PDA

View Full Version : I saw Hingis/Jankovic LIVE!!!

CaptnMatt
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I was at the Hingis/Jankovic match in Sydney today......I just got home infact and wow - what a match!!!! For an opening round match, that was pretty much as tough as they come...

I learnt a few things from watching which some people may like to discuss...

1. I know some people think Jankovic isn't a power player...but geez, I'd never seen Martina play live before...and she's really disadvantaged with how hard she hits the ball...i used to think the whole 'power' thing was hyped up too much....but its actually true...the weight of the Hingis shot is so much less than that of Jankovic.....alot of the time, this was the difference in the points.

2. Hingis needs to start converting break points....she had games where Jankovic was serving 0-40, 15-40, and she blew some easy chances to break - particularly in the final set.

3. Jankovic is worthy of a top-10 spot......really, I didn't think Hingis played badly today - Jankovic produced some extremely good groundstrokes....they were well-placed as well as powerful....(i think we all know that power alone isnt enough to beat Hingis)....Jankovic has ALOT of talent and can definitely challenge the top 10. Hingis would have beaten most players below her today - she definitely didnt play poorly - she came up with some aweseome shots of her own....and I think she played better than at the Gold Coast last week (compared to the final against Safina anyway).

4. If power was not a factor, Hingis would beat EVERYONE. I dont think she can win the Aussie Open with the game the way it is now. I watched today...and some of her shots - geez....they're unbelievable.....the drop shots and volleys...her game really is the complete package....but often, putting herself in the position to win the point wasn't enough....she struggled to hit the winner - and I think that in the end, it won't be enough for another big title.

5. Basically, to sum up.....when I first arrived and saw the first part of the match....I thought Jankovic was going to THRASH Hingis......How Martina stays in those matches I have no idea - really I dont know how she does it.....Jankovic just looked to have so much more power and strength behind her shots than what Hingis did......and yet, Martina nearly pulled out a victory....In my mind, she is the greatest tennis player ever.....I dont care how many times she loses to these players.....she knows whats going on out there......and if she could just find a way to add some strength and power to her shots - she'd be back winning the slams again.

Ana&Jelena Fan
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for report. :wavey:

K-Dog
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I have a question. Was Hingis getting good height over the net on her forehand? Is she wasn't, that probably allowed Jelena to push her around. When Hingis came back last year, the one thing that she added to her game was that her forehand had so much more spin on it and she was getting good depth on it. If she can't hit hard, she can hit deep and hit to keep for opponents back. Also, was Martina using a lot of variety or just trying to hit with Jelena? Again, if Hingis wasn't using variety, she can kiss any chance of beating these types of players when they have relatively good days. Martina needs to using all her shots to throw the rhythm of the baseline-bashers off and also to open up the court. To me, Martina was doing that at the Oz Opwn last year, but after Tokyo, she stopped doing it. Martina needs to go back to lots of variety and hitting her forehand high over the net to get back to being a threat to win big titles again.

blue249
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I watched the her finals match last week and was impressed with her game and fitness. I still think her second serve is to vulnerable it was just getting crushed.

The one thing that stuck out was her inability to captilize on break points. Sounds like this happened again in this match.

Drake1980
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Thank you!!!

pav
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I agree about this Jankovic isn't a power player talk, She sure puts out a pretty good imitation of one and her placement is very good she can pepper the lines and not give easy points.

CaptnMatt
Jan 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I have a question. Was Hingis getting good height over the net on her forehand? Is she wasn't, that probably allowed Jelena to push her around. When Hingis came back last year, the one thing that she added to her game was that her forehand had so much more spin on it and she was getting good depth on it. If she can't hit hard, she can hit deep and hit to keep for opponents back. Also, was Martina using a lot of variety or just trying to hit with Jelena? Again, if Hingis wasn't using variety, she can kiss any chance of beating these types of players when they have relatively good days. Martina needs to using all her shots to throw the rhythm of the baseline-bashers off and also to open up the court. To me, Martina was doing that at the Oz Opwn last year, but after Tokyo, she stopped doing it. Martina needs to go back to lots of variety and hitting her forehand high over the net to get back to being a threat to win big titles again.

Hingis did try and mix up the points a fair bit....she came to net sometimes (tho she could probably have done it a bit more).....and the drop shots were mostly very effective!!.....seriously, i remember one point....and Jankovic was belting the ball at Hingis....and Martina was putting in so much effort to get the ball back deep....then all of a sudden....she came up with a drop shot (i think many people will have seen it on TV)....but the crowd around me stood up and applauded.....everyone around me was like 'wow - she really is a special player'.....the volleys and drop-shots were really impressive....

I think Hingis needs to work on opening up the court with her forehand.....the forehand in my opinion needs alot more work........perhaps she could try to mirror Mauresmo's forehand....she opens the court up really well.

On the 'topspin' question....I thought Hingis hit the ball flatter than normal...she wasnt getting quite as much spin and height over the net as last year....and when she was, it wasn't as effective as when she came back either.

In saying all of this tho, Jankovic really does deserve credit....because I honestly thought Hingis played a really good match....there wasn't much NOT to like about the way either girl played....they were both fantastic. Jankovic's down-the-line backhand was causing Hingis all sorts of problems. And yet at times, Hingis turned defence into attack so brilliantly...Really, the difference between them was the power....and im not just repeating everyone else...but if Hingis wants to do better, she really needs to develop some more strength so that her shots have more pace and greater depth....

hingisGOAT
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
this match is over-blown. it gives hingis good match preparation and she won't be too exhausted before melbourne. jankovic has been playing as well as basically anyone on tour. and match reports from both losses indicate that hingis' main problem was converting her break points -- something that will come with match play.

i'm still very optimistic for the australian open.

K-Dog
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Hingis did try and mix up the points a fair bit....she came to net sometimes (tho she could probably have done it a bit more).....and the drop shots were mostly very effective!!.....seriously, i remember one point....and Jankovic was belting the ball at Hingis....and Martina was putting in so much effort to get the ball back deep....then all of a sudden....she came up with a drop shot (i think many people will have seen it on TV)....but the crowd around me stood up and applauded.....everyone around me was like 'wow - she really is a special player'.....the volleys and drop-shots were really impressive....

I think Hingis needs to work on opening up the court with her forehand.....the forehand in my opinion needs alot more work........perhaps she could try to mirror Mauresmo's forehand....she opens the court up really well.

On the 'topspin' question....I thought Hingis hit the ball flatter than normal...she wasnt getting quite as much spin and height over the net as last year....and when she was, it wasn't as effective as when she came back either.

In saying all of this tho, Jankovic really does deserve credit....because I honestly thought Hingis played a really good match....there wasn't much NOT to like about the way either girl played....they were both fantastic. Jankovic's down-the-line backhand was causing Hingis all sorts of problems. And yet at times, Hingis turned defence into attack so brilliantly...Really, the difference between them was the power....and im not just repeating everyone else...but if Hingis wants to do better, she really needs to develop some more strength so that her shots have more pace and greater depth....

I agree with the whole power thing. She needs to add some more pace and heaviness to her ground game. I truely believe that shemust go back to hitting her forehand with more spin and depth. I mean, when she hits her forehand flatter, it feeds the power players with pace that they love hitting against. A more spinny and higher forehand doesn't supply any pace, pushes the player back, and can result in getting some shorter balls. The only time Martina should flatten the ball out is on approach shots and when she is going down the line for a winner. Otherwise, in a rally, Martina needs to use the topspin forehand to better effect, esp. on rebound ace.

I'm glad that she played a good match and used variety, but I want her to get out of this bad habit of hitting her forehand so flat. It leads to unforced errors, pace to the power players, and it isn't often deep enough. Come on Martina. Use your brain.

Ben.
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
thanks for the report captn matt :yeah: can't believe some ppl underestimate jankovic & say that she isn't a power player plus she can also hit some good finesse as well too.

not surprised that jankovic outplayed hingis with her power & at this rate i cannot see hingis winning the AO due to a certain no.of players overpowering her. but however hingis does have great hands & finesse which is what has gotten her back into the Top 10 so who knows.

K-Dog
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
this match is over-blown. it gives hingis good match preparation and she won't be too exhausted before melbourne. jankovic has been playing as well as basically anyone on tour. and match reports from both losses indicate that hingis' main problem was converting her break points -- something that will come with match play.

not really. i've noticed the same patterns from Martina since after Tokyo. in Miami and Indian Wells, she went back to the high forehand, but after that, she strayed away from it for some reason. her results after the clay-court season weren't as good as before and one of the differences in her play was the amount of topspin on the forehand and the use of variety. there is more than one way to push people back. ask Rafa Nadal.

CaptnMatt
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I agree with the whole power thing. She needs to add some more pace and heaviness to her ground game. I truely believe that shemust go back to hitting her forehand with more spin and depth. I mean, when she hits her forehand flatter, it feeds the power players with pace that they love hitting against. A more spinny and higher forehand doesn't supply any pace, pushes the player back, and can result in getting some shorter balls. The only time Martina should flatten the ball out is on approach shots and when she is going down the line for a winner. Otherwise, in a rally, Martina needs to use the topspin forehand to better effect, esp. on rebound ace.

I'm glad that she played a good match and used variety, but I want her to get out of this bad habit of hitting her forehand so flat. It leads to unforced errors, pace to the power players, and it isn't often deep enough. Come on Martina. Use your brain.

This is so weird...I completely AGREE with everything you just said. I noticed when watching today that Jankovic did struggle a little more with shots which weren't quite as flat and hard....the shots with more top-spin created more problems than when Hingis tried to respond with hard, flat shots......Martina has the game to still do wonderful things in the tennis world.....she's just gotta learn to execute correctly....i still believe she can do it.

winone23
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM

The match is not overblown, Hingis went out in the first round, that's not overblown!!!

K-Dog
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
This is so weird...I completely AGREE with everything you just said. I noticed when watching today that Jankovic did struggle a little more with shots which weren't quite as flat and hard....the shots with more top-spin created more problems than when Hingis tried to respond with hard, flat shots......Martina has the game to still do wonderful things in the tennis world.....she's just gotta learn to execute correctly....i still believe she can do it.

I completely agree. She can be top 5 if she uses her repitoire correctly. When Hingis was being beat by Lindsay, Jennifer, Venus, Serena, and even Monica in the early 2000's, Martina was trying to hit with the power hitters. Even Pam Shriver and Mary Jo commented during her Oz Open final in 2001 that they had seen Hingis trying to outhit the power players too many times during the past few years and how it wasn't working and that Martina was getting frustrated. Hingis needs to use her court craft to beat power players. That means net play, moonballs, short-angles, slices, lobs, drop-shots, topspin forehands, loopy balls, and approaching on junk (junk doesn't mean bad shots, but no pace stuff). That'll all work and frustrate the power players. Martina is getting frustrated atm on the court, but she needs to be the one frustrating.

Experimentee
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Jankovic isn't really a power player in the same way that others are, like the Williams sisters, Pierce, Ivanovic, Safina. She does have power on her groundstrokes, especially her backhand, but she doesn't hit every ball hard, she likes to rally and wait for her chance. The type of player who is typically called a power player has their whole game based on power.

I think the match shows that Hingis can be easily overpowered more than before. The points really depended on Jankovic and Hingis was just trying to retrieve everything. Hingis' serve was a liability too, very easily attackable.

perseus2006
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Maybe it's Hingis that's overblown?

Mileen
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your report! Interesting read!

go hingis
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I also just came back from the match and It was a high quality match. I think both girls played great and the main factor I thought was confidence. Martina was up on most of Jelena's service games and had so many breakpoints but I think she might still be confused when to go for it and when to keep the pressure on and keep the ball in play. Martina also needs to keep strong on every service game. I know it's a problem she has commented on herself and in the old days it was easier for her to break back after a loose game. I think Martina can see what she needs to work on and that a good sign. I really hope this motivates Martina to kick ass at AO.

What was up with Jelena's injury break at the beginning of the third? She also kept stretching, cramping over but then wouldn't be effected in her play. Anyone see on T.V?

miss_molik
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Yeah, i was there too and they both played really well.

Hingie
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I've just watched most of the match on replay and it really was great quality considering the wind.

Jankovic is the real deal. What really impresses me with this girl is that as another poster stated, she doens't just blast every ball. If she's dragged out of the court, instead of going for the winner down the line with maybe a 20% chance of success she plays a really high backhand crosscourt to get back into the point. Very VERY impressive. Dementieva really should pay attention - great shot selection.

Hingis is really having trouble converting break points - we saw it on the Gold Coast and again in Sydney. Maybe that's something that will come with more match play. But i remember one game where she had 0-40 and then squandered 2 or 3 points with framed returns - very unlike her - someone who normally has such great technique.

The thing that gets me with Hingis is that you can see her move in and out of aggressive mode which is really annoying. She gets up and then fluffs in a few serves that land short and surprise surprise she is getting pushed around. Also, she really is having trouble finishing the point - something she was SO good at. I'm not sure if it's because everyone is moving quicker - i think it has more to do with her confidence level and the fact she doesn't go as close to the lines. Because of the less power on her shots, she needs to. And the backhand down the line basically produced no winners for her today - again she needs to be able to rely on something that will be a weapon and she was known for this shot.

I'm not too disheartened with the performance today - i thought it was a great match and in many ways reaffirmed why i love her so much as a player.

Hopefully she can pull it all together for next week. :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the report:bounce:

Prizeidiot
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I was there too! - best women's match I've ever seen in my 5 years attending the Medibank event.

Really, it was wonderful tennis. Neither are the extreme power hitters that either hit or miss, and I think that contributed to some of the rallies. I really can't emphasize how good it was, no one deserved to lose.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:50 AM
i missed the 1st set (i was waiting for vaidisovas autograph) but the 2nd and 3rd sets were so so good. jankovics backhand down the line looks even better live and apart from 1 shank hingis' serve aint too bad

PLP
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I was there too! - best women's match I've ever seen in my 5 years attending the Medibank event.

Really, it was wonderful tennis. Neither are the extreme power hitters that either hit or miss, and I think that contributed to some of the rallies. I really can't emphasize how good it was, no one deserved to lose.

Thanks! That is good to hear. I am trying not to be too disheartened by this loss. I love Jelena and am so happy for her success but as others have stated Martina's BP conversion was just so terrible, it was a bit of a painful match to follow. Still, I am glad that the quality was quite high. :)

spencercarlos
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Pretty much agree with your comments about Hingis forehand topspin, if she fails to show that this year, she will definetly keep losing against these power players more often than she did last year.
She needs that forehand deep and with a lot of topspin ASAP, just watch her matches at the Australian Open last year, and watch her at the Masters, the diference is very big, at the Masters Hingis was trying to hit with them most of the time.