PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo hungry for more grand slam glory

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Mauresmo hungry for more grand slam glory

Sun 07 Jan, 11:14 AM

SYDNEY (AFP) - Amelie Mauresmo says she is hungering for more grand slam glory after her breakthrough victory in last year's Australian Open.
Mauresmo has fond memories of Australia after her hollow victory over Justine Henin-Hardenne in the 2006 final at Melbourne Park.
Henin-Hardenne retired with an upset stomach while trailing 6-1 2-0, leaving Mauresmo to claim the grand slam trophy - seven years after her only previous appearance in a major final, also in Melbourne.
Mauresmo had success over Henin-Hardenne in the Wimbledon final six months later and is now eyeing an Australian Open encore.
"I want more because once you've tasted what it's like you want more," Mauresmo said Sunday ahead of her appearance at this week's Sydney International.
The French world No.3 will be top seed at the Sydney International following Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal last week after the reported break-up of her marriage and the absence of Maria Sharapova.
Henin-Hardenne will also not be playing in the Australian Open.
"I'm looking forward to being back in Melbourne, to feel what it's like to come back to a place where you had a grand slam the year before," Mauresmo said.
Mauresmo, who has also had two spells as the world No.1, said being a grand slam champion had brought contentment to her life.
"The relief is really there professionally but also in my normal life," said the Geneva-based 27-year-old.
"It was really starting to get to my mind and I was starting to ask myself some questions - am I going to finish my career without a grand slam? - and it was starting to be a little bit painful.
"I've now achieved all that I've said I would love to achieve in my career."
"It (the relief at winning a grand slam) translates into my game, being a bit a looser and also off the court, not being so stressed out."
Mauresmo has spent the brief off-season cross-country skiing in Europe to prepare for the rigours of an Australian summer campaign.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/07012007/3/mauresmo-hungry-grand-slam-glory.html

améliemomo
Jan 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
AMEN!:)

thanks for the article:kiss: :wavey:

Mileen
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
She also went to the Seychelles and met Justine over there!

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
great to see that amelie still has that hunger for success :yeah:

MyskinaManiac
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I didn't read the first post or any for that matter, but when I read the thread title I was like "like she wouldn't be hungry for more slam success, which top ten player isn't?"

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Good Luck MOMO :D :bounce:

pumbark
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
beat them all:smooch:

Sefo
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Amelie has real chances to win Sydney, but I won't be cheering for her in Melbourne.

Barbarela
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Amelie has real chances to win Sydney, but I won't be cheering for her in Melbourne.

Ok!:rolleyes:

That was a very important statement! Amelie must be very sad when she knows that you won't be cheering for her! It will be a great disapoitment to her!

Natalicious
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
thx for the article!

ALLEZ :worship: :worship:

Wayn77
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
... and I fully expect the great Amelie to add to her Slam tally in 2007.

ALLEZ! :worship: :worship:

sapir1434
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Go for it Amelie :hearts:

stevos
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
The French world No.3 will be top seed at the Sydney International following Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal last week after the reported break-up of her marriage and the absence of Maria Sharapova.

WTF Who the hell said Maria wouldn't be there? Am I missing something huge here or what? I dont recall Maria pulling out :shrug: :fiery:

Lefty.
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM

WTF Who the hell said Maria wouldn't be there? Am I missing something huge here or what? I dont recall Maria pulling out :shrug: :fiery:

She wasn't entered in Sydney in the first place. :secret:

hablo
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I didn't know that Maria was supposed to play in Sydney :lol::p

Allez Momo (those are some recycled quotes in that article though!) :bounce:

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Allez Ame

Hugo24
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Go Amelie

stevos
Jan 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
She wasn't entered in Sydney in the first place. :secret:

:tape: :o

Since the article was about "Grand Slam Glory" I thought it meant she wasnt going to be in the AUSTRALIAN open :o

My bad.

Lapin
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks goldenlox! :)

Bonne chance Amélie! :yeah:

henmanhill
Jan 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I didn't read the first post or any for that matter, but when I read the thread title I was like "like she wouldn't be hungry for more slam success, which top ten player isn't?"
I must say, that's what I thought too.

esquímaux
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Allez babe :kiss: