PDA

View Full Version : Kim: I like to be the housewife and stay home and cook

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Delightful Clijsters begins farewell tour

<LI class=byline>Margie McDonald, Sydney International
January 08, 2007ABSOLUTELY, positively, definitely this is the last time you will see Kim Clijsters on Australian tennis courts.

"This is it -- you'd better believe it," Clijsters said in Sydney yesterday, after stepping off a plane from Hong Kong where she beat Maria Sharapova in the final of an eight-woman exhibition event. The year 2007 will be Clijsters' Farewell Tour to the women's professional circuit, where she first debuted back in 1997, reaching the quarter-finals of an ITF Challenger event in her native Belgium.
It has been a decade of highs and lows since, including being runner-up in four grand slam events before finally winning her first at the 2005 US Open. But although Clijsters has given 100 per cent every season, she says there is nothing that will make her change her decision to retire.
It has already been three years since the delightful young woman known affectionately as 'Aussie Kim' and 'Our Kim' because of her former relationship with Lleyton Hewitt, has played the Medibank International, which began yesterday.
Clijsters withdrew from the tournament last January after straining a hip muscle. She flew straight to Melbourne for treatment to save her Australian Open campaign. She reached the semi-finals but had to retire against Amelie Mauresmo when she rolled her right ankle.
In 2005 Clijsters had not fully recovered from wrist surgery to remove a cyst and did not play in either Sydney or Melbourne.
Reflecting on her time at the top -- Clijsters has only once finished the season outside the top five since 2001 -- she said it was the injuries and time away from home that cemented her retirement plan. She does not know when her last tournament will be but she will be walking down the aisle in July to marry professional basketballer Brian Lynch.
Asked why she was not waiting until her tennis career was over, she said: "It's not just my career, Brian has a career as well. There is not just one person getting married. And I like to get married in the (northern) summer."
That speaks volumes about the way Clijsters operates. In the hurly burly of the professional game, the 23-year-old has always been considerate of others.
But when it comes down to really wanting something, she grits her teeth.
As she will on court over the next few weeks.
"My focus is so much on the tennis stuff, (retiring) doesn't really come to my mind until I'm actually out of the tournament. Then it kind of hits you a bit," Clijsters said.
"As a tennis player you kind of think this life will go on forever but it doesn't. You start looking at the beautiful things of this life that we have. You definitely appreciate the small things and the people that you meet."
When she injured her wrist last August in Montreal and had to withdraw from two special events -- the US Open and Fed Cup final against Italy -- Clijsters thought the curtain may fall then. She had never felt so low.
"That was really hard. I think it was the first time that I was really, really down and disappointed. It takes a few days to get your mind clear and re-focus."
Playing a consistently high standard game has been what drives Clijsters. It is definitely not the associated celebrity status tennis players attract.
"I don't really like the spotlight. I find happiness in a lot of other things. Playing tennis to me is not being a celebrity.
"I love the sport but I'm not the girl who does photo shoots. I think it's great in tennis that we have those girls who enjoy that. They bring in a lot of sponsorship deals and spectators.
"But for me, I like to be the housewife and stay home and cook and take care of my dogs."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21024266-2722,00.html

Tenis Srbija
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
:help:

hablo
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM
"But for me, I like to be the housewife and stay home and cook and take care of my dogs."

Well, she's also made more money than most people do in three lifetimes, so . . . :p

(I hope she's not so traditional as to not have a pre-nup made.)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'll respect every Kim's decision and I hope she'll be happy with Brian when she retires ;)

crazillo
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
She is one of the few players I believe in 100%-ly.

SpankMe
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm sure most housewives would like to be millionaries too :lol:
Maybe Kim can help them out with a bit of spare cash. :lol:
I wonder if she will have someone to help her with the cleaning? :lol:
She will still have an accountant and a stock broker or two :lol: :rolleyes:
She will still hire private jets for exclusive holidays so her life will not be like the average housewife, who has to cook, wash the dishes, wash the clothes, vacuum, tidy up, put the clothes away, take the kids to and from school, help with the homework, deal with her husband's stress and her own and work a partime job to make ends meet and pay the mortgage while caring for elderly and frail relatives.

So,,,,she hasn't really set anything back at all.

She lives in a very priviledged society where she is free of all pressure and the choice is completely hers and she knows it :D ;)

irma
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Bodo will be happy with her!

canoe.
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I thought she was already doing that.

MatchpointPRT
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Lol! Kim will have lots of time to be housewife... I think she will realize that being at home is boring...

starr
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Lol! Kim will have lots of time to be housewife... I think she will realize that being at home is boring...

I think she willhave children very soon,and will think her children are the most facinating things. There willbe toomuch going on in her life with family and friends for her tobe bored.

LUXXXAS
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
God! She's like Lindsay :tape: :) but they were born the on same day so it's not shocking :)

manu32
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
hello Bree.......

Slumpsova
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
:help: :help:

partbrit
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
What troubles me about Kim is how eager she seemed to get down to the business of getting married. She became engaged rather quickly after her breakup with Hewitt. I know she wants a domestic life with children, and I wish her all the best with it, but I have to wonder how hasty this was.

njnetswill
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I think Kim is very sick of tennis and life on the tour. The opposite of being a full time female athlete would be to become a housewife I guess.

Paneru
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Whatever makes her happy.

Very much respect to Kim for
saying and doing what she feels
is right for her at this point in her life. :cool:

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I do not know what to think of this. How old is Kim now, twentythree or something? Why would she want to settle down already. Doesn't she have any more goals in tennis? I honestly think she will do as Martina did (for totally different reasons, obviously). But Kim will be back in two maybe three years. When she matured, tasted life, and starts to miss tennis.

Reuchlin
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
ya, she'll be bored out of her mind in 1 month. Not saying that being a houseparent is boring per se--it just might be for someone who has spent their entire life traveling, meeting new interesting people, winning important matches...etc. etc.

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
ya, she'll be bored out of her mind in 1 month.

Exactly! Isn't her boyfriend an athlete too? She is going to miss 'the life', I am sure of that.

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well whatever Kim decides to do I respect her decision & how she wants to enjoy her life. Happiness is the only thing I'm sure that matters to Kim & whatever she does i'm sure will make her happy.

And seriously some ppl, could you respect her decision a bit more.

KClijsters
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Well whatever Kim decides to do I respect her decision & how she wants to enjoy her life. Happiness is the only thing I'm sure that matters to Kim & whatever she does i'm sure will make her happy.

Yes, I agree with you. It's her decision and we have to respect that.

PLP
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM

I agree!

I think some of us though, including me, find it a bit strange when the truth is that she just beat the #2 player in the world in Str8 sets and it is obvious that she could be playing top 5 tennis for years to come!!

Still, Kimmie is obviously doing what she feels is right and you have to respect that. She seems to have a lot of love to give and she is going to make a Fantastic mom!! :)

Becool
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM
She likes being submissive

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I agree!

I think some of us though, including me, find it a bit strange when the truth is that she just beat the #2 player in the world in Str8 sets and it is obvious that she could be playing top 5 tennis for years to come!!

Still, Kimmie is obviously doing what she feels is right and you have to respect that. She seems to have a lot of love to give and she is going to make a Fantastic mom!! :)

i wish she could continue on playing tennis for another few more years cause she could achieve a lot in the game but however we have to respect her decision & whatever makes her happy, i'll be happy :D

RJWCapriati
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
how.........................................tradit ional.:help: :tape:

PLP
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:50 PM
i wish she could continue on playing tennis for another few more years cause she could achieve a lot in the game but however we have to respect her decision & whatever makes her happy, i'll be happy :D

Absolutely!

I really hope she can win a singles GS this year! She is too good of a player! She is by no means a '1-slam' wonder and I hate it when people call her that! :mad:

Does anybody know if Kimmie is planning on playing Doubles at the slams this year!? WOnder who she will play with if she does? :wavey:

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
With both Kim and her fiance' being international athletes and traveling apart a lot, she probably yearns for more time together right now, hence, "I like to be the housewife and stay home..."

However, after retirement, and they begin spending more and more time together, expect to see her occasionally at WTA events and probably take up World Team Tennis.

If she is truly serious about permanent retirement, she will start her own academy and begin the occasional commentating role on Eurosport.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
:help:

:lol: :haha:

Alfie
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:14 PM
For tennis players and other professionals who MUST travel for a living,
staying at home is a luxury.

She's been travelling since she was a junior and turned professional with a full-time job at an age when most teenagers get to hang out with friends and go to the high school prom (sure, she got to go to the Wimbledon Ball instead as a consolation prize, but at the cost of spending time with family and friends). For someone who's been living out of a suitcase for years, it's not surprising that she'd like to settle down.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be with the person she loves. She has repeatedly said how much she loves being in Belgium with all her family and friends. Also, it's not fun playing and having to train through injuries.

Geez, some of the posters here make being a housewife out to be a crime. Kim is lucky that she can likely spend as much time as she likes with her family.

Martian Stacey
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Well at least I get to see her for one last time in Sydney :)

!<blocparty>!
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
It has already been three years since the delightful young woman known affectionately as 'Aussie Kim' and 'Our Kim' because of her former relationship with Lleyton Hewitt, has played the Medibank International, which began yesterday.

Kimmie is so SWEET.

Have fun taking care of your doggies!

austennis
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yea i think people forget the fact that she has been travelling for the last 10years.. and her life as tennis professional has been going for a decade already.. shes an awesome player and everyone needs to step back and enjoy the kim farewell tour.. because few players are as loved as she and it will be hard to replace her..

thrust
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Don^t be surprised if she is back on tour in a year or two. I would like to see her win the AO this year.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I don't like Clijsters that much, and I will admit I've been disappointed the past two years about her retirement pronouncements. It sounds like a loser who just wants to get off the court really quickly. But I do understand she's been on the tour for a decade now, and that there are more important things than tennis. The idea of retiring at 23 just always sounded so...blase.

Still, Clijsters was a valuable opponent. And sorry to anyone who disagrees, but you are not a one Slam wonder when you make five Slam finals and lose 12-10 in the third in one of them. So rest assured, even if Clijsters doesn't win another Slam, she had a ton of success at the Slams.

So yeah, enjoy your dogs. CATS ARE BETTER.

henmanhill
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
She likes being submissive
She's not being submissive. She's doing what she feels is right for her. She's a very intelligent woman and wouldn't be giving up such a successful and lucrative career unless she thought that there were more important things in life. I really respect her for this. She's not obssessed with moeny and fame like some of the other women on the tour. I hope she is very happy in retirement and I'm sure she will be. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Kimmie.

winone23
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Good luck Kim!!! Nothing wrong with living the quiet life for a few years.

partbrit
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I have always taken her seriously when she says she wants to get out before her body is totally destroyed. I can't blame her for that, even though I'll sure miss her.

hingisGOAT
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM
years down the line she will be crying herself to sleep over this :weirdo: decision

Dawn Marie
Jan 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Kim is only 23 but has spent so much time NOT BEING 23. She's been traveling and working hard on the tour. So to settle down and have and ENJOY her children while she herself is still young probably sounds ENJOYABLE to her psyche.

Now when she spends another 5 years home with toddlers then she'll probably wished she didn't ruch into marriage and babies so soon.

Kim imho should take a break and kick it with the boyfriend come back for 3 years and THEN have children. So around 28 would be a great time for children and imho marriage.

parn2257
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:45 AM
it sad that we will not be seeing her next year. Kim is the best tennis player.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Bless her heart :kiss: