical shape and is not in a dominant phase yet. Hopefully it will come back and she will be at the top again, but for now I am pleased she is simply playing and winning again. Safarova is a very dangerous player and has won a Rebound Ace event before, so she is confident on the surface. Serena did very well pulling out that tough match.

Vlover
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM

1. match play.

I totally concur! The more challenging her matches are the better for her so that she doesn't become complacent and expect to breeze through matches as before. Getting a win in a poorly played match is a positive achievement to work with for the next one.

Davenselesport
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
those tiebreaks are all over 4 years old... so not terribly relevant

I agree she could have finished off Safarova much quicker though...

Craigy
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Oh well, at least she won. This time last year she would have lost that match easily.

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM
vsw - i think I see where your thread is going but you're comparing apples to oranges. That Serena was an apple (because I love apples - green ones). This Serena is an orange. TWO different players.

This will be more relevant if she can finally STAY healthy. I think we're talking possible Miami & then compare her. Plus, it wasn't always good when Serena was winning all those slams. In another post, I brought up the FORGETTABLE match against Loit at the '03 Aussie. She still had matches where the serve didn't click and the unforced errors were all over the place BUT she pulled them out.

Finally, it's quite obvious Serena is working on her serves. She knows she has room to go for alot against these girls. LET'S JUST LET HER WORK ON HER GAME.

I know all the Williams' fans are excited & starving for the return of yester-year but everyone please calm down!

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Serena showed poorly today. Only thing I can be happy for is Serena finally wins a tiebreak after losing 9 :rolleyes: and her strong mentality.

You should be happy that she's willing to take a chance and put herself out there to the world and allow people to see her so far from her best. She could just say "I'm rich and accomplished enough, I'll get out now and leave my fans with the memories of my victories. I'm going to leave before I tarnish my image."

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
. LET'S JUST LET HER WORK ON HER GAME.

PREACH!!!!!:worship:

:inlove:
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
She won. :shrug: Don't give a shit about the scoreline. :lol:

V-MAC
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
She won. :shrug: Don't give a shit about the scoreline. :lol:

exactly. I think Serena fans should just be happy that at least she is playing again. Spare a thought for fans of other players (Venus and Chanda fans for example) where we don't know when to expect them back on the court.:(

Drake1980
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
It was only her second match back. Of course there's going to be some rust. This will make her stronger!!

jamatthews
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
It doesn't really matter what she does this week, or next week. The most important thing is that she doesn't pull out of Bangalore and disappear for 6 months again after AO.

GQGuy1
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM

1. match play.

We don't know yet about #3 wait until tomorrow and we will see, something tells me she might pullout.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
at least she won. more than lucie, am i not correct?

drake3781
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Her first service :eek: :tape: :help:

Poor Myskina in Cincy, lost in 56 minutes 2-6,2-6 to a Serena who made only 59% first service...

I hope she serves better soon, because it is HER shot...

Poor ME for paying to watch it. :tape:

I reported here what a crappy match it was from BOTH players, but there was so much desire to believe S played a great match against an in-form Myskina, I didn't want to convince people who like fiction over fact.

I think we will see what S's season will shape up to be, after Sydney and AO. That will be enough basis to use; right now we watch and wait.

serenafan08
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Honestly...is all the hatred necessary? :rolleyes: She hasn't played since September, and it's only her second match of the season. For her to fight through that match is a great sign. She's struggled with players before and gone three sets with "no-names" - remember Loit at the Aussie Open in '03??? There was nothing wrong with Serena then, but she still was pushed. It's good to see that her fighting spirit is still there because it can pull her through the tough matches - like this one.

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Here I post some stats:

1.Serena's final set tiebreak record:

1998 Miami QF Serena lt Hingis 3-6 6-1 6-7(4) [had 2 MPs]
1999 Paris Indoors F Serena def Mauresmo 6-2 3-6 7-6(4)
2000 Hannover SF Serena def Mauresmo 6-2 6-7(4) 7-6(3)
2000 Los Angeles F Serena def Davenport 4-6 6-4 7-6(1)
2001 Los Angeles QF Serena lt Seles 2-6 6-3 6-7(2) [had 6 MPs]
2002 Berlin F Serena lt Henin 2-6 6-1 6-7(5) [lead 3-1 in 3rd set]

(1) all of the 5 women have been No.1
(2) all of the tournaments were tier 1 or 2
(3) all of the rounds were at least QF

WHATS THIS?
2007 Hobart 2R Serena def Safarova 6-3 3-6 7-6(5)
only a 2R of a tier 4 event/Safarova ranks 74
ITS AMAZING!!
and this woman said she will become the best again "only the matter of time"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Serena's first serve percentage since her comeback

Cincy:
1R 59% / 2R 57% / QF 59% / SF 47%

LA
1R 52% / 2R 62% / 3R 58% / QF 64% / SF 60%

US Open
1R 57% / 2R 62% / 3R 56% / 4R 70%

Hobart
1R 55% / 2R 58%

in her 15 matches since comeback,
only 1 time higher than 65% and 4 times higher than 60%
Serena's serve was one of the best on tour
she usually reached 60% before 2005 Wimbledon

show, dont tell, Serena
some people talk to talk, some people walk to walk
I dont want to see you become a joke

Honestly, no disrespect but if you expected to see the same inform Serena of those years in this second match of the season, than you're a bigger joke than you think she'll become.

Let her get her game together and if she's still playing and losing by Miami, than you have cause to worry. Hopefully, she'll stay healthy and continue to play after the AO this year. I'm just taking one match at a time with her and hopefully Vee when she returns.

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm Happy Serena is back and playing, if she stays healthy she will be back in the top ten and in elite form by year's end.

stkenyi
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Serena fights for her life
DAVID STOCKDALE

January 10, 2007 12:00am

Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
IN 1974, boxing fans were treated to the famous Rumble in the Jungle between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman.

That slug-fest was revisited yesterday when American former world No. 1 Serena Williams went toe to toe with gutsy Czech Luci Safarova in what should go down in tennis history as the Thriller at Moorilla.

In a gripping, see-sawing second-round match on the Domain centre court, the 2hr 9min 27sec epic ended in a tie-break which Williams won 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5).

In a plot only Hollywood might dream up, the clash pitted a seven-time Grand Slam-winning multi-millionaire on the comeback trail after knee surgery against a player with her right thigh bandaged who had only once got past the first round of a Slam.

A near-capacity crowd of about 1400 lapped it up and while most were supporting Williams, they still gave Safarova a standing ovation.

What the fans didn't go much on was a number of very poor line calls.

At her post-match media conference, Williams said: "I was really happy to win because I wasn't ready to go home yet.

"I wanted at least one more match before the Australian Open, so I was happy to win it."

Williams was angry with herself for making so many mistakes but for that some of the kudos must go to Safarova.

Blistered feet didn't help Williams' court coverage but there were no problems with her self-belief.

"I knew I was going to win. I felt right and I knew I was going to pull it out," she said.

The stats sheet revealed a mixed bag.

Aces of 10 to two went heavily Williams' way but they were tempered by her first-serve ratio being only 58 per cent against Safarova's 71. The affable Czech felt Williams' lengthy absence from tournament impacted on her as well as her opponent.

"I didn't know how Serena was playing because she had been a long time away from the tournaments with injury," Safarova said.

"So I lost the first set but came back well in the second.

"By the third set she was playing much better than before and then I doubled-faulted at 5-5 which was difficult for me because I knew I had to serve well on that point because if I were down 5-6, she would go for an ace."

Having not played lefthander Safarova before, Williams sought advice from her sister Venus who had.

"She gave me some good pointers but also some false information and I'll be getting back to her about that!" she said.

Not to make excuses but Serena had blistered feet, she could serve ( hence the double faults) and move. But she still won... give the girl her Kudos

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
a win is a win :shrug: Let her get her game back on track. Better her being out there scraping out wins than sitting at home and nursing her body. Everyone has off days, and once she gets back into championship form those days will come less often. She's 2-0 this year! Better than a LOT of players ranked higher than her, so I don't see the BFD :help:

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
You can please some of the people, some of the time, but not all the people, all the time. Serena is damned is she does, and damned if she doesn't. If she losses then she's merely a shadow of the player she used to be and if she wins people still find ways to criticize without fail. Maybe because I'm an optimistic kind of guy myself, but I chose to celebrate the wins and take away as much positivity I can from each match. With the likes of darrinbaker00 and other "so-called" fans, it's becoming increasingly harder and harder to differentiate between the supporters and the haters.

Kim fans didn’t get their panties in a bunch when she made her return to the tour and struggled against Jelena Kostanic in her opening match. Justine fans didn’t panic when she made her return to the tour after her layoff and struggled with the likes of Benesova, Peschke, Kirilenko, Anabel Medina, and Daniilidou. Let’s not forget about Mauresmo. Unlike the other ladies mentioned she didn’t have a lay off, but last year at this time she got her season started off with a loss to Ivanovic in straight sets (mind you, when Serena played Ivanovic later that year she was a more confident and tougher opponent and Serena still won in straights even though she still wasn’t in the best of shape.) Before Mauresmo went on to win the Australian Open last year she had a three set battle with Tiantian Sun. Even when Serena was dominating the tour she still had scares. Anyone remember Emilie Loit?

Before you can run you have to walk and before you can walk you have to crawl. Serena is crawling right now and with each match played it’s one step closer to a more confident and competitive Serena. Along the way I’m sure she’ll have some disappointments, but if she’s healthy I think her prognosis will be one that fans will be happy with.

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
You should be happy that she's willing to take a chance and put herself out there to the world and allow people to see her so far from her best. She could just say "I'm rich and accomplished enough, I'll get out now and leave my fans with the memories of my victories. I'm going to leave before I tarnish my image."
This just may be the funniest thing you've ever posted. Good job!

pigam
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
of course none of us know how much serena trains and how much she needs to train in order to be the best.

If you read/see what players like Maria, Justine and Amelie have been doing to improve (i.e; constantly hiring new people, imroving strokes, improving diets, ...) during the off season, Serena (now matter how great she is) simply cannot expect to be the best without some decent training. Fact is, we don't really know if she has been working hard. So we shouldn't really judge her. It is however just an observation that we know very little about serena -the tennisplayer- lately. Does she really train at Bollitieri, how often, does she have a well balanced diet, does she do special drills, does she still follows tennis to know what she's "up against", etc. ...

It's just all one big mystery, i think for everyone. All I am saying is, there are 100s of player who live eat breathe tennis everyday. i think serena has to do the same thing to become the best (again). Will she do it? I hope so. not going to be a hypocrite saying I want her to dominate the field again. but I do want her to be at her top level. FOR SURE. I hope she gets there.

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
She's coming back. Get ready, 'cause here she comes.

tennnisfannn
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Serena can only get better if she continues playing consistently. That said i watched lucie at the hopman cp and i was worried when i saw the draw. Lucie has been playing really good tennis and i expected the match to go either way and was thrlled serena pulled it off.
Serena seems to struggle against left handers, consider Loit, patty and now lucie.
Stay healthy serena.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Serena seems to struggle against left handers, consider Loit, patty and now lucie.

Don't forget Benesova at FEDCUP.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm extremely worried about Serena now.
Safarova might move similar to Hantuchova but she can hit a lot harder with more margin for error.
She could easily fold under the pressure of playing Serena but I think that won't be the case this time.
Watch out for Safarova Serena.

Some of you need to understand that Serena would have had issues playing Safarova even if she was at her peak fitness.

Obviously some of you have never seen Safarova when she's on her game.

Serena is playing and right now she's playing the game of a top 20 player.
Safarova knew this was probably her best chance at beating Serena similar to someone named Hantuchova last year and she went for her chance.

Serena is still dangerous. If she can find a way to beat Chakvetadze in the finals which I am sure she will make, then everyone better watch out.

tennisjunky
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Some of you need to understand that Serena would have had issues playing Safarova even if she was at her peak fitness.

Obviously some of you have never seen Safarova when she's on her game.

Serena is playing and right now she's playing the game of a top 20 player.
Safarova knew this was probably her best chance at beating Serena similar to someone named Hantuchova last year and she went for her chance.

Serena is still dangerous. If she can find a way to beat Chakvetadze in the finals which I am sure she will make, then everyone better watch out.

good call on this post and the other one you made. a lot of people are fans of the big names and dont know the other players on tour thats why they say things that dont add up. people who know tennis know that safarova on a good day can go toe to toe with anyone.

You can please some of the people, some of the time, but not all the people, all the time. Serena is damned is she does, and damned if she doesn't. If she losses then she's merely a shadow of the player she used to be and if she wins people still find ways to criticize without fail. Maybe because I'm an optimistic kind of guy myself, but I chose to celebrate the wins and take away as much positivity I can from each match. With the likes of darrinbaker00 and other "so-called" fans, it's becoming increasingly harder and harder to differentiate between the supporters and the haters.

Kim fans didnít get their panties in a bunch when she made her return to the tour and struggled against Jelena Kostanic in her opening match. Justine fans didnít panic when she made her return to the tour after her layoff and struggled with the likes of Benesova, Peschke, Kirilenko, Anabel Medina, and Daniilidou. Letís not forget about Mauresmo. Unlike the other ladies mentioned she didnít have a lay off, but last year at this time she got her season started off with a loss to Ivanovic in straight sets (mind you, when Serena played Ivanovic later that year she was a more confident and tougher opponent and Serena still won in straights even though she still wasnít in the best of shape.) Before Mauresmo went on to win the Australian Open last year she had a three set battle with Tiantian Sun. Even when Serena was dominating the tour she still had scares. Anyone remember Emilie Loit?

Before you can run you have to walk and before you can walk you have to crawl. Serena is crawling right now and with each match played itís one step closer to a more confident and competitive Serena. Along the way Iím sure sheíll have some disappointments, but if sheís healthy I think her prognosis will be one that fans will be happy with.

Honestly...is all the hatred necessary? She hasn't played since September, and it's only her second match of the season. For her to fight through that match is a great sign. She's struggled with players before and gone three sets with "no-names" - remember Loit at the Aussie Open in '03??? There was nothing wrong with Serena then, but she still was pushed. It's good to see that her fighting spirit is still there because it can pull her through the tough matches - like this one.
good post!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:56 AM
everyone's just hating :o, she won, and that's ALL that matters. You can't speculate on what this result means, because as she plays more she won't be rusty or out of shape....so blab it up all you want, when it comes down to it, Serena's putting in the work that she needs to get back to the top, and that :scared: the SHIT out of all of you, because when (hopefully if :unsure: ) she can avoid injuries and get back to the top where she belongs: IT'S ALL OVER!

She's on a JOURNEY! It won't be an easy one, and in her comeback, there will be all kinds of wins (and losses :sad: ) tight ones and runaways. This was a tight win...the kind of CONFIDENCE building win that (hopefully) may translate into playing better and more freely in the future.

She's rouding into shape after not being able to play consecutive weeks for OVER 2 YEARS! Playing the Oz will be the most consecutive tennis she's played in OVER 2 YEARS, so give her a break. Everyone has slumps, and yeah Serena still talks like she's #1, but hey :shrug: if she doesn't belive in herself who will? The haters? The "bandwagon" fans? None of us see EXACTLY what she's doing behind closed doors. All we see are her matches and some off-court stuff. We don't know what she's been doing (or hasn't been for that matter)

This is her first tournament in 4 months, and 5th in a year, so there's going to be some things that are off, and sadly (as a DIE-HARD :armed: fan) she's not in shape, or anything close to it, but as opposed to calling her a fat-cow, I choose to focus on the postitives: She's OUT THERE! WORKING! PLAYING! Playing lower tier tourneys (where the apperance $ is lower) to show how committed she is. She wasn't gonna come back from a 4 month break looking like she did in 1995-2005 (post Rome). There were other things that she was previously occupied with and limited her training.

The WS tour and the trial weighed heavily on her schedule, and we don't even know when she was even "really" healthy enough to resume training without risking injury. I'm not making excuses for her, I for one would have LOVED to have seen more pics of her like the ones in Tennis Magazine w/ her hurling a medicine ball over her head rather than partying w/ Jackie on NYE looking a little tipsy and more than a little heavy, but you know what? Let her live her damn life....she's not your tennis machine. If you wanna be her fan, you wanna support her? Be there to SUPPORT her, not tear her down when she's OBVIOUSLY putting forth an effort to get back into shape (if she didn't care, do you REALLY think she would be in HOBART?!).

Like Stefwhit said:
You can please some of the people, some of the time, but not all the people, all the time. Serena is damned is she does, and damned if she doesn't. If she losses then she's merely a shadow of the player she used to be and if she wins people still find ways to criticize without fail.

Before you can run you have to walk and before you can walk you have to crawl. Serena is crawling right now and with each match played it’s one step closer to a more confident and competitive Serena. Along the way I’m sure she’ll have some disappointments, but if she’s healthy I think her prognosis will be one that fans will be happy with.

She'll be fine! :yeah: Just have faith

sunset
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:24 AM
What a poor excuse for a tennis professional

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0109/ten_a_serena_412.jpg

serenafan08
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM

And what's that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: And you're a Jankovic fan calling another player a poor excuse for professional!??? :o :help: :bs: Jankovic is FAR from professional! Get your facts straight before you try to hate on someone.

Brooklyn90
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:43 AM
And what's that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: And you're a Jankovic fan calling another player a poor excuse for professional!??? :o :help: :bs: Jankovic is FAR from professional! Get your facts straight before you try to hate on someone.

:lol: :worship:

tennisjunky
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM
why do jankovic fans hate serena? these jankovic fans are turning into a trouble making fanbase.

supergrunt
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:46 AM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/customavatars/avatar36831_16.gif omg what is she doing? :unsure:

tennisjunky
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:47 AM
:yeah: And what's that supposed to mean? :rolleyes: And you're a Jankovic fan calling another player a poor excuse for professional!??? :o :help: :bs: Jankovic is FAR from professional! Get your facts straight before you try to hate on someone.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:53 AM

:rolleyes: the pic was taken while she was running...when you run, the force of your feet hitting the ground send shocks through your legs and your legs jiggle. Even still, "hot" celebs like Beyonce' etc. have been in unflattering pics where it looks like they have cellulite. :rolleyes: If you're gonna be a hater, come with some new game :yeah: