PDA

View Full Version : IS the two handed forehand a dying class

pengluv
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Ive always beleived in two-handers especially after monica seles and shuai success. But now with Shuai and Bartoli losing early rounds. Do you think that any two handed forehanders have the ability to be in the top 10 now?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM
yes i dont see why not

treufreund
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I hope they are a dying breed.

So Disrespectful
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Sure they do! Bartoli of course is having a bad season so far, but once she gets on a roll, she can always be a threat to the top players.

Shaui on the other hand, I think her play so far this year has been rather impressive. She has had terrible luck with her draws so far, but she has to get a lucky break sooner or later. She should do well at the Australian Open.

I know people try to say that the two-handed forehand has disadvantages, but just like the double-handed backhand it also has its advantages. It's just more natural to pick up a racquet with one hand for the forehand stroke and it seems like coaches are always teaching their students this. It would be a great thing to have more two handers off both sides.

pcrtennis
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Shuai will acheive alot and wait until Ayumi Morita makes her way into MDs in the future.

esquímaux
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM
...but once she munches on a few rolls gets on a roll...:freudian slip: ;)

Havok
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
It died when Seles left the game (even though she hasn't officialy retired, I just can't see her coming back on tour). Bartoli and Peng are the other two "big" names who use the double-handed forehands, but none hit it like Seles.

hingisGOAT
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
the two-handed forehand is, in a word, retarded.

pengluv
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Its just that peng and bartoli are big hitters but now big enough hitters to be moving so slow. I think that they have to work on their fitness because using two handed on both sides takes so much energy out of it, i know the feeling. The reason i think yan zi and morigami dont do that well is that they are passive sometimes in their nature and for two handers that just something you cant do. But the thing is i doubt there will be a super fast two hander any time soon.

switz
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM
in todays game you've got to be a bloody good player to get away with a two handed forehand. Even Seles realised later in her career that she needed to the ability to hit one handed forehands when stretched.

Bartoli and Peng show you can still be successful but they also show that it's difficult to maintain consistency with it (espescially when you're not a particularly good athlete)

selyoink
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I hope so.

yukon145
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
it was never a class, very few players do it. and those who do use, have to very well, ala monica seles.

Привет
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I can play two handed, sometimes more consistently than one handed. At first it was a little awkward and my swing was very mechanical and missed often, but now it's more of a circular swing and I can hit them quite well. Not in matches, I'm just talking about practice. But I can still hit them low, deep & hard.

I don't think it will be a dying breed. There's Morita who's an impressive junior, she should make some strides on the tour in a few years. And Bartoli & Peng (at least Peng hasn't) been to the top of their games yet, so there's still a future for the two hander.

Dementieva_Dude
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Personally, I think that Monica will be the last Grand Slam winner with a 2-handed forehand.

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I hope they are a dying breed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, the two-handed forehand is very rare in the professional ranks historically.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I hope the 2 handed forehand stays in the pros. nice to see it once in a while

GrandSlam05
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Ree was hitting the two-handed forehand at Miami 2005 in parts of her match against Vee.

égalité
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Nakamura won today :shrug:

jazar
Jan 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
of course its dying out, it isnt as effective as a single handed forehand. its just something very few people learn at a young age, get good at and don't want to change for fear of ruining their game

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Well said, its really ugly and aweful and unlogical. And when i try to use it just for fun i have zero power and control.

Viktymise
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
:lol: actually there are more people using a 2 handed FH than ever before in womens tennis with Peng, Bartoli, Morigami, Yan, Nakamura all using it

I<3Myskina
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I used to use the two handed forehand, until my coach told me to stop and go for single.

I can't ever imagine using a two handed forehand again...

matthieu_tennis
Jan 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
me, when i started to play i'm a lefty and i was hitting my forehand like a 2 handed backhand of a right players lol i was playing 2 handed of both side but like a right player LOLLLL, i was good :)

BuT now i have a one handed forehand and a normal backhand

supergrunt
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I used to hit two-handed off both sides. It felt natural for a while and I actually think it improved my one handed forehand which I have used for a few years now :) .

:inlove:
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Another outstandingly intelligent post. :bowdown:

Paul.
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM
i dont think its a dying breed, i just think that there will always be very few players who hit with a double handed forehand. in fact, if anything, there are more players now who hit with a two handed forehand and it kind of matches the growing "power play" style.

however, if you're talking about "top" players then i think it will be a while before we see another one with a double handed forehand. think about it, there are far less than one per cent of ranked players who are considered "top players" who have a single handed forehand, but since the VAST majority of players hit with a single hander, they are come about far more often. you could easily find 1000 players with one handed forehands and find the minority of top players. but with double handers, there are hardly any, so it would take far longer for a "top" one to come about.

i'm still hoping peng will show us what she can do.

i also think that more will come from asia. we already have shuai, yan, akiko and morita from asia and zheng also used to hit with a two handed forehand (although she probably changed because she saw the disadvantages and has now become more successful than peng :lol: ) so who's to say a gem won't arrive in the future? :shrug:

watch zheng play, you will see that her left arm stays close to her right when she hits a forehand and makes the same motion - almost like hitting a two handed forehand without actually having your other hand on the racquet :lol:

so anyway, i don't think they're a dying breed. if anything, i think they're thriving on this power play generation :rocker2:

EDIT: also add nakamura to the list of asians with a double hander ;):lol:

oliverbecken
Jan 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I LIKE IT:kiss: , like maria antonia´s or seles...now Nakamura and Peng, this one will do great results this year...;)

pcrtennis
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Well said, its really ugly and aweful and unlogical. And when i try to use it just for fun i have zero power and control.

Wait until you see Morita's Two-handed forehand...it's really nice to watch, looks just like her two-handed backahnda becasue she switches the grip.