PDA

View Full Version : Hobart 2R: Serena Williams def. Lucie Safarova 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5)

skumars
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Woo hoo!! What a close match.

Keadz
Good Job

skumars
Awful play, Serena!

piercerocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Way To Go Ree!

selyoink
Such a close match. I thought Lucie had it a number of times.

Great fight from Serena but she will really need to improve if she is to make noise in Melbourne.

Venus+Serena#1fan
heartattack!!!! great fight, she needs these kinds of matches too.

Brooklyn90
omg i was so fucking nervous!

tae04
Oh God, Serena... Whew.... Lots of practice this evening.

supergrunt
I almost hada heart attack.. :tears: Serena fought!!! Amazing! :bounce: Her first tie-break win since '04! :aparty:

cartmancop
Thank goodness she made it through!!

This will be good for her in the big picture to have a tight match and to survive it :D Keep it up Serena!

pcrtennis
woah.....but these should only help her with match play....the more balls she has to hit the better.

MrSerenaWilliams
Yes!

southpaw58
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Geez I could not breathe! Serena you gotta step up your game. Don't be giving your fans this panic attacks.

I gotta give props to Safarova.

KEEP GOING SERENA!

Brooklyn90
Great job ree!!! :bounce:

MrSerenaWilliams
Yes!

Cat's Pajamas
Lucie compeletely choked away that lead in the tiebreak. Then a double fault at 5-5. :o

Good win Serena! :yeah: I'm sure you'll make the final but you'll probably be exhausted by then :help:

Australian Open title here we come! :haha: :o :haha:

Lefty.
Wow, Serena gutted it out! :yeah:

Do pick up your play some though. ;) 10 aces isn't too bad :p , but the 6 DFs could be worked on.

Lucie :hug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Rena why do you do this?

Jeff
Serena...gee give me a heart attack there :o Definetly didn't expect this, although Lucie if she is having a good day can be very dangerous with her intensity and groundstrokes. But this shows that Serena can hold out in longer matches and has fight in her. Good job girl ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
what a close match...this was GREAT! What fight! her first TB since 2004 YEC :bounce:

skumars
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Number of DFs = 6, 1st serve % = 58%

Not the way to go, to AO'07.

pav
Bugger it:sad: can we say saved by the serve:confused:

Vaidisova
:eek: Serena glad you pulled it out.

darrinbaker00
omg i was so fucking nervous!
Why?

sweetpeas
sERENA,Please let"s not hurt ourself! PLEASE.

SelesFan70
> 2 hours! :eek:

Serena, you're killing me! Now I can go to bed! :)

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Serena :woohoo:

This should get shake off some of the rust :D

Cat's Pajamas
Yep i knew all the ignorant serena fans would underestimate my precious Lucie. THey all said easy win, I'm glad Lucie gave her hell. :devil:

50Sense
Lol I came on here, not even realizing the match had STARTED, and she's down 3-5 in the final set tiebreak....

stkenyi
What a close match.

I think Serena' loses power on her serves with this racket?? I know it would be unorthodoxed but she should consider serving with her old racket and returning serve with the new racket. Something new.

I almost had a hard attacked with the scorelines.

skumars
But, she's nowhere close to her best.

hurricanejeanne
What a back in forth match!:eek:

Congrats Serena, best of luck in the next round. :)

Dexter
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Congrats Serena.

Lucie :sad: you're so close :hug:

StarDuvallGrant
Geez I could not breathe! Serena you gotta step up your game. Don't be giving your fans this panic attacks.

KEEP GOING SERENA!

Especially attacks by livescore :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
:eek: WOW! ok, good tough win

Derek.
Serena! :eek: :yeah:

What a great battle this match was! :eek:

Lucie. :sad: :hug:

crazyroberto6767
Damn, good to see Serena still has the fight :worship:. Looks like a pretty intense match (it definitely was intense watching the live scores :p). Serena's draw has opened up even more, so hopefully she can take advantage of it.

:sad: Lucie, tough loss but her form seems to be coming around.

supergrunt
She was down 3-1!!!! Would she have won this match last year? No! :woohoo:

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM
tough win

50Sense
What a close match.

I think Serena' loses power on her serves with this racket?? I know it would be unorthodoxed but she should consider serving with her old racket and returning serve with the new racket. Something new.

I almost had a hard attacked with the scorelines.

...yeah, and then she could hit a left-handed forehand and return serves while standing on the service line.

winone23
Yes, it was close, but she still won and that is all that matters!!!

Hant11
:sad: :sad: :sad: lucie :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :hug:

Sinnet
Fucking Serena, LMFAO, gave me a heart attack... I couldn't watch the scores in the third, and when Lucie took the lead in the tiebreak, I yelled FUCK! Nice fight, Serena!

Oh, and whoever said this was her first tiebreak since 04 YEC: wrong. I don't know how many, but I know she's had atleast one; in 05 in Miami against her sister in the 4th round.

dearplastic
Serena can't rely on creaky wins like this if she expects to be the '07 Aussie Open champ. She should be dispatching girls like this 6-1, 6-2. I am very disappointed right now; her scoreline yesteday was promising, but I guess that's not the case.

I'll wait until her next match to make my final judgement on her play.:help:

stevos
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I dont care how crappy this performance was, the rust should be off by now! She got a few easy matches worth in that one.

I almost died live-scoring that one! :worship: Keep it up Serena!

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM

KEEP GOING SERENA!

lol i was praying and holding my breath the entire time :lol: :o

skumars
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Hopefully, the coming rounds would be better.

stevos
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Yep i knew all the ignorant serena fans would underestimate my precious Lucie. THey all said easy win, I'm glad Lucie gave her hell. :devil:

Don't worry, I was worried the second I saw her in the draw. This match was the one I was the most worried about.

~Eclipsed~
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I would say that this makes Serena look way too rusty, but Safarova's game has been looking better so far this year so good job to Serena for pulling out such a close win!

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Phewwww... that was A LOT tough than I was expecting. Glad she pulled through though. :)

Nice effort on Safarova's part.

Andrew..
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Would she have won this match last year? No! :woohoo:
Ummm.... okay.

Not the way to go into the AO. She looks really out of shape from the photos. I expected more out of her.

plantman
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Did Lucie play that well, or was Serena having troubles? Seemed like the game took forever!!!! Does Serena play again tomorrow?

Lulu.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Great win Serena. Good way to get rid of the rust :yeah:

RenaSlam.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Fuck.

Lulu.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM

In the end....She still lost :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Did Lucie play that well, or was Serena having troubles? Seemed like the game took forever!!!! Does Serena play again tomorrow?

Lucie is a good player and I expected her to give Serena a run just because Serena doesn't know her game like that.

stkenyi
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Ok, now that I am back to a normal heart rate.

I can say that I glad that Serena got at least 3 hours of court play. Here is to more. :bounce:

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Congrats Serena :yeah:

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Great win Serena. Good way to get rid of the rust :yeah:
It's going to take a whole lot more than five sets in a Tier IV for Serena to get rid of all her court rust, my friend.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
It's going to take a whole lot more than five sets in a Tier IV for Serena to get rid of all her court rust, my friend.
Agreed....but hopefully she can improve from here :yeah:

disco_rage
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Wow! Close match. Well done for fighting through Serena!

-VSR-
Wow, I was soooo paranoid during that match. It was a nailbiter to say the least.

I give props to Lucie, it looks like she isn't that bad. She really played well, it seemed.

Serena, you better be ready for these girls and dismiss them easily. :lol:

G1Player2
Ummm.... okay.

Not the way to go into the AO. She looks really out of shape from the photos. I expected more out of her.

Whatever hater/troll. There is no way anyone can tell she is out of shape from those pics. :weirdo:

Couver
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Yet one has to start somewhere. She needed to comeback from her layoff at some point. And I think this tournament was better than a higher tier. She's still very rusty, at least here she gets tested and can work off her rust. At a higher tier event she may have put on a great match with a top seed but may have lost, and that would have resulted in even less matchplay going into the Oz.

Congrats Serena. Hopefully she gets a rest before her next match.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Oh.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:55 AM
in her fierce fighting shape, this would've been 6-1, 6-2.....but this is actually good for her. Great to see her fighting like this! This will only help her for next week.

LindsayRulz
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Good Job Rena :)

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Whatever hater/troll. There is no way anyone can tell she is out of shape from those pics. :weirdo:
Yes, there is. You just choose not to see it.

Ben.
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM
well done serena :D a well fought victory & it's good to see her tough out one of these matches :yeah:

bad luck lucie :hug:

heartBREAKeRS
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Yes my girl

vettipooh
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Phew!!! I finally exhaled!!! :lol: Great fight Rena! Glad it went to 3. She needed that!!! Props to Lucie for giving it her all. Rena just wanted/needed it more!

K-Dog
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Where are the pics from this match?

serenafan08
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Just what she needed - a close match with a tiebreaker! She hasn't won a close match in a while and it's been two years since she won a tiebreaker, so she knocked out two birds with one stone! This will only help Serena in the long run. Great fight. :yeah:

dorotek23
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Lucie :(. Was so close..

santhuruu
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Wooowww I'm glad that I didn't woke up to follow the live scores of it. But anyways congrats Serena, maybe she was still feeling the night match in her legs, but well rest up and get ready for Bammer!

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM
HOBART, Australia (AP) -- Serena Williams won her second straight match since returning from a four-month injury layoff, beating Lucie Safarova 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5) Tuesday at the Hobart International.

Playing just 18 hours after her first-round, straight-sets win over Sofia Arvidsson of Sweden, Williams took advantage of Safarova's poor serving. The Czech player double-faulted on her first serve in the third-set tiebreaker, then again to set up match point.

Williams, recovering from ankle and knee injuries, hadn't played in a tournament since the U.S. Open in early September.

Stamp Paid
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I saw Safarova during Hopman Cup - she was playing pretty well. And I knew the way she hit the ball, she was going to cause problems for Serena, as slow as she is now. But I'm glad Serena won and is able to tough out a match again.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Serena needed a tough win like this to help get her back in the groove. She isn't in shape, but I'll take it with this Serena that is using the criticism and using it to help her game. With the quick decline that was 2005 and 2006 for Serena, we can't expect much from her. She needs this match play to help her for the AO. She gets a day between matches there and has had a good enough break from the competitive scene that will hopefully help her be fresh for the following weeks. I don't expect her to win the AO, but her positive attitude is something that has and will continue to take her far beyond the expectations of others.

aussie_stars
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Well done Serena! Things are coming along, keep persevering :D

Morrissey
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM
This is a positive result. Serena hasn't played much tennis in the past two years. She's really rusty. The match was tight but she won it anyway and that's what matters.

harloo
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM
This is a positive result. Serena hasn't played much tennis in the past two years. She's really rusty. The match was tight but she won it anyway and that's what matters.

Basically, but you know how some folks like to overreact about things.:o She hasn't played in 4 months, if she's not fit enough and have little match play the wins won't come easy.

;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Where are the pics from this match?
:shrug: dunno, but if you find some, let us know :bounce:

Staticbeef
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Williams scrapes through
http://www.hobartinternational.com.au/pages/article.aspx?id=4&articleid=ArticleID200719173738&pageId=11675&HandlerId=1
(http://hobart international)

9 January, AAP - Serena Williams' comeback is gathering momentum with the former world No.1 clinching a fighting three-set win over Czech Lucie Safarova in the second round of the Moorilla Hobart International today.

Williams (pictured) won a tight contest 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-5).

Her game was strong in the opening set, but fell apart in the second when Safarova's passing shots hit their target and the Czech made Williams move around the court.

The third set could have tipped in favour of either player but in the end Williams made fewer mistakes to claim a thriller.

"I was really happy to win because I wasn't ready to go home yet," Williams said.

"I want at least one more match here before the Australian Open, so I was happy to win the match.

"It just boiled down to me not making as many mistakes."

Just Do It
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
This result scares me :scared:

rocksania
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM
though serena won but she needs a lot of practice to reach her own old standard....

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:33 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/mrserenawilliams/image.jpg
EYE on the ball AFTER contact! :bounce:

jazar
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
close match. next one will be easier

-SheLL-
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
wow...close...well done Serena

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
and it was a 2+ hour match and she made it through :yeah:

Ntour
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
serena is going to have to pick it up if she wants to go well in melbourne

a 3rd set tiebreaker against safarova, i suppose there is nowhere to go but up

:inlove:
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
FINALLY SHE WINS A TIEBREAK AGAIN! :woohoo: :banana: :angel: :kiss: :hearts:
She needs this kind of match I think to settle back into things.

Ntour
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM
whose she got next?

Lulu.
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM
She plays Sybille Bammer next

TrixieTrader
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Her game was strong in the opening set, but fell apart in the second when Safarova's passing shots hit their target and the Czech made Williams move around the court.

This is the key right here. Everyone who has beaten Serena in the last two years has done it through passing shots, drop shots and moving her around. They all know fitness is a new weakness of hers. What is sad is that Serena still has not addressed that since her game is more error prone due to her risky shot making style.

She will never play a significantly clean match that has never been her game. Since she has never had the precision of Davenport when it comes to baseline rallies.

She has to move fast and finish the points.

Langers
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Good fight Lucie. :cool:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
She will never play a significantly clean match that has never been her game. Since she has never had the precision of Davenport when it comes to baseline rallies.

She has to move fast and finish the points.

Yet another person who doesn't know what they're talking about. You should actually look at some of her numbers from her matches at the '06 US Open, she was playing pretty clean then and her movement wasn't great at all.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
:angel::hearts: WHAT A WIN! I'm just so glad it's over...it really made my day :lol:

No Name Face
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
awesome job serena! at least one of my favorites can win a tight three setter!

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
That's a pretty good sign for Serena I reckon.

I saw Safarova play in Perth and she'd gotten herself into some pretty good form. I probably would've favoured her prior to the match

Viktymise
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I had a feeling for some reason this would be tight, Lucie is gradually getting back to form and Serena still rusty but well done Serena :bounce: super fight keep it up :yeah: Lucie :sad: :hug: but it shows ur getting better again ;)

Mina Vagante
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
omg serena dont do that again!!!! sooo happy your through though!:bounce:

Avid Merrion
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
:D congrats on another win, Serena!! :hug:

Pasta-Na
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
lucie :o

Shimizu Amon
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Wow she came through. Congrats Serena!

Was the match as good as these numbers?

Dawn Marie
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm glad she was pushed to the limit. These kind of matches is what she needs right now. She won it by a tiebreaker. Any tennis player knows playing a tough breaker teaches you stength and fight. A player can improve and take more from losing sets then steamrolling through the entire match.

She won already .. be happy for her.

Gosh it nice to see her back.

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I'm glad she was pushed to the limit. These kind of matches is what she needs right now. She won it by a tiebreaker. Any tennis player knows playing a tough breaker teaches you stength and fight. A player can improve and take more from losing sets then steamrolling through the entire match.

She won already .. be happy for her.

Gosh it nice to see her back.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't let folks try to distort things by saying this is a poor result, and she should've won a lot easier... She hasn't really played much over the last two years and even the top players who play tons more matches struggle with players you would think they wouldn't (Clijsters against Jill Craybas, Justine against Shaughnessy, Mauresmo against Elena Vesina, and so on...). Each time you step on court your mission is to win and today the mission was accomplished. Congrats to my girl and best of luck in the next round!

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Wasn't this a tight match :eek:

Now I'm positive that there is no chance of SW winning this one... :rolleyes:

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM

:rolleyes: (see my post above, you confused soul)

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Serena wins no thanks to Venus

SERENA Williams scraped home in a three-set thriller today and advanced to the quarter-finals of the Hobart International, despite receiving misleading pre-match information from her sister Venus.

Williams, 25, had never played Czech Lucie Safarova so she called on Venus' experience with the athletic left-hander.

Williams won a tight contest 6-3 3-6 7-6, but it was no thanks to her sister.

"I spoke to Venus before the match, she's played her before and she said that she was a tough opponent," Williams said.

"So I knew from the start she was probably going to play better than she's played in her whole life.

"But Venus didn't give me any good pointers, actually.

"She told me some false information, so I'll be calling her back about that."

A seven-time grand slam winner, Williams' comeback from knee and ankle problems is gathering momentum.

"I was really happy to win because I wasn't ready to go home yet," Williams said.

"I wanted to have at least one more match here before the Australian Open, so I was happy to win."

Williams' game was strong in the opening set, but fell apart in the second when Safarova's passing shots hit their target and the Czech forced Williams to move around the court.

The third set could have tipped in favour of either player.

In the end, Williams made fewer mistakes than she did in the second set to claim a thriller.

"It just boiled down to me not making as many mistakes," she said.

"I knew I was going to win. I didn't think I was going to lose at all.

"Maybe it was intuition, but I felt right and knew I was going to pull it out."

At times Williams looked to the heavens shouting "please", and jumped with excitement when Safarova missed her shot to deliver the American a 7-5 tie breaker win in the third.

"It's been a while since I won a tie breaker and that was in the back of my mind," she said.

"I thought I have to win this tie breaker, and more than anything that's what I was excited about, even more than winning the match."

Safarova was nervous about playing the high-profile American.

"I was pleased to see that I could play with her the same as I can play against the other girls," she said.

Williams will tomorrow play Austrian Sybille Bammer, who ousted No.2 seed Anabel Medina Garrigues today 6-4 6-3.

Australian Alicia Molik plays Ukrainian No 6 seed Alona Bondarenko in the second round showpiece on centre court tonight.

Source (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21033919-23216,00.html)

ce
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
good job ree,now please beat bamer:bounce:

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Serena Williams...oh my god. Don't do that again please. OMG. Good fight from Serena. it's great to see that fighter back :hearts: :worship:.

Il Primo!
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah Serena!!:bounce:That's hot!:banana: She needed a tough battle, it's a good thing!
Keep it up :hearts:

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Wow, close one. But it shows Serena is not back to her best level again.

nouf
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
HQS

http://img160.imagevenue.com/loc534/th_34723_williams1_122_534lo.jpg (http://img160.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34723_williams1_122_534lo.jpg)http://img166.imagevenue.com/loc538/th_34775_williams2_122_538lo.jpg (http://img166.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34775_williams2_122_538lo.jpg)http://img172.imagevenue.com/loc383/th_34824_williams3_122_383lo.jpg (http://img172.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34824_williams3_122_383lo.jpg)http://img44.imagevenue.com/loc334/th_34886_williams4_122_334lo.jpg (http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34886_williams4_122_334lo.jpg)
http://img108.imagevenue.com/loc381/th_34900_williams5_122_381lo.jpg (http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34900_williams5_122_381lo.jpg)http://img20.imagevenue.com/loc399/th_34906_williams6_122_399lo.jpg (http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34906_williams6_122_399lo.jpg)http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc343/th_34912_williams7_122_343lo.jpg (http://img22.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34912_williams7_122_343lo.jpg)
http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc469/th_34918_williams8_122_469lo.jpg (http://img138.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34918_williams8_122_469lo.jpg)http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc485/th_34924_williams9_122_485lo.jpg (http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34924_williams9_122_485lo.jpg)http://img111.imagevenue.com/loc472/th_34930_williams10_122_472lo.jpg (http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34930_williams10_122_472lo.jpg)

dearplastic
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
HQS

http://img160.imagevenue.com/loc534/th_34723_williams1_122_534lo.jpg (http://img160.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34723_williams1_122_534lo.jpg)http://img166.imagevenue.com/loc538/th_34775_williams2_122_538lo.jpg (http://img166.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34775_williams2_122_538lo.jpg)http://img172.imagevenue.com/loc383/th_34824_williams3_122_383lo.jpg (http://img172.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34824_williams3_122_383lo.jpg)http://img44.imagevenue.com/loc334/th_34886_williams4_122_334lo.jpg (http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34886_williams4_122_334lo.jpg)
http://img108.imagevenue.com/loc381/th_34900_williams5_122_381lo.jpg (http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34900_williams5_122_381lo.jpg)http://img20.imagevenue.com/loc399/th_34906_williams6_122_399lo.jpg (http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34906_williams6_122_399lo.jpg)http://img22.imagevenue.com/loc343/th_34912_williams7_122_343lo.jpg (http://img22.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34912_williams7_122_343lo.jpg)
http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc469/th_34918_williams8_122_469lo.jpg (http://img138.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34918_williams8_122_469lo.jpg)http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc485/th_34924_williams9_122_485lo.jpg (http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34924_williams9_122_485lo.jpg)http://img111.imagevenue.com/loc472/th_34930_williams10_122_472lo.jpg (http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34930_williams10_122_472lo.jpg)

Thanks for the pics!

Hmm... is that cellulite I see?
I've come to a conclusion. Don't come back on the tour, Serena, until you lose that booty. :help:
Oh, and that first one? It reminds me of last year. Only worse. She's wearing that baggy shirt for a reason.

Geertvg
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
A win is a win Serena! But it's gonna have to go a lot better against the likes of Anna Chakvetadze, I presume she doe sknow that though.

And do sth about your looks please,lol. It's GOOD you're concentrating on tennis so much, thank god for that, but you ARE Serena! :lol:

Chance
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Good to see Serena pulling out a 3 set win! This will only build her confidence, just hope her movement gets better.

Williams Rulez
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
serena.. i hope tt helped u shake off the rust..

onwards!

Andy.
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
What a fight well done Serena on getting thru it.

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
It looks like Serena is nowhere near her best, but at least she had a long match and got the match practice. She hasnt been in a tight situation like this for a while, and she really needed to get this type of competition.

It is a good idea for her to play this lower tier first, she is getting the matches and being challenged, but still able to come through. I hope she will learn from this match and improve for the coming weeks.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Lucie :sad: :sad: :sad:

Vut
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
so close! but congrats to Serena!

.Andrew.
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Serena :eek: :worship: Good win.

Safarova, well done! :hug:

iPatty
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
good try lucie. :sad:

prock
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Not the way, perhaps. Still, a win is a win (and will be the moreso in Melbourne), so congrats :worship:
And I, too, am curious as to SW's fitness level. Guess the answer will come in the further rounds. <salivating at the possibility of a Williams-Chakvetadze final> ;)

gocanadago
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Reena :bounce:

frenchie
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Did she save a MP?

ioni
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well done Serena !

ChampLindsay
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
HQS

thank you for this nice pics...:wavey:

by the way what a tough match for Serena,,, 5:3 down in TB and she did it... amazing Serena:worship: :worship: :hearts: :hearts:

i think a tough is never bad for the way back to the top ten or nr 1:eek: :p :)....

yeah and Bammer is the next.....:lick: :worship:

morningglory
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM
wheeeeeeeeeew :o

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Did she save a MP?
Actually no, Lucie was up 5-3 in the TB, but never got to 6. Once Serena got back on serve in the 3rd, she was always leading the game score, so Lucie never got a MP

The Dawntreader
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Serena living on the edge:eek: :lol:

Great win though, a gutsy win and she needs that to start really playing well again. Next match against bammer will be tough, especially in these kind of conditions. Bammer absorbs pace well and she's such a workhorse and manipluates the points very well and builds up points as a result of having no real weaponary. Serena will probably have to latch on to bammer's weak second serve as much as she can and bring Bammer in, because the Austrian's volleys are mediocre at best.

Still Go Serena!:bounce:

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The point that she pulled this out is a good sign as she heads to Melbourne. I'll never forget her first round match against that nobody, Loit in the '03 Aussie.

cometz9
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Serena :rolleyes: why do always make it hard on yourself and us fans. I'm glad u made it thru this rd, good luck in the next. :yeah:

Craigy
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM

OMG shut the fuck up. You know nothing about tennis :rolleyes: x 85467549178254 :rolleyes:
And stop with the :rolleyes: in EVERY post for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

Craigy
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Anyway, all I can say is :unsure:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thank god I went to bed during the second set. I don't think I could have taken watching the live scoreboard for the remainder of this match.

Nice fighting Serena :yeah:

raquel
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well done Serena :yeah: :woohoo:

She did well to fight hard to get the win. I'm surprised a few people are saying things like "this is not the way to go into AO". This is her 2nd match in 4 months. And several top players aren't playing that well either - Dementieva & Schnyder out of Sydney, Mauresmo had to battle hard, Petrova and Kuznetsova having to retire in Sydney. If Serena's not going into the AO at her best, she's far from alone.

Williams-forever
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
OMG, im so happy for the time difference:D I would've been dead by now if i had watched those live scores...:lol:
Serena a win is a win, and the competition will get easier...at least in the next couple rounds:scared:
I was really afraid about this match yesterday actually, so im not THAT surprised! Thanx for the pix guys;)

The Daviator
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Serena, amazing fighting spirit, she will always have that :worship: Now shake off some more of that rust and get ready for Melbourne :yeah:

hotandspicey
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM
That was a crazy nail biting grind. :eek: Please Rena, no more.:lol: Just get thru bammer tonite.

Sexysova
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
really shame for Lucka... she played very well or Serena played badly :)

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM
tough win. she needs to have these kind of matches if she wants a good comeback...man she needs to get in shape though

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
A win is a win Rena. Here are some pics of Serena in the match.

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/denisetx/SerenaHobart.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/denisetx/SerenaHobart2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/denisetx/SerenaHobart3.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/denisetx/SerenaHobart4.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/denisetx/SerenaHobart5.jpg

urock34
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:24 PM
She looks good but she needs to get rid of that damn seater

Bounty Hunter
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
That was a tough win for Serena... glad to to see she made it through with Venus' bad advise.... :tape: :lol: :lol:

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
She looks good but she needs to get rid of that damn seater

:lol: i agree, maybe she's trying to sweat some weight off :lol:
but i think she looks good :yeah:
and a win is a win, Serena needed a good kick in the pants to get things going. I think the quarterfinals will be much better!

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I love her! Fighting her way back and the results will come when she is ready. Right now, I am happy with any wins. :D

Denise4925
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
OMG shut the fuck up. You know nothing about tennis :rolleyes: x 85467549178254 :rolleyes:
And stop with the :rolleyes: in EVERY post for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

:lol:

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM
It's quite obvious that Serena has a ton of work to do physically and technically, but it's also quite obvious (to me, anyway) that she seems to be willing to do it. She very easily could have gotten a wild card to play Sydney, but she decided to accept her ranking and play the Tier IV. She also made it through two matches in a row without re-injuring something, which is a BIG plus. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I don't think winning and losing is secondary for Serena right now; physical and technical improvement, especially when you're breaking in a new racquet, should be primary. Now, if only we can keep her off the red carpet.....

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
^ I agree. I think she's really serious about this comeback. Why play a tier IV, if you're not.

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM
It's quite obvious that Serena has a ton of work to do physically and technically, but it's also quite obvious (to me, anyway) that she seems to be willing to do it. She very easily could have gotten a wild card to play Sydney, but she decided to accept her ranking and play the Tier IV. She also made it through two matches in a row without re-injuring something, which is a BIG plus. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I don't think winning and losing is secondary for Serena right now; physical and technical improvement, especially when you're breaking in a new racquet, should be primary. Now, if only we can keep her off the red carpet.....

:worship: :worship:

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM
i've seen safarova play a few times, and she is far worse than her ranking/hype suggest. someone with serena's power should barely lose points against her

-VSR-
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
i've seen safarova play a few times, and she is far worse than her ranking/hype suggest. someone with serena's power should barely lose points against her

Why the hell are you in every thread about Serena, seriously, just because Hingis lost in Sydney doesn't mean you can follow Serena around and make idiotic comments no one cares about. :ras:

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Why the hell are you in every thread about Serena, seriously, just because Hingis lost in Sydney doesn't mean you can follow Serena around and make idiotic comments no one cares about. :ras:

i like to destroy the morale of fans of overhyped players, what can i say. petrova, mirza, hantuchova, all big piles of tennis crap expected to be 'the next big thing', i just can't sit around and watch such discussion continue! it's against my nature.

...and enter serena, the fat world n. 95, with legions of delusional fans proclaiming how she's going to dominate the tour. i wouldn't care if her fans just let her play without opening their uninformed mouths, but you would think she was actually a top ten player or something by some of these posts!

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
safarova is one of those players by the way. she's not just bad... she's incredibly bad

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
i like to destroy the morale of fans of overhyped players, what can i say. petrova, mirza, hantuchova, all big piles of tennis crap expected to be 'the next big thing', i just can't sit around and watch such discussion continue! it's against my nature.

...and enter serena, the fat world n. 95, with legions of delusional fans proclaiming how she's going to dominate the tour. i wouldn't care if her fans just let her play without opening their uninformed mouths, but you would think she was actually a top ten player or something by some of these posts!
Let me get this straight. . .you're an Hingis fan, right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Why do you care? You're obviously very bitter that Serena is a winner. And i know as well as you do that ranking means fuck all. It depends on the number of tournaments you play not how much of a quality player you are. You're a Hingis fan. You should know that. Speaking of which, this thread is about Serena.. You are not a fan. So fuck off.

Brooklyn90
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM

:lol: :worship:

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:02 PM

hingis was universally doubted and disrespected as someone who would never return to the top 10 -- so if you're trying to suggest that she is 'overhyped' and her fans proclaim that she will 'dominate the tour', i can't say i follow.

hablo
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Sounds like someone's still bitter about their own faves' early exit :rolleyes:

Sarafova is not a bad player! :o

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Why do you care? You're obviously very bitter that Serena is a winner.

of what, exactly? biggest arse in tennis?

winone23

LookImGay is mad because he was making fun of Serena saying she was going to have a year of early round losses and the next day Hingis went out in the 1st round and Serena moved on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pureracket
hingis was universally doubted and disrespected as someone who would never return to the top 10 -- so if you're trying to suggest that she is 'overhyped' and her fans proclaim that she will 'dominate the tour', i can't say i follow.That's where we differ. I'd HATE to be a fan of a player who isn't overhyped. If you don't think your player is going to come back and dominate the tour, then why are you even supporting her?

Serena will never be that kind of charity case.

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Sounds like someone's still bitter about their own faves' early exit :rolleyes:

Sarafova is not a bad player! :o

1) i posted numerous times that i WANTED hingis to lose to jankovic :wavey:

2) safarova is a terrible player

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM
of what, exactly? biggest arse in tennis?

The one with the most slams. Seven trumps five.

I don't need to tell you that. Results speak for themselves.

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
heylookimgay is either a young child or a bandwagon jumper just looking at when he joined up that coinicides with Hingis first title since her return ;)

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
The one with the most slams. Seven trumps five.

I don't need to tell you that. Results speak for themselves.

far be it from me, as a fan of a top 10 player currently holding a tier I title among others, to have a discussion about 'results' with a fan of the world no. 95 who hasn't won a title in years

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Heylookimgay is ol' school. Trust me, he's a lot less harmless than this new wave of haters.

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
far be it from me, as a fan of a top 10 player currently holding a tier I title among others, to have a discussion about 'results' with a fan of the world no. 95 who hasn't won a title in years

I'm speaking of slams. When's the last time Hingis won one?

Pureracket
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm speaking of slams. When's the last time Hingis won one?. . .or a French Open?

hingisGOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm speaking of slams. When's the last time Hingis won one?

less than a year ago ;)

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
less than a year ago ;)

I'm talking about singles, and not suprisingly you fail to address that issue. :p

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
2) safarova is a terrible player

By your own words, what a hypocritical disgraceful cow you've become :o

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:42 AM
everyone's just hating :o, she won, and that's ALL that matters. You can't speculate on what this result means, because as she plays more she won't be rusty or out of shape....so blab it up all you want, when it comes down to it, Serena's putting in the work that she needs to get back to the top, and that :scared: the SHIT out of all of you, because when (hopefully if :unsure: ) she can avoid injuries and get back to the top where she belongs: IT'S ALL OVER!

She's on a JOURNEY! It won't be an easy one, and in her comeback, there will be all kinds of wins (and losses :sad: ) tight ones and runaways. This was a tight win...the kind of CONFIDENCE building win that (hopefully) may translate into playing better and more freely in the future.

She's rouding into shape after not being able to play consecutive weeks for OVER 2 YEARS! Playing the Oz will be the most consecutive tennis she's played in OVER 2 YEARS, so give her a break. Everyone has slumps, and yeah Serena still talks like she's #1, but hey :shrug: if she doesn't belive in herself who will? The haters? The "bandwagon" fans? None of us see EXACTLY what she's doing behind closed doors. All we see are her matches and some off-court stuff. We don't know what she's been doing (or hasn't been for that matter)

This is her first tournament in 4 months, and 5th in a year, so there's going to be some things that are off, and sadly (as a DIE-HARD :armed: fan) she's not in shape, or anything close to it, but as opposed to calling her a fat-cow, I choose to focus on the postitives: She's OUT THERE! WORKING! PLAYING! Playing lower tier tourneys (where the apperance $ is lower) to show how committed she is. She wasn't gonna come back from a 4 month break looking like she did in 1995-2005 (post Rome). There were other things that she was previously occupied with and limited her training.

The WS tour and the trial weighed heavily on her schedule, and we don't even know when she was even "really" healthy enough to resume training without risking injury. I'm not making excuses for her, I for one would have LOVED to have seen more pics of her like the ones in Tennis Magazine w/ her hurling a medicine ball over her head rather than partying w/ Jackie on NYE looking a little tipsy and more than a little heavy, but you know what? Let her live her damn life....she's not your tennis machine. If you wanna be her fan, you wanna support her? Be there to SUPPORT her, not tear her down when she's OBVIOUSLY putting forth an effort to get back into shape (if she didn't care, do you REALLY think she would be in HOBART?!).

Like Stefwhit said:
You can please some of the people, some of the time, but not all the people, all the time. Serena is damned is she does, and damned if she doesn't. If she losses then she's merely a shadow of the player she used to be and if she wins people still find ways to criticize without fail.

Before you can run you have to walk and before you can walk you have to crawl. Serena is crawling right now and with each match played it’s one step closer to a more confident and competitive Serena. Along the way I’m sure she’ll have some disappointments, but if she’s healthy I think her prognosis will be one that fans will be happy with.

She'll be fine! :yeah: Just have faith

tobi
Jan 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Lucie :( :sad: