PDA

View Full Version : Is Venus playing in the OZ Open?

~Eclipsed~
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I apologize in advance if a thread was already created, but how is she doing? Will she be ready to play next week or what? I hope so!:bounce:

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I don't think anyone knows! ;) :unsure:

I'd say there is a 50% chance she will play :shrug:

Lulu.
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Probably Not

Venus_Serena
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I don't think so ... I THINK her first tournament in 2007 will be Memphis or Miami

itzhak
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
no

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM
:shrug:

égalité
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I thought she withdrew :shrug:

Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself :tape:

vw.
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Oh dear. The OZ Open is next week? AH. i thot it was two weeks...
hehe my bad.

I hope Venus plays... :sad: GET WELL SOON!

selyoink
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I would bet she isn't.

supergrunt
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'd rather see her not play than lose to some one like Pironkova becuase she is injured and rusty. :ras:

~Eclipsed~
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I'd rather see her not play than lose to some one like Pironkova becuase she is injured and rusty. :ras:

Yeah i agree completely

Andrew..
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM
She shouldn't. Screwing with a wrist injury never turns out well.

SelesFan70
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM
She has no reason to if the wrist is still bummed. It's not like she defending a ton of points. :tape:

Jeff
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I don't think so ... I THINK her first tournament in 2007 will be Memphis or Miami

I agree. I don't think Venus will be back until Miami, although since there hasn't yet been any confirmation who knows at this point.

tennnisfannn
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
She has no reason to if the wrist is still bummed. It's not like she defending a ton of points. :tape:
she is defending a whopping ONE point! These days that counts for something where Venus is concerned:devil:

southpaw58
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I think she'll be back at Anterwp. She entered there right? Yea. If she were supposed to be at AO she'd be there by now i'd assume. She'd be so rusty and her wrist. Better if she rests up, rather than everyone getting on her for having a bad loss.

Ben.
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I think she'll be back at Anterwp. She entered there right? Yea. If she were supposed to be at AO she'd be there by now i'd assume. She'd be so rusty and her wrist. Better if she rests up, rather than everyone getting on her for having a bad loss.

agree, so that she doesn't risk of inflicting more damage on the injury.

junlee_vee
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I don't know, if the wrist if bothering her AT ALL she doesn't need to enter.

Btw, Aussie Open starts in two weeks, Jan. 22nd

darrinbaker00
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I don't know, if the wrist if bothering her AT ALL she doesn't need to enter.

Btw, Aussie Open starts in two weeks, Jan. 22nd
No, the Australian Open starts January 15.

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Did Venus have surgery on her wrist???

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I dunno :shrug: I just hope she shows up ready to play :yeah:

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I really hope she doesn't play
Just get the injury sorted out

every time she plays injured in recent times it takes months for her to recover from

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I really hope she is ready, and only took the pre-AO events off as precaution. That's wishful thinking though. I kinda expect her to pull out at some point. :(

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I dunno :shrug: I just hope she shows up ready to play :yeah:

Me too, she only needs to win a few rounds and her ranking will go up.

backhanddtl4
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
20% yes, 80% no

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Venus lookin' fit & fierce regardless. :cool:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2134/72908392kw2.jpg

I think pulling out of Hopman Cup was more pre-cauton
than anything, but we'll know for certain by friday.
So, it'll be what it'll be.

I thnik she'll play & win. :cool:

Dawn Marie
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM
It's obvious to me that Venus needs wrist surgery but refuses to do it. No she will not play the Aussie open. She wishes to heal by rest.

Inspiration
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Actually it is a whopping TWO points ...

she is defending a whopping ONE point! These days that counts for something where Venus is concerned:devil:

dorotek23
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think so.

Привет
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
darrinbaker is right, Australian Open starts Jan 15 week after Sydney tournament. I really hope Venus plays IF her wrist is fine. If she is worried about reinjuring it, then probably best to stay away.

Marcus1979
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
the Draw is done at 10:30 am this Friday :) :bounce:

TomTennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM
If she is fit enough to play then I think she will. But if she isnt and the wrist is still bothering her then it will only make thigns worse.

new-york
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
wait & see.

as uz.

austennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
lol i dont think she will b playing.. if she was then surely she would be here already.. all the major players are here now either playing tournaments or training in melbourne.. last year Venus and Serena in Melbourne the week before.. you could see them out jogging around the city in the days leading up to the AO

tonythetiger
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I only want Venus to play if she feels she's healthy enough to win. She should not play if her wrist is not 100%. Venus is smart enough to know she shouldn't play injuried.

For the person who suggested surgery, you should know that Keifer had wrist surgery on his wrist last year and he will miss the Aussie Open because his wrist is still not ready. Surgery is not 100% guaranteed to work.

vswfan
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Venus always arrives in Australia a week or two before AO. but this year she hasnt come yet, I think she wont play.

Geertvg
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
But she's still on the entry lists, no?

Venus_Serena
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I only want Venus to play if she feels she's healthy enough to win. She should not play if her wrist is not 100%. Venus is smart enough to know she shouldn't play injuried.

For the person who suggested surgery, you should know that Keifer had wrist surgery on his wrist last year and he will miss the Aussie Open because his wrist is still not ready. Surgery is not 100% guaranteed to work.

I remember Venus saying in a interview that she would stop playing tennis if she had to get a surgery ...

TeamUSA#1
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM

This is true..... look at what has happened to Jennifer Capriati...2 surgeries on her wrist and her shoulder, and her shoulder still is not right.....

Depending on the type of injury, surgery has to be CAREFULLY considered... sometimes it can really work and extend a career (example: Andre's wrist surgery in the mid 90s... fixed his wrist and he went on to win more slams) and other times it can possibly end it (Jenny struggling to come back)...

I hope she can get that wrist together and start playing.. If she could just stay un-injured and play more, she would be back on the rise again....

40-0
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Is not fair! We need an article!
Venus at least play please!! I hope u have been practice ur serve and forehand, dont get laazy with those!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
:scared: I hope she reconsiders one way or the other...:sad:

I hope she plays:sad:

40-0
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Venus always arrives in Australia a week or two before AO. but this year she hasnt come yet, I think she wont play.

yeah, she was supposed to be with Serena at Hobart.. Nooo. I cannot take it!!! :sad:

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I told you guys that her withdrawal will come Friday, Jan 12th around 2pm US Eastern Standard Time. They NEVER announce the Williams Sisters withdrawals until the friday before a tournament.

Haven't you guys learned that already.

cometz9
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I told you guys that her withdrawal will come Friday, Jan 12th around 2pm US Eastern Standard Time. They NEVER announce the Williams Sisters withdrawals until the friday before a tournament.

Haven't you guys learned that already.

sad but true :sad: anyone remember 2003 and 2006 US Open? she wtihdrew right after the draw was made due to injuries :mad: :sobbing:

KishG
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If she withdraws, then she's missed two grandslam tournaments in a row! :eek:

I hope she doesn't play if her wrist is still not fully healed. I'd hate for her to get to the quarter-finals of the AO and her injury still be there in later upcoming tournaments. I don't want a Luxembourg performance again!

Venus! Get rid of this injury once and for all!!!

Viktymise
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
:sad: i want her back so bad but i dont want her to injure her wrist at the same time

Highlandman
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I can't believe that she would miss two GS in a row - its more typical for her to play the GS and makes a break after it, see AO and Wimbledon '06....I still think she plays, I remember that she said: "My wirst is OK" ... :sad:

vwfan
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM
doesn't look good, if she is not already "down under." takes the body a while to acclimate!:sad:

Kunal
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
i thought she withdrew as well

henree
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I am pretty sure she withdrew. And the poster who mentioned acclimation to the time in Austraila was very right. You would never be able to recover to the climate change and time difference in less than 5 days. I am 1000% sure Venus has withdrawn. The tournament organizers know this, they just aren't telling us.

TomTennis
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Looks doubtful. If she was planning on playing or in training for the AO then she would already be in Australia training for the event there in the climate.

Thankfully Serena is playing so we can cheer for her! :worship: :bounce:

Paneru
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I can't believe that she would miss two GS in a row - its more typical for her to play the GS and makes a break after it, see AO and Wimbledon '06....I still think she plays, I remember that she said: "My wirst is OK" ... :sad:

Same here.

It's why I think she decided to skip the Hopman Cup,
to make sure her wrist could be at it's possible best.
To have as much therapy as possible.

The rest she'd deal with. Match play/climate change
some are talking about is overrated IMO as to wheather
or not she'd still play even if healthy. Venus hasn't been
one to let such things be a hinderance to her in that mental
sense.

So I too still hold out that she will play.

we'll know soon.

Williams-forever
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
No, she isn't...It is like 95% sure...I hate to admit it, but it would be a miracle if she was to turn up in Australia in a few days...:sad:

V-MAC
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I am pretty sure she withdrew. And the poster who mentioned acclimation to the time in Austraila was very right. You would never be able to recover to the climate change and time difference in less than 5 days. I am 1000% sure Venus has withdrawn. The tournament organizers know this, they just aren't telling us.

:mad: That is pretty selfish of them then if they know but haven't revealed it yet.:rolleyes: I still have hope that Vee will show up.

santhuruu
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I hope she does, she has a solid one handed backhand slice. But it is her decision and I will respect whatever she choses.

tonythetiger
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I hope she does, she has a solid one handed backhand slice. But it is her decision and I will respect whatever she choses.

I don't think she can hit winners with that backhand slice and smart players will pick that shot apart.

*Joey*
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hope she will play! :drool:

winone23
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I hope Venus plays, I wish we could get confirmation from somewhere. I hope Serena mentions it this week.

V-MAC
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I hope Venus plays, I wish we could get confirmation from somewhere. I hope Serena mentions it this week.

I hope so too.

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
VENUS IS NOT PLAYING IN AUSTRALIA!!! I just called her publicist Lisa. Boy did she dance around a simple question. Then she finally said, "I'm not sure ... "

Venus has obviously given the word to tell no one nothing which means there are CONCERNS!

40-0
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I think i will have to accept it

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
VENUS IS NOT PLAYING IN AUSTRALIA!!! I just called her publicist Lisa.
:scratch: And you have contact with her publicist, how exactly? :unsure:

davidmario
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
if this is true... VENUS :sad:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
She's not playing. I heard she open up a scouting service for the WTA and doing well...:lol:

eugreene2
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
:scratch: And you have contact with her publicist, how exactly? :unsure:

Easy ... it's very simple to find out a players publicist. So I simply called her ... publicist phone numbers are very accessible.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Easy ... it's very simple to find out a players publicist. So I simply called her ... publicist phone numbers are very accessible.
Oh.

junlee_vee
Jan 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
No, the Australian Open starts January 15.

Hmmm, my 2007 US Open calender says it starts on the 22nd.

Why the hell does it say that?!:(

~Eclipsed~
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Poor Venus:sad: