PDA

View Full Version : Molik wants a showdown in a final against Williams

santhuruu
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/article.aspx?id=4&articleid=ArticleID20071720916&pageId=11675&HandlerId=1

Molik eyes Williams showdown

7 January, AAP - Alicia Molik says a finals showdown in Hobart with former world No.1 Serena Williams would present the perfect lead-up to the Australian Open.

The field of 32 at the tier four, $US170,000 ($A217,155) Tennis International includes 15 of the world's top 50 players, with wildcard Molik ranked 165 and unseeded Williams 95.

Molik and Williams have met only twice before, and both times Williams has triumphed.

But Molik believes the chance to play the seven-times grand slam winner again would bring out her best, should both win through to the Friday night final.

"I'd love to play her," Molik said.

"Playing against the best players is how you gauge yourself, so the higher ranked player you play, the better."

"I always raise my level when I play the better girls."

Both players are trying to re-establish themselves in world tennis after major injuries.

Molik suffered an inner-ear problem which affected her balance and kept her off the circuit throughout 2006, while Williams suffered with her ankle and knee.

"The only chance of us playing each other is in the final," Molik said.

"If I got to that stage I wouldn't care who I played - a final's a final.

"The fact that she's here in Hobart, one of the smaller events on the Tour calendar, means she is really preparing herself for the summer and taking it extremely seriously."

Molik has started the year well, winning two of her three matches at the Hopman Cup in Perth last week, including a victory over world No.6 Nadia Petrova of Russia.

"I've been working on my aggressive game," she said.

"You could see in Perth I was going for it.

"Beating Nadia last week ... that was my first match of the year, so I'm pretty happy with that.

"I couldn't really ask much more of myself leading into this event."

Molik said the Hobart event would be beneficial in more ways that one leading in to Melbourne.

"I love rebound ace courts, it's where my serve really kicks and works, especially with the heat in Melbourne," she said.

"I'm hoping it warms up here as well because it suits my bigger game, my attacking, aggressive game style."

Molik's expectations for 2007 will start humble.

"I haven't set too many goals, but I'd like to get at least a couple of matches here in Hobart," she said.

"It's always great to play in the finals, but its been a long time since I've seen one."

Molik's first-round opponent is Croatian Jelena Kostanic, ranked 47 in the world while Williams will meet Swede Sofia Arvidsson, ranked 63.

Both women will start their Hobart campaigns tomorrow.

miss_molik
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I hope they meet. It will be awesome!!!!:D :hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
:yeah: here's to both!

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM
yeah, would be terrific if alicia confronted serena & it would indicate how both of them are playing against each other at the moment.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Thats just the sort of Final the WTA needs to KICK START the season in a major way :bounce:

Hingie
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Brave of Molik to say so.

Even though i haven't seen her play, i think Serena would prove too much for Alicia. Serena too, has a great ability to pick up her play against the better players - it was almost a matter of her being able to stay focussed and getting through the earlier rounds.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Brave of Molik to say so.

Even though i haven't seen her play, i think Serena would prove too much for Alicia. Serena too, has a great ability to pick up her play against the better players - it was almost a matter of her being able to stay focussed and getting through the earlier rounds.

I think the deciding factor could be MATCH PLAY TOUGHNESS. Alicia played allot of ball over the past few weeks. However, you can never count out a 7 time grand slam winner :lol: So i do not know if i would bet on that one :lol: :p

Hingie
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I think the deciding factor could be MATCH PLAY TOUGHNESS. Alicia played allot of ball over the past few weeks. However, you can never count out a 7 time grand slam winner :lol: So i do not know if i would bet on that one :lol: :p

Well i would be very surprised if Molik scored a win over S.Williams. She's just too awkward on court! :p

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Well i would be very surprised if Molik scored a win over S.Williams. She's just too awkward on court! :p

I hope we get to find out. They both still have to win 4 matches first :lol: :p

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:58 AM
That would be a nice final. Even nicer is the fact that Serena would win it :D !

SloKid
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, Serena is a 7-time grand slam winner, but she's not playing like one.

She's not the same player now, I think a lot of people still have that in their heads. She has a decent draw though.

I could see Alicia possibly getting to the semis at least.

Alicia Rocks
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Don't get ahead of yourself Alicia :unsure: :lol: But yeah would be a hot match :drool: One match at a time Ala :D

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
id like that final

hdfb
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Molik. Take it one match at a time. Judging from Hopman Cup you are still shaky.... but yes it's a final I'd love to see!

Andy.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
That would the ideal final

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Molik treats Anna C like garbage.
No respect at all for the #12 in the world.

Ben.
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Alicia just take it one match at a time. it'll help her to focus better.

santhuruu
Jan 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well you know guys, I'm sure Alicia takes one step at a time don't worry, and she does have respect for other players, in that article it doesn't say anything that Alicia has no respect for other players. She is just sharing her thoughts with us.

MH0861
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think Alicia should first concentrate on setting up a BLOCKBUSTER 2nd round match before talk of getting to the final. :)

Adal
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM
It would be great if these two will meet in the final.

Carsten
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would love to see Alicia in the final :) but it doesn't have to be vs. Serena :lol:

LUXXXAS
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Alicia :help::tape: I hope you can win first round match...

Mina Vagante
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
would be a GREAT final- only if serena wins though :lol:

.Andrew.
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
:bounce:

ASP0315
Jan 7th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Finals between Alicia and Serena would be great because they are going to be booming serves on both sides. :lol:

But First they need concentrate on one match at a time because if they think about finals they are going to lose in 2nd round.

PatrickRyan
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Take her down Rena :boxing: :armed: :tennis:

Tenis Srbija
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I want million bucks...but ain't gonna happen :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM
:bigclap: You guy are PRICELESS! :yeah:

:rolleyes: go hate on someone new. Leave Alicia and Serena alone....
:secret: and Chloe dear, Serena's not on any XBox360 games ;) wise up! She's only on SCT2 and VT2k2! :yeah::lol:

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Go leesha :)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
If Svetlana Kuznetsova and Jamea Jackson can look attractive on XBOX360, anything’s possible.
:confused: what are you talking about?

Mina Vagante
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
:confused: what are you talking about?

lol

SelesFan70
Jan 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
And so do I! :D

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Be careful what you wish for :devil:

Aaron.
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Alicia :help::tape: I hope you can win first round match... Same thoughts here :tape: :lol: