PDA

View Full Version : Serena blames Venus for poor showing in Hobart

Pages : [1] 2

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Serena blames Venus for poor showing in Hobart

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/88/full.getty-tennis-wta-aus-williams_3_25_17_am.jpg

Former world number one Serena Williams says bad advice from older sister Venus almost knocked her out of the Hobart International today.

Serena narrowly avoided a second-round exit, winning a tight contest against Lucie Safarova from the Czech Republic 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), and said a pre-match phone conversation with Venus did more harm than good.

"She (Venus) didn't give me any good points actually, she gave me false information so I'm going to call her back," Serena said in a post-match interview.

"She said that she played against her really tough, so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

But Serena reserved some of the blame for herself, saying she put in a poor performance ahead of the Australian Open beginning on January 15.

"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally," she said.

"I just don't know how I was even able to pull it out so I just got to get that number up."

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200701/s1824077.htm

2moretogo
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Bus meet Venus.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally,"

These statements are really :rolleyes: :o !!!
Why is she underestimating Safarova like this? I mean for crying out loud, that Safarova almoust defeated her. But she gotta played best in her life :rolleyes: Yeah for sure...

Alicia Rocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Lol!

thegoose
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Is it me or does it seem a bit odd that Serena is blaming her sister for her poor performance?? Surely it is in the end her responsibility how she plays! Don't really like these comments by Serena. :rolleyes:

Dani12
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Ummmm. What?

Ben.
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
:lol:

Dunlop1
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Man, Serena is looking fat.

ANyone have clear pics of her racquet and/or its specs?

But back to the topic. People PLEASE learn how to read.

The reporter INVENTED the headline. All Serena said was
""She (Venus) didn't give me any good points actually, she gave me false information so I'm going to call her back,"

How the reporter took this to mean Serena was blaming Venus I don't know.
It seems from the answer that she was asked prior to, if Venus had given her any tips since (venus and Lucie) had met before.

She then says ""She (Venus) said that she (Lucie) played against her really tough, so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

This may be true considering the scoreline... or maybe Serena's movement now is almost Davenport like and Lucie's normal game is enough to push Serena at this point.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Serena!!! It's my fault as well... :sad:
Sorry...

Stamp Paid
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Venus prolly got Safarova confused with someone else, LOL.

new-york
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
i'd like to know what were the bad informations.

Slumpsova
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
that is soooooooooooooo Serena :rolls:

jochem
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Well I guess Serena will never stop saying how poor she played and that's why the match was so close... runs in the family I guess

blamoh
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I don't understand why she should blame Venus. Venus will never tell her not
to play good tennis because this particular player doesn't play good tennis.
The only advice I think Venus will give Serena will be play to her right hand
or to her back hand if at all Venus had played this particular player before.

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The headline doesnt really match what Serena actually said :rolleyes:

She only said Venus gave her some bad points, not that it was actually Venus; fault she lost.

austennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Lol people here take everything so seriously .. i think that serena was jsut trying 2 be funny.. "i ask venus for help but she gave me wrong information" its just a bit of fun.. theres no reason to start saying shes immature of venus is betraying her.. and theres 1 thing the williams sisters need to learn -give you opponents credit where and when its due !!!

supergrunt
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM
:lol: Well now we now Lucie only challenged Serena because Serena played bad.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Serena is fat. . .blah. . . blah. . .blah
Serena is arrogant.. . . blah. . .blah. . .blah
Serena is rude blah. . .blah. . blah.

SERENA runs the world, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

austennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Stop going on about people critiscing serenas weight.. the truth is serena is a 'big' girl and she hardly looks like an athelete and she hardly looks like shes fit enough to challenge against 'quality' players.. :)

Kipling
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Is it me or does it seem a bit odd that Serena is blaming her sister for her poor performance?? Surely it is in the end her responsibility how she plays! Don't really like these comments by Serena. :rolleyes:

The Williamses have never--NEVER--lost or played a poor match before and not had some kind of bullshit excuse. Get used to it.

iPatty
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
serena. :rolleyes:

it's her first event and she's already stirring up trouble. lucie's a good player.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Stop going on about people critiscing serenas weight.. the truth is serena is a 'big' girl and she hardly looks like an athelete and she hardly looks like shes fit enough to challenge against 'quality' players.. :)
Trust me. . .I have no problem with people talking about Serena's weight. She's worth millions. She can take it. What I am fascinated about, though, is the total obsession with everything she says and does. She's barely in the top 100, and more of her non-fans comment on her than her fans.

I love it.;)

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
oh dear..she really looks unfit in the pic

MisterMan
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Venus beat Lucie 6-1,6-4 in Rome last year.

Not that tough !

frenchie
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Maybe Venus forgot to mention Lucie is a lefty:lol: :lol: :lol:

bridgepea
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I think we are all taking this comment too seriously. I believe the comment was made tongue in cheek, i.e. sarcasm. The relationship that exists between Venus and Serena is one that is so long lasting and enduring that there is no way that they would say anything negative about the other, especially to the media.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Where is your sense of humor, guys???

Serena was joking. Have you heard of sarcasm?

:tape: :help: :lol:

Monica_Rules
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Are the old days of if we loose its cos we play bad days coming back then?

Nothing to do with the fact that this is her 6th tournament in 18 months.

faste5683
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Where is your sense of humor, guys???

Serena was joking. Have you heard of sarcasm?

:tape: :help: :lol:

"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally,"

:wavey:

*Jean*
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Serena is just done...

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Newsflash! She said it jokingly! :weirdo:

ASP0315
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I was epecting a different excuse.(Unforced Errors, DFs, tired, sick etc ). Too bad Safarova lost the match.:sad:. She put up a hell of fight until the last minute. :yeah:

yes_sir
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
It didn't make sense.

Avid Merrion
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
lmao at Serena! :lol:
she's only doing what all us younger siblings do, dump the blame on to someone else! :angel:

Ryan
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Uh, how can what she said be taken as a joke? I love how her fans come here pretending to know what she meant by it, when they're just as ignorant as the people slamming her for it. :lol: In all honesty she probably did play a spotty match, and 2002/3 Serena would have most likely won this in straights. However, you cant take anything away from Lucie who probably played very well and took advtantage of Serena's poor movement and erratic play.

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Uh, how can what she said be taken as a joke? I love how her fans come here pretending to know what she meant by it, when they're just as ignorant as the people slamming her for it. :lol: In all honesty she probably did play a spotty match, and 2002/3 Serena would have most likely won this in straights. However, you cant take anything away from Lucie who probably played very well and took advtantage of Serena's poor movement and erratic play.

If it were someone else she was talking about, there might be some doubt, but it's Venus and when have they shown serious animosity towards each other in public off-court?

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM

:wavey:

I was refering to her words on Venus.

As for Serena playing 1/10 it was a bit of exaggeration. She was maybe at 3/10 :lol: Since I'm sure both fit and not fit Serena should beat Safarova in straights I think it was pretty dissapointing performance from Ree if she barely scraped through the third set tie-break :tape:

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Here's another article about it, this time not as sensationalist. Obviously she isn't "blaming" Venus :rolleyes:

Serena wins no thanks to Venus

SERENA Williams scraped home in a three-set thriller today and advanced to the quarter-finals of the Hobart International, despite receiving misleading pre-match information from her sister Venus.

Williams, 25, had never played Czech Lucie Safarova so she called on Venus' experience with the athletic left-hander.

Williams won a tight contest 6-3 3-6 7-6, but it was no thanks to her sister.

"I spoke to Venus before the match, she's played her before and she said that she was a tough opponent," Williams said.

"So I knew from the start she was probably going to play better than she's played in her whole life.

"But Venus didn't give me any good pointers, actually.

"She told me some false information, so I'll be calling her back about that."

A seven-time grand slam winner, Williams' comeback from knee and ankle problems is gathering momentum.

"I was really happy to win because I wasn't ready to go home yet," Williams said.

"I wanted to have at least one more match here before the Australian Open, so I was happy to win."

Williams' game was strong in the opening set, but fell apart in the second when Safarova's passing shots hit their target and the Czech forced Williams to move around the court.

The third set could have tipped in favour of either player.

In the end, Williams made fewer mistakes than she did in the second set to claim a thriller.

"It just boiled down to me not making as many mistakes," she said.

"I knew I was going to win. I didn't think I was going to lose at all.

"Maybe it was intuition, but I felt right and knew I was going to pull it out."

At times Williams looked to the heavens shouting "please", and jumped with excitement when Safarova missed her shot to deliver the American a 7-5 tie breaker win in the third.

"It's been a while since I won a tie breaker and that was in the back of my mind," she said.

"I thought I have to win this tie breaker, and more than anything that's what I was excited about, even more than winning the match."

Safarova was nervous about playing the high-profile American.

"I was pleased to see that I could play with her the same as I can play against the other girls," she said.

Williams will tomorrow play Austrian Sybille Bammer, who ousted No.2 seed Anabel Medina Garrigues today 6-4 6-3.

Australian Alicia Molik plays Ukrainian No 6 seed Alona Bondarenko in the second round showpiece on centre court tonight.

pooh14
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
i just hope serena would stop saying she made gazillion of errors, she played 1 out of 10.....come on give you opponent some credit.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
"I knew I was going to win. I didn't think I was going to lose at all.

"Maybe it was intuition, but I felt right and knew I was going to pull it out."

LOL!!!!! I love it!

griffin
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Uh, how can what she said be taken as a joke?

Easy - if you've ever listened to a recording of one of her interviews, it's very clear she spends a lot of time joking and bs'ing with people. I take 90% of what she says in interviews as a joke.

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/88/full.getty-tennis-wta-aus-williams_3_25_17_am.jpg
This must be the first time in years Serena has played in a tournament with loose-fitting clothes and not all "glammed" up. Its very odd to see. Its not the same Serena everyone is accustomed to.

Highlandman
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Interesting to see what Venus says to Serena about Bammer now :p

"and she said that she was a tough opponent"

What's wrong on it? So she said to Serena that Safarova is a hard opponent and Serena saw this today...

MH0861
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally," she said.

Charming.

BARBIE
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I take 90% of what she says in interviews as a joke.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Interesting to see what Venus says to Serena about Bammer now :p

"and she said that she was a tough opponent"

What's wrong on it? So she said to Serena that Safarova is a hard opponent and Serena saw this today...

I really don't think this is nearly as serious as some are
taking it. Regarding Venus, I thinking it was playfull chiding.

As for how she played, did anyone here see to dispute how
it is that she played? Her serve was either on or off, never
seen her broken so much.

starr
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Venus beat Lucie 6-1,6-4 in Rome last year.

Not that tough !

:rolls:
maybe that was the misinformation!

Marcell
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Serena fights for her life

DAVID STOCKDALE

January 10, 2007 12:00am

IN 1974, boxing fans were treated to the famous Rumble in the Jungle between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman.

That slug-fest was revisited yesterday when American former world No. 1 Serena Williams went toe to toe with gutsy Czech Luci Safarova in what should go down in tennis history as the Thriller at Moorilla.

In a gripping, see-sawing second-round match on the Domain centre court, the 2hr 9min 27sec epic ended in a tie-break which Williams won 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5).

In a plot only Hollywood might dream up, the clash pitted a seven-time Grand Slam-winning multi-millionaire on the comeback trail after knee surgery against a player with her right thigh bandaged who had only once got past the first round of a Slam.

A near-capacity crowd of about 1400 lapped it up and while most were supporting Williams, they still gave Safarova a standing ovation.

What the fans didn't go much on was a number of very poor line calls.

At her post-match media conference, Williams said: "I was really happy to win because I wasn't ready to go home yet.

"I wanted at least one more match before the Australian Open, so I was happy to win it."

Williams was angry with herself for making so many mistakes but for that some of the kudos must go to Safarova.

Blistered feet didn't help Williams' court coverage but there were no problems with her self-belief.

"I knew I was going to win. I felt right and I knew I was going to pull it out," she said.

The stats sheet revealed a mixed bag.

Aces of 10 to two went heavily Williams' way but they were tempered by her first-serve ratio being only 58 per cent against Safarova's 71. The affable Czech felt Williams' lengthy absence from tournament impacted on her as well as her opponent.

"I didn't know how Serena was playing because she had been a long time away from the tournaments with injury," Safarova said.

"So I lost the first set but came back well in the second.

"By the third set she was playing much better than before and then I doubled-faulted at 5-5 which was difficult for me because I knew I had to serve well on that point because if I were down 5-6, she would go for an ace."

Having not played lefthander Safarova before, Williams sought advice from her sister Venus who had.

"She gave me some good pointers but also some false information and I'll be getting back to her about that!" she said.

thrust
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
The Williams sisters are becoming a pathetic joke!

starr
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I don't think that was what Grifffin meant when she said she assumes 90% is a joke. :lol:

Highlandman
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
:rolls:
maybe that was the misinformation!

The second set in Rome was really good from both I remember.

Ryan
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
If it were someone else she was talking about, there might be some doubt, but it's Venus and when have they shown serious animosity towards each other in public off-court?

I wasn't referring to that, I was talking about her 1/10 comment.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Dear, in order for you to attack them, they must be important enough to be a target.;)

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Charming.

Fuck trying to appear charming, if that's the way she feels she's allowed to say it. The real problem to people who always complain how the sisters don't give credit to their opponents is that the sisters really don't give a shit how well their opponent played and are rarely impressed by their opponents performance.:lol: Is a player not good unless a Williams says they are good? You hater's still haven't figured out that to the sisters, "My opponent was too good" is an even worse excuse than saying "I didn't play well." In their minds when they say the latter, they're taking responsibility for their own play and acknowledging that no matter how well they're opponent is played, in the end they still didn't rise to the occasion and play at the level they're capable of. You will never hear a Williams say "She was too good, there was nothing I could do." They didn't get to where they are by believing others are just too good.

harloo
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM

She only said Venus gave her some bad points, not that it was actually Venus; fault she lost.

You know how the media does it. They take any Serena comment and spin it out of control.

She's officially back!:lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Either way they are still better off than you, you've been one since birth.

kiwifan
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Sir Nose says, "Hate, Hate, Hate."

MH0861
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Fuck trying to appear charming, if that's the way she feels she's allowed to say it. The real problem to people who always complain how the sisters don't give credit to their opponents is that the sisters really don't give a shit how well their opponent played and are rarely impressed by their opponents performance.:lol: Is a player not good unless a Williams says they are good? You hater's still haven't figured out that to the sisters, "My opponent was too good" is an even worse excuse than saying "I didn't play well." In their minds when they say the latter, they're taking responsibility for their own play and acknowledging that no matter how well they're opponent is played, in the end they still didn't rise to the occasion and play at the level they're capable of. You will never hear a Williams say "She was too good, there was nothing I could do." They didn't get to where they are by believing others are just too good.

I'm not saying Venus and Serena have to gush over the opponents they lose to or narrowly beat, but comments like that are ridiculous. Yes, she can say what she wants to -- clearly she always has and always will - but it's called being a decent and compassionate human being and sportsmanlike competitor. What a way to make Lucie Safarova, who was a mere few points away from beating Serena, feel like total and complete shit with a comment like "I was a 1 out of 10 today". What purpose does saying something like that have, anyway? Are we supposed to be impressed Serena is playing at such a low level and still won? Does telling herself she played at a 1 help her sleep at night?

She can be unhappy with the way she played. She can say she didn't play her best today. But why not leave it at that, go to the practice court if she feels her game is in such dire straits, and show some respect for your fellow competitor who was hanging with you until 7-6 in the third?

Diesel
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:04 PM

No you clearly aren't the only one who is a horrible mess. Share a laugh at your own stupidity along with your mates because it's well earned :lol: 6/10 only for repitition or else it would have been higher :yeah:

:inlove:
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry...

Hillarious. :haha: :weirdo: :help:

Serena. :drool: The devil truely is back!
But give some credit to Lucie. :rolleyes: Very disrespectful.
The Venus comments were clearly a joke. Media spins everything out of control. :rolleyes:

-sugi-
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
:o Typical.

But good luck to Serena later on in the tournament :yeah:

The Kaz
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
:p

Couver
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ok I swear some of the trolls on here need to be paying Serena and Venus some cold hard cash. Less than a week ago half of them were MIA, but as soon as Serena steps on a court, they slither out. I mean they follow her career more closely than I do. It would be pathetic if it wasn't so funny.

Serena not only makes careers, she appears to make posters lives. I wonder for a player who is so over, why so many people who say that feel the need to comment on her over and over and over again. Surely they must have better things to do? I mean say cheer for their favorite players who compared to Serena now must be so godly. LMAO. I wonder what yall will do when Serena retires? Stop posting I guess since your interest in tennis appears to be whatever Serena does or says. You see now the power she holds over you?

perseus2006
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
With Hingis out early, Serena is looking to capture the Tournament Bitch Crown with this entry: "I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally".

Mina Vagante
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
lol serena serena serena

Direwolf
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Well...I remember in about 2002
in Fed Cup match..
it was USA vs CZE(?) lols
and everyone thought that it was every match was gonna be easy...
and there was this girl who was left handed and Venus beat her easily,
while Serena had some troubles with that girl...

I think that Venus told her that she was just an easy opponent, but Lucie proved Serena wrong.. hehe

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
In the age of "suppossed"/"respected"
candor, I have a question for everyone
slamming Serena for not giving enough
"credit" to Safarova.

Would you rather Serena be straight with you
or satiate you with a pluthera of platitudes for
Safarova's game in this match when she clearly
felt her poor play was why the match became
what is was?

Also, did anyone here see the match to
dispute what Serena said?

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Looks like the joke is on you.

Here you are, no? ;)

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm sure Serena was joking. I agree with one of the earlier posts saying that Venus probably got Safarova mixed up with someone else.

Must we bring up the fact that it has been "ages" since Serena has played in a tournament and we all KNOW that when Serena was at her best, she use to win pretty easily. But the fact is, she is still on the road to recovery. I'm sure every player is very critical on the way they play their matches (win or lose). It's because Serena is a high-profile player, us fans tend to be more critical. Besides, none of us should be surprised that Serena and Venus are confident in themselves and their games. They've been on tour for what, more than 10 years or so?

vwfan
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think we are all taking this comment too seriously. I believe the comment was made tongue in cheek, i.e. sarcasm. The relationship that exists between Venus and Serena is one that is so long lasting and enduring that there is no way that they would say anything negative about the other, especially to the media.exactly! even playing badly, Serena sent her packing, so. . .where's the problem?

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ok I swear some of the trolls on here need to be paying Serena and Venus some cold hard cash. Less than a week ago half of them were MIA, but as soon as Serena steps on a court, they slither out. I mean they follow her career more closely than I do. It would be pathetic if it wasn't so funny.

Serena not only makes careers, she appears to make posters lives. I wonder for a player who is so over, why so many people who say that feel the need to comment on her over and over and over again. Surely they must have better things to do? I mean say cheer for their favorite players who compared to Serena now must be so godly. LMAO. I wonder what yall will do when Serena retires? Stop posting I guess since your interest in tennis appears to be whatever Serena does or says. You see now the power she holds over you?:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Davenselesport
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Serena not only makes careers, she appears to make posters lives. I wonder for a player who is so over, why so many people who say that feel the need to comment on her over and over and over again. Surely they must have better things to do? I mean say cheer for their favorite players who compared to Serena now must be so godly. LMAO. I wonder what yall will do when Serena retires? Stop posting I guess since your interest in tennis appears to be whatever Serena does or says. You see now the power she holds over you?

:lol: :help:
I just like how you take these comments personally. Last I checked you weren't Serena Williams...

The Dawntreader
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Oh please!:rolleyes:

Do you actually give a crap, or just stirring? Serena wins a match and suddenly she's pathetic?

Complete imbecile:rolleyes:

Dexter
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
:tape:

Craigy
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry...

OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA!! FUNNIEST THING EVER!!! YOU SHOULD BE A COMEDIAN WITH YOUR FUNNY, WITTY & INTELLIGENT COMMENTS!!! :D
:weirdo: [yet again]

MisterMan
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I took Serena's comment as the opposite of you people. I assumed Venus told Serena that Lucie was easy to beat (6-1/6-4) and that Serena found out that Lucie was very tough to beat - that's why she blamed V...for not telling her that Lucie is good.

K-Dog
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Um, Serena, if you want to know anything about Lucie, type in youtube.com and search for her. You could watch the last two games of the match with your sister from Rome. It isn't that hard.

GQGuy1
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
What are you people expecting from Serena, to get down on all fours and bow down to the girl for giving her a tough match. I think everyone knows an inshape Serena wouldn't have had any problem with that girl. I say well done to Serena for not being in the best condition and still beating that girl.

Kunal
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
ok then rena as u say

Vlover
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
How nice that Serena is resuscitating the WTA again at a teir 4 tournament.:D God knows the boost is well overdue.

BTW Serena please improve your score because the haters are furious you only scored 1/10. Maybe anything above 5 might console and comfort them.:shrug: Keep working it girl so I'll have something to look forward to at the AO:cool:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
:rolleyes: After hearing the comments of Serena Williams after her dare i say "lucky escape" from the slumping Lucie Safarova today...Oh, so Lucie is slumping, but Serena isn't?:rolleyes:

i was appalled at her attitude towards her sister Venus
Yeah because Serena really doesn't love or respect Venus.:rolleyes:

and to her opponent Lucie Safarova. She considered that that had to of been Lucie's best match in her life She didn't say Lucie played the best match of her life, she said that was what she was expecting from her going into the match.:rolleyes:

(mine you she has beaten the likes of Patty Schnyder, Na Li, Dinara Safina & Nicole Vaidisova)Yes, because overcoming an opponent who has never exhibited the mental toughness it takes to win a slam is the same as overcoming someone who has done it 7 times.:rolleyes:

and that her performance was a 1/10, she is simply is a unmodest and overhyped pig :angel:.Ok, so the 7 time slam winner is overhyped, but Patty Schnyder, Na Li, Dinara Safina & Nicole Vaidisova are formidable? :rolleyes:

And to top it all off she slags her own sister for her own "poor" performance Her actual quote was "She gave me some good pointers but also some false information and I'll be getting back to her about that!" That's far from slagging.:rolleyes:

mind you im surprised she able to play at all considering she hasnt play diddily swat in the last few years due to "injury".So you acknowledge that she hasn't played must in the past 2 years, but get offended when she says her level is low?:rolleyes:

Telling her sister off about giving her the wrong advice is a pathetic excuse for losing a match, but indeed Serena can sometimes act utterly pathetic. Her sister was trying to help from want she knew of playing and this is want serena gives her in return Saying I'm going to have a talk with her is telling her off?:lol: How pathetic are you? Venus and Serena are very close, I highly doubt this is going to cause friction between the two. In fact, I'm sure Venus was probably laughing as soon as she got off the phone with Serena. They do pull pranks on eachother you know?

If Serena is as good as she thinks she is - she wouldnt have needed the advice at all pfft :ras: Yeah, Serena only thinks she's good, she's never proved it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: But in you're opinion Lucie is slumping when she's never had that high of a perch to fall from.:lol:

Serena Williams thinks she God's gift and tennis and indeed the world freakin' world and hence she is the worst role model for kids nowadays cos she arrogant, unmodest and simply a complete and utter joke :rolleyes: Being proud of the success you've made from your hard work is the worst role model for kids nowadays?:confused: Damn, who knew you held murders, liars, and thieves in such high esteem? You should do a comedy routine because you have me cracking up. :haha:

And for the Serena lovers of this forum please don't bother posting in here :wavey:Well we could say the same about you when it comes to posting this thread. But you didn't care to please us so we don't care to please you.

disco_rage
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm glad to see Serena back... But i was totally surprised to see that pic! I can remember the last time i saw her without all the glam! She doesn't seam as fit as before.. but what do people expect. I think the outfit, playing a Tier IV event means Serena means business and thats great news.

Ive never been a fan of her in interviews etc, but i think its the way she says the words. you need to hear her say it and not just read the words. Its all about the tone! Lol

Wojtek
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM
BTW Serena please improve your score because the haters are furious you only scored 1/10. Maybe anything above 5 might console and comfort them.:shrug: Keep working it girl so I'll have something to look forward to at the AO:cool:

Well, imagine Justine has said something like: i gave 10% in that match. For Williams fans she would be the biggest bitch etc. and don't post that all here are haters - it's boring :yawn: Serena isn't saint :rolleyes: and it's normal comment for her

Jasmin
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Wow nothing has changed.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well, imagine Justine has said something like: i gave 10% in that match. For Williams fans she would be the biggest bitch etc. and don't post that all here are haters - it's boring :yawn: Serena isn't saint :rolleyes: and it's normal comment for her
Yeah, she isn't a Saint @ all. As a matter fact, let's all not post in threads about her anymore because she's so rude. I'm tired of posting in threads about somebody who's so rude, arrogant, and out of shape.

TomTennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Thank God Serena is back! :worship: 6 pages from a small (probably more misleading than EXCAT meaning) article all about a player at a Tier 4. Only Serena could do that! :worship:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
but i think its the way she says the words. you need to hear her say it and not just read the words. Its all about the tone! Lol

You're so right. Fans of Serena know her personality and how she's sometimes overly dramatic when trying to make a point. I mean what do you expect, that's what makes Serena such a news worthy character.

Williams-forever
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Oh Bad sister :armed: Serena, beat em up, no matter what:yeah:

Couver
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM
:lol: :help:
I just like how you take these comments personally. Last I checked you weren't Serena Williams...

Eh, much like Serena I'll do and say (post) whatever I like. This is a tennis message board afterall. I like that you like how personally I take these comments. But last I checked you weren't me, so by your logic don't worry about it then?

The Daviator
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Serena :lol: :worship:

Dawn Marie
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Keep on winning Serena Jay.

ayusania
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Oh Bad sister :armed: Serena, beat em up, no matter what:yeah:lol yea!

mykarma
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Sounds like Serena was probably joking around.

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Very much so.

Just astounded by how thick some people
appear to be making this into something
more than what it is.

Serena & Venus IIRC have blamed each other
(toung-in-cheek) from time to time for how they
performed in certain matches.

I think some just want to make
this into a bigger deal than it is.

treufreund
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I am sorry but it's back to her same old arrogant comments that are insensitive to her opponents. Saying that she was a 1 out of 10 after winning a match (even if said jokingly which some here CLAIM) is inexcusably arrogant, insensitive and rude. Venus would never say something so tacky. Grow up, Serena!

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I am sorry but it's back to her same old arrogant comments that are insensitive to her opponents. Saying that she was a 1 out of 10 after winning a match (even if said jokingly which some here CLAIM) is inexcusably arrogant, insensitive and rude. Venus would never say something so tacky. Grow up, Serena!

How is it "tacky" if she(who actually played the match)
felt it was true? Is she supposed to spare the "truth"
for what you feel is "PC"?

C'mon people.
It's her opinion and her truth.
Did you see her play? What is
your 1-10 assessment?

So caught up in edicate that the truth
becomes something unseemly.

I'm Fly
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Ludicrous statement, this has got to be one of the most arrogant statements I've heard. If Serena was playing at 1/10, then Lucie was at a 1.1. She needs to accept the fact that she is not that much better than the rest of the field and she needs to perform well to win. :rolleyes:

Craigy
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Uhm well she probably was playing like 1 out of 10. And what? Just because Venus and Serena are sisters they have to be exactly like each other? :shrug: Just because Venus doesn't say things like this doesn't mean that Serena can't say them.

kiwifan
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM

You'd think that would be obvious to anyone who doesn't have that same 'tired agenda'. ;)

hypocrites will be hypocrites. :tape:

Drake1980
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not saying Venus and Serena have to gush over the opponents they lose to or narrowly beat, but comments like that are ridiculous. Yes, she can say what she wants to -- clearly she always has and always will - but it's called being a decent and compassionate human being and sportsmanlike competitor. What a way to make Lucie Safarova, who was a mere few points away from beating Serena, feel like total and complete shit with a comment like "I was a 1 out of 10 today". What purpose does saying something like that have, anyway? Are we supposed to be impressed Serena is playing at such a low level and still won? Does telling herself she played at a 1 help her sleep at night?

She can be unhappy with the way she played. She can say she didn't play her best today. But why not leave it at that, go to the practice court if she feels her game is in such dire straits, and show some respect for your fellow competitor who was hanging with you until 7-6 in the third?

:rolleyes: My suggestion is to get over it. You can judge all you want, but it's not going to make a bit of difference. That's her mentality. And, it's not like I've heard any player in your signature say that anyone was ever better than them. And, please Hingis was the most egomaniacal player that ever lived. At least the WS never stooped so low as to say another female player looked like a man or that they were too fat, etc. So, if you're going to judge anyone, start with your favorites.

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Haters. :o

Don't you have your own faves you should be following around. :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Oh, so Lucie is slumping, but Serena isn't?:rolleyes:

Yeah because Serena really doesn't love or respect Venus.:rolleyes:

She didn't say Lucie played the best match of her life, she said that was what she was expecting from her going into the match.:rolleyes:

Yes, because overcoming an opponent who has never exhibited the mental toughness it takes to win a slam is the same as overcoming someone who has done it 7 times.:rolleyes:

Ok, so the 7 time slam winner is overhyped, but Patty Schnyder, Na Li, Dinara Safina & Nicole Vaidisova are formidable? :rolleyes:

Her actual quote was "She gave me some good pointers but also some false information and I'll be getting back to her about that!" That's far from slagging.:rolleyes:

So you acknowledge that she hasn't played must in the past 2 years, but get offended when she says her level is low?:rolleyes:

Saying I'm going to have a talk with her is telling her off?:lol: How pathetic are you? Venus and Serena are very close, I highly doubt this is going to cause friction between the two. In fact, I'm sure Venus was probably laughing as soon as she got off the phone with Serena. They do pull pranks on eachother you know?

Yeah, Serena only thinks she's good, she's never proved it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: But in you're opinion Lucie is slumping when she's never had that high of a perch to fall from.:lol:

Being proud of the success you've made from your hard work is the worst role model for kids nowadays?:confused: Damn, who knew you held murders, liars, and thieves in such high esteem? You should do a comedy routine because you have me cracking up. :haha:

Well we could say the same about you when it comes to posting this thread. But you didn't care to please us so we don't care to please you.

Just damn :o :haha: No wonder she deleted this post. Talk about :weirdo: :help: :lol:

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yea, I know what you mean. Same ol. . .same ol' Serena. That's why I don't post in her threads every single time her name is mentioned.

supergrunt
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM

:haha: Some people waste so much of their energy being overly critical of the Williams Sisters. Quite sad actually :lol: .

selking
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
great now that these ignorant girls are back we get to hear their idiotic rambling about what percentage they played at. I don't fucking care you almost lost to Lucie Safarova, pathetic.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
great now that these ignorant girls are back we get to hear their idiotic rambling about what percentage they played at. I don't fucking care you almost lost to Lucie Safarova, pathetic.
You don't care, yet you can't stay away. Interesting.;)

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Yeah and now that Serena is back, we get to hear idiotic ramblings from ignorant hating trolls such as yourself about what they said and what they did. If you don't care, what are you doing posting in a thread about her? Pathetic is right!!!

hingis-seles
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Serena can be so catty sometimes. I love it. :spit: :haha:

Not that I'm a hater or anything, but Martina lost, so no I don't have my own fave to follow around. :p Unless you include Monica who retired 20987348 years ago. :sad:

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
What disturbs me about some of these hating comments about Serena is that the ignorant posters who are making these idiotic comments about her joke and how arrogant she is for saying she played like a 1 out of a possible 10, don't expect her fans to react to their comments. I mean, are we supposed to agree, when we don't just because they say so? :weirdo: Oh, that's right...maybe so, because they still think Serena should behave like they think after all of these years, so why not her fans. :lol: What a bunch of maroons.

V-MAC
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM

ahem....in case you didn't notice, Serena and Venus are NOT the one person:rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
What disturbs me about some of these hating comments about Serena is that the ignorant posters who are making these idiotic comments about her joke and how arrogant she is for saying she played like a 1 out of a possible 10, don't expect her fans to react to their comments. I mean, are we supposed to agree, when we don't just because they say so? :weirdo: Oh, that's right...maybe so, because they still think Serena should behave like they think after all of these years, so why not her fans. :lol: What a bunch of maroons.

You're right, Denise. They're all a bunch of maroons. But, you're the only moron around here. And that's saying something.

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Hey Genius, as much success as they have they will never, be jokes!!! The only joke is my time wasted reading your lame post.:mad:

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
You're right, Denise. They're all a bunch of maroons. But, you're the only moron around here. And that's saying something.

Not a Bugs Bunny fan I see. :rolleyes: Now, how stupid do you feel? :lol:

P.S.
What's the matter, mommy wouldn't let you watch cartoons growing up or couldn't you afford a TV?

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Almost doesn't count my friend. And Serena has the right to talk about whatever she wants, I don't care if she would have said psychic Sylvia Brown told her she was going to win. You seem like the idiot for taking time out to read about what Serena said when you obviously don't like her, how idiotic :smash: :smash: :smash: :weirdo: .

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM

:worship:

hingis-seles
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Not a Bugs Bunny fan I see. :rolleyes: Now, how stupid do you feel? :lol:

P.S.
What's the matter, mommy wouldn't let you watch cartoons growing up or couldn't you afford a TV?

I'm conversing with you, Denise 49IQ. Naturally, I feel intelligent.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM

I'm sorry but who cares about Justine? Not Williams fans so take that paranoia elsewhere.

supergrunt
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I think Serena was joking... I think it was a joke.. some of you are too serious. :lol:

MH0861
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM
:rolleyes: My suggestion is to get over it. You can judge all you want, but it's not going to make a bit of difference. That's her mentality. And, it's not like I've heard any player in your signature say that anyone was ever better than them. And, please Hingis was the most egomaniacal player that ever lived. At least the WS never stooped so low as to say another female player looked like a man or that they were too fat, etc. So, if you're going to judge anyone, start with your favorites.

I'll be the first to admit Martina Hingis isn't the nicest or classiest player on tour - not by a longshot. But we're not talking about Martina Hingis here, or about something she said in 1999 - this particular thread is about Serena Williams and something that happened yesterday, so I don't understand why you feel the need to deflect the attention onto other players who have nothing to do with this thread. :shrug:

I don't care about the Venus/Tips comment - I think that was obviously a joke - but I did feel the need to respond to the "1/10" comment, so I did. Of course you're going to defend your favorite, but I don't think you'd like it very much if a) Someone said that after defeating you in a tennis match 7-6 in the third, or b) Someone said that after defeating Serena in a tennis match 7-6 in the third. Would you honestly have nothing to say if a player beat Serena at the Australian Open 6-3 3-6 7-6 and then said "Yeah I was awful today, I was at a 1 out of 10 for sure"?

Just my two cents. :)

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm conversing with you, Denise 49IQ. Naturally, I feel intelligent.

Yes, my intelligence seems to rub off on some of the dumbest, and that would definitely include you. :)

P.S.
And, what's up with the immature personal attacks? What did I say in that first post to offend you personally? I thought you weren't a hater.

roarke
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I was hoping that by now Serena would have learnt that no matter how innocent or self deprecating her comments are she should keep mum on most things. The tennis tour is in no way a friendly place for her and no matter what she says it will be interpreted based on people's preconceived notions of who she is as a black person. She needs to limit her answers as much to inconsequential data and not let anyone have any insight into how she feels, thinks or who she is. Giving of herself to these people serves only as ammunition for them to beat her to the ground over the simplest or the smallest things. Most people read her comments with a skewed notion of what they think she said but have absolutely no comprehension of what she truly said.
These is nothing wrong in saying that she played awful or that she got bad advice from her sister or that another player played their best against her, but most hateful ignorant people will imbue her comments with their ignorance. It is a fact that most of the players on the tour feel credible only when they beat a Williams sister. They feel thy have arrived, it is a big achievement on their resume so therefore they come to each match with prepared to fight tooth and nails unlike how they approach other matches with other players.

roarke
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I was hoping that by now Serena would have learnt that no matter how innocent or self deprecating her comments are she should keep mum on most things. The tennis tour is in no way a friendly place for her and no matter what she says it will be interpreted based on people's preconceived notions of who she is as a black person. She needs to limit her answers as much to inconsequential data and not let anyone have any insight into how she feels, thinks or who she is. Giving of herself to these people serves only as ammunition for them to beat her to the ground over the simplest or the smallest things. Most people read her comments with a skewed notion of what they think she said but have absolutely no comprehension of what she truly said.
These is nothing wrong in saying that she played awful or that she got bad advice from her sister or that another player played their best against her, but most hateful ignorant people will imbue her comments with their ignorance. It is a fact that most of the players on the tour feel credible only when they beat a Williams sister. They feel thy have arrived, it is a big achievement on their resume so therefore they come to each match with prepared to fight tooth and nails unlike how they approach other matches with other players. Knowing this she is perfectly within her right to comment on this attitude from other players.

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
disgraceful cow! she's what, 23? and still making disrespectful public comments like she's 16! as usual i will enjoy her next loss to a journeywoman

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'll be the first to admit Martina Hingis isn't the nicest or classiest player on tour - not by a longshot. But we're not talking about Martina Hingis here, or about something she said in 1999 - this particular thread is about Serena Williams and something that happened yesterday, so I don't understand why you feel the need to deflect the attention onto other players who have nothing to do with this thread. :shrug:

They have nothing to do with this thread, but what is at issue is your very harsh judgment of a player. Your favorites, as you've stated are not the nicest or classiest players on tour, so why hold Serena to a higher standard? Why judge her so harshly for something she said about herself? Besides, if you've followed tennis for the last ten years, it should come as no surprise that the WS don't give much credit to their opponents and why should they? Tennis is the only sport where I've seen people complain about opponents not giving credit to the other opponent. It's a competitive sport for God's sakes and no way would you want to give any opponent that kind of mental edge. I think it would disengenuous to do so, because you obviously don't mean it. In tennis, you're always thinking about what you could have done better to win the match, not what the opponent did.

I don't care about the Venus/Tips comment - I think that was obviously a joke - but I did feel the need to respond to the "1/10" comment, so I did. Of course you're going to defend your favorite, but I don't think you'd like it very much if a) Someone said that after defeating you in a tennis match 7-6 in the third, or b) Someone said that after defeating Serena in a tennis match 7-6 in the third. Would you honestly have nothing to say if a player beat Serena at the Australian Open 6-3 3-6 7-6 and then said "Yeah I was awful today, I was at a 1 out of 10 for sure"?

Just my two cents. :)

First of all, if that opponent is Serena Williams and she said a) that after defeating me 7-6 in the third, that she played like a 1 out of 10, I'd believe that. She is after all a formidable former No. 1 and 7 time grand slam champion. So, I wouldn't take offense at all, but be glad I won as many games as I did and pushed her that far. Lastly, no one would have the nerve to say that after defeating Serena in a tennis match 7-6 in the third, because they'd know that they played their heart out to win, and they'd know and everyone else would know that they were lying. :lol:

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM
disgraceful cow! she's what, 23? and still making disrespectful public comments like she's 16! as usual i will enjoy her next loss to a journeywoman

How rich coming from
a Hingis fan. :haha:

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM

A Hingis fan ^^^ is saying this. :haha:

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
So many excuses :help: :o

Marcell
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
When the board is this hot, you know Serena is playing. Welcome back Serena.

PatrickRyan
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

These statements are really :rolleyes: :o !!!
Why is she underestimating Safarova like this? I mean for crying out loud, that Safarova almoust defeated her. But she gotta played best in her life :rolleyes: Yeah for sure...
Why do you insist on posting in Serena threads if all you have to say is bad things about her??? :help:

volta
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM

i know right :lol: love her :hearts: :hearts: :worship: :worship: :worship:

davidmario
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM

She's the fucking Serena Williams.

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
When the board is this hot, you know Serena is playing. Welcome back Serena.Too true!!!!!

Bounty Hunter
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PatrickRyan
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I bet you a thousand dollars Serena said this while laughing...but of course... judge....judge...

Do we have a clip on this interview????

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Who cares if there's a clip?!?!? You actually think people care about this?

I'd truly forgotten the kind of response Serena got on this board. These people are rabid.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!

This is a comment made by the 95th ranked player in the world, just after she won in the second round of a tier four tournament and it has "induced" ten pages!

Seriously! You'd think people would be talking about matches in Sydney and how the top players are playing there!

Do you see the contrast?

Now THAT's Star power!!!!!

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM
This isn't an excuse you tards.

Denise! :worship: Fighting the haters off left and right! :hug: My hero!

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Anyone with two eyes and a brain could tell that Serena's tongue was firmly in her cheek when she said what she said about Venus. Some of y'all need your prescription for chill pills refilled. ;)

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Anyone with two eyes and a brain could tell that Serena's tongue was firmly in her cheek when she said what she said about Venus. Some of y'all need your prescription for chill pills refilled. ;)

And I thought you were a Serena hater?

This is the first time I've seen that you've stuck up for her. Congratulations.

PatrickRyan
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Serena was just joaking about that. It wasn't like she was pissed and balmed how she played on Vee. But Vee just gave her bad info.

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM

You have your moments Darrin. :yeah:

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM

the difference between the two is that hingis grew up and serena never has :wavey:

hingis is always classy in defeat -- she hasn't acted like a teenager since she was one! serena, however... :tape:

at least she's not as embarassingly juvenile and disrespectful as her sister

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM
the difference between the two is that hingis grew up and serena never has :wavey:

hingis is always classy in defeat -- she hasn't acted like a teenager since she was one! serena, however... :tape:

at least she's not as embarassingly juvenile and disrespectful as her sister*cough* French. . .*cough* Open(=). . .*cough*. . .'99.

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM
And I thought you were a Serena hater?
That's what you get for thinking..... ;)

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM

heylookanidiot.

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
*cough* French. . .*cough* Open(=). . .*cough*. . .'99.

o rly?!?

she hasn't acted like a teenager since she was one!

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:54 PM
o rly?!?Oh, ok, I get it. . . she was 13 in '99, right?

She was old enough to know not to walk onto that other woman's side of the court in order to try to make an out call.

Then again, this thread is about Serena, so I'm glad you're around.;)

aisha
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:21 PM
10 PAGES?!? :haha: :haha:

MH0861
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM
They have nothing to do with this thread, but what is at issue is your very harsh judgment of a player. Your favorites, as you've stated are not the nicest or classiest players on tour, so why hold Serena to a higher standard? Why judge her so harshly for something she said about herself? Besides, if you've followed tennis for the last ten years, it should come as no surprise that the WS don't give much credit to their opponents and why should they? Tennis is the only sport where I've seen people complain about opponents not giving credit to the other opponent. It's a competitive sport for God's sakes and no way would you want to give any opponent that kind of mental edge. I think it would disengenuous to do so, because you obviously don't mean it. In tennis, you're always thinking about what you could have done better to win the match, not what the opponent did.

Well, I said that Hingis isn't the nicest or classiest player on tour. I happen to think Lindsay Davenport, all in all, is one of them. She's not perfect, but she's up there as one of the nicest/classiest. Same with Mary Pierce. And Kirilenko barely wins matches anymore so she should be nice. ;)

Oh believe me, I know this is typical behavior of them, but I guess some things never change. I would have thought her current predicament and tough times these last two years would have mellowed and humbled her enough to react otherwise post-matches.

As for the giving credit thing -- tennis is one of the few one on one sports. It's just you and your opponent - nobody else. Most of the other sports in the world are team sports - Baseball, basketball, American/International football, hockey, etc etc. Golf is close, but you're still playing against many, many other people at once at the same time - same with swimming, track, etc. It's a much more personal sport, and that's why I think it's different in this case.

As I said before, I don't expect Serena nor anyone else to sing the undying praises of anyone they beat and/or narrowly lose to, but for God's sakes - does she really have to announce that she felt like she played at a 1 out of 10 at a freaking Tier IV warm up event match against someone ranked 72 in the world? Why be so over the top in being condescending? I just don't get it. :shrug: I don't understand why she couldn't just say, "I didn't play my best but I toughed out the win"? Likewise, I would expect the same out of my favorite players, and I would criticize them absolutely the same if they did the same thing.[/quote]

First of all, if that opponent is Serena Williams and she said a) that after defeating me 7-6 in the third, that she played like a 1 out of 10, I'd believe that. She is after all a formidable former No. 1 and 7 time grand slam champion. So, I wouldn't take offense at all, but be glad I won as many games as I did and pushed her that far. Lastly, no one would have the nerve to say that after defeating Serena in a tennis match 7-6 in the third, because they'd know that they played their heart out to win, and they'd know and everyone else would know that they were lying. :lol:

Well I didn't mean if it was you playing Serena. ;) I just meant in general -- imagine you were a professional tennis player, or even just playing a match against anyone, even non-professionally. If that person beat you 7-6 in the third set and subsequently announced to everyone watching you that they were "On a scale of 1-10 playing at a 1", you'd feel terrible and take offense to that, I think. I know I would.

And ahh, you hit the nail right on the head. It takes a lot of nerve to make a statement like that. :p

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Well, I said that Hingis isn't the nicest or classiest player on tour. I happen to think Lindsay Davenport, all in all, is one of them. She's not perfect, but she's up there as one of the nicest/classiest. Same with Mary Pierce. And Kirilenko barely wins matches anymore so she should be nice. ;)

Oh believe me, I know this is typical behavior of them, but I guess some things never change. I would have thought her current predicament and tough times these last two years would have mellowed and humbled her enough to react otherwise post-matches.

As for the giving credit thing -- tennis is one of the few one on one sports. It's just you and your opponent - nobody else. Most of the other sports in the world are team sports - Baseball, basketball, American/International football, hockey, etc etc. Golf is close, but you're still playing against many, many other people at once at the same time - same with swimming, track, etc. It's a much more personal sport, and that's why I think it's different in this case.

As I said before, I don't expect Serena nor anyone else to sing the undying praises of anyone they beat and/or narrowly lose to, but for God's sakes - does she really have to announce that she felt like she played at a 1 out of 10 at a freaking Tier IV warm up event match against someone ranked 72 in the world? Why be so over the top in being condescending? I just don't get it. :shrug: I don't understand why she couldn't just say, "I didn't play my best but I toughed out the win"? Likewise, I would expect the same out of my favorite players, and I would criticize them absolutely the same if they did the same thing.

Well I didn't mean if it was you playing Serena. ;) I just meant in general -- imagine you were a professional tennis player, or even just playing a match against anyone, even non-professionally. If that person beat you 7-6 in the third set and subsequently announced to everyone watching you that they were "On a scale of 1-10 playing at a 1", you'd feel terrible and take offense to that, I think. I know I would.

And ahh, you hit the nail right on the head. It takes a lot of nerve to make a statement like that. :p[/quote]
Yea. . .that Serena is pretty rude. Let's not post in her threads.;)

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Yes it's getting hot in here!!! It's so hot, I have to bring this little guy out :devil:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
:lol: Well now we now Lucie only challenged Serena because Serena played bad.

Isn't that how it always is when someone beats or challenges Serena :lol: Anywho...atleast she pulled it out:yeah:

kiwifan
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: Post of...probably the whole month!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Lulu.
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
This is crazy :lol:

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Makes me sorry I even posted this article. :smash: :banghead:

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:48 PM
LOL!!!!!

I'm glad you posted it.

mykarma
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM
:lol::lol::lol::tape:

mykarma
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:17 AM
heylookanidiot.

mykarma
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Hingis grew up when the sisters started beating that ass like a drum. When you're getting beat so bad that you retire, there's not much one can say. :tape:

SelesFan70
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I have a feeling those are light-hearted comments taken in the worst possible light by Serena haterzzzzzz. :)

supergrunt
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Hingis grew up when the sisters started beating that ass like a drum. When you're getting beat so bad that you retire, there's not much one can say. :tape:

:haha:

Lulu.
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Serena is so popular. I love it :D

PatrickRyan
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM

:worship:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM

As are you for repeating this exact statement from another thread. Grow up.

hingisGOAT
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:15 AM

indeed, all hingis could do was return from retirement, win her last match against a williams sister, and leapfrog both of them in the rankings

mykarma
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:01 AM
indeed, all hingis could do was return from retirement, win her last match against a williams sister, and leapfrog both of them in the rankings
Hell, that's nothing to bragg about. 94 other people are ahead of Serena in the rankings. Plus,with all of the rest Hingis had, she should be number 1 by now. :lol:

PatrickRyan
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Hell, that's nothing to bragg about. 94 other people are ahead of Serena in the rankings. Plus,with all of the rest Hingis had, she should be number 1 by now. :lol:

too bad hingis was sent home crying in 03 becasuse she couldnt handle the Big Bad Williams Sisters.

hingisGOAT
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:15 AM
too bad hingis was sent home crying in 03 becasuse she couldnt handle the Big Bad Williams Sisters.

i bet you thought hingis would never return :lol:

tell me, how does it feel to know that she has returned -- as a better player than both venus and serena? :devil:

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:23 AM

tell me, how does it feel to know that she has returned -- as a better player than both venus and serena? :devil:
Go on. . .admit it. . you've been longing for one of these kinds of arguments with the Willliams fans again haven't you?;)

You can admit it. . .WS fans are cool. We won't get mad at you if you finally went ahead and admitted it.;)

hingisGOAT
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Go on. . .admit it. . you've been longing for one of these kinds of arguments with the Willliams fans again haven't you?;)

You can admit it. . .WS fans are cool. We won't get mad at you if you finally went ahead and admitted it.;)

indeed, i could not be happier with the turn of the tides. i admit it!

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Venus beat Hingis on a CLAY surface, after a 4 month layoff, while Hingis had been playing consistently well for MONTHS. Now, who is the better player? :devil:

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM
indeed, i could not be happier with the turn of the tides. i admit it!Umm.. . I wouldn't say the tides have necessarily turned yet.;)

Paneru
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:29 AM

I bet you actually thought we
actually cared one way or the other. ;)

Great. It's so great that she has returned.

A better player than V&S? :lol:

Unlike her, they were injured.
They didn't runaway. ;)

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:29 AM
indeed, i could not be happier with the turn of the tides. i admit it!

What tides have turned? I don't think Venus or Serena are envious of ANY of Martina's results since her comeback. Besides, with all the tournaments she has played, she should be No.1 right now, but she won't get there by losing to Sugiyama and Razzano in the early stages of grand slams. Hell, she won't even get there by losing to player's who have taken a 4-month injury lay-off as we witnessed with Venus last year.

hingisGOAT
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Venus beat Hingis on a CLAY surface, after a 4 month layoff, while Hingis had been playing consistently well for MONTHS. Now, who is the better player? :devil:

the one who won their last match in the semifinals of a Tier I, leads their h2h, leads their Slam h2h, is higher ranked, has more titles, more records, and more doubles accomplishments?

hingisGOAT
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Unlike her, they were injured.
They didn't runaway. ;)

hingis had two well documented foot and ankle surgeries at the end of her career. her doctor said it would be 'impossible' for her to continue playing. hingis is a triumph of will and talent :worship:

the only thing well documented about the williams' sisters long, repeated absences from the sport is their obsession with cheeseburgers and appearances on 'worst dressed' lists

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
the one who won their last match in the semifinals of a Tier I, leads their h2h, leads their Slam h2h, is higher ranked, has more titles, more records, and more doubles accomplishments?

This thread isn't about Venus anyway. SO let's move to Serena, who owns Hingis in head-to-head, GS head-to-head, and more grand slams. Besides, Venus and Hingis are tied in Grand Slam titles now. Hingis has not done much as an adult even before the 3-year layoff. :)

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:37 AM

How can she be better than players that haven't play much tennis in the past 18 months??? You can't make an assessment on whose better when players are not even playing, but one thing I can assess, since Hingis has returned she has more defeats under her belt in one season than Venus and Serena have in the past 18 months put together!!!! By Williams standards 19 defeats in one season is unacceptable!!!

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM
hingis had two well documented foot and ankle surgeries at the end of her career. her doctor said it would be 'impossible' for her to continue playing. hingis is a triumph of will and talent :worship:

the only thing well documented about the williams' sisters long, repeated absences from the sport is their obsession with cheeseburgers and appearances on 'worst dressed' lists

Don't forget to mention that Serena was the winner of an unprecedented 4 in a row:

2002 French Open
2002 Wimbledon
2002 US Open
2003 Austrailian Open :worship:

Those cheeseburgers and "worst dress list" appearances aren't NEARLY as noteworthy than the achievement above. Deal with it.

miffedmax
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Sounds to me like a little sis dogging the big sis.

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM

C'mon, dude, are you serious about Hingis? Her last two Slams, she lost to 46 year old Ai Sugiyama and to Virginie Razanno who looks about 80 after she's cleaned herself up.

It would be kinda hard to overhype the Hingis machine right now.

Asaph
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM
This is totally pathetic how angry these idiots are about an obviously sarcastic comment by Serena. She always talks like this. If you listen to her interviews over the years she always answers in a snarky, sarcastic tone of voice. The fans all know what this is really about. Any excuse for the haters to call 2 accomplished African-American young women vulgar names, who if they retired tomorrow will have left their mark in history while these haters will be forgotten and never remembered for anything of consequence. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves. Even though it only shows them as the pathetic losers they truly are.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Those doctors were right Hingis did have foot and ankle problems, that's where her pride sunk and was causing all the swelling and pain. Fours years ago, she had to play 100 tourneys just to stay in the top and she's back and still has to play 100 tourneys to maintain a top ranking. Four years later she is still being dominated by the heavy hitters. :lol: :lol: Some thing never change!

UDACHi
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:44 AM
oh, so venus forgot to warn her it's hard to play well when you're fat?

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM
C'mon, dude, are you serious about Hingis? Her last two Slams, she lost to 46 year old Ai Sugiyama and to Virginie Razanno who looks about 80 after she's cleaned herself up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :worship: :worship:

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Okay, Serena's excuse is that she is fat. What is Elena's excuse since she is perfectly fit?

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:47 AM

No, Venus forgot to tell Elena D. how to win a slam and big shiny gold olympic medal.

supergrunt
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Okay, Serena's excuse is that she is fat. What is Elena's excuse since she is perfectly fit?

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:51 AM
No, Venus forgot to tell Elena D. how to win a slam and big shiny gold olympic medal.
NICE!!!!!

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:01 AM
What tides have turned? I don't think Venus or Serena are envious of ANY of Martina's results since her comeback. Besides, with all the tournaments she has played, she should be No.1 right now, but she won't get there by losing to Sugiyama and Razzano in the early stages of grand slams. Hell, she won't even get there by losing to player's who have taken a 4-month injury lay-off as we witnessed with Venus last year.

Well, they should be envious of the fact that Martina was able to play a full and complete season. Serena hasn't been able to do it for years.

Yeah, those were dodgy losses for sure. Just like Venus won't get anywhere by losing to Pironkova, Karantancheva or Jankovic early in slams. Or Serena losing to Hantuchova or Craybas early in slams.

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Yeah. Venus prefers to lose to 14 year olds. :)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Well, they should be envious of the fact that Martina was able to play a full and complete season. Serena hasn't been able to do it for years.

Yeah, those were dodgy losses for sure. Just like Venus won't get anywhere by losing to Pironkova, Karantancheva or Jankovic early in slams. Or Serena losing to Hantuchova or Craybas early in slams.

This coming from a DAVENPORT fan???!! :haha::haha::haha:

Still bitter over the Australian Open final I see.........

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM

But Hingis was 100% fit and healthy during those losses. Serena and Venus were not. And regarding that loss to Karantacheva, that was around the time Karanatacheva started her doping sessions so that loss was fraudulent. If you look back at the history of Karantacheva's doping abuse, it started right before the French Open, so it's obvious that she was on something there, as that French Open was her best tournament ever. Serena was out of shape (nobody's fault but her own though) against Craybas and Hantuchova. Venus eluded to the fact that she was a bit injured against Pironkva so it appears that Venus or Serena weren't 100% fit and/or healthy during these losses. Hingis was fit, healthy and revved up and ready to go, while if Venus and Serena are 100% healthy, those losses would never occur.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Well Venus did get somewhere after losing to Karantancheva, she went on to win the next slam in the most glamorous and dramatic fashion. :worship: :worship:

And to Venus' credit she had just come back for injury lay-offs when she lost to Pironkova and Jankovic and let's not forget she was injuryed when she played Jankovic at winmby. When Hingis went out to AI and Raz she already played like 80 tourneys and was injury free and match tough!

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Yeah. Venus prefers to lose to 14 year olds. :)Wasn't that little girl on speed or something? I can't remember. Isn't she the one who got busted for juicing?

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM

I heard Martina was playing at like... 3.9% of her capabilities in that match, and if she had played at 4% she would have won in straight sets. :)

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Please don't bring that fraud Karantacheva into this unless you want to defend her doping actions. Like I said, Venus losing to Karantacheva at the French Open that year was around the height of her doping allegations so we know she was doping at the time. Karantacheva's career is several tainted even when she comes back because of the doping, something Venus NEVER has to worry about again. So, if I were you, I'd be weary of bringing her cheating name into this or you will have to be defending her alot.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM

Yes, 16 year olds who are doped and make the hearts of Barry Bonds, Mark Maguire, Sammie Sosa proud. I know they had tears of joy in their eyes when she beat Venus ;) ;)

G1Player2
Wasn't that little girl on speed or something? I can't remember. Isn't she the one who got busted for juicing?

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. :yeah:

RunDown

:D

MH0861
Wasn't that little girl on speed or something? I can't remember. Isn't she the one who got busted for juicing?

Yep. :D

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I heard Martina was playing at like... 3.9% of her capabilities in that match, and if she had played at 4% she would have won in straight sets. :)

:weirdo: That didn't even make sense.

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Yep. :DLOL! You are wrong! LMAO!!!!!:lol:

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Yes, 16 years old that are pumped up on roids, who makes the hearts of Barry Bonds, Mark Maguire, Sammie Sosa proud. I know they had tears of joy in their eyes when she beat Venus ;) ;)

Oh yes. I hope all those grand slams and Tier I titles Sesil won while on steroids will be revoked. :) Oh wait, she only had 2 Top 20 victories to her name, including Venus.

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Please don't bring that fraud Karantacheva into this unless you want to defend her doping actions. Like I said, Venus losing to Karantacheva at the French Open that year was around the height of her doping allegations so we know she was doping at the time. Karantacheva's career is several tainted even when she comes back because of the doping, something Venus NEVER has to worry about again. So, if I were you, I'd be weary of bringing her cheating name into this or you will have to be defending her alot.

I was more referring to the "youngsters" Venus has tended to lose to as of late, much like someone said Martina was losing to 80 year old fossils in Sugiyama and Razzano (who is 23!)

Paneru
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Hmmm....if a body type such a Venus' is obtained
through cheeseburgers, point me towards the
nearest stop! :cool:

Also, I've never witnessed Venus
on a worst dressed list. Yet, if she
were, that's may be because someone
cared to watch her.

Then again, why would I expect you to know
any factual info. on those whom you hate.

No amount of hating will make Martina any
better. You know that, right? :cool:

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I was more referring to the "youngsters" Venus has tended to lose to as of late, much like someone said Martina was losing to 80 year old fossils in Sugiyama and Razzano (who is 23!)Razzano ain't no damn 23.

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Razzano ain't no damn 23.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/Playerbio.asp?PlayerID=180384

DOB: May 12, 1983 :)

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:22 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/Playerbio.asp?PlayerID=180384

DOB: May 12, 1983 :)DAYUM!!!!!

Height 5' 8'' (1.73 m)

Status

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/graphics/space.gif
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photos/150x200/180384.jpg

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Well Martina better start playing at 110% because she already has 21 losses since her comeback and unless she starts playing only tier IV events at the rate she is going she will have about 40 losses by year's end. That's 27 less than Serena's losses for her whole career how sad.:sad: :sad: :sad:

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
DAYUM!!!!!

I know, right? :eek:

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Well Martina better start playing at 110% because she already has 21 losses since her comeback and unless she starts playing only tier IV events at the rate she is going she will have about 40 losses by year's end. That's 27 less than Serena's losses for her whole career how sad.:sad: :sad: :sad:

Yeah, Serena is always stealing Martina's thunder. Maybe she can pass her and show her how to work it as a Tier IV queen this week too! Martina failed miserably. :sad:

Yeah. And Martina also has over 200 more career victories, so...

Pureracket
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I know, right? :eek:LOL!!!!! No way she's 23.:eek:

DAYUM!!!!!

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Yeah, Serena is always stealing Martina's thunder. Maybe she can pass her and show her how to work it as a Tier IV queen this week too! Martina failed miserably. :sad:

Yeah. And Martina also has over 200 more career victories, so... it evens out with Serena's career losses. :)

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Yeah. And Martina also has over 200 more career victories, so...

At the rate Martina is going she will have 500 career losses in no time and Serena will still have better win loss %'s than her. :lol:

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:31 AM
At the rate Martina is going she will have 500 career losses in no time and Serena will still have better win loss %'s than her. :lol:

Yeah, but that's because Serena plays three matches a year so it's hard for her to screw her % up that much. ;)

darrinbaker00
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Dope or no dope, Venus should not have lost to Karatantcheva. Period.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Yeah, but that's because Serena plays three matches a year so it's hard for her to screw her % up that much. ;)

In the past four years Serena has lost 28 matches and Hingis will match that record by May.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Dope or no dope, Venus should not have lost to Karatantcheva. Period.

Who cares if she lost to Karatantcheva she went on to make history 2 weeks later, that's the best way to redeem yourself don't cha think :confused: :confused:

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:49 AM
In the past four years Serena has lost 28 matches and Hingis will match that record by May.

Yeah, but she's also only played 34 tournaments in the past 4 years. Martina has always been one to overplay and Serena underplay, I don't think the fact that Serena has so few losses speaks that much, considering '05 and '06. :shrug: What is impressive is the slams she has won in the last four years.

aussy89
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:52 AM
im sorry but i jus had to laugh at this thread, cause its no one elses fault but serena, not every player on the tour has a sister they can go ask oh wats this player like, and safarova is a good player so i jus blame it on serenes poor play, i dont no how she actually played cause i dnt care, but i think bit harsh to blam it on ur sis, meh as u can tell im nt a fan of the sisters, but i jus thought it was perthetic , anyways enough of my ranting lol, jus wanted to let it out ahahahha.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Yeah, but she's also only played 34 tournaments in the past 4 years. Martina has always been one to overplay and Serena underplay, I don't think the fact that Serena has so few losses speaks that much, considering '05 and '06. :shrug: What is impressive is the slams she has won in the last four years.

Serena is 168-28 in the last four years those are still good number considering she has played part-time since 2003!!! Yes Hingis has no choice but to over-play that's the only way she can retain a top ten ranking.
Also Serena has been in "slump" since 04 yet her record is still better than Martina's record in her "great" comeback. Serena is 74-20

darrinbaker00
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Who cares if she lost to Karatantcheva she went on to make history 2 weeks later, that's the best way to redeem yourself don't cha think :confused: :confused:
True, she won her third Wimbledon singles title, but "make history?" Come on, now.

MH0861
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Serena is 168-28 in the last four years those are still good number considering she has played part-time since 2003!!! Yes Hingis has no choice but to over-play that's the only way she can retain a top ten ranking.
Also Serena has been in "slump" since 04 yet her record is still better than Martina's record in her "great" comeback. Serena is 74-20

I don't really care. :shrug: Serena also has won many more recent slams than Martina too, but it doesn't really matter to me. It's frustrating that Martina is losing to some players she should be beating as of late, but after 3 years without her in the game, I'm glad I can follow her week in and week out.

Martina's comeback was great because she returned from a 3 year layoff and almost beat Kim Clijsters at the AO practically right off the bat. True, the comeback hit quite a few bumps by mid-year, but it was still a great comeback. Nobody thought she'd be in the Top 10, let alone score victories over Sharapova, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Petrova etc etc. Maybe the Williams Sisters should take a long, extended amount of time off like Martina instead of coming back at various intervals of the year only to get re-injured each and every time.

Martina didn't play at all from 03-05, and you can argue whether she ran away from the game or not, that's fine. But she didn't play. I don't think it's fair to compare Serena's record from 2003-2006 to Martina's 2006. Both players were in action in 2006, and Martina had a better year. No slams, but a better year nonetheless. I'm curious to see what '07 brings for both.

winone23
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:08 AM
True, she won her third Wimbledon singles title, but "make history?" Come on, now.

Well she did make history she won the longest final in wimbledon history and she was lowest seed to ever win the title, so yes she made history!!! :worship: :worship:

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Only 4 or 5 women have won 3 Wimbledon crowns.

darrinbaker00
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Only 4 or 5 women have won 3 Wimbledon crowns.
There have been a lot more than four or five, my friend:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/history/rolls/ladiesroll.html

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:37 AM
There have been a lot more than four or five, my friend:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/history/rolls/ladiesroll.html

Ummm, maybe a couple more. But a LOT more is stretching it.

Dawn Marie
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Serena is back. I can tell because of these long threads based on some normal comments. LOL!

Serena win this title! JAZ DO IT!

Aaron.
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM
This thread made my day :haha: :weirdo: Thanks Paneru :)

darrinbaker00
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Ummm, maybe a couple more. But a LOT more is stretching it.
Martina Navratilova - 9
Helen Wills Moody - 8
Steffi Graf - 7
Dorothea Douglass Chambers - 7
Suzanne Lenglen - 6
Billie Jean King - 6
Charlotte Dod - 5
Charlotte Cooper Sterry - 5
Louise Brough - 4
Maureen Connolly - 3
Maria Bueno - 3
Margaret Smith Court - 3
Chris Evert - 3
Venus Williams - 3
-------------------------------------------------
You were right the first time; five women have won three Wimbledon singles titles. Nine women have won more than three. ;)

Dawn Marie
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Serena is back. I can tell because of these long threads based on some normal comments. LOL!

Serena win this title! JAZ DO IT!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM
:yeah: She's back! No one can generate these many posts as Serena :cool:

darrinbaker00
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM
:yeah: She's back! No one can generate these many posts as Serena :cool:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, my friend. ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM
hey, 16 page thread off of a tongue in cheek remark she made about her sister...not bad at all ;)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:13 AM
hey, 16 page thread off of a tongue in cheek remark she made about her sister...not bad at all ;)

Remebering that like 70% of the posts are coming from Serena fans in the first place. ;)

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Remebering that like 70% of the posts are coming from Serena fans in the first place. ;)

Whatever Tim. Maybe if the trolls/haters wouldn't come in here, or respond to our posts and bait arguments, we wouldn't post in here as much. :weirdo:

G1Player2
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Martina Navratilova - 9
Helen Wills Moody - 8
Steffi Graf - 7
Dorothea Douglass Chambers - 7
Suzanne Lenglen - 6
Billie Jean King - 6
Charlotte Dod - 5
Charlotte Cooper Sterry - 5
Louise Brough - 4
Maureen Connolly - 3
Maria Bueno - 3
Margaret Smith Court - 3
Chris Evert - 3
Venus Williams - 3
-------------------------------------------------
You were right the first time; five women have won three Wimbledon singles titles. Nine women have won more than three. ;)

OPEN ERA silly. They had less sets, games, and matches in route to Wimbledon titles before the Open Era.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
;) :lol: hey well....still :lol:

Rub
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM

~Eclipsed~
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
this is too funny!:lol:

Stamp Paid
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I'm 95% sure that Safarova doesn't give a damn what Serena says, she knows how well she played.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Well i hope she does pick it up

Denise4925
Jan 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Oh please, Lindsay could be very catty in her earlier years. She said some very nasty things about the sisters when they first came on the scene. In fact, all of the players did and they thought it was acceptable because they didn't think that the WS would ever amount to anything on the tour but hype. It was only after they started to prove themselves on court did they get some semblance of respect from the other players.

Who is "them"? We are still talking about Serena, are we not? Humbled???!!! She's a 7 time grand slam champion. Why should she change? Like I said, I don't see anything wrong with having confidence, especially in such in individual sport.

It is different, in that you don't have the support of teammates to back and support you. You have to hold yourself up and have a lot of confidence to play such an individual sport and you have to show that confidence and swagger on and off court, because if your opponent has one iota of a hint that you've lost your confidence, that's a nail in the coffin.

As I said before, I don't expect Serena nor anyone else to sing the undying praises of anyone they beat and/or narrowly lose to, but for God's sakes - does she really have to announce that she felt like she played at a 1 out of 10 at a freaking Tier IV warm up event match against someone ranked 72 in the world? Why be so over the top in being condescending? I just don't get it. :shrug: I don't understand why she couldn't just say, "I didn't play my best but I toughed out the win"? Likewise, I would expect the same out of my favorite players, and I would criticize them absolutely the same if they did the same thing.

But see, that's where we differ in opinion and believe me, that's all it is, opinion on both our parts. I don't think she was being condescending. Just factual as she sees it. :shrug: Why would she need to be condescending to a player so beneath her? I don't think condescention even crossed her mind. This was her mindset, as I see it, after playing such a tough match against someone who's never made it past the first round of a grand slam.

And ahh, you hit the nail right on the head. It takes a lot of nerve to make a statement like that. :p

I meant it in general too. :shrug: And, the thing is we are talking about what Serena said. Serena...a former No. 1, 7 time grand slam champion. Not just anybody. There's no comparison of someone in my league or some average tennis player saying the same thing. Yeah, it does take a lot of nerve, but if you've got the credentials to back it up, who's going to say shit to you about it?? :wavey:

Denise4925
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Were you asleep during the US Open?

!<blocparty>!
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
No v2.0 thread yet?

Serena hustled out of Hobart

MELBOURNE, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Heaving and screeching around court, Serena Williams finally ran out of steam at the Hobart International on Wednesday. On the day when elder sister Venus confirmed that she would be skipping the Australian Open after failing to recover from a wrist injury, Serena's own return from a four-month layoff came to halt with a 3-6 7-5 6-3 quarter-final defeat by Austrian Sybille Bammer.

"I've never seen her play like this before in my life. I guess she was just up to play me," Serena said. "I don't think I played that well, I made a lot of unforced errors but I'm a little rusty so I've just got to try and shake it off before I go to Melbourne (for the Australian Open). "I just got a little bit sore (in the third set), but I wasn't really tired. My body was just feeling sore."

"I think she played the match of her life," Williams said. "I've never heard of her quite frankly. I didn't play that well and I made a lot of unforced errors. I think I'm a little rusty. You wish these players would play like this all the time instead of just against me. She played unbelievable."

She played the match of her life yet she's never heard of her. :p:p

Denise4925
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
No v2.0 thread yet?

She played the match of her life yet she's never heard of her. :p:p
Obviously!

hingis-seles
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM
To be fair, Lindsay wasn't a "classy" player. That's how the media chose to portray her. Remeber 1998, when she called Serena a "wimp" for pulling out of her singles match at Wimbledon because "she was getting her ass kicked"? Or how about when she kicked Alexandra Stevenson's racquet bag across the locker room and referred to her as a "fucking junior". Lindsay's really cool and I love how she was always so frank and straightforward, but to call her "nice" and "classy" would be pushing it. I'm sure even she'd disagree. ;)