PDA

View Full Version : Li Na def Elena Dementieva 3-6 6-1 7-5

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Na was trailing 2-5 in the final set and had to save 5 MPs. :worship:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Amazing fight Na !!! Lena was leading *5-2 at third set. Li saved 2 MPs at *3-5, and another 3 in a row at 4-5* (Lena was up 40-0 on serve) . You rules Na ! :D

I'm really happy now !!! Good luck in quarters super Na ! :bounce: :banana: :woohoo: :rocker2: :worship:

Sorry Lena :sad: :hug:

petesz
As I predicted.
Na saved 3 MP
Go Li Na!

égalité
Yes!!!!!

Ferosh
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I can't believe the meltdown.

RG Moonballer
:mad:

pcrtennis
It amazes me how much Na is underestimated. She can beat anyone on any given day...it's just a matter of UEs and she seems to be keeping them in check as of late (forget last week).

Great win for Na! But I expected it.

hu2891601
WOW!!!!! Li hasn't played such a gutsy match for a loong time!

who's she playing next?

NyCPsU
damn, i couldnt wait for some bad reps from disgruntled na fans later on today :sad:

but good fight na

lena :help: rest up and work on the damn serve or something

Alicia Rocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Naaaaaaaaa :woohoo: :banana:

xin_hui
elena :o

Pasta-Na
na li always do that shit... saved a heaps of mps :kiss:

poor elena.

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Na :bowdown:

Dexter
Well done on topping Shahar's GS choke, Lena :yeah: :weirdo:

Congrats Na, gutsy effort!

pcrtennis
This reminds me a little of the match against Schnyder when she came WAAYYYYYYY back to win late in the third.

Na fights realllly hard.

UDACHi
hang up your racket.

NyCPsU
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:16 AM
It amazes me how much Na is underestimated. She can beat anyone on any given day...it's just a matter of UEs and she seems to be keeping them in check as of late (forget last week).

do you really believe that she is underestimated?:o
there are people on these boards who are predicting the number of grand slams she will be winning before she has even gotten into the top 15 or 10...thats overestimating imo :)

Hant11
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:16 AM
whoww incredible!!

congrats Na !

LudwigDvorak
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I am utterly destroyed. Five match points. Five. Li needed just one. Leading 40-0 on serve...I even told my mother, "You know, she's leading 5-2 and could still lose the match," and she looked at me with a "wtf?" face, and then I told her she lost and she was like "..."

Forget Australia.

itzhak
this is bad lose, really bad...bye bye top 10 really soon

pcrtennis
do you really believe that she is underestimated?:o
there are people on these boards who are predicting the number of grand slams she will be winning before she has even gotten into the top 15 or 10...thats overestimating imo :)

There are some over zealous people...but in general she is definitely underestimated. ;)

selyoink
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM
That choke truly took skill Lena. We should all be complimenting you for that amazing performance.

Congrats to Na for never giving up. She deserved to win. Lena did not.

blumaroo
Great win for Li.
She'll go for winners anytime matchpoint or not. Her side of the draw is wide open now.

hablo
What a disappointing loss for Lena, especially since she had the chance to serve it out twice and wasted quite a few match pts.

congrats, Na Li, to beat Lena in a three-setter is an accomplishment (ask momo).

Hantuchov
40-0 lead and still lost the match ?! :o

Wow, Demented !!! I'm sorry, you tried your best, we all know, but you were eLIminated !! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Now hire a decent coach, you stupid spoilt little child !!! :rolleyes:

If she doesn't play well in Melbourne (which will possibly happen, btw), she can already start waving to the Top 10 ;) :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
I`m speechless .

Welcome to the choker club Lena

Derek.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Elena. :sad: :help:

Terrible choke. :o

Congrats Na. ;)

She has a thing for saving match points and then coming back to win.

Modiac.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Great fight back!!!!!
Na :banana:

dli
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:20 AM
na seems to be able to beat top players. but also can lose to any low-rank players easily. I hope she can perform steadily.

piercerocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM
ouch.
that must have been severly dissapointing. na has been playing great lately but elena really needs to get her act together if she wants to win a slam (which she is totally capable of)

i hope both players realize their potential.

cometz9
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Lena :tape: :sobbing: can't believe you choked :o Please get your shit together for AO, at least u have nothing to defend there :D

Congrats to Na :clap2: great win and fight :eek: good luck in the next rd.

Dementinator
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:23 AM
well congrats to Na ,she deserved to win that.

Lena? well fucking dreadful to be honest ,I am utterly destroyed ,I have no interest in this game anymore.

She should I think give up ,retire ,start a family.

For me ,Lena is now purely about looks ,I will enjoy seeing pics of her ,and will enjoy her character ,but forget tennis full stop ,its over.

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Congrats Na awesome fight :yeah:

pierceo415 would b proud if he were around :D

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM
How many times has this happened with Lena ? usually its she who wins 7-5 in the third after saving MP's but for once she was at the recieving end ....

Dexter
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Some posts here... damn, it's not that she lost 1st match like that... you should be used to :tape: Often she performed better at GS when she lost early before ;)

RenaSlam.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Wow, Na! Gutsy effort! Great start to 007!

blumaroo
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM
It's indeed remarkable that Lena lost a threesetter while holding several matchpoints. Has that happened before? I know she had a mp against Krajicek last year and lost but that was only one mp.

disco_rage
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Wow Li Na what a fight, well done. I'm disappointed for Dementieva obviously but Li Na definately deserved a big comeback match after throwing a few matches away in 2006. Well done!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM
:eek: Elena? :shrug: good win Na :yeah:

Leo_DFP
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM
:rolleyes: More and more Elena proves that she is past her prime, sadly.

Ben.
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM
wow, what an amazing comeback from na :eek: well fought match from her :yeah:

wonder what happened to lena, bad luck to her :hug:

Alec
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM
NA NA NA NA

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:cool: :cool: :cool:

keep going

drake3781
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I put my money on Na.

Reason: my own ingnorance of what game Dementieva has, never having seen her live and only once on TV. And knowing how strong and well-trained Na is. I just asked myself why Na couldn't beat Dementieva, and couldn't think of a reason.

One thing I've noticed from all the Chinese players, even this early in the season, is the added fight they all seem to have. Watching Peng fight out so many deuce games thru the Sydney qualies, even though it was only on live scores, and now Li. Last season the Zheng-Yan doubles team was just incredible at this. CTA is doing something right now.

**Going to check who she faces next round. **

Wayn77
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
excuse my language - Jesus f**cking wept :tape: :sad:

well done Na: good luck in de next round.

dorotek23
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Lena :(
But also good fight fo Li :)

drake3781
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:11 AM
As for overzealous Na Li fans,

We have only Pierce0425 (or whatever) .... and is he banned now? I thought it was temporary, but heard he came back with multiple accounts, so maybe he is banned. Anybody know?

And we have super_na, who used to be known as hk_andy, who fits the group of overposting teenage boys who don't seem to know how to stop themselves.

But those are the only two.

Na's best fan is 1Star - you should see 1Star's photo threads for Na in Na's forum. Lot of work and love went into those.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226438

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=226450

Arhivarius
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Lena? well fucking dreadful to be honest ,I am utterly destroyed ,I have no interest in this game anymore.

For me ,Lena is now purely about looks ,I will enjoy seeing pics of her ,and will enjoy her character ,but forget tennis full stop ,its over.

Come on! Nobody would believe you on that.
You probably don't believe yourself now. :D

Lena just continues to be what she is.
Good thing about tennis is that there is always next week.
After such hard to explain loss there always will be some miraculous win. Like last time over Justine. :)

BTW. it's something about climate and weather. Some players do consistantly well in Australia. Like Marat or Martina. And some like Lena obviously do not take Australia well.

No offense, folks down under. It's just about climate. :D

kfh_9118
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Elena, how could you waste 3 MPs in a row :sobbing: :o :tape:

I hope you can fully rest now, and do big things in AO next week :angel:

Happy for Li Na though :bounce:

!<blocparty>!
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:42 AM
5 MPs. Teehee.

Good win NA!

Inspiration
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:43 AM
5 MP :lol: :sobbing: :mad:

Inspiration
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM
5 MP :lol: :sobbing: :mad:

Inspiration
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM
5MP :lol: :sobbing: :mad:

No Name Face
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:46 AM
elena being mentally tough = myth.

elena is past her prime. i just hope she doesn't free fall too much.

égalité
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Now Na just has to play Srebotnik in the next round!

Prizeidiot
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I am so unbelievably angry at this point.

5-2 up, 2 match points at 5-3 on Na's serve, 40-0 up on her own serve at 5-4 and she found an amazing way to lose after pulling out a miracle win last night. And I seriously think Na had an extra 5cm beyond the baseline, either that or the lineswoman has never used the word "out" before. Same woman also called Elena for two foot faults on second serves, funny seeing as Elena doesn't move her front foot during her serve. An imaginary line beyond the painted baseline seems to be the only explaination for that.

However, Na did go insane from 5-2 down, kept playing aggressive but only hit like 1 unforced error, it drove me insane. And of course Elena has to take some blame. Top players don't lose from 5-2 up.

Pretty much ruined my whole day, as soon as Elena lost I walked out of the tennis centre and caught the first train home. I have quite enough to watching tennis today.

Uranus
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Na! :yeah:

She's soo underrated.

Pasta-Na
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM
now elena joins patty and danni to the super na's club :D

Viktymise
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM
lena :bigcry: :help: this is lena's worst choke in a while prob since 05 :o

Pasta-Na
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
hope na li can reach SF... and then play kim :tape:

parn2257
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:21 AM
wow she is a fighter!!!!
I just don't know what to say???

Drimal
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Elena :sad: :sad: :sad:

Come back strong at the Aussie Open! :kiss:

Shimizu Amon
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Wow amazing win Na, too bad Lena. Next time better luck. Hope you do better at the AO.

*Jean*
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Yay ! Well done Na ! :hearts: Beat Srebotnik now :)

ce
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
na li rules:bigclap: :bigclap:

crazillo
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I thought Dementieva would pull it out because she is so storng in 3 set-matches, but today wasn't her day I presume.

Geertvg
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM
:woohoo: Great fighting Na, I knew you could beat her!! :D

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Na :woohoo: Great stuff!!! :)

Lena :awww:

hwanmig
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Oh well whats new :o

andrewC
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
now elena joins patty and danni to the super na's club :D

kuznetsova and Petrova too, right? i can't remember who she's beat out of the top players? Well done Na :D

hdfb
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
OMG!!! Love you Na!!!!!

Mightymirza
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM
:tape:

rocksania
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM
shock

Slumpsova
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
didn't we see this coming? :o
Lena D sucks at the beginning of season, as always :shrug:

.david.
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Wow Na that is awsome. Saving 5 MP:worship: Im glad she seems to be back.

Lena:hug:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Lena :o :help:

Vut
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
:yeah: Li

SloKid
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Lena. :sad:
Sadly this was kinda expected with the way she plays in Australia, too bad she couldn't use her chances and she had plenty. :(
At least now we have no expectations for the AO and whatever she does there, especially after last year, would be good.

Underestimated? For every win like this she goes and loses to the players like Pelettier.
As long as she can lose to anyone on any given day as well, I think it's not underestimation, but a fair assessment of her capabilities.

goldenlox
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Lena never does well in Sydney. It gives her a few days to prepare for the AO without struggling through a Tier II draw.

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Great fight Na! Have to improve your form for the next match though!

austennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Good effort by li.. but seriously dementieva why do u do this so often.. why cant you win consistently..?

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Underestimated? For every win like this she goes and loses to the players like Pelettier.
As long as she can lose to anyone on any given day as well, I think it's not underestimation, but a fair assessment of her capabilities.

That doesn't show that she lacks talent or ability though. What you are talking about is inconsistency. She CAN beat good players on any given day, but can also lose to anyone.

Experimentee
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I am so unbelievably angry at this point.

5-2 up, 2 match points at 5-3 on Na's serve, 40-0 up on her own serve at 5-4 and she found an amazing way to lose after pulling out a miracle win last night. And I seriously think Na had an extra 5cm beyond the baseline, either that or the lineswoman has never used the word "out" before. Same woman also called Elena for two foot faults on second serves, funny seeing as Elena doesn't move her front foot during her serve. An imaginary line beyond the painted baseline seems to be the only explaination for that.

However, Na did go insane from 5-2 down, kept playing aggressive but only hit like 1 unforced error, it drove me insane. And of course Elena has to take some blame. Top players don't lose from 5-2 up.

Pretty much ruined my whole day, as soon as Elena lost I walked out of the tennis centre and caught the first train home. I have quite enough to watching tennis today.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like Na played awesome from 2-5 down :)

wsxwb0107
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
:bounce: :hearts:
well done,Na!good luck to you!It is a chance this time!

SloKid
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
That doesn't show that she lacks talent or ability though. What you are talking about is inconsistency. She CAN beat good players on any given day, but can also lose to anyone.
I know what she can be capable of on her good day and on her bad day as I have seen both the Schnyder match in Berlin and the Pelettier match in Montreal.
What I'm trying to say is that pcrtennis opinion of her is highly biased and I think he kind of overlooks that fact that she is still pretty much inconsistent and also likes to reward any negative comments about her with badreps.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/df/full.getty-tennis-wta-atp-aus-dementieva_4_10_03_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/c0/full.getty-tennis-wta-atp-aus-li_4_07_58_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/d3/full.getty-tennis-wta-atp-aus-li_4_01_47_am.jpg

;) Na :worship:

Ben.
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
nice pics :yeah:

kjn
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Lena:bigcry: :bigcry: This match clearly shows that Lena needs to improve her serve!!!!! A big serve... a short return from Na...should've set up the win being 3MPs up!!!

This match reminded me of 2 Sharapova French Open matches the 1st round against Washington where she saved 3MPs from 2-5 down. And the 4th round where she lost being 5-1 up in the third!!

Better luck to Lena at AO wish she could make it past the 4th round this time.

miffedmax
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Shit.

ioni
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Na li ,nice win :bounce: :bounce:

SzavayFi
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Thats the way NA!! :bowdown:

ChampLindsay
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
omg... well done Na Li... respect...

this match reminded me of Hantuchova vs Li Doha 2006... Daniela was up 6:4 5:1 and had 5 mp in the next 4 games and lost in 3 to Na Li... :sad:

i think Li is an amazing fighter.....:wavey: :worship:

good luck for the qaurters...:bounce:

LUXXXAS
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Lina what a comeback :yeah: congrats :banana:
Jelena :tape:

morningglory
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
First big choke of the year :o :(

2moretogo
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Lena... Oh no!!!

Ellery
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
OMG Na :woohoo: :bowdown: :banana: Amazing win.

:inlove:
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
OMG Lena. :help: :weirdo: :sad: That is pathetic.
But gutsy play Na! :hatoff: Congratulations!

Viktymise
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
some of the lena fans in this thread dissapoint me :o one bad loss and her career is over?????? I dont think so

Nicolás89
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
OMG thats amazing na:worship:

TiK-Tee
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Lena :sad:

Kunal
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
definitely saw this coming....from a mile away

mike/topgun
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Lena doesn't like Australia, that's a fact!

Go Na, cause another upset!

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
That Dementieva must be a constant headache to all her fans. I would lose my mind if I was her supporter. Her matches are just all over the place!

I<3Myskina
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:46 PM
5 match point lena? 40-0 with 3 match points?! :fiery: :banghead: :sobbing:

Grr, should have won thatt! Argh, anyway, Sure you'll do well in AO! :bounce: :smooch: :hug:

squig2k
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, that hurts. Elena... :(

I<3Myskina
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Almost as bad as Peer's choke at Gold Coast,

jazar
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i predicted 15 double faults. how close was i?

Wintermute
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Elena :tape: Sucky way to lose a match but Na is a real fighter I guess.

Saying that I don't think this will have any bearing on how well (or not) Lena does at the Aussie Open.

The Daviator
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Elena :smash:

starr
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
aww it's alright.
lena probably wasn't playing her best.... probably a 2 out of ten. ;)

Corswandt
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ouch.

Unexpected - I even had vCash on Lena, and she seemed to be playing fine on HK.

Same old issues with closing out matches on her serve again. Only this time in an almost laughable way.

And Lena's edge in three setters was a result more of superior fitness than of greater mental strength.

"Lena doesn't do well in Australia, the top players always tank out in Sydney, she needs to be ready for the AO" - OK, but this quarter of the draw was wide open, there was absolutely no pressure, and Lena needs points because I don't see her defending all those 300 points from Tokyo later on.

And I can't even begin to think what damage this must have done to her confidence - and this when the #7-10 slots of the ranking are already under assault by Jankovic, Safina, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

-Makiri-
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Corswandt
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM

And I'm the one who gets called a fair-weather fan. :rolleyes:

Escape
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Elena :smash: :mad:

gmak
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
lena :help: :banghead: :mad: :o :shrug:
what, i bet she hit 5 DF in a row at 5*-4, 40-0 :rolleyes:

well choked :yeah:

Viktymise
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Ouch.

Unexpected - I even had vCash on Lena, and she seemed to be playing fine on HK.

Same old issues with closing out matches on her serve again. Only this time in an almost laughable way.

And Lena's edge in three setters was a result more of superior fitness than of greater mental strength.

"Lena doesn't do well in Australia, the top players always tank out in Sydney, she needs to be ready for the AO" - OK, but this quarter of the draw was wide open, there was absolutely no pressure, and Lena needs points because I don't see her defending all those 300 points from Tokyo later on.

And I can't even begin to think what damage this must have done to her confidence - and this when the #7-10 slots of the ranking are already under assault by Jankovic, Safina, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

lena has no pts to defend in Aus and has very little on the clay court season doubt lena is that worried about her pts

Europe rocks
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Lena :sad: :hug: Hopefully you will be able to get in some practice in Melbourne ahead of the Aussie Open. No points to defend there so a great opportunity to get those valuable ranking points :)

Paco
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM
well done Li Na

RJWCapriati
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
What a tough match!!!!

iPatty
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
she sure does get lucky against top ten players a lot. :haha: