PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Martina Hingis?

Morrissey
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
The media keep on saying Hingis is back, but she's not where I believe she truly wants to be. Of course yes its positive that Martina is back in the top 10. But Hingis doesn't look like a slam contender she looks like a quarterfinalist or semifinalist at best at the grand slams. I still believe she needs a better serve. She's losing to Safina and now Jankovic. Granted, Jankovic is one of the young players on the rise. Hingis should be lucky Henin is not playing the Australian Open this means her chances of winning the event do go up. Hingis could still win the Australian Open but it will depend on her draw. If Hingis draws, Sharapova or Clijsters I just don't see her getting past the quaterfinals. But if Martina draws Mauresmo or Kuznetsova she's got a shot.

SpankMe
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Don't underestimate Hingis, she's a fighter and she wants it very badly ;)

mashamaniac
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
so do you mean martina will win momo?? i'm not sure about that! maybe she can win kuznetsova but i never know as for momo...

Morrissey
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hingis is getting all this hype but she has yet to beat the top three or four players consistently yet. Until Hingis starts beating Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo, and Sharapova I don't see it happening. She will have to beat two of these players to win the AO.

JCF
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I don't see as a threat to anyone anymore, the game has moved on. Plus I don't think she's what she was.

pooh14
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
at the moment, hingis is not comfortable with the extra ring on her finger.

i reckon she will soon be back in top 5 at least.

thrust
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I think that Hingis lacks the confidence, stamina and reflexes she had in her prime. The same was true of Seles when she came back. Like Seles, Martina will never be as good as she was before she left the game.

Barbarela
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:44 PM
The media keep on saying Hingis is back, but she's not where I believe she truly wants to be. Of course yes its positive that Martina is back in the top 10. But Hingis doesn't look like a slam contender she looks like a quarterfinalist or semifinalist at best at the grand slams. I still believe she needs a better serve. She's losing to Safina and now Jankovic. Granted, Jankovic is one of the young players on the rise. Hingis should be lucky Henin is not playing the Australian Open this means her chances of winning the event do go up. Hingis could still win the Australian Open but it will depend on her draw. If Hingis draws, Sharapova or Clijsters I just don't see her getting past the quaterfinals. But if Martina draws Mauresmo or Kuznetsova she's got a shot.

Why with Mauresmo??! :eek: Martina can't win Amelie since the German open in 2001!:confused: In 2006, she lost 3 times against Amelie! Two of them in 3 sets but in the end it was Amelie who won the match!

Amelie leads Jelena 4-0; Martina lost with Jankovic!:help:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Expectations have changed since last year. She did well in GC, and Jankovic is good. But people are expecting top 5 results now.

spencercarlos
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hingis is getting all this hype but she has yet to beat the top three or four players consistently yet. Until Hingis starts beating Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo, and Sharapova I don't see it happening. She will have to beat two of these players to win the AO.
Hingis has not even reached semifinals of a grand slam since 2002, what makes you think she has a chance of winning a grand slam right now? :rolleyes: She is back yeah, but she is far away from the top 5 at this point, and even more away from reaching the last 4 or a final in a grand slam.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
She's not far from a slam SF, but she would need the right draw.
Maybe in Sveta's quarter.
But she's not on the level of the top 2 or 3 right now.
Serena's fans saw the same thing last year. I heard all the Cincinnati hype, then Vera Z beat her.

Princeza
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Why with Mauresmo??! :eek: Martina can't win Amelie since the German open in 2001!:confused: In 2006, she lost 3 times against Amelie! Two of them in 3 sets but in the end it was Amelie who won the match!

Amelie leads Jelena 4-0; Martina lost with Jankovic!:help:

amelie won vs Martina HINGIS 3-6 6-1 6-4 and 4-6 6-4 6-4 ... i dont see why martina cant win

plus amelie lost to SCHIAVONE 4-6 7-6(4) 6-4 and Nicole VAIDISOVA 6-7(5) 6-1 6-2 so losing to jankovic is not a shame

Morrissey
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I think Hingis can beat Mauresmo because Mauresmo is more inconsistent then Clijsters and Sharapova. Mauresmo can still have very bad days like she had a few last year. Look at Mauresmo's dreadful performance against Maria at the US OPEN. Slicing backhands constantly, blocking serves. Mauresmo can be very passive and defensive on the court. And I feel Clijsters and Sharapova are so aggressive they really will attack Hingis serve over and over again. Hingis is back but unlike last yeat people expect more. Hingis will have to do MORE on the court. She will have to be more aggressive if she wants the AO.

hollywood7172
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
the only players that can consistently beat the top four are the top four themselves. asking that of hingis so soon after her comeback is unfair.

plus even if she doesn't win a grandslam, it's still good for tennis and just peachy for fans like me.

love ya martina!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TennisSTUD
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Watching her play Safina of course her serve does her in sometimes. What bothers me is Martina is still sitting back and waiting for the other player to make the mistake or the first big shot. I was able to guess what was gonna happen in each point. Martina hits her return of serves usually right back to the player. She hits a ton of balls to the middle of the court or even right back to the player. The only point that was worth anything was the first game of the second set...Martina won it 40:0 and was hitting some powerful winners.

IMO She needs to go for her shots more and stop letting the other players make the winners. The same thing happened in every match at the US Open 2006, I saw every match and she just returns the ball.

GET WITH IT GIRL! IS NO ONE TELLING HER THESE THINGS?! AM I THE ONLY ONE SEEING THIS?! AHHHHHHHhhhHHHHHhhhhhhhhh

Billy Moonshine
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Martina lost to a very good player in Jelena. And Safina has beaten Clijsters, Sharapova, Momo, Kuzy, Elena D, and Patty. There is no shame in losing to either of them.Hingis can won a slam because she has experience, talent and desire. Given the right draw and inspiration, she will be there lifting a trophy at least once in the next four or five years.

tae04
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM
No shame she is on the same pace as last season. She hasn't lost any points so far. It's crucial now to equal her AO QF result. She lost to respectable top 15 players this past week.

Andy T
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Safina also lost in R1 of Sydney, against a much less dangerous opponent in the form of "la Pratt" whereas Jankovic is probably "top 8" in terms of form over the last 6 months. In both cases, I imagine, mental and physical sluggishness after the winter break, then one week back on the circuit, played a role.

Henin's absence improves everyone's chances of winning - not just Martina's - so you could describe the 127 others as 'lucky' in that sense. Justine's withdrawal will still leave Hingis in the 5-8 seed bracket, so she won't benefit as much as Clijsters or Schnyder, for example.

It's true that the Martina of 2006-7 would go into a QF as the underdog as she has yet to prove that she can take out a big name in a major, following those QF defeats to Clijsters at Oz and RG last year. However, the same is true of anyone else given that last year, Henin, Mauresmo, Clijsters and Sharapova were hardly ever beaten by others in a major.

Imo, Hingis should be pretty pleased with where she is right now - ie just below the top flight - but I imagine that she'll be disappointed if she doesn't manage to go a bit further during the course of this season. To be honest, I reckon that her main concern in these comeback years has little to do with her ranking and everything to do with winning a major or two. She knows that if she can consistently get to the QF, then sooner or later she'll get a break.

selyoink
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Whats going on is that she isn't as good as the other top players and won't be able to beat them consistently. Last year she did so well because she rarely lost to those ranked below her until later in the year. If she starts losing to the players behind her then she will be in a lot of trouble. So far that has happened but in both cases I think Safina and Jankovic have better games then Martina at this point.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Jankovic and Safina aren't even power hitters.
They're complete players though.
Hingis couldn't capitalize on the weaknesses in their games, mostly because their only weaknesses are mental.
So they capitalized on Hingis' weakness, not being able to open the court.
They anticipated her shots more than Hingis anticipated their shots and it worked.
Hingis definately has to work on that inside-out forehand.
At the least she needs to come to net on it and pressure her opponent to make the winner.

treufreund
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I agree with the last post. Martina Hingis needs to add a bit more of a weapon. I still think it's tough to play the net more because of her lack of reach. She also does not have a ton of power either so what she needs is to mix up her game tons, try to be more unpredictable, maybe improve her slices too, come into net more, go for some big shots more frequently. Really it's a multi-pronged approach that she needs to use and frankly it is a lot to ask of her. she is playing quite well but she just physically is not as fast or as strong as many other girls. but with more risk means more errors. overall, I still think taking more risks would be helpful. on the other hand, her dogged defense is very smart too. Honestly, I am not 100% sure what the answer is for her except to improve her power, speed, etc around the court and maybe work on her serve and forehand a bit. overall, she is such a complete player but just needs more weapons. really we are asking a lot of her I think. overall just believing in herself more and taking some risks on break points would be super helpful though.

!<blocparty>!
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Her serve is letting her down, big time. It blows that she hasn't bothered working on it more than she has.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:16 PM
It's this simple when she retired the first time I don't totally believe it was because of injury. All the players that were beating Martina on a regular basis where the power hitters, Lindsay, Venus, Serena and to a lesser extent Mary. Now it seems nothing has changed only the names of the players beating her has. I've watched both the Gold coast final and the Sydney 1st round and she getting done in by her second serve Jankovic just clocked it most of the time. Martina only got to 7 in the world as she had no points to defend it will be a great comeback if she is there or better at this time next year.

Muffin the Mule
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
As disappointing as Martina's last two matches are, it's worth remembering that today's Top 20-30 is loaded with girls who can, on a good day, blow her away with their power. When Martina was No1, she never had to deal with this and was only seriously challenged by the rest of the Top 5. She's never going to be a power player, and I think it's too late in her career to get her to change the style of play she's been employing for the last 20 years. However, her consistency means that when the big names have an off-day she'll always be there to pick up the pieces which is why she'll easily stay Top 10 and possibly make the Top 5 this year.

The critics need to give her a break, what she did last year was incredible and she's only had two tight losses to two of the best young players on the circuit. The tour was so boring without Martina and I'm so happy she's playing again, even if she's not the all-conquering Martina we saw in her "first" career.

partbrit
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Her serve is letting her down, big time. It blows that she hasn't bothered working on it more than she has.

When I saw her in the YEC, I was blown away by how much she had worked on it. Her first serve at that tournament was pretty good, and her second was far from the disaster it had been.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Well it's obvious that Martina can only be in top ten! Nothing more. Winning a major is stupid thinking. Don't get offended MH fans, but do you really think that she can win one GS??? I can bet with you that she won't win another ever again...anything on the table :shrug:

austennis
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Hingis is playing some great tennis.. her problem atm is that she isnt strong enough on her serve and little inconsistent.. but before people write her off for the AUS Open just remember we havent seen Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, Schnyder play yet and CLijsters, Sharapova, Dementieva have so far only played in exhibitons and not all that well..

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Kim didn't play well in Hong Kong? WTF! She played some great tennis. :shrug:

thomas.chung
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Wait and see is what I think we should all say about Martina Hingis. The thing is she is a constantly improving player. Each time we see her, she adds something to her game, for example as one of the posters pointed out, her serve. Yes, her serve is still a little weak, but I think at this point her serve is far and away better than Jan 06. She and dare I compare Roger Federer, are the same kind of player, smart and resourceful. They both know what they need to work on, what they need to do to get to their goal. Each time they loose to a player, they are usually close matches. So for them, they take more away from close matches than any other. I feel that the way she is playing and the way the score suggest, it won't be long before she moves up yet again. Grand slam material-wise, it really depends, IMO it is really a mix of luck and ability. Hell with the right draw (and a little bit of luck), even Pratt could reach a GS QF. So I can't see why she can't win a major. Ruling out someone so early always means trouble.

stevos
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Are you kidding me, she lost to Jelena Jankovic, who just won her last tournament, in tight 3 sets!
This is so pathetic to say "What's going on with her". I mean, remember this time last year. No one believed she would ever be able to make the top 10, and look where she is. She won a tier 1, another title, make the quarters at her second/third tournament back, a Grand Slam!

I mean, the title should be "Whats going on with all the idiots at WTAWorld :rolleyes:

jenny161185
Jan 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM
so martina cant win a slam again and you d bet anything on it - Id never write off anyone whos won 5 slams and been number one in the world for four years running

go hingis
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
we should ask this question to all players when they lose not only Martina.

Martina wins a match she's the best, she loses she's the worst. I feel for Martina she has so much negativity with each loss.

Does anyone else realise that half the players are going to lose each round.

Hingie
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I posted this in another thread but this is how i see it at the moment:

Hingis is really having trouble converting break points - we saw it on the Gold Coast and again in Sydney. Maybe that's something that will come with more match play. But i remember one game where she had 0-40 against JJ and then squandered 2 or 3 points with framed returns - very unlike her - someone who normally has such great technique.

The thing that gets me with Hingis is that you can see her move in and out of aggressive mode which is really annoying. She gets up and then fluffs in a few serves that land short and surprise surprise she is getting pushed around. Also, she really is having trouble finishing the point - something she was SO good at. I'm not sure if it's because everyone is moving quicker - i think it has more to do with her confidence level and the fact she doesn't go as close to the lines. Because of the less power on her shots, she needs to. And the backhand down the line basically produced no winners for her against JJ or against Safina - again she needs to be able to rely on something that will be a weapon and she was known for this shot.

Hopefully these are aspects she will work on.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:21 AM
You made it sound like it's everythig up to Hingis...
Well her's opponents knows how to play tennis as well :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:22 AM
so martina cant win a slam again and you d bet anything on it - Id never write off anyone whos won 5 slams and been number one in the world for four years running

Yes I would bet anything on it!!!

So what if she won 5 GS? Do you how many years ago was that???
In yours opinion if Steffi is to come back, she would bet NO 1 favourite at AO cause of hers GS's :shrug:

OZTENNIS
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Hey, Safina played a great match against Martina and really could have won it in ss. As for Jankovic, she also should have polished Hingis off in ss, so really Hingis did well to push them to 3 sets! Safina and Jankovic are strong outside chances for the Aussie Open

lynch79
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Hingis is really having trouble converting break points - we saw it on the Gold Coast and again in Sydney. Maybe that's something that will come with more match play. But i remember one game where she had 0-40 against JJ and then squandered 2 or 3 points with framed returns - very unlike her - someone who normally has such great technique.

The thing that gets me with Hingis is that you can see her move in and out of aggressive mode which is really annoying. She gets up and then fluffs in a few serves that land short and surprise surprise she is getting pushed around. Also, she really is having trouble finishing the point - something she was SO good at. I'm not sure if it's because everyone is moving quicker - i think it has more to do with her confidence level and the fact she doesn't go as close to the lines. Because of the less power on her shots, she needs to. And the backhand down the line basically produced no winners for her against JJ or against Safina - again she needs to be able to rely on something that will be a weapon and she was known for this shot.

I agree.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM
there is absolutely no shame in losing to Safina and Jankovic. Those two players were red hot coming into their matches with Martina.

Quite honestly, I think she's relieved to be heading to Melbourne as we speak. She showed fine form after being bamboozled by Justine last year in the Open.

Again, with a little luck of the draw and her self feeling confident...she can sneak right in there! With Justine being out...everyone's chances in hoisting that Daphne Ankhurst trophy has just been boosted.

I was actually surprised she played Gold Coast this year. Now with a week off, I believe she is ready to make a run in her home turf in Melbourne. No body is more accomplished in that court than Hingis. but first things first....focus on converting break points.

Hingie
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Yes I would bet anything on it!!!

So what if she won 5 GS? Do you how many years ago was that???
In yours opinion if Steffi is to come back, she would bet NO 1 favourite at AO cause of hers GS's :shrug:

Actually no because Steffi is well past 30 now - that's hardly a valid argument.

You've made quite a few sweeping statements in your time here at WTAWorld - i hope your predications hold, otherwise i see quite a few threads being bumped to rub it in... not that i would. ;)

LUIS9
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I don't see as a threat to anyone anymore, the game has moved on. Plus I don't think she's what she was.

I understand you're not a fan of hers and that's fine. However, I have to totally agree with you on this one. She's really lost a lot of what made her the great player that she once was. She's certainly much too erratic these days, even on the backhand side, back in the 97-99 period, some of the easy unforced errors she creates even from the backhand side are unheard of.

Her forehand is not nearly as consistent as her even then vulnerable forehand, whilst it was still vulnerable back then it was a much more consistent shot. Her consistency in general is certainly not where it once was, even from matches to matches she's not consitent enough or from tournament to tournament. I do understand that these days she's forced to hit more errors because everyone moves so much better and is fitter than in her hey day period. Nevertheless, some of the errors coming of Hingis racket are simply unacceptable considering her ability and skill. Perhaps it's the lack of not having played professionally for 3+ yrs but she's lost quite a bit of what made her so good. That consistency is something she needs badly especially now that she no longer has the aura of being worlds number 1 or the consistent champion that she was.

Lastly, I think she's lost some of her fight, yeah sure she lost most of her confidence and fight after losing Roland '99 final and much of her career changed from that point on, but she really seems to really not give it her all or fight after she sees she's in a tight situation in a third set. Perhaps she needs more time to acquire that instinct she has not used for many years. Yes, she still wants to compete and at least she forced her past two losses into three sets but that's not fighting enough or wanting it as badly as she says she wants to be back and winning.

Nonetheless, I am very happy that she's back and still playing creative tennis, while it's not so creative at times especially since wimby of '06. I will always be an admirer of her tennis skills, if anything I will always thank her for getting me into becoming a tennis fan.

LUIS9
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:22 AM

See I totally have noticed this, some of the silly errors she's made the past year and currently just baffle me. Hopefully it's something she can get rid of, knowing what great technique she posseses. I thought I was the only one who noticed that her usual consistent self isn't quite there and her technique is not always as sound as it was or can be.

Derek.
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM
They're complete players though.
Hingis couldn't capitalize on the weaknesses in their games, mostly because their only weaknesses are mental.
So they capitalized on Hingis' weakness, not being able to open the court.
They anticipated her shots more than Hingis anticipated their shots and it worked.
Hingis definately has to work on that inside-out forehand.
At the least she needs to come to net on it and pressure her opponent to make the winner.

Safina is a power player.

Did you see the final?

It's quite obvious she relys on power both on her serve and groundstrokes.

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Did you see the final?

Yeah let Wannabeknowitall believe that Safina and Jankovic are all court players with no power, ala Schiavonne, Sugiyama, Martinez likes.

Andrew..
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Safina is absolutely a power player. And a stupid one at that.

Andrew..
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM
There are things Martina needs to change in her game. Her serve is pathetic now. Last year in Australia, and really through Indian Wells, it was much improved from when she left the game initially. It has since reverted, bigtime. She needs to fix that if she wants to solidify a place in the top five. She also needs to stop trying to hit with the power players, and mix up her game so that she can win. She tried to hit with Safina, and it's just not good enough. She was trying to do that late in 2002, as well.

But the good thing is that she really, really wants it. She's killing herself on every point. Martina was out of it when she quit. At times last year, she looked really lost. Against Safina, she was fighting for every point, and just looked very hungry. As long as she keeps up that intensity, I think she'll be okay.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Did you see the final?

Yes. I saw the final and there was really nothing about her groundstrokes that made me go whoa.
Hingis was in that match and had her chance.
She's not up there at the highest level of power hitters, especially if a player like Pratt can beat her.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Yeah let Wannabeknowitall believe that Safina and Jankovic are all court players with no power, ala Schiavonne, Sugiyama, Martinez likes.

Sweetie, get over yourself.
At no time did I say they had no power.
I said they weren't even power hitters.
They're all court player with good groundstrokes.
I must be the only one noticing commentators mentioning that Jankovic and Safina need a little more umph on their shots against the top players.
It was mentioned when Jankovic played Vaidisova at Linz and when Safina played Sharapova at LA.
I agree with them. They aren't in that upper echelon yet and use an all-court game to deal with that.
As much as I hate Safina's groundstrokes, she came up with the goods many times once Hingis assumed that Safina would choke at the net.

LoveFifteen
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I find it funny that whenever someone beats Martina, all we hear is "They've got Martina figured out now." Na Li beat Dementieva, Pratt beat Safina, and Schnyder has lost, too, but I didn't read one single post about how their opponent had finally "figured them out". :shrug:

Veritas
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
What's going on with Martina is the serve. I watched the entire match and it's clear from the start the ball was on Jelena's side. I can't even start counting how many times Martina had to dig deep (or get lucky from Jelena's errors) to get herself out from being down a break. OK, the stats say she had 67% first serves in and that's not too bad, but the pace of the shot was achingly slow. Had Jelena been less erratic and more patient, she would've clobbered more winners on her returns. I love Martina, but let's face it, the serve is a serious problem.

Also I thought Martina had an unusually high number of errors. Some of it may be forced by Jelena, but a lot of them came from making poor shot selection. For example, when Martina was close to the net and hit a backhand high off the ball, she hit it cross-court towards Jelena and therefore opened up a section for Jelena to hit back a winner. Bad tactic IMO, especially since there was plenty of court space where that backhand could've gone and been a winner. Martina's backhand is the best double-handed one IMO, but it just wasn't working that day.

Plus, I think Martina didn't do well under pressure. When Jelena was up 5-3 and Martina was serving, I think she got only two first serves in :help:

But on a positive note, Martina's drop-shots were awesome. I love how perfect her timing and execution is. If anyone can shorten a point with such a risky shot, it's Martina :yeah:

Thing is, it's good to have an all-court game, but Martina needs to have perfect tact all the time if she's going to compensate for the lack of pace from her shots. Again, a lot of it came from her errors and I think she needs to get Melanie back as a full-time coach because not having one on the circuit isn't the best choice.

barmaid
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Martina's problem at the moment is that she is "coachless". During the Zurich Open last year she stated that Melanie would no longer be her coach and opted to go it alone. Well she didn't win the Zurich tournament but still played decently at the YEC in Madrid taking Justine and Mauresmo to 3 sets and beating Petrova. She got engaged in November so I would say after a romantic holiday where very little tennis was played she's not in top notch shape nor is she getting any guidance from any coaching. After years of listening to Melanie's tough drills and demands, she seems to be floundering without that discipline and I think she should "hire" a coach for the rest of the year. She certainly has the money and like the fellow said "It wouldn't hurt"!:devil: :rolleyes: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
get Brad Gilbert.....she needs a bad cop out there in the practice courts with her. if she really wants this bad, she'd seek help like this.

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Sweetie, get over yourself.
At no time did I say they had no power.
I said they weren't even power hitters.
They're all court player with good groundstrokes.
I must be the only one noticing commentators mentioning that Jankovic and Safina need a little more umph on their shots against the top players.
It was mentioned when Jankovic played Vaidisova at Linz and when Safina played Sharapova at LA.
I agree with them. They aren't in that upper echelon yet and use an all-court game to deal with that.
As much as I hate Safina's groundstrokes, she came up with the goods many times once Hingis assumed that Safina would choke at the net.
Not everybody have to have the power that Sharapova/Pierce for example to be considered power players.
Safina has more power than Jankovic, but still Jankovicīs game is not based about moving the ball around the court and waiting for the oponnents mistakes, making consistency her best part of the game :rolleyes:, not they are not those kind of players.
Ask Kuznetsova who received 37 winners at the Usopen how a non power player like Jankovic was able to do that or Henin who was getting outnumbered in winners until she got to 6-4 4-2 in that Usopen Semifinal.
And about Safina, i think i donīt even have to comment about her, she can hit the hell out of the ball, and she is very agressive on the court, even to try to imply she is not a power player by you is simply :rolleyes:

silverbuckle2001
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I think Martina,is a savy player who has more then one plan for the match she is playing at the time. How ever no matter how many plans you have there are time when all the plans go away and no matter what you try,it just doesn't work.

At this time,that is what i see with Martina,but never count her out. I can tell you something she has lost some of her movement because of the foot problems. You can see it in her walk and in her running. She tries to hide it but look closely it is there. Oh I know the Williams fans would like to believe the sisters sent her packing,because of thier power,but I don't think so. I do believe there is more to tennis then hit it hard and if that doesn't work hit it harder,etc. I think Martina will see more slam titles in the future.

hollywood7172
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! i'm just LMAO at all these people here on WTAWORLD who think they know more about tennis, and more specifically more about martina's tennis, than martina herself, WAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

you guys are a barrel of monkeys.