PDA

View Full Version : Two Singles Players Playing Doubles - Let the Record Show

GogoGirl
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hey All,

Remember when the sisters were cracked on for staying back whilst playing doubles. Some said - the above in the thread title and called them unconventional. LOL! But................they won a grand slam and 4 mixed + the Olympics.

I bring it up to point out that I've noticed that some commentators are mentioning when some male doubles team did it - and it was mentioned during the Hopman Cup when Robredo and Medina did it.

I forget the men's team(s) that do/does it - but even then - I was reminded where it started from. Was it Nadal and one of his partners? And doesn't one of the female Chinese teams play this a way?

Anyhoops - Venus & Serena were the first female and may haps team period to play that a way.

What think y'all? Is doubles going that a way? And keep in mind that even if they start the point w/both being back - eventually - one moves up and...................

Viktymise
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Serving and staying back is definatley moving in that direction esp with the top singles players playing it, they usually play singles on the doubles court and for alot of the it works well, look at lenaD, she stays back in doubles and has won the YEC, been in the final of the USO twice and been a semi finalist at Wimbledon beating Venus/Serena along the way. It certainly makes for longer and maybe better rallies :)

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I don't know but often commentators give Suarez/Vivi credit for this:confused: